main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Richmond,VA Strange Wars Sumo Cards! Fight!

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by NekoKaiju, May 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NekoKaiju

NekoKaiju Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 23, 2004
    Originally made from clay or lead, menko (meaning object with a face) are used in a sumo like game of trying to flip your opponents menko out of a circle or ring. After WWII, menkos became more like American baseball cards except made on a thicker stock of cardboard for fighting purposes. Now a days you can find Menko cards of all you favorite anime characters and movie stars. Menko are usually unlicensed, like these colorful cards from the seventies. There is so much strangeness here, I'll let the cards speak for themselves.

[image=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3066/2491501941_fcf08b3ba3.jpg]

Unlicensed Star Wars Menko Cards
    Japan

2. NekoKaiju

Jan 23, 2004
    Perhaps people would like to caption each of these? I'll start it off,
    Third from the left, bottom row
    "3P0 became very self conscious when he realized all this time R2 had been looking up his new metal skirt"

3. shabad

shabad Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 18, 2006
    So cool. Threepio gets to be the star on these, what a strange collection of characters. Looks like micro man is in one too.

4. TGaines1

TGaines1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 2, 2007
    Is that something you collect Paul? Dont know the slightest about them but they certainly look collectible. How'd you come across those?

5. NekoKaiju

Jan 23, 2004
    I have a bizarre interest in Japanese Star Wars collectibles. My collection is very small and unfortunately doesn't include Star Wars Menko cards though I do have a set of Kabuki Menkos. A set of the original Star Wars Menkos will set you back about $100.

6. ItsThatGuy

ItsThatGuy Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 12, 2006
    I love it! Awesome! I've actually never heard of menko, I had to look up how it was played:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uUnBJX7X1GY

Reminds me of pogs to some extent.

So for subtitles...

I will number the cards like this:
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8

1: Threepio unexpectedly drops in on Moff Tarkin as he is wearing a Leia wig."Oh my, goodness gracious me!"

3: Threepio awakens to a bad dream that The Shredder lives!!!
    [image=http://www.artline.ro/admin/_files/newsannounce/TMNT1987_Shredder.png]

5: Vader's eyes burn with anger as Threepio shows off his decorating skills; via the freshly painted (now pink) death star.

....ok yeah...those were pretty lame! [face_laugh]

7. NekoKaiju

Jan 23, 2004
    Vader's plan for the pink Death Star is so diabolical, he has to take his gloves off and rub his hands maniacally.

Thanks for the You Tube Link!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.