main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Stranded (Vignette, Pre-ANH, Luke)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PadmeLeiaJaina, May 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Disclaimer: I own nothing, just playing in GL?s sandbox.

This viggy just sprung from my head today. As a kid, I loved Luke w/ all of my heart. I understood his longing for greater things, his being a dreamer. I understood him. This vignette is based on one of his many afternoons spend daydreaming that so infuriated Yoda.

Enjoy!

Stranded

Everyone?s leaving me it seems. Oh I know, they?re not leaving me?not exactly. They?re leaving this place. I don?t blame them, not in the least. Why would anyone want to stay here? It?s dull, hot, dusty, and monotonous... it?s a nightmare.

Nothing exciting ever happens on Tatooine.

Revving up the engines of my Skyhopper, I blast away from my Aunt and Uncle?s moisture farm. My ship devours the landscape and roars rapidly over the arid landscape sending air through the windows and into my cockpit. If I were to close my eyes I could almost imagine that I?m not here on this sand covered rock, but instead I?m flying through space. My heart longs for space?a place where I?ve never been, or visited, but for some reason feels like home. I imagine it is cold there. I?d love to be cold ? I wonder what that feels like? I can only imagine for it rarely gets cold here on Tatooine.

Sometimes my dreams are alarmingly vivid, I see the insides of ships, I hear gruff voices, and my heart yearns for these strange and faceless people?and I don?t know why. I see things that I don?t understand. I see swamps, glorious green fields with vibrant rushing waterfalls, and I see a city in the clouds. A chuckle rumbles in my throat. Crazy dreams, only you, Skywalker would imagine such ridiculous things.

Nobody understands me?well that?s wrong...Biggs did. Biggs understood that spending one?s life on this dusty planet wasn?t living, but was more like enduring a life-long prison sentence. It?s so easy to accept the status quo, to be happy with what you have and not yearn for a better more thrilling life, to be like Cammi, or Fixter and simply enjoy what they?ve got and not desire anything else.

But I can?t do that.

Don?t ask me why, but I believe I?m destined for greater things. Uncle Owen flat out refuses to listen to me whenever I try explaining to him that I don?t feel I belong here. Instead he expertly redirects me on the path of a long guilt trip about how he needs me to keep this farm afloat and if I were to leave it would die.

How can I argue with that? I can?t. Uncle Owen can?t run this farm by himself, he?s getting old and I know he?s looking to me to take over the farm. This farm is all that he possesses, so in essence he?s offering me everything that matters most to him.

How can I refuse such generosity? Who am I to look down upon his gift?

I owe my aunt and uncle everything. They took care of me when no one else would ? when apparently there was no one else to take care of me. They?re all the family that I?ve got. My father died and they agreed to raise me. They never talk about if they?d ever wanted their own child or not, instead Owen and Beru treat me like their own son. I love them deeply and dearly, but I just fear that they don?t understand me. How can they? They?ve never left this dustball of a world, they?ve never been anywhere. They?re happy being here and they can?t understand why I?m not.

I veer my Skyhopper towards Beggar?s Canyon. Last moon, before Biggs left for the Imperial Academy I won my first race there. It was the greatest moment of my life. I actually accomplished something. I was a winner! It was a small victory, I know. It wasn?t like I was an Imperial Officer shooting down rebel forces?but still, it meant something to me. It proved that if I could win at a race, maybe I could win in other areas of my life.

Maybe I will win the battle to leave this place?and finally I?ll no longer be stranded and alone. Maybe my dreams will no longer just exist in my head. Maybe I?ll get to visit all of the stars in the sky and become a galactic traveler. She?s out there waiting for me too. I?ve seen

2. Gina

Gina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 3, 2003
    Wonderful as always. I love the way you captured Luke's nature as a dreamer and his frustrations and even guilt at wanting to leave Tatooine.

3. JDH3

JDH3 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Well, I've already read and reviewed this elsewhere, but I'm happy to do it again! Great insight into Luke's mind pre-ANH. I really enjoyed the mix of desperation, and, as mentioned above, guilt. Plus his musings about sand remind me of his dad. :_|

JD.

