main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

strange parallels between AOTC and

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by admiral jimmy, Apr 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    [image=http://www.thekafir.co.uk/images/minitubby.jpg]

[image=http://www.abc.net.au/backberner/img/osama.jpg]

2. Ellie54

Ellie54 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    How about The Classic trilogy and "war against terror"?

Evil empire (USA) continues, through strong arm tactics and military might, to force the galaxy (world) into submission. Rampant xenophobia (racism) within Empire.

Differently thinking rebels (terrorists) launch desperate attacks from many different locations. Backed by the force (religious beliefs)

3. Ellie54

Ellie54 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    Anyone?

4. JangoFettz

JangoFettz Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2002
    I phuckin hate democrats who bash the President.

5. SWfan2002

SWfan2002 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2002
    so do I.

6. Ellie54

Ellie54 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    Hey, I'm no democrat. I'm a Canadian... Even worse, huh?

7. Pepijn

Pepijn Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    The evil empire more reminds me of Germany in world war II.

Palpatine used a political crisis to gain more power and later he labeled non-human citizens as second-rank (see any parralels with Hitler?)
    By the way, i think Palpatine is far too intelligent to stretch a parralel with Bush. I think this man can hardly boil an egg himself... (Well we've never seen Palpatine doing this, so maybe...)

8. bedada3

bedada3 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 9, 2002
    Some of you people need to calm down. The admiral made a few connections between the movie and the "war against terror." Sure it has some holes in it, but it's just an idea and something to consider.

Nobody needs to agree with that, but why is it necessary to change what is said into some disgusting extreme?

9. DarthHomer

DarthHomer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2000
    From Interzone magazine:

Let?s summarize. We have a notionally democratic Republic whose governing Senate is heavily in the pockets of big business, and whose elected leader is secretly in league with the Dark Side, deliberately fuelling a bilateral arms race with the aim of escalating local tensions into a galaxy-wide war. The real purpose of that war is to centralize power in the Chancellor himself, under the pretext of emergency security measures against an outside threat. But this will lead, with an inevitability foreseen a quarter-century ago, to a fascist dictatorship and the eventual abolition (early in A New Hope) of the institutions of democracy itself. Liberal apologists argue that the system, flawed as it is, is still worth defending, and that diplomacy is always better than armed confrontation. But they have no clear answer to the voices who argue that capital will always be the enemy of freedom, both within its institutions and without. Indeed, the most tangible challenge to the Republic comes from faceless multi-planetaries, a shadowy alliance of the forces of galactic capitalism with names like the Trade Federation, the Commerce Guilds, and the Corporate Alliance, who can arm faster because they?re not encumbered by the painful need for consultation, consensus, and democratic process, which in any case they?re busily subverting from within.

This is all pretty strong stuff for a Star Wars film, even without the additional resonance it picks up from its year of release. It would have been easy enough to present a simplified version in which George Bush is a Dark Lord of the Sith and leave it at that.

10. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    //stakes this thread through the heart

And stay down! :p

11. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    Doesn't Count Dooku look like Bin Laden with shorter beard. Also Obi-Wan sorta looks like a younger version of Bin Laden.

And doesn't Yoda kinda looks like George W Bush if you ;) your eyes and are upside down.

12. darth_pooh

darth_pooh Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2002
    George Senior is Sidious,
    Ashcroft is Dooku,
    Dubya is (a Greedo?)

"Now, you know son, there's always a master and an apprentice.."

"Yes daddy."

"And you remember the Alamo"

"Yes Pa"

"Now go out there and give those people a lesson. It's time for us to reveal the strength of Tejas!"

"Yes pa"

13. Ellie54

Ellie54 Jedi Youngling

Jul 18, 2002
    I always found it strange how quickly the stories of your gov'ts having information about the attacks before they happened got spiked in the media. Your vaunted security agencies must have known something. It's not that hard to imagine a Bush turning a blind eye or ear to information like that. It was a war that stabilized his daddy's presidency, it should for him as well.

DarthHomer, that's a great article. Very succinct.

14. darth_pooh

May 1, 2002
    that was a good post by Homer.

What's even worse Ellie, is a president who sells pictures of himself at a Rep. Fundraising Function: A photo of himself pondering destiny as he sits on AirForce One during the attacks...attacks which ended up being "inside knowledge" to his staff all along! Ridiculous.

It's almost like having a "staged" picture. Disgusting.

15. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "...attacks which ended up being "inside knowledge" to his staff all along!"

Careful not to exaggerate; there were isolated threats of attack that found their way to the FBI, along with hundreds of other threats each year. The way you say it, you make it sound like Bush's personal cabinet was fully aware of every detail, which does not appear to be the case by any means.

16. darth_pooh

May 1, 2002
    You may be right. But one can never tell. We have a media that seems to dance day and night when there's a story about a stain on a blue dress. Or about a president's sexual problems. Or if there's a story about whitewater.

But when it comes to the "family." The good ole boys network fueled by the sagebrush states...well then the news just doesn't really look into other newsworthy items. Like,

Now we have officials connected to one of the biggest bankruptcies of all time. A company, which while active probably had a nice hand in California Brownouts and the deregulation of electricity. But we won't get into that stuff because its too difficult for the public to understand compared to dirty underwear.

We also won't get into the whole Hicks thing and all the money that was made selling that "field of dreams" back to the state.

We also won't get into cocaine habits, drunken children, and old school Tammany Hall Texan political work. God forbid we contrast that with messages of "the family" being important to save our moral souls, or that vouchers are a key to a failing educational system!

Finally, we have the interesting fundraising.

But let's not look into what the FBI did or did not know, shall we? Especially since the DOJ is now run by Ashcroft.

