main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Story Swap Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Herman Snerd, May 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Thanks, Leona. I'd never done mace/qui humor before.

2. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    SilSolo

Once a Jedi, Always Serving the Order

"Congratulations, you have a healthy boy." The woman smiled with what energy she still retained as the long awaited words finally landed on her ears. A lock of large, jet-black curls was pushed aside as a medical droid handed her the child.

Like the mother, the boy's flawless skin had a rich, chocolate tone. Also like his mother before him, the child projected a powerful presence through the Force. It was as if the pallid and powerless parent never existed.

The dreaded moment came when the medical droid read the boy's midi-chlorian count. I guess we can't keep this one, either. The woman sensed the thought from her husband. She almost sighed. "No, Davin, he'll have to go in half a year. I have to keep my word."

Almost every sentient being in the Republic knew the cost of willfully resigning from the Jedi Order, especially for the purpose of marriage. The woman, like every other who had followed her path, had signed a contract before leaving the Jedi. Every Force-strong child born to a former Jedi was to be turned over to the crèche in the Jedi temple at six standard months, or an equivalent age for each non-human species.

"Would you like for your son to become a Jedi?" The medical droid offered the Davin and his ex-Jedi wife a datapad.

"Yes, he must. I have no choice." The woman groaned.

"Nomi!" Davin nearly shouted in desperation. He then recoiled. "Never mind." He then thought as loudly as a non-Force sensitive could. I just don't want to lose Mace like we did Xena.

"Ma'am, were you a Jedi?" The somewhat curious droid inquired the woman after receiving hints from both her name and her words.

"Yes, I was a Jedi Knight once." The dark skinned woman admitted hesitantly.

"Very well. Would you for like a convoy to transport your son from your residence to the Jedi temple?" The droid resumed his job.

The woman's rich, dark eyes connected with the almost identical ones of her son. How she wished she was never a Jedi so she could keep this child for almost two decades! Realization hit the ex-Jedi. This boy was more powerful than his mother and sister combined, and it would be selfish and cruel, not only to the child, but to the entire galaxy, to withhold a great Jedi.

"I'll take him to Coruscant." The woman finally decided.

"But?" Davin began to protest.

"He's much stronger than Xena. We-we can't keep him. The galaxy deserves another great Jedi." With those words, Nomi Da Boda Windu collapsed from the exhaustion that no Force-induced trance could wash away.

"You can train him!"

"No, hun, Mace deserves a Jedi Master, not an ex-Knight." The ex-Jedi barely moaned.

"We can't just lose another child like that!"

"We didn't lose any kids. The galaxy gained two more defenders. If we're lucky, Mace and Xena will come to us, as Jedi Masters." As she heard the words that Jedi training had brought out, insight once again visited her. Nomi could only hope that Mace would discover Xena the way his mother had found her siblings and that her children, unlike their mother before them, would find and speak with their parents.

More tears streaked down Nomi's face as she remembered her painful and futile attempts to locate Taior Da Boda, the man who, forty years ago, had done to Nomi and her siblings what the woman did to Xena. And now Mace The woman sighed. Such was the cruel and yet generous way of the Jedi. Even after one resigned, that person would still serve the order by turning in their offspring.

CodeName_Targeter continuation:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn?t something that she liked, and it wasn?t something that she?d ever like. At times, she felt herself almost hating the Jedi, whom she had once been a part of, for taking for two beautiful children from her.

All she wanted was to live her husband Davin and to raise their two children together

3. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Herman Snerd, when are you posting the next one? I want to see what Targeter did to my plot bunny.

LOL, I swear I picked tonight's story before reading that.

Sorry for not posting last night. Events conspired to keep me offline.

4. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Aww, it's so sad! It's great seeing where Mace's origins are... and the tragedy of Theia, poor family! Really gets into the heart of the whole Jedi w/out attachment thing.

5. SilSolo

SilSolo Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2004
    *grins* Targeter, if you're reading this, I like the way you ended that.

Virtual cookies to whoever guesses my little ToTJ hint (PM me your guesses if you will).

6. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Aww, that was so sad, you guys! But in a good waY1 Very nice! :)

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, sad, but proud and wonderful. Well done, both of you.

8. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    Very sad. This was a really original idea. Interesting notion with the former Jedi having to give their children to the Temple.

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So, when am I up?

10. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    I missed some and I am supposed to be working so I have to be quick, I think people have done very well with these. =D= to all.

I do have to add I really liked the story about Mace's birth. It was sad and yet wonderful and caught my attention in particular because I have a Mace story going (slower than molasses in January, but going) and it made me wonder about his family when I started thinking about him as a padawan prior to starting the story. I love getting a glimpse at another user's view of his family. Though I feel terrribly sorry for them and I may have to invent an AU in my own mind and for my own comfort in which Nomi survives the third birth and the three live happily ever after.

KD

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yes, I always want to write mace, but don't quite have the guts to.

12. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Aww, thanks guys!!

SilSolo: It was awesome writing "with" you! I did stare blankly at my screen for a few days though, lol. :p I can't wait to see what you did with mine. :)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I can't wait to find out who the heck had the first part of the story I had to write. I totally loved the characters.

14. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Bobill: It is sad, isn't it? That bunny's darkness was second only to the vampire fics I have but never posted (ok, I had one on fanfiction.net).

Lusa_Thul: I'm glad it's sad in a good way.

DarthIshtar: Thanks

Indra: This was a really original idea. Interesting notion with the former Jedi having to give their children to the Temple.

I figured there had to be some way for the Jedi to keep their numbers up. It started out as a viggie but then I thought of the challenge and decided that a second author could add to what I already had.

Knight_Dilantette:

I do have to add I really liked the story about Mace's birth.

Well that just jumped into my head.

It was sad and yet wonderful and caught my attention in particular because I have a Mace story going (slower than molasses in January, but going) and it made me wonder about his family when I started thinking about him as a padawan prior to starting the story. I love getting a glimpse at another user's view of his family.

Really? What's your fic? As for another author's perspective, that's one of ther reasons I submitted this for the challenge.

Though I feel terrribly sorry for them and I may have to invent an AU in my own mind and for my own comfort in which Nomi survives the third birth and the three live happily ever after.

I feel like doing that, too, and were Nomi one of the OCs that I really adore (like Prince Ulic and Sheng Lah), I'd have done that.

Targeter: I had to stare at the printed paper blankly when I got your half. It's awesome writing the second half of your cooking story as well. :D

More, soon, Herman?

15. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Almost every sentient being in the Republic knew the cost of willfully resigning from the Jedi Order, especially for the purpose of marriage. The woman, like every other who had followed her path, had signed a contract before leaving the Jedi. Every Force-strong child born to a former Jedi was to be turned over to the crèche in the Jedi temple at six standard months, or an equivalent age for each non-human species.

What?? That is so unfair!! And nothing more than a barbaric punishment for those who want something other then the Order. Hmmm, as if I needed another reason to dislike the rules of the Jedi Order.

Okay, I can see the Mace's mother is far more sympathetic to the needs of the galaxy then I... kudos to her strength.

Nooo, Nomi can't die after finally having a child they can raised together!!! That is so heartbreaking... poor Davin.

SilSolo, CodeName_Targeter , First you make me mad then you drive me to tears. This is what I love about fanfic... the stirring of emotions it evokes. That was wonderful.

16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, that is very unfair.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    ::Taps foot.::

18. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    Can't wait for more :)

19. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Apparently, we will.

20. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, it is a holiday weekend here in the states. For some folks that may mean more time on the boards. For others it will mean less. For me it means way less, as in sneaking on and posting and then shutting down the computer again before my family catches me at it. Good thing I'm the mommy.

KD

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, I was going to have a nice lie-in this morning, but our building got struck by lightning at 8 a.m., setting off all the fire alarms and making us all run out into the pouring rain in our pajamas and whatever shoes we had near the bed and hoping we wouldn't get struck ourselves. So, yeah, holiday was pretty typical.

