main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Stover's ROTS vs. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sable_Hart, Nov 26, 2014.

?

Both are undeniably awesome; which is more?

1. Sith

28 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. Rendezvous

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  1. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    General consensus across the interwebz is that Matt Stover's adaptation of ROTS is the best EU novel. Yoda: Dark Rendezvous is a more obscure work but similarly highly-acclaimed.

Both are undeniably awesome, but which book is more so and why?

Discuss! :D

2. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I don't think RotS was Stover's best novel. But I haven't read either RotS or DR since '05 and I can't even remember which one I liked more.

3. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    ROTS is a masterpiece.

YDR is a fun adventure piece that gives great insight into the psyches of Yoda and Dooku.

So it's kind of depends on what kind of story you want.

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Failed! This is not let's-make-nice-and-escape-the-trap-with-differential-standards!

No, this is Sable's-evil-bastard-competition-to-the-death-between-two-works-of-EU-excellence-and-there-can-only-be-winner!

He's an evil git, true, but it's his thread so the sicko gets to set the rules! [face_devil]

Gamiel, Zer0, Zorrixor and 4 others like this.
  5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Did Stover take us into the mind of a security monat? Did he make us care for this noble and hardworking piece of security equipment? Did he make us cheer when the ignored and overlooked device finally, finally, got to achive it's purpose in life?
    Down with Stover! RotS novel is overrated.

YeahOkayCool, Ender Sai, Zer0 and 4 others like this.
  6. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Revenge of the Sith, without contest. Rendezvous is undeniably awesome, but I wouldn't put it up amongst the best novels I've read. I would put Sith up there.

7. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Voted for DR on the sheer comedy angle. Yoda in disguise in the 'fresher.... priceless!

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda and the droid about Yoda's food.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    What, what, what? Oh, I can't decide! Just kidding.

Dark Rendezvous for me. Stover's RotS is by far the best novelization, with many awesome moments, but it's dragged down by the movie, and too much Anakin Skywalker. The length is debatable about whether its too long or not.

DR is funnier and I love the minor characters introduced, as well as Yoda and Dooku's confrontation at the end. Both are excellent books of course though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Dark Rendezvous without a doubt.

While with both novels the outcome was a given, the topic of the mentor redeeming his pupil the common topic, DR made you care about its original characters, expanded the universe, gave us the best Yoda ever (forget the Moriband-arc of TCW) and lets not forget the interactions between Dooku and Asajj Ventress. And all the while Palpatine is pulling the strings behind the back to get the outcome desired by him, but in a way, that nobody gets suspicious or even notices, showing what a masterful manipulator he is.

11. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I love DR, but there is way too much of the novel devoted towards the Padawans ("Scout" is one of them I believe?) ROTS is amazing in the fact that it give you so much more of a deeper insight into the character of Anakin, what he was thinking and how the Jedi Council also made mistakes in the fall of the Republic. If you watch the film alone, it's easy to blame Anakin and say he was just an evil brat. But if you read the novel you can almost feel Anakin's world crahsing down on him from all sides.

cwustudent, Amon_Amarth and Iron_lord like this.
  12. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    While RotS isn't Stover's best, it's easily one of the best Star Wars books. I really enjoyed Rendezvous but it doesn't remotely compare to Revenge, IMO.

13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    No versus thre- oh, go on then.

14. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    As much as I enjoyed the ROTS novel I have to go with Yoda Dark Rendezvous. The original characters were a change from the usual Jedi, there's some great Yoda and Dooku scenes and it has good humour.

15. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    I prefer Stover's overall, but Dark Rendezvous has by far the best Yoda and Dooku portrayals.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The "Assets/Threats" bit for Dooku's thinking did seem a pretty good summary of Sith thinking though.

Maybe, between Y:DR and ROTS, Dooku finally embraced Sith teachings, rather than retaining a self-image of himself as an "ends justify means" hero.

17. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    I like you. We are now friends.

18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Revenge of the Sith had all the expectations in the world, and it met them--but everybody wanted it to be awesome, because it was Stover, and because it was RotS.

YDR had zero expectations--it earned every last scrap of the love it gets.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    heh

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    That was supposed to be Y:DR. But a colon followed by a D produced a smiley, and I didn't notice.

21. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Stover's ROTS. And in this instance, it's not really a matter of DR lacking anything. Both succeed in the areas they focus on. Interesting plot, character expansion, the characters think and act true to themselves, every setting we see is unique and engaging, no time is wasted on meaningless points, etc. For me, I just think ROTS did it better. It's also a wider novel in scope, being literally the end of an era and a galactic war, whereas DR is something of a side-story. So ROTS really feels more important in the grand scheme, making it that much more meaningful when Stover hits all the key notes just right.

I've said before that to really understand ROTS, the significance of the events, and even what it all means to the characters of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi, you have to read Stover's novel. It's that good, and does an amazing job of telling the same story as the film, but fully utilizing the power of a written text. Can never praise it enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Revanfan1, Iron_lord and Dante1120 like this.
  22. SheaHublin

SheaHublin Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 15, 2008
    Rendezvous, without a doubt. It actually seems much more finished than the ROTS novelization. Both are good, yet the latter suddenly feels rushed after the first half. As though Stover had a deadline to rush to and not enough time to get us into the head of the other characters and events as he did in the first half.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I dislike the accolade "best EU novel" -- not sure I'd be comfortable calling any single work the best given the whole nature of the EU as this great big universe of stories that are given life and interconnectedness.

But of the two presented, easily Dark Rendezvous. It's probably one of my favorite EU works, and one of the few I found notable for its prose. It was cleverer than it had reason to be, had some great ideas, and Scout is just wonderful. Add Yoda's caperings to that, and the sobering heft of his interactions with Dooku as a contrast and it becomes gold. The icing on the cake is that Anakin and Kenobi showing up actually ruins everything, which almost feels like meta-commentary on the idea that stories that don't rely on the main characters as a crutch can be good and interesting.

ROTS was nice. People like the style here too, though I can't decide if I like it or if it's melodramatic. I will say that most of what I like about ROTS at all (visuals aside) comes from the novel rather than the film, where Stover did his level best to give the events the dramatic weight they deserved. But he's hampered by the material, though he tries hard. Oddly, I think he rather gets the Lucas thematic imagery right and was perhaps better at getting it across than Lucas's own script writing. But eh. Mindor is probably my favorite of his SW novels (though I like his original work, particularly the Caine stuff, even more).

24. JechtShotMK9

JechtShotMK9 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 27, 2013
    Oh, this one is difficult.

I loved Dark Rendezvous for its original characters, Scout and Fidelis being standouts, in my opinion. Add to that one of the two best characterizations of Dooku, who has been criminally maligned in other works, and an absolutely hilarious portrayal of Yoda, along with the drama to balance it out, and you've got a real masterpiece for the EU.

Which begs the question, why hasn't Sean Stewart written more Star Wars? The guy is great!

On the other hand, Stover's Revenge of the Sith is a work of art. It makes up for all of the flaws in the movie, and then some. He manages to make Anakin relatable, pulls off the serious, yet humorous Obi-Wan better than anyone, portrays Palpatine at his both manipulative and maniacally cackling best, and has the other excellent depiction of Dooku.

If I were to recommend one of these to someone else, I'd probably go with ROTS, just so that they can get a better version of the movie. Just for fun, though, I'd probably go with Dark Rendezvous. Both rank up among the best in the EU, though, which I find funny, considering my disdain for most of the Clone War era stuff.

25. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014
    I do like both, but I went with Dark Rendezvous. The portrayals of Dooku and Yoda added depth not found in other works, and the original characters were not only fun but provided an interesting glimpse into the Jedi Order through the eyes of more "typical" Jedi than the ones we see in the movies.

Stover's novelization is great - it has some wonderful prose and depicts Anakin's fall in a way which is both thorough and tragic. But I feel like some of his characterization of Obi-Wan and Padme are iffy (not entirely Stover's fault, as I'm drawing partially from TCW), and there are a few moments which just rub the wrong way in terms of tone. And the last third of the book seemed rushed compared to the beginning. Still a book I'd recommend overall, though.