main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strange force theory- Valid or no?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GavinStrife, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    I thought about this on the way back to my apartment going 75 down the road and kinda got to thinking about it... they say the Force is like a river several times throughout the movies and books... And, the Jedi of old don't seem to have some of the slick moves that the "new" Jedi have... so could that mean that, essentially, the Force literally IS like a river, and with more Jedi drawing from it, the amount that can be drawn is lowered, giving the handful of Jedi in Luke's care more to draw from and the Jedi of old less because of their greater numbers..? Anybody understand what I'm saying? This is my first try at a SW theory, so go gentle on me ;)

2. skatalite

skatalite Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 8, 2005
    I understand what you're saying but I don't think it's valid.

My reason? Anakin Skywalker.

3. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    Good Theory, unfortunately disageed with.

However, how do you explain the TOTJ series, Jedi are far more powerful than the NJO, and the Sith are even more powerful than that...

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think its more Luke's boys tend to study for 2-4 years.

The Jedi of the Old Republic study for 20.

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    The odd thing is, you're kind of sort of in a strange way right, sort of. lol

Darth Bane says the Dark Side is drawn too thin (Dark Side's weaker), and this is one of the reasons for instating the Rule of Two. The Light Side, on the other hand, seems to grow stronger the more Jedi use it together.

6. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    :D Have you read Matt Stover's Heroes Die? :cool:

- The Imperial Ewok

7. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Darth Bane says the Dark Side is drawn too thin (Dark Side's weaker), and this is one of the reasons for instating the Rule of Two. The Light Side, on the other hand, seems to grow stronger the more Jedi use it together.

Darth Bane is sort of like choosing to not having children to help overpopulation.

Even if its true, his own actions are meaningless to it.

8. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    ^^ I'm not sure what you mean to say in your post.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    It's a Stupid Theory.

Even if it was true. He'd make no impact because of thousands of other Dark Siders across the universe.

I think that's clear.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Darth Bane ended up being the last Sith. It was the prevalence of so many Sith that was stretching the Dark Side thin. There's a difference between Dark (Former) Jedi and Sith. Sith are stronger, more rooted in the Dark Side.

11. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    darth bane was pretty dumb imo [face_money_eyes]

12. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Not really.

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    What, then, makes a Sith so much more badass than a Dark Jedi?

14. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    No. that wasn't the only reason for the rule of two: it was also to avoide dection and to avoide the infighting that cost the sith their previous victories.

You know what, the Sith would have won every war if it wasn't for infighting. Think about who killed the Emporer-Darth Vader. Luke alone would have lost.

that's off topic though.

"What, then, makes a Sith so much more badass than a Dark Jedi?"

Ah, the question that is never answered. Somehow Sith corrupt the force but Dark Jedi don't. Well, I thought of something recently: alchemy. Only Sith use alchemy-using pure dark side to twst objects and creature physicaly. I think that works.

Rember "You fight like the Sith, you where the trappings of the SIth. However, these things can be imatated."

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah, Dooku's exercise in redundancy: the line is actually "but this can be immitated, however." :[face_sigh]:

Anyhow, yeah, the question is never answered. Dark Jedi are not, I think, necessarily the same sort of evil that the Sith are...I dunno...a band of Dark Jedi would not self destruct the way the Sith would...I dunno...there has to be an official answer to this. Alchemy is often brought up, but the average Sith fellow doesn't warp things.

16. GavinStrife

GavinStrife Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Well... glad I could spark a conversation about a guy I've never heard of... o_O too bad my theory crashed and burned, haha [face_tired]

17. Vong_Killer

Vong_Killer Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 2001
    GS, unfortunatly your theory has been hotly debated many times on this board already. It's not an invalid idea, but many do seem to disagree.

The Force itself, in all its entirty does not even seem like a measurable quantity. It's far to abstract of an idea/concept or whatever. So claiming that it can be "drawn thin" just doesn't fit in. When Darth Bane said this, I think all he meant was that the power was in to many hands. When that which gives someone power is at everyone's disposal, noone has the power because everyone is on a level playing field.

Difference 'tween Dark Jedi and Sith?

First off, to be a "Dark" Jedi you'ld have to be a Jedi to begin with, right? Those witches on Dathomir couldn't have been dark "jedi" but they were deffinatly dark side users.

Furthermore, the Sith teachings are a philosophy. It's a different way of understanding the dark side of the Force and a different way of manipulating and using the Force.

IMO, when someone uses a dark emotion to motivate their usage of the Force, that person has tapped the dark side. fear, hanger, hate, blah blah, we all now that line.

A Sith, however, takes it a few steps further. Don't ask me what this "step" is, I only have a vague idea of what it could be. Prolly has something to do with intent, though.

18. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Well that's it precisely: we know that there is a philosophical difference. The Jedi are a religion. Dark Jedi are those who have transgressed the teachings of this religion by falling to the Dark Side. The Sith are a separate religion.

But what makes the Sith more than fallen Jedi? That "step" is integral.

19. Carnage04

Carnage04 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 8, 2005

One of the river comments made was in the RoTS novel. It had something to do with we understand the will of the force the same as it is the will of a river to flow down a mountain. Obi-Wan was trying to make Padme understand that the Jedi really do not understand the force. So ....nice thoeyr, but the only river example i can think of has nothing to do with it.

Carnage

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.