There have been lots lessons learned since Nixon. Therefore, I like to draw my own conclusions about what I am and am not being told by the media and why. Otherwise I agree with you that one shouldn't jump to conclusions. :)

17. Tiu-Sen

Tiu-Sen Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2002
    The war on Terror is just another excuse to hide the truth. It has no relations with Star Wars except Sector S-4 in the Nevada desert.

Remember the truth will always be a lie.

18. bulent_hasan

bulent_hasan Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 15, 2002
    I just think that since the film's plot was literally planned 2 years prior to 9-11 I think it's just that the timing here was inescapable. Sometimes a message needs to get out there in any way possible. I guess the message of corrupt politics creating it's own conflicts that affect everyone was trying to find its way out there and it did through lucas. Remember the film "The China Syndrome"? When the studio made it they didn't want to release it because no one would go and see it, yet (if i remember correctly) before it came out, within a week or a month, there was the 3 Mile Island situation at the Nuclear Power Plant. Also currently in the Superman Comics, President Luthor (yes, he's Pres!) KNEW about the oncoming attacks from Warworld and he LET TOPEKA KANSAS BE DESTROYED so he can rally the forces, defeat Warworld and be the Global Hero, right when Bush and the FBI and CIA were in the news a lot when it was leaked that they all knew that there was going to be an attack and none of them did a damn thing. They let it happen. Sometimes, in a weird metaphysical way, a message or story, has to get out to people, and the strongest way for it to get out there is through pop culture.

19. bulent_hasan

Feb 15, 2002
    Tunisa is near the middle east, very close to it i think. I don't think it was supposed to represent the middle east, and by the way, lucas did write star wars because Francis Ford Coppola went off and directed a film he and Milius were going to make called Apocalypse Now and it wasn't the same story he wanted to make, so he wrote his own 'Nam story called STAR WARS. Watch Hearts of Darkness : A Filmmaker's Apocalypse.

20. bulent_hasan

Feb 15, 2002
    I think if everyone watched star wars, 1-6, they'd all shut up and realize that we as a society are stupid and that there are more important things to worry about. Living under an oppressive regime isn't good for anyone except for the dictator and those who worship him (notice I said 'him' and not "her"?). Star Wars, as a whole, is escapisim. Pure and simple. But it says a lot about the potential about one's worth that can change everyone's lives for the better and that's what we should all strive for.

I'm sick of everyone point to 9-11 and making connections to it. It's as if a terrorist attack hadn't existed before! My family is from Cyprus, we're turkish, and before 1974 there were so many atrocities done on that little island you'd think it were a warzone yet no one talked about it. Atrocities done on both sides! Turks did stuff to greeks and vice versa. It was a war and war sucks! Some of my very dear friends are Greeks and it sickens me to think that there are extremists who live literally 100 yards from my sister that believe that all turks should die. 100 yards. These people were raised to hate. They weren't born to. But they weren't taught anything different either. Sometimes a movie can help, if the movie's message is strong enough. I believe star wars's is.

21. revolution

revolution Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    Ellie54 wrote:
    >Hey, I'm no democrat. I'm a Canadian... Even worse, huh?

Canadian - what's that? Oh you mean one of those people in that
    big American held territory to the north;)

22. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

1. Terrorists (Jango,Zam,..) attack peaceful citizens
    2. charmismatic terrorist leader (Dooku/BinLaden) hides on desert planet with people outside the Republic/UNO.
    3. Leader of the free world aks for special powers to fight the terrorists
    4. Good Guys get unexpected help (Nothern Alliance/Clones)
    5. Good Guys arrive there (Geonosis looks to me much like Afghanistan) and beat the "hosts" of terrorism.
    6. terrorist leader gets away.

And in the end, the suuposed democratic Leader of the Free World turns out to be the most evil man alive...

23. SHAD0W-JEDI

SHAD0W-JEDI Force Ghost star 4

May 20, 2002

*SIGH*

I am going to do my utter best not to get drawn into a political debate here, as I think we all know that NO ONE will have their mind changed, and we will all just end up elevating each other's blood pressures...

BUT...

I think that a LOT of folks are strangely comforted by conspiracy theories. Oddly, believing in a shadowy conspiratorial power gives the world order, and forces the world to "make sense", in a way that I believe gives a lot of folks reassurance that the world is not nearly as chaotic, dangerous, random, and complicated as it really is.

If you really want to believe that G Bush and company KNEW all about 9-11 in advance...or for that matter, they planned it... or that the Israelis did it (did you read all the nasty, truly sleazy suggestions that all the "Jews" were prewarned and got out of the WTC? *SHUDDER*)... or that you can add Bill Clinton in, since his admin refused to take custody of Bin Laden when there was opportunity... or that there never was a plane that hit the Pentagon ... or that this is all the result of a secret agreement between Freemasons, the Catholic Church, and the still-living brain of Adolf Hitler which is kept alive on a spacestation circling Earth, placed there by the same race of aliens that crashed at Roswell...please, feel free to indulge...

As for me... I think AOTC is pretty much generic in its discussion of how evil can rise to power in ways much more subtle and seductive than the use of something like the Death Star. The themes are timeless. I would bet that if citizens of Rome could see AOTC, they would 'get it' (the technology aside)...

But G Bush, or Bin Laden, or America as the Evil Empire? Not buying it. Sorry.

Shadow

24. darthgetalife

darthgetalife Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 21, 2002
    Well I just watched the movie for the second time today ?
    I wouldn't be surprised if under the hood of darth sidious is no other than Dick Cheney ? there's a disturbing resemblance with their mouth and chin .
    ( ok this must not be a serious thread )

25. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    i find this funny..that the last post before mine..was posted at 911...pm...hmmm

interesting. someone is very subliminal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.