22. SilSolo

Mar 5, 2004
    Ok finally got back and can't believe that overgrown Beast Wars plot bunny has been bonking my head non-stop throughout French class today.

Leona and Ish, it's not fair. Nomi's attitude isthe way it is because of her Jedi upbringing. She grew up in teh Jedi Templeand that willinfluence her thinking for as long as she lives.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, that tends to stick with you.

24. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Sorry, everyone. I had an unexpectedly busy holiday weekend, albeit a pleasant one. :)

Now for the mirror image of the last story bit that went up.

Codename_Targeter

?Master, are you sure we should be doing this?? Obi-Wan asked nervously, glancing around behind them once more with both his eyes and the Force.

A loud bump and a muffled curse emerged from the room in which his master Qui-Gon, was currently in while he stood outside the door as a guard of sorts. ?Of course I am, padawan,? came the calm reply. ?You should learn not to doubt your master.?

?I?m not doubting you, Master, just questioning on whether or not this is all really necessary,? the teen replied.

?Necessary? Learning how to do this is one of the building blocks of life! Or at least so I?ve been told,? Qui-Gon replied, tone rather happy.

Obi-Wan rolled his eyes and sighed inwardly. ?While it?s nice to finally see you not brooding about Xantos, this is a turn in a totally different direction than I would have expected!?

?You worry too much, my young padawan learner,? the older man replied with a smile, as he backed out of the room, arms filled with boxes and canisters.

?What are those for?? Obi-Wan asked curiously.

He winked as he placed the items into the small bag which he had insisted on bringing along. ?You should already know, padawan, but you?ll see in a little bit.?

The two of them proceeded to head back towards their chambers, passing through the empty halls of the Jedi Temple. It was strange, Obi-Wan thought, seeing the Temple so deserted. During the day, it was bustling with Jedi, going to and fro, not to mention the crèche children who occasionally got loose from the Jedi in charge of them, and proceeded to wreck havoc upon the Temple.

He paused by one of the large and grand windows installed at the end of the hallway. Coruscaunt was still alive, even at this hour. It always was. On some of the missions he had gone on with his Master, he had heard the planet be referred to as ?The City that Never Sleeps.? It was definitely an accurate description if he had ever heard one.

?What are you looking at, padawan?? Qui-Gon asked, walking to stand beside him and looked out at the city below and beyond them as well.

?Oh, nothing, Master. Just the city in general,? Obi-Wan, replied calmly, hoping that Qui-Gon would forget about this little lesson he was planning.

?It is beautiful from a certain point of view,? Qui-Gon agreed before clapping a hand on the young man?s shoulder. ?But for now, we cannot stop and marvel at its beauty. I have a lesson planned, after all.?

Suppressing a groan of disappointment, Obi-Wan followed the Jedi Knight through the corridors back up towards where their rooms were. What he wouldn?t give for Siri or Garen to pop up and save him from this impending doom.

?I?m still not sure that the Council would approve of your stealing-? he objected, deciding to try another strategy.

At that, Qui-Gon stopped and turned to face him. ?Ah, but I?m not stealing.?

?Well what do you call taking all those things that you have in that bag without telling anyone that you did so then??

?Borrowing without permission and with little intention of return unharmed.?

Obi-Wan groaned and rolled his eyes as he had to jog to keep up with the pace being set by the other?s long stride. ?Ha-ha, very funny master. I?m sure Master Yoda will be ever so much amused by that.?

?Why thank you, padawan,? he replied dryly, sending a grin through their bond in the Force.

Silently wondering what drugs his Master had been taking, he continued to follow the Jedi Knight, trying to think up new objections that he might be able to use while ignore the rather off-key tune being whistled by a certain someone.

When at last, they reached their quarters, Obi-Wan finally asked, ?Master, out of curiosity, why in the galaxy did you decide to do this at 0200??

?A Jedi should be able to be awake at an hour, no matter how much sleep he has or has not gotten,? Qui-Gon replied cheer

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL! Awesome combination.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.