main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Strange things places from your past have been turned into

Discussion in 'Community' started by DantheJedi, Aug 29, 2014.

1. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Currently, my old high school is being remodeled to be a senior living facility.

Anybody else got stories just as crazy, or as mundane?

2. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    My old infinitely dense gravitational singularity inflated into an entire universe. Crazy!

VadersLaMent and jp-30 like this.
  3. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Hail lexu. You have returned.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The hospital where I was born was torn down, but before the rubble was cleared away, it was used as a set for The Day After, a High Octane Nightmare Fuel* of a movie about the aftereffects of a nuclear war, also set in my hometown. It is now a strip mall.

*seriously. This movie was shown to Ronald Reagan, and the bit at the end that said "we're pretty much underestimating how horrible things would be," supposedly freaked him out so bad that he toned down his anti-Soviet rhetoric.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The JCC has been turned into this.

Debo, tom, Everton and 6 others like this.
  6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    my place of birth has been reduced to a heap of ashes.

Sith-Lord-Gunray likes this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    My brain used to know things. It's been deconstructed with years of parenthood, alcohol abuse, marriage and Apples to Apples.

8. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    Another funny thing: the elementary school I went to for kindergarten through fourth grade is now the school district office building. After building a new elementary school, turning another into a night school/high school for troubled kids, building a new high school and selling the old school district office building to the local hospital, I guess they had to do something with it.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Part of a graveyard got sold to the city and turned into a city park. It's sandwiched between the graveyard and the new hospital in the city.

10. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The bedroom I had in my final year of university is now someone else's bedroom. True story.

11. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    They paved paradise and put up a parking lot. :(

12. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Kenny Rogers.

13. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Pffft, it's always been like this... moreorless.

jedinightwing likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    The theatre where I originally saw The EMpire Strikes Back is now a car dealership.

15. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    The movie theater I saw Gremlins, Star Trek III, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Ghostbusters, and The Goonies is now a hair salon and a walkway between buildings.

16. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Mine is currently a modified version of Boston Market, The Gap and Starbucks. [face_plain]

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The main theater of my childhood is now an indoor go - kart racing track.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    The apartment building where Jeffrey Dahmer lived is now an overgrown fenced off lot.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The theater where I saw ESB, ROTJ, all the Back to the Future movies, all the Indy movies, The Goonies, Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Neverending Story, most of the John Hughes films, and many cheesy 80s slasher flicks along the lines of Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street, has been torn down and turned into additional parking for the adjoining mall, which is half-empty.

No idea about the theater where I saw the original Star Wars; I was living in a small town in Virginia, to which I haven't returned.

That mall though--there was no real place in town for teenagers to hang out so we walked loops around the mall, looked at what everyone else was wearing, bought ice cream from Baskin Robbins, played video games in the arcade, got back in our cars and circled the parking lot...until it got to the point where the cops would give you a ticket if you circled more than twice.

Now the stores are 3/4 empty, the anchor stores have moved to a new shopping center and the city is planning to tear the mall down. They did build a decent multiplex adjoining it though.

20. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Lizzie Borden's house, where she committed those famous murders, is now a bed and breakfast.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...d_and_Breakfast-Fall_River_Massachusetts.html

Who wouldn't want to sleep in that house? [face_worried]

21. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009