main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Story wise: Do we really need a Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterMoolah

MasterMoolah Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    If you're looking at the story simply from the POV of Anakin and Luke, then yea...there's no need to continue it in a ST. Vader is dead, Luke destroyed the leadership of the Empire and crippled their two biggest superweapons. However from a realistic standpoint it's crazy to think that an Imperial force that large wouldn't have remnants that would live on past Vader/Sidious who would try to fill that power vacuum that was left in their wake. In that sense, there is PLENTY more story that can be developed and shown in a ST.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  2. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    So maybe Episode IX could with the Empire/First Order's unconditional surrender? :). That's one possibility

3. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I've had a different view of Star Wars than most people I suppose. I never really watched A New Hope that much. I would go straight to Empire and Jedi. It was always about the Skywalkers together as a family for me. Not JUST Luke, not JUST Anakin/Vader. That's why I think there is a need for a Sequel Trilogy. The Skywalker family still has a part to play.

Honestly, what does "bringing balance to the Force" mean? This I feel will have a significant impact on the next generation of Skywalkers and the galaxy. Also, there is the lingering questions about immortality. Qui-Gon was able to retain his consciousness after death and teach others. Does this mean eventually other Jedi could be "brought back"? How far can you go with these teachings? What if the new villains also try to find immortality by going into Darth Plagueis' teachings? Just how far did DP get? These are questions that can make a badass Sequel Trilogy. At least, I think they could.

4. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    What's this we? I personally need all the Star Wars I can get.

5. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Blowing up a battle station isn't closure. Taking out the Empire and its remnants while restoring the Jedi way of life would be ultimate closure. So yeah, we need more movies.

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Truth. Palpatine and Vader are dead. but the full Empire is not.
    Seeing the Jedi return and fight their first real threat would be the closure I need. Right now with ROTJ, the story feels incomplete.

7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Happy Endings never stay happy.

8. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015
    at first I thought no. but the more we learn the more I'm glad it's being made. there's a meaningful sequel that could be made.

which is why I don't get the people who think this is dumb and want it to be luke fighting a resurrected plagueis and a dark army from the beyond lol now there's a pointless story with no substance lol

9. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    We could use it though. The Rebellion emerges into a collection of groups called the Resistance, a provisional government without form, with have not formed the New Republic yet. A cold war ensues between the First Order and Resistance. A renewed civil war begins after discovery of the First Order's Star Killer Base weapon. The Jedi emerge from exile in time to help fight back.

War erupts again actively between the First Order and Resistance for final control of the galaxy. The Knights of Ren serve as generals and strike back with deadly force. The Resistance realigned with Luke Skywalker's Jedi does the same. The Galactic Civil War drags on as Jedi and Knights of Ren slowly eliminate one another. Both sides take massive losses.

Eventually the Knights of Ren are all destroyed by the Jedi, the few that manage to survive. Supreme Leader Snoke is destroyed through a betrayal and the First Order disintegrates completely. Most of free space aligns with a restored Galactic Republic. The Jedi return to Coruscant after an absence of more than half a century.

MillenniumFalcon2015 likes this.
  10. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    No we don't really. The EU did it just fine.

11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    I glad we're getting the ST. I was never a fan of the EU version of what came next. SO far, I like what I'm seeing from the ST.

12. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the old eu after rotj is horrible.

Strongbow and carlcockatoo like this.
  13. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    my better stated opinion is that the st isn't needed in the sense that rotj does have a sense of finality to it but the st will enhance everything and there's so much potential for a good story that we'll all benefit from it being made.

and the old eu was just glorified fan fiction and wasn't all that great imo. not that I read all those books or anything but from what I did it was just poorly written with a plot that wasn't near as interesting as what tfa appears to be.

14. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The EU through the NJO series is my preferred continuation. Everything I want in a continuation.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  15. Luminous Beings Are We

Luminous Beings Are We Jedi Knight star 3

Jun 10, 2014
    Star Wars exists on a timeline. Regardless of VI's happy ending, its story would've continued one way or another. The Force Awakens is our opportunity to see what's going on 30 years later. If they do it properly, I think most fans will say that it was worth it.

16. Tommytom

Tommytom Jedi Master star 1

Apr 25, 2015
    Like many others, I am skeptical of a sequel trilogy. Should the story have just ended there? Should we keep going? In many ways, I am worried. But you also have to be excited. I mean, we're getting at least three more Star Wars films, plus some Anthology ones. So, while I have some worry, I am also anticipating the sequel trilogy :)

17. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Personally I would've preferred the smaller scale stories like the EU if it was handled more consistently and with a stronger grip on the overall direction. By making film sequels, it definitely forces the story to be bigger and more explosive simply because that's what blockbuster movies require these days, and I just don't think that was really necessary given the way ROTJ ended.

18. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015
    I don't think it really requires it to get bigger. this doesn't even seem larger scale than the ot. like I know what you're saying and I don't like that trap series fall into either but they don't seem to be going that way. I think (hope) they'll go for different, not bigger. in my imagination, the natural direction seems to go a bit 'smaller' than the ot (the drama would stay just as big though) and nothing they've done suggests a 'bigger and badder lol' approach. with the first order being a remnant of what came before it, kylo being a wannabe vader, etc.

even within star wars, empire strikes back is really pretty 'small' compared to the original. aside from the battle of hoth, we went from blowing up planets and super weapons to a chase film where it's mostly scaled around just a few characters. with the force awakens they've been fairly resilient to a lot of various demands so so far anyway I'm not too worried about this.

19. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015

A follow up to the OT, imo should be smaller. For all purposes, the Empire has been defeated by the end of ROTJ and what follows should be smaller stories that go into the clean-up, rebuilding after the war and maybe the residual conflicts that need to be controlled. I don't necessarily need to see another huge galactic civil war unless they wanted to jump either 100 years forward or back in the timeline.

Personally, I don't think we'd see a blockbuster movie that went as small as ESB these days. They also need to sell movies to foreign markets and that requires BIG explosive set pieces. Which they've already gone big since apparently we've got two huge superweapons this time and this new superweapon can apparently destroy entire systems..

20. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015

I'm just now finding out about starkiller base destroying entire star systems.

almost cringed.

but overall I think it's going to capture the mood of our time more than anything. instead of a huge global conflict going on right now, we've got several micro-conflicts that bleed into each other, and while they're smaller, they feel just as big in a different way for the people involved. we have more dangerous technology than ever before and there's this weird global self-doubt going on.

21. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    we don't know if it can actually do anything yet.

22. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015

so it's still just speculation? good. I always imagined that it'd just be powerful enough to take out fleets. or maybe just as powerful as the death star, but we wouldn't see it do that. the real purpose of the superweapons would be to have two of them, one on each side, and to show how the resistance (at least leia) might have its flaws too. also just to have cool action sequences but not overly 'big'. :p

23. deneuves

Apr 19, 2015
    I think it was on the official star wars site so I don't see why it wouldn't be true..

24. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    no that is the official description...

Starkiller Base | StarWars.com

An ice planet converted into a stronghold of the First Order and armed with a fiercely destructive new weapon capable of destroying entire star systems.

my point is that we don't know if it works yet. or if it destroys anything at all.

25. RC-2473

Mar 14, 2015

oh. yeah I saw that on an unofficial site, but there's that now lol. I kind of hope it doesn't destroy a star system but I know it's sort of 'breaking the rules' to introduce a weapon like that and never see it do what it's supposed to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.