main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Story wise: Do we really need a Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hunter of Bounties

Hunter of Bounties Jedi Youngling

Jul 21, 2014
    I see no harm in new SW movies, and I don't see Disney contributing anything more than financial resources. I think the cast may be the biggest surprise with the ST, all those young start-ups likely in leading roles will be amazing if they can pull it off.

2. DarthLightlyBruise

DarthLightlyBruise Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2015
    Yes. I need it. I will eat up every Star Wars movie!

[​IMG]

3. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Well, George Lucas was the one who started the ST.

So either he thought we needed it or he didn't.

If he didn't, I guess he was just money hungry.

4. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    You could ask if ESB was really necessary. "Geek culture" will say of course, but then again in my experience it's not too uncommon to hear film fans who think the original '77 film remains the high point of the entire Star Wars brand.

Personally Underworld was the last time I was super excited for upcoming Star Wars, so no, I didn't need a sequel trilogy.

5. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    A Game of Thrones could be the story of the Rise and Fall of Ned Stark......but it is much more

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The Starks, the Lannisters, the Targaryens, the Baratheons, The Iron Born, Freys, Tully's, every other Major and Minor House out there, the Night's Watch, the Wildlings, Khal Drogo and his Horsemen, the Other's and so much more.

Millennium Fairlane likes this.
  7. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Which is what Star Wars will become

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Which it was under the EU.

9. star wars geek

star wars geek Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 20, 2014
    "Do we really need a sequel trilogy," you ask.

Hmm...

[​IMG]

:D

Knessa84 likes this.
  10. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Storywise, not at all. ROTJ wrapped everything up. The Sith are destroyed, Jabba and Boba are dead, the force is back in balance, the Empire is defeated, Anakin has rejoined the lightside, the rebels won, everyone is free again, and Han Solo lives. It will be hard for TFA not to muck this up royal. ROTJ didn't really leave anything open like the other films did. The heros won, finis.

11. Millennium Fairlane

Millennium Fairlane Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2014

I've never felt that the story was wrapped up: what follows the Empire? What did the Rebels win, the war or a major battle? Are there other Sith? Where'd they come from and could it happen again?

I've always had a dark view of a possible future after all the celebrate the love nonsense. So for me, yes, these do need to get made

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Still need to see the return of the Jedi Order. More Jedi other than Luke anyways. What about the planets that remained loyal to the Empire? Can the Rebellion become the dominant government in the galaxy? Will everyone accept the Rebellion? Etc.

13. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014
    And even on the personal stuff... "he's my brother!"

OK, yeah, stuff followed that for damn sure. And not all that stuff was good stuff.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing Leia come to terms with Vader being her Father, how Han reacts to that, how the galaxy reacts to that, how the next generation handles that. Will Leia be a Jedi? Will she let her kids be a Jedi, how will the kids handle being the children of the Big 3.

15. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    I think the only story element from the OT that didn't really have a resolution was Yoda's statement "there is another." Yes, we find out Leia is Luke's sister in ROTJ. But what makes her a "hope?" I think we'll find out in the OT, and it will have to do with the children she creates and possibly the decisions she makes.

All the other "what happens to the Empire/ Rebellion after Endor," and "What happens with the Jedi Order," is just stuff that us fans care about in terms of world-building. But none of it adds a lot to the "story" of a rebellion against an Empire, and a young boy's role in that via extraordinary powers.

That said, I think new stories can be created around the OT characters and their families anyway, and am happy to see the ST go there.

16. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

Maybe for me, Jedi was a 'kid' ending (especially when it was all 'celebrate the love' - that was one change I approved of in the SE!) ... problem was, I was a a teenager by the time it came out and wanted more. Maybe that's why fan fiction got so huge in SW, I wasn't alone.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Rebellion wanted to bring the Republic back. At the end of ROTJ all we have is the Emperor is dead and worlds are celebrating.
    The fall of the Jedi Order was a major part of the PT. The beginning of the return was in the OT but just like with the Rebellion to Republic plot line, the JO plot line is stalled. It's not complete.

