main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Story wise: Do we really need a Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by ray243, Jun 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there has to be some kind of threat.

2. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015

If they do use it, it'll probably be on some random system no one cares about. More likely it'll just be a "close call" situation like that infinity stone in Guardians of the Galaxy.

DaddlerTheDalek likes this.
  3. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    or the coruscant system. [face_devil]

4. RC-2473

RC-2473 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2015

of course but as me and deneuves have been discussing it doesn't need to be almost comically huge (i.e. 'bigger than before!!') to be threatening.

I think a close call situation is most likely 'cause han blows it up and what a way to go eh?

also it's just too convenient when they do it on a 'random system' (billions/trillions dead but don't feel too sad 'cause none of them are important!!) and even in the original film I felt that was executed in a kind of weird way. not just 'cause of that though it's like they're saying 'look at this huge threat but no where you care about will have to deal with it'.

5. redlightning

redlightning Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2014
    What does this weapon do to destroy a star system? Does it create a supernova, taction pulse, black hole, reverse gravity?

6. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015

Hopefully it just blows it up. Black hole is what they did in Star Trek (2009), but wouldn't be that shocked if JJ repeated himself.

7. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Naboo.... please be Naboo! ;)

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Well it is called Starkiller Base. I would assume they would destroy the star which in turn would kill off all planets in its system.

9. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Questions.

If the star is destroyed, would the planets in the system feel the effects instantly, or would there be a period of time to evacuate before the inhabited planets die?

If there's no star, how would it effect the orbit of the planets, as the gravity from the missing star would now be absent?

By destroying the star at the centre of a system, does it kill the entire system instantly, or is there time to evacuate I guess is my main question.

10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I've kind of only skim read spoilers past the first third of the film, so I know some broad things but no more than that, so some of this may be way off, but in response to @StoneRiver's question, is there a possibility that the battle station is used on the star at the centre of whatever system Luke is on, and that Luke is actually evacuated from exile?

11. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

Depends on HOW the star is destroyed, of course. If the star just burns out, then yeah, evacuations. If the weapon causes the star to go nova? Then that will not buff out.

StoneRiver likes this.
  12. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

Interesting, but it would depend on whether the heroes find Luke on Skellig, or whether Luke leads the heroes to Skellig after he evacuates whatever system. As they revisit Skellig in EPVIII, we can safely presume the Skellig planet has not been destroyed/killed.

If the MSW spoilers are to be trusted, then it doesn't luke like that is possible. ;)

Thanks Strongbow, I wonder if we will witness the destruction of the star in EPVII? Which would then show how the star is destroyed. I guess that's the only way I'll get the in-universe answers to my questions.

Refugees could be an interesting subplot during the ST if it doesn't kill the planets instantly. But then I suppose the threat of this weapon, even though it's killing entire systems and countless lifeforms, won't be thought of as worse than the Death Star as it gives the lifeforms a chance of escape.

13. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    Gravitational changes can't affect a distant celestial body immediately. That would be against Einsteins rule that nothing can be faster than light. Light needs 8 minutes from Sun to Earth, so if - hypothetically - our sun is removed, the Earth will still follow it's orbit for 8 minutes, then it will leave the solar system.

Even if we had the technology that is presented in Star Wars, this is not enough time to evacuate the planet.

Gesendet von meinem GT-P3110 mit Tapatalk

14. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015

What if they use it and it does create a black hole or dimensional rift of some kind that leads to an alternate universe where the Darkside has ultimately defeated the Light, and this is how the Big Bad of the ST arrives?! Or maybe it creates a darkside dimensional rift that leads to the welllspring of the darkside and allows evil force beings to enter the GFFA!

15. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008

sounds very Doctor Who! That guy opens parallel Universes every other season.

darthtimetraveller likes this.
  16. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015
    LOL that's one sci-fi series i've never seen. Is it any good?

17. littlewaves

littlewaves Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2008
    I like it on and off. Not to everyone's taste. Very different to most other mainstream sci-fi. Very campy/quirky which I like.

18. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I'm sure there's an actual answer to this question that an astrophysicist could tell you, but my guess is, at best, you have minutes to get off planet. I assume the sun being winked out would cause gravitational havoc on the planet. Earth quakes, volcanos, floods, tsunamis, things like that. I suppose if you survive that, then the timeframe becomes a matter of days

Just pure guessing though.

StoneRiver likes this.
  19. D'an

D'an Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2014

It's actually a logical progression. 30 years after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Inter-Continental Ballistic Missiles were basically capable of destroying our entire planet.

20. Tugann_An_Solas

Tugann_An_Solas Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 24, 2014
    Still have to pinch myself at the thought of sitting in a theater watching a new star wars movie!!
    Of coarse we need a sequel trilogy

:D

21. JediLight

JediLight Force Ghost star 4

May 31, 2001
    I keep seeing this thread and I feel like I have commented before, but figured I would do it again.

I think most SW fans were pretty satisfied with the upbeat ending after ROTJ (even if ROTJ had it's flaws, ewoks, repetitive story -DS2-). It was a great way to let the characters go into the sunset. Of course the books had more tales to tell, but I ignored post ROTJ EU.

I didn't want the Emperor to be cloned. I didn't want Luke to get married. I didn't want to see Chewbacca or any other likable character for that matter die.

Well this sequel trilogy changes everything. I've come to terms that the Big 3 will all die at some point. There is no harmony. There is no sunset.

This trilogy will break our hearts so hopefully it's all worth it. If they can create new characters to root for and to embrace then it will be worth it because we'll have new stories to enjoy.

22. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    need: no
    would like: absolutely!

I feel like it was just yesterday that we were discussing the sequel trilogy that never was.

23. darthtimetraveller

Aug 9, 2015

What exactly would happen would depend on the nature of the effect of the particular weapon on the star in question, as well as the size of the star and the distance of the world from it's parent sun. Does the weapon cause the star to implode or collapse in on itself, thus creating a black hole, assuming the star had enough original mass to begin with? Or does it cause the star to go supernova and basically explode outward, ultimately creating nebulae? Or does it drain the star's fuel leaving it more-or-less a dead star remnant, black dwarf, or neutron star? It would depend. It takes light roughly 8 mins to reach earth remember. According to SR, nothing moves naturally faster than light, not even the effects of gravity apparently. There are theories though.

StoneRiver likes this.
  24. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    Storywise, we don't "need" anything past the original Star Wars. The only loose end Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi tied up was Darth Vader surviving.

Stories don't don't have to be "necessary" to be interesting or worthwhile.

25. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I guess that means, then, worst case scenario you'd have 8 minutes to get out of there...assuming that a particular habitable planet is roughly 1 AU distance from a sun similar to ours.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.