main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

strange parallels between AOTC and

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by admiral jimmy, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khanus

Khanus Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    I can not believe this thread is still going on! BTW, I echo stevesherri's advice to read books by Chomsky..particularly chronicles of dissent

But I digress...I honestly think homelessjedi is taking the mickey here...noone could really believe what he or she states are their theories...

Art imitates life..sure...Yeah, fine Tatooine was probably inspired by Middle Eastern countries, I could even go as far as saying that as the majority of the prophets have come from that area(from Abraham to Muhammad) Lucas intentionally had two Jedi's there...lets go further ith this analogy..Jesus was a shepherd, Muhammad was a farmer, Luke Skywalker a farmer!

This could all be crap(and it probably is) but the point is so what?If Tatooine is Afghanistan or Coruscant, NY...so?That doesn't mean Lucas can see into the future or some other conspiracy rubbish...

geez.....

2. Radovan_Karadzic

Radovan_Karadzic Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    the battle on genosis could a space age version of our new campaign angainst Iraq
    :)

3. Radovan_Karadzic

Apr 17, 2002
    but probably not

4. DARTH_MAC

DARTH_MAC Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2001
    There can be no parallels between a situation where innocent people lost there life and a movie.

5. mr.binks

mr.binks Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 1, 1999
    "There can be no parallels between a situation where innocent people lost there life and a movie."

*Sigh* Fiction imitates and affects reality, where people die.

But I agree, lay off the friggin' planet comparisons. Political comparisons are all right, because Lucas usually means them.

6. Savle_Sostas

Savle_Sostas Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2001
    Sorry to digress here. Radovan_Karadzic is your username meant to be provocative or is it just insensitive?

7. os2Kenobi

os2Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 1999
    Radovan Karadzic and Ratko Mladic, Bosnian Serb leader and Army Commander, were charged on Nov 16, 1995, with genocide for killing of up to 6,000 Moslems in Srebrenica in July 1995. They were also charged separately in July 24, 1995, for siege of Sarajevo and use of UN peacekeeping soldiers as hostages.

http://www.wcw.org/icty/suspects/Radovan_Karadzic.html

I've been meaning to pick up 9-11 by Chomsky, I've read a couple of his other works and it is quite interesting.

There can be no parallels between a situation where innocent people lost there life and a movie.

then whats the point of movies if you never deal with serious issues?

I hate anti-smoking commercials. especially the truth ones.

8. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Did anyone notice that homeless_jedi took an IQ-test and they proved he's a genie?

[face_laugh]

9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah I made that observation earlier! :D

E_S

10. The Fett

The Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 1999
    Homeless shows his ignorance and active imagination once more when discussing the Star Wars project.

If he's speaking of SDI (space defense initiative), that was actually started under Reagan. The media and opposition parties labled it Star Wars in order to discredit it.

I'm sorry, but it has nothing to do with creating light sabers and death stars.

11. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    If media called the SDI project "star wars", why did george (plan to?) sue NASA?

12. The Fett

The Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 1999
    I've never heard that Lucas WAS going to sue NASA. NASA had nothing to do with SDI being labled Star Wars, in all NASA had little to do with SDI. SDI was mostly Los Alamos and DOE.

If he was, he'd needn't not stop there. The Star Wars anme and motiff have been used extensively in pop culture for the last 25 years.

13. Radovan_Karadzic

Apr 17, 2002
    i am deeply offended that you claim that my username is insensitive. Radovan like melosivic has not been convicted yet and until then he is innocent until proven guilty and thus his name is not offensive. i am Yugoslavian and he is a very popular person in Serbia.

14. JediNdaCity

JediNdaCity Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2002
    Who said that GL didn't know about the 9/11 tragedy before it happened. He would have if our gov't tipped him off to it. Our gov't has betrayed the American people. We are and have become the evil empire. And the sooner you see this is happening the smarter you will be. I don't know if GL is in cohoots with these people or he is on the other side of the fence and is just trying to warn people. But anytime you have people that powerful with that much influence over the minds of a society like Lucasfilm has, it can get pretty dangerous. My personal belief is that someone is leaking info to GL and he is taking it and trying to warn his beloved fans of an impending danger on the horizon. "The dark side clouds everything."
    Truer words were never spoken.
    "What if I told you that the Senate was now controlled by a Sith Lord?"
    The crazier it sounds, the truer it might actually be.
    TRUTH IS STRANGER THAN FICTION!

15. Radovan_Karadzic

Apr 17, 2002
  16. stevesherri

stevesherri Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    http://www.ucomics.com/boondocks/viewbo.cfm?uc_full_date=20020527&uc_comic=bo&uc_daction=X

That's the Boondocks cartoon of May 27th. Has he been reading this thread ? ... apparently.

If any other cartoonist would have done that cartoon, I'd be sure he was being sarcastic. But Aaron MacGruder .... I dunno.

17. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I posted this in another thread, I figured perhaps someone here would want to read it too

I find that many of the people that despise America the most are the ones that live here. Whether or not this is an evil country doesn't discount why people around the world look to the United States as a beacon in the darkness. This country was just as 'evil' before Bush took office.

Read what you want into recent events versus the movie, but the events in AOTC are based on the Roman Republic/Empire and the Third Reich.

If the United States were a 'dictatorship' then the Congress would have no power to remove him from office, but if I read the Constitution properly, they still have that ability. The Weimar Republic ended the moment they gave Hitler all the powers of the Reichstag, which is exactly what happened in AOTC.

18. AgonyEngine

AgonyEngine Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 13, 2001
    People seem to be misunderstanding HJ. He believes that we are experiencing an unintentional glimpse into the future. Many people do believe that art can fortell instances of the future...

