main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Stranger in a Strange Land - Book 1: The Arrival (OC, AU)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Whiskey in the Jar-Jar, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Whiskey in the Jar-Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 17, 2000
    Hey all.

As you can probably see from the registration date, I've been around for a while...just not as active as I used to be.

Anyway, to ease myself back into the groove that is JC fan fiction, I've decided to re-post my work here. Most of them were posted before the boards split the fan fiction section into the triad it is now, and after so long they've doubtless sunk to the bottom of the pile.

That being said, I want to become an active member of this community again, so here we go.

[b]Title[/b]: Stranger in a Strange Land - Book 1: The Arrival
    [b]Genre[/b]: Adventure, Action
    [b]Rating[/b]: PG-13 (contains violence, some blood, and a few explosions)

[b]FOREWORD[/b]:
    I started this series not long after 'Conquest' came out, so the setting I'm using is a speculative look at the end of the Yuuzhan Vong war. Of course, the moment 'Star by Star' came out this little vision of the universe I had came crashing down, but by that time I was in too deep to really stop.

Anyway, the story begins roughly 2 years after the war. The Vong have been defeated, their remnants scattered throughout the galaxy. Once a conquering force, they