Palpatine is dead but not everything he did has been fixed. What is the fallout of his death?

With the death of Anakin, who will be the one who saves the day?

Etc.

18. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Leaving the PT aside (which is essentially three movies of world-building) the implication at the end of ROTJ is that the Empire has been defeated, not that a minor battle is won. Read more into it if you like, but that was George's intention. That's why the only plot point I think was left open was how specifically Leia is a hope for the future. Her romance with Han made that implicit: her children would help bring peace and justice to the Galaxy.

The ST seems to be making that implicit suggestion explicit. We will see Leia's children do just that.

Can't wait!

19. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That might have been his intention pre-October 2012 but that was blown out the window with the introduction of the ST. The 6 part Saga is not the story anymore. You can see it that way but officially it is not. Not going to get into how often the guy changes his mind on things.

For as long as I can remember ROTJ was never the end for me. Seeing Luke become a Jedi Master and rebuild the Order, see the Rebellion take control of the galaxy from the Empire, what else was in the galaxy and might contend with the Rebels etc was always on my mind. Blame the EU if you want but that was a major part of SW for me for years.

20. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Fair enough. I want to see all that stuff happen too. I was just trying to home in on the clearest "unanswered questions" that the OT left us with, and I think Leia's legacy is at the heart of that. And, of course, the rebuilding of the Jedi Order will be tied up with it. Believe me. I'm just as excited as you are!

21. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    Some sort of new Republic, they won freedom for the galaxy which is made clear in the film, they clearly won the war, going by the rule of two there are no more Sith, they came from the shadows because they were not wiped out by the Jedi before.

22. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Do we NEED it, probably not. But then again we didn't NEED the PT. We didn't NEED TCW. We didn't NEED KOTOR. We don't NEED Rebels, etc. Does that mean that they automatically shouldn't be made, HELL NO! Plus it's really hard to argue whether the ST is "necessary" or "justified" since:

A. We don't know what the story is, either for Episode VII or the Trilogy as a whole.

and

B. What is "necessary" is REALLY subjective. Different people will have different views on that.

And no, the war being completely over is NOT clear from the movies (unless you count Lucas's "addition" for the Special Editions or whatever). They won ONE battle, that's it. Sheev is dead, and Vader is dead, ok. But here's the thing, empire's are generally set up to survive the death of one ruler. I could give you examples, but then we'd be here all night. And I simply don't believe that the ENTIRE Imperial fleet was destroyed at Endor (actually we never see it being destroyed at all, it just kind of disappears). Not to mention that the GE is MASSIVE. So it's not at all hard to believe that the Empire continued on and the war continued, even if it's stranglehold on the Galaxy was broken.

And even if the GE was gone completely, that doesn't mean that NO threats remain. So the Sith were behind ALL the evil in this universe, EVERY threat was tied to them. Yeah no, not buying that.

23. DarthLightlyBruise

Feb 11, 2015
    Right. I mean, the OT wasn't necessary either...We already had the Lord of the Rings books, Flash Gordon and Kurosawa movies.

24. Millennium Fairlane

Nov 29, 2014

Yeah, I've seen them all a few times: 1) no sort of "New Republic" is shown at all in Jedi. They could have tried to institute a democracy, a military tribunal for the duration of the emergency, a moiety system- anything. But all I saw in Jedi was military. 2) I see a few celebrations and apparent rioting, depending on your point of view, and that is no guarantee of won freedom nor even victory. Note the similarity between statues of Saddam being pulled down and Palpatine? how'd that turn out? 3) I have yet to be convinced of the "rule of two" -- the Jedi were certainly wrong about a lot of other things.

So for me, almost nothing was resolved.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Plus the idea that everyone on the capital planet of the Empire, where presumably it's power-base was located, just immediately started celebrating the death of Sheev never made sense to me. Lucas, you're trying to hard. Plus, all of those scenes were retcons anyway (and clearly meant to serve as a bridge to the PT, since all of those worlds ended up playing big roles in the PT). The original ending was the Endor celebration, that's it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.