It's sad people take this subject so personally. Your emotional outbursts are like that of spoiled children...

19. BellyButton

BellyButton Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    "I didn't know who Osama Bin Laden was... he could have been a character on Star Wars for all I knew."

Johnelle Bryant on ABC news recently (woman who Atta tried to borrow money from to buy a plane)

The only connection here is that art imitates life, as well as vice-versa

20. stevesherri

stevesherri Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2002
    Atta DID get money. He got $100,000 wired to him by Ahmad Umar Sheik, the lead suspect in the kidnapping and murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl. This was at the orders of the Pakistani ISI Chief. (their CIA) The thing is, the Pakistani ISI chief is APPOINTED BY OUR CIA Chief !!
    See : http://www.fromthewilderness.com/free/ww3/02_11_02_lucy.html Point #17. (From the Times of India Oct. 11)

The truth is more tragic than fiction.

21. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    You're all wrong. AOTC (and, by extension, the saga as a whole) clearly chronicles the struggles of G.I. Joe to free the world from Cobra.

Think about it. The Joes are clearly Jedi (right down to their initials!); gifted with phenomenal powers (can you take down an entire army without killing anyone?) they serve their country (Coruscant, which you'll notice contains the letters U, S, and A, leaving CORCNT, which can only stand for Cobra's Operations Result in Countless Non-Threats) as keepers of the peace. Ah, I heard that; "But unlike the Jedi," you say, "they're also soldiers!" Not true at all; unlike conventional soldiers, who spend each day in the field defending against conventional threats, the Joes all enjoy free and unlimited leave, which they use to educate neighborhood children about safety and tolerance--just as the Jedi would if they were on a similar schedule.

The malevolent, incompetent Nute Gunray is a dead ringer for Cobra Commander; both command private armies, both engage in acts of terrorism, and both sacrifice all semblance of practicality in their hate for their enemies. Also like the Commander, Nute constantly flees the scene when the situation turns sour, returning later to harass the heroes another day.

Further study of the G.I. Joe mythos, however, reveals the Commander to be a "phantom" menace, if you will, ultimately usurped and overshadowed by the evil mastermind Serpentor. Clearly, Dooku fits this mold to a T; leader of a motley crew of ne'er-do-wells, Dooku, like his inspirational figure, uses sophisticated words to deflect dissent, turning to brute force only when neccessary. In another homage to Serpentor, Lucas cast an actor best known for his oft-bared fangs.

However--and this is where the case becomes air-tight--there exists one figure to whom even Dooku/Serpentor must bow. This figure, later paid homage to in the form of Darth Sidious, goes by the name of Globulous, the master of all evil. His plan to wipe out the opposition, through the use of their own equipment, closely mirrors Sidious' eventual plan to eliminate his enemies, the Joes/Jedi, through employment of one of their own (Anakin, whose arrogance and impetuousness make him a clear successor to the Joes' own Lieutenant Falcon--who, in turn, found a mentor in Obi-Wan/Duke.)

In the end, it is Falcon who thwarts the plot of Cobra-La (through the use of an electrical overload), and so in turn does Anakin put an end to the scheming of Sidious (here, his devotion to his cause is magnified, as the electrical overload in question ends his own life as well.)

Clearly, Lucas saw the future when creating the OT, and now pays homage to his inspiration.

Now you know--and knowing is half the battle.

By the way, :p

22. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    No, wait--the SW Saga is all about Russia! Hear me out...

Anakin (whose name clearly denotes "American") begins as an innocent youth (symbolizing America's idealistic beginnings) before becoming troubled (as with America's turbulent formative years) and conflicted (Civil War).

Much of Anakin's drama plays out on Coruscant, which you'll notice contains the letters R, U and S--the international abbreviation for Russia, and all in the correct order. This leaves us with COCANT, which can only stand for Comrade, Overpower the Capitalist Americans' Nuclear Threat.

Just as Corucsant is one big city, Russia is one big snowfield. The Senate is full of greedy, squabbling delegates (just as the former Soviet union is full of breakaway territories); there is no civility (no question there--and notice that "civility" rhymes with "stability," which the region also lacks), only politics.

Chancellor Valorum, with his blustering ineffectuality and probable alcoholism (wouldn't you start drinking in his position), clearly resembles Boris Yeltsin. His successor, whose name I don't remember, is like Palpatine in ways I'll probably get to later.

Anyway, so Anakin tries to fight the good fight, but makes the mistake of listening to Palpatine (the Russian guy) and falls under his spell. Without a doubt, Lucas is warning us that Russia will try to conquer the world through diplomacy (he was tipped off by the Americans, Russians, Taliban, Greenpeace, and Piano Movers P-12), and only we, his loyal fans, stand between their evil plan and total domination.

-----

Or maybe--just maybe--some people with too much time on their hands read whatever they please into movies that began as fairy tales and homages to Flash Gordon movies, and concoct whatever conspiracy theories are needed to support whatever argument they may hold.

Pretty damn ridiculous, if you ask me. ;)

23. DarkSideoftheMoon

DarkSideoftheMoon Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    since were pointing out how stuff was predicted, Dream Theaters "Live Scenes from NY" also told something, i mean because it had the twin towers inside a burning apple and the NY skyline on fire, and it came out sept 11, i mean could just be a coincidence, but no, not for people here :p

24. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    Wow. Out of the millions of images released on that day, one of them happened to feature New York on fire. The WTC happened to be in the shot, but so did the Statue of Liberty, and every other building in the typical New York skyline.

People who look for these parallels simply take what they're looking for, no matter how far they have to dig, and ignore everything else.

25. Gonk

Gonk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 1998
    HAM-MER! HAM-MER! HAM-MER! HAM-MER!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.