main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Story of my trip home, and Duel of the Fates

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by blackjack86, Jul 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackjack86

blackjack86 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 14, 2002
    (Slight disclaimer: If you are an impressionable teenager who just got his driver's license or are prone to drive fast; please DO NOT try what I did.)

Let me preface this story with a little information about myself. I'm a life-long Star Wars fan, and I'm currently working on an MA in England but my home is Cincinnati, OH.

This is just a story I thought I'd share for your reading pleasure. It has to do with the last time I went home, which was for Easter break in March:

My car is a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am with the 3100 V6 engine (3100 I believe stands for the Cubic centimeter displacement, although in actuality it's closer to 3130cc). It's got some decent muscle, although nothing TOO impressive, I can't outrun a Mustang or anything like that. But I'm absolutely smitten with this car. Those of you who know me know that I'm a car buff, which is part of the reason I'm a George Lucas fan. My parents tried to sell it when I went to England, but they had no luck in doing so. I call it divine intervention because they've decided to hold onto the car until I get back. God bless 'em. So when I go home, I have my car waiting for me.

I love driving, and I've never been able to put my finger on the pulse of why. I think my reasons are somewhere between the freedom of driving, and the control of all that power. Whatever. I'm a freak because when I have to go to the store to get something, I get excited because it means I get to drive. So you can imagine how pumped I was to drive after months and months of not being able to. Just before I went home I saw the "Forbidden Love" trailer for the first time. There was a very specific part, which only lasted three seconds probably, which sent absolute shivers up my spine. It was Anakin on the speeder bike, tearing across Tatooine at dusk, the sound of the engine accelerating and the throb of "Duel of the Fates".

I have the soundtrack to Phantom Menace in my car; so the first time I get to drive the car after coming back was to go see my brother who lives in an apartment about 20 minutes down the highway. I decided that I would listen to Duel of the Fates while driving; and since no one was with me I could listen to it as loud as I wanted.

So I'm barreling down the highway for the first time in months, thrilled. Duel of the Fates begins, swells. I go faster. It swells even more. I push harder. The chorus and orchestra climax and I'm soaring. The biggest adrenaline rush I've had in almost a year takes me completely out of rationality, and the pavement is screaming by underneath me. I glance briefly in my mirrors to make sure there are no cops, and then I look at my speedometer.

I'm doing almost 100 m.p.h, and I could have gone much faster.

Needless to say I snapped back into it and slowed my roll. It was really foolish of me and I don't drive like that anymore. I made it to my brother's place and we had a nice reunion.

Anyway, that was my story of me and Star Wars music. Happy reading!

2. Darth_Silenous

Darth_Silenous Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 21, 2002
    Interesting.

Actually, I'm not surprised. Star Wars music can be very...stimulating.

:D

3. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    That was fun to read! :)

4. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Hmmmm...

Blackjack - Never his mind on where he was, hmm. What he was doing!

You are reckless!! ;)

Let's hope for wreckless for all of us while driving to the thrill of JW!! :)

5. AmeiaSkywalker

AmeiaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

May 28, 2001
    Hey Ken, at least he didn't get a ticket for speeding! ;)

6. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    I just got my license. :D

Now I just need to get a CD player in my car. :(

Then I can listen to "Escape from Cloud City" or DOTF. :D :D

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

7. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Also be wary of Hyperspace, Imperial Cruiser Pursuit and The Battle of Yavin!!

8. MasterWiz

MasterWiz Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    Cool.:D
    I had the same expirience while on the bumperboats at Golfland a couple of weeks back.

9. MachinatingMachiavel

MachinatingMachiavel Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 1, 2002
    hehe, I understand how the power of music sometimes affects people. Just as long as people don't go thinking listening to strong music gives you a right to drive like a madman.

I mean, at least you were on a highway, where speed is permitted. But I CANNOT STAND those @$$#*LE$ that rip their way down residential areas with their f-ing honda civics that are a quarter inch from the ground quadrupling the residental speed limit. I feel like throwing a pop can in front of them. One of the cars that are known to do it my area found itself spending some time with a street light and a whole lot of onlookers and a couple tow trucks.

10. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Hyperspace is crazy.

11. Alderaan_

Alderaan_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Hey, I wanna try that...

12. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm not much for mush or anything, but the first time I listened to the Love Theme from AOTC, I was driving at sunset. Something weird happened and everything was timed perfectly, as the love theme swelled, I drove over an overpass, and the sun was a beautiful orange-purple color as it set over the farm fields and country side.

It got me a little choked up.

On a more...manly note. :p I often find myself speeding and do more daring things while driving when DotF is on, as well as some of the end battle pieces from ROTJ. :D

13. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    bait, weirdly enough, when I was just driving to ATS 3 days ago, I thought that this Theme would work best at sunset.

Evidently it did.

[image=http://bestanimations.com/Sci-Fi/StarWars/Emporer-01.gif]
    ~Sithman~

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.