main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Story wise: Do we really need a Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    While it is certainly reasonable for fans to ask for more Star Wars movie, and see more jedi, wookies and spacebattles on the big screen again, I am wondering if it is really that necessary for anyone to make the sequel trilogy? Asides for having the chance to make money that is.

Why is it necessary to make a sequel to a film series that has ended pretty conclusively? As Lucas once said back in 05, the saga is complete. We have a story about the rise and fall of Darth Vader and his redemption in Ep6. Given that it is unlikely that Darth Vader would return, what are the possible story that is powerful enough to justify a sequel to Ep 6?

The story that we are likely to get is going to be a story about about the next generation inheriting the legacy of the original trio, but that would only make sense if you can identify what kind of legacy you are trying to pass on. Indiana Jones 4 was supposed to be something like this, and look how it end up in the end. So I am wondering if people can give strong reasons why there should be an EP 7 besides seeing more X-Wings and Jedi on the big screen again.

2. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Storywise, of course we don't. That's what makes it all a challenge-creating a story that retains the rationale for the events in ROTJ while making it seem like there's a need for more story.

It's not what we need but what we want in this case. The prequels were always what we needed to complete things. Despite no need, the ST is always what people wanted.

3. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    Story wise? I want Star Wars.

4. ray243

May 26, 2006

Which has nothing to do with need. Given that we already had the EU and the Clone Wars providing us with plenty of SW to enjoy.

5. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    Okay, I NEED Star Wars.

Do we really need any more reason than that?

6. ray243

May 26, 2006

Yes, if not we might as well just watch some SW fanfilm on youtube dueling each other with lightsaber.

7. LANDO_ROCKS

Nov 28, 2002
    You've got it round the wrong way, you're looking for a reason why when you should be asking why not?

It's a great universe, you can have a zillion plot lines which could all be fulfilling - of course you can't tell if it'll be good yet, but that's why it's fruitless and futile to ask why now.

melkor834, TK327, Master_Lok and 7 others like this.
  8. Myself656

Myself656 Jedi Master star 3

Feb 5, 2008
    The saga of Darth Vader was complete, but I didn't sign up to watch the saga of Darth Vader when I started watching Star Wars in 1980's... I signed up for the saga of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo and Princess Leia and that story isn't done yet.

9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    No, there's zero obvious story need. This does not equate to them not having coming up with a great story to tell over a new trilogy though. Also, more SW please.

TK327, Dewback, KED12345 and 4 others like this.
  10. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    The Legends lost many fans in recent years with their crap. I gave up reading them years ago too. This is a fresh startaway from that and I welcome it.

11. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Technically, we could say that we didn't need the story of the PT either, but we still got it. And really, despite the backlash it gets, it helps to enrich the story. I see the same being true for the ST.

Plus, if I want to be completely honest with myself, this is what I wanted all along - the continuation of the story of Luke Skywalker and co., so I'm ecstatic that there will be a ST at all.

12. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

Yes. When I got on this train, I was primarily in it for the story of Luke. As a kid, I thought Darth Vader was awesome, but the amount of character development he gets in IV-VI never made me think it was his story instead of Luke's. And I like Han, Leia, and Chewie and R2, etc. as well, and the Rebellion itself, but there's something about Luke's "leveling up" over the course of the three movies that I was and am really drawn to. I was never nearly as excited for the first half of Anakin's story as I am for the second half of Luke's. Something important ended in ROTJ, but to me there's something more important that still has a long way to go.

TK327, Red_Leader_313, DL44Jo and 3 others like this.
  13. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    Yah, of course it isn't necessary. You are right to point out that the first 6 films are complete as a story.

Where VII and beyond can be justified is showing exactly what balancing the force means. As far as I can tell, that means showing a galaxy where the light side is dominant and the dark side exists basically as a sort of cancer (as Lucas often describes it). So the new trilogy will either show dark side users who are either defeated by the Jedi or destroy themselves. I think the later would be a bit more poetic, as it would show that Vader put the dark side back into its natural state as much as he cleared the way for the rise of the Jedi.

14. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    On a macro level Star Wars is about how governments rise and fall and on a micro level it's a story about family. To put it another way it's about how societies evolve seen through the eyes of a family: the Skywalkers. We've seen the fall of the Republic alongside the fall of the father and we've seen the defeat of the Empire alongside the son's defeat of the dark side. What we haven't seen yet is the consequences of rebellion and how society can be put back together. I think that's definitely a worthy tale to tell.

15. ray243

May 26, 2006

The issue with Legends does bring up an issue of being able to justify the existence of having a story post-ROTJ. As of now, I have still being unable to actually find it hard to enjoy most of the novels, primarily because I find none of those stories really justified their existence beyond making more profit for Lucasfilm.

16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014

I don't want it. I just need it.

17. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014

That's the challenge they face with episode 7. I hope they are successful.

18. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    There's definitely no need for it.

I don't know about most people, but when ROTJ ended, I rarely speculated about what would happen next because, well, it just didn't seem very interesting. Everyone's story arc was complete, the villains were vanquished and it just didn't spark my imagintion. I did, however, speculate a LOT about what came before. How did the empire come about? What went down between Anakin and Obi-Wan? What exactly were the Clone Wars? Etc, etc. And now we know all that. So when I heard that they were making Episodes 7-9, I was both excited and a bit confused. How do you continue something that already has a clearly defined ending, without just making it seem like a somewhat pointless epilogue?

Now, I'm mainly wondering if, when all is said and done, will we end up with a cohesive 9-part story, or will we basically have a 6-part story, with a 3-part mini-story tacked on to the end? I'm hooping for a 9-part story. In other words, I want part 9 to feel like a grand conclusion to parts 1-8, not just a conclusion to parts 7 & 8. I'm not really sure, though, if it's realistic to hope for that.

19. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    I don't know about that. Making ST just for the next set of heroes does not fit into established SW narrative.
    This is a situation we've already been in, when the PT was announced. Many thought What's the point of another SW trilogy, or something similar, but they transformed the OT into the Saga by focusing on a very strong, but unexplored aspect of the OT: the fall of Anakin Skywalker. That's the one and only aspect of the ST that I'm curious about now, what plot element from the six-part saga have they taken as a basis for the next trilogy. If that element is good, if it evolves into something bigger that'll change our perspective on the PT/OT events, then the ST will fulfill its purpose... And became necessary.

20. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Star Wars is a serial, a space opera...it goes on forever!

dekaneas likes this.
  21. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    On the surface, this feels like another backdoor winge about the 'legends' status of the EU. TBH, we didn't 'need' any of the OT either - but I'm pleased that if the original creator had more stories to tell, I'm happy to be along for the ride...

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I NEED to know how many innocent construction workers where killed during the rebels assault on the second death star!

23. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Personally, I didn't need or even really want a sequel trilogy. I would've preferred that mainline Star Wars move in a different direction. What I did want was for Underworld to come out in a form that resembled what we heard about it from early interviews (Deadwood in space, more "talky", focusing more on the common man where the films focused on the elite). Plus, and regardless of recent statements on "canon", throughout the years I've already enjoyed quite a few novels based on what the original characters were up to post-ROTJ. Portions of that itch have long since been scratched.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  24. Dranem

Dranem JCF Banner Contest Winner star 1 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 31, 2012
    Did we need WWII? I mean, World War I had such a satisfying conclusion!

Seriously though, I think there is plenty of story to be tapped into. The force was put into balance at the end of ROTJ, but the conflict remains. I just hope they don't force something too similar to the Skywalker arc in the story.

darth ladnar likes this.
  25. thisguyisnotajedi

thisguyisnotajedi Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2014
    Need? Nope
    Want? Yes

Templiere, TK327 and Ryus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.