4. Tekli_theInsane

Tekli_theInsane Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 22, 2004
    That was very, very sweet. Loved it. :)

How can I argue with that? I can?t. Uncle Owen can?t run this farm by himself, he?s getting old and I know he?s looking to me to take over the farm. This farm is all that he possesses, so in essence he?s offering me everything that matters most to him.
    How can I refuse such generosity? Who am I to look down upon his gift?

So Luke. [face_love]

I?ve seen her; a mystery woman with brown hair and bewitchingly brown eyes. She?s my destiny ? I know it.

That was beautiful imagery. :D Very pretty! Love the foreshadowing...

From my belt pouch I pull out a sandwich and take a bite?roasted nerf, heavily spiced.
    Beru does know how to cook, I?ll give her that.

That just makes his thought process seem that much more realistic. Perfect. :D

Tatoo?s One and Two will fry my brain and I?ll become as crazy as Old Ben. I?ll become that loony kid with sunstroke who believes he lives in a tropical oasis instead of this wretched desert.
    Maybe going crazy isn?t such a bad idea. At least I?ll be able to always keep myself entertained with my dreams, and I?ll never be alone. I?ll have the multiple voices in my head to talk to.

[face_laugh] That was so funny, but so sad... :(

No, I won?t allow myself to go mad. I can?t. Because one day, I will no longer be stranded here and I will be able to dance amongst the stars. It is my destiny.
    And that, I have to believe, is no empty dream.

Perfect ending! :D GO LUKE!

That was a beautiful viggie. Very Luke-ish.

5. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Wonderful little viggie! :D [face_love] I could so see a younger Luke spending his "free" time doing that. Just... dreaming. Great job! :D

6. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    My ship devours the landscape and roars rapidly over the arid landscape sending air through the windows and into my cockpit. If I were to close my eyes I could almost imagine that I?m not here on this sand covered rock, but instead I?m flying through space. I can see Luke doing this. Practice for spaceflight.
    Sometimes my dreams are alarmingly vivid, I see the insides of ships, I hear gruff voices, and my heart yearns for these strange and faceless people?and I don?t know why. I see things that I don?t understand. I see swamps, glorious green fields with vibrant rushing waterfalls, and I see a city in the clouds. Luke is seeing the past and the future. Getting visions without any training.
    Don?t ask me why, but I believe I?m destined for greater things. that you are, Luke.
    Maybe I will win the battle to leave this place?and finally I?ll no longer be stranded and alone. Maybe my dreams will no longer just exist in my head. Maybe I?ll get to visit all of the stars in the sky and become a galactic traveler. so like his father
    No, I won?t allow myself to go mad. I can?t. Because one day, I will no longer be stranded here and I will be able to dance amongst the stars.

It is my destiny.

And that, I have to believe, is no empty dream.
    Great ending. :)

7. Padlei

Padlei Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2003
    Hehe... I thought you had decided to stop writing several fics in this era... [face_devil] 8-}

Seriously I'm so glad you decided to give this to us... :) Spot on like usual. Gotta love Luke. I really felt for him and his need to get away and discover something else...
    I loved his visions and the little details you put in there...
    Great job! :D

8. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    I get a new perspective everyday. :) I guess I really never thought about him being a dreamer. It was great to get inside his head when he was still innocent about the galaxy. It was fun to see him dreaming about being a pilot and reliving his win.

9. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I think you really captured Luke with this one.

--MissPadme

10. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    You really did get into his feelings so deep inside. It shows how much he gave of himself because he did not just leave. He cared and respected those who took care of him.. good job!

11. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Not only did you capture Luke, I think you captured that kind of "teenage angst" that I remember... wanting to get out of a small town and DO something IMPORTANT!!

12. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Lovely! I like the way you show how Luke is torn between his feelings of obligation to his uncle and his intense yearning to be a wanderer through space.

And I love the few images in his dreams...the swamp and the city in the clouds...nicely done!

Also love the visions he's had of Leia...at least I assume that's who we're talking about here! I've always been of a mind that the two of them have a very strong bond, even if they weren't exactly aware of it at first.

I loved the ending lines...very touching and I've often wondered if Luke had known all the heartache he was going to have to endure if he still would've left the farm. I tend to think yes!

Great little viggie! :D :D :D

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Gina

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed how I portrayed Luke.

JDH3

Yeah I wanted there to be a pretty obvious link to sand w/ his father. Both men grew up on Tatooine and had links there. I just thought that I should somehow tie them together.

Tekli

Thank you! I?m glad you liked that imagery about Leia. There were several places that I drew upon for those references. The Brian Daley PBS radio broadcasts and the deleted scene between Biggs and Luke at the end of ANH in the hanger both mention Luke dreaming of some mystery girl. It?s obvious that Luke?s smitten w/ Leia in ANH ? so I?ve always figured that he might?ve dreamed about her beforehand.

Jaina_and_Jag

Thank you! Well Yoda did scold him for being a dreamer ? so that?s what I based this viggy on. I figured, like all teenagers he was probably anxious to get out into the world and explore it.

RebelMom

Luke is seeing the past and the future. Getting visions without any training.

Right, in AOTC Obi-Wan rather dismisses Ani?s dreams ? but in reality dreams aren?t just dreams to Jedi. I?ve always figured that Luke was probably experiencing them his whole life and all they did was fill him w/ longing to be elsewhere. When rather like his father, those dreams were showing him his destiny.

PadLei

Hehe... I thought you had decided to stop writing several fics in this era...

Well this IS just a vignette- it?s something I wrote when I didn?t feel like writing any of my other stories and was bored.

I really felt for him and his need to get away and discover something else...

It?s that longing for something else, something better in life that drew me to him. I love the dreamer of Luke. That scene w/ him gazing at the setting suns just speaks to me, his longing to be elsewhere, but feeling trapped ? we all know how that feels at times in our lives.

Red Rose

I get a new perspective everyday.

That is one of the joys w/ fanfic, each of us perceives the characters in different ways. I?ve always suspected that young Luke was a dreamer ? why wouldn?t he be? Tatooine was so boring I?d think it would be filled w/ dreamers wanting to get the hell off of that wretched planet.

uess I really never thought about him being a dreamer. It was great to get inside his head when he was still innocent about the galaxy. It was fun to see him dreaming about being a pilot and reliving his win.

*sigh* poor Luke, little does he know that tragedy lies ahead, and that the deaths of his aunt and uncle will change his life forever.

MissPadme

Thank you!

Qingauk

It shows how much he gave of himself because he did not just leave. He cared and respected those who took care of him.. good job!

Well you look at Luke in ANH, had Beru and Owen not been killed, he probably would?ve stayed on and completed his duty. Luke was very loyal to them and respected their wishes. He was deeply indebted to their raising him. Even though he longs for adventure, a part of him felt he could never just abandon them.

Renata

I think you captured that kind of "teenage angst" that I remember... wanting to get out of a small town and DO something IMPORTANT!!

Oh god yes! Teenager angst ? I remember it well :p

Kayladie

Also love the visions he's had of Leia...at least I assume that's who we're talking about here! I've always been of a mind that the two of them have a very strong bond, even if they weren't exactly aware of it at first

Well he probably perceived them as dreams of being his dream girl- but twin bonds are very strong. I would think that on some level both were aware of each other ? especially considering that they were both Force-Sensitive.

I loved the ending lines...very touching and I've often wondered if Luke had known all the heartache he was going to have to endure if he still would've left the farm. I tend to think yes!

Oh he would?ve done so ? otherwise he would?ve never met his fami

14. Laine_Snowtrekker

Laine_Snowtrekker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 8, 2003
    Wonderful viggie, PLJ! You got Luke spot-on.

15. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I always enjoy your handle on saga characters and this one is no exception. I like the way you actually wrote about Luke the Dreamer - not just saying he dreamed but showing it.... if that makes any sense. :p

I?ll become that loony kid with sunstroke who believes he lives in a tropical oasis instead of this wretched desert.

8-} Plot bunny anyone?

16. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Nice viggie! You have ole Lukie boy head on!

17. kristeh

kristeh Jedi Youngling star 3

May 24, 2003
    Great insight into young Luke's dreams and hopes. I really enjoyed it.

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Laine

Thank you! :D

Leia_Naberrie

I like the way you actually wrote about Luke the Dreamer - not just saying he dreamed but showing it.... if that makes any sense.

Well being a dreamer myself- I actually DID understand what you said ;)

Plot bunny anyone?

LOL! If someone wants that one- they can have it ? I?ll gladly give it away :p

VadersMistress

Thank you! I enjoyed writing this one too!

Kristeh

Glad you enjoyed! :D

19. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    *Blows off dust* Decided to just give this a little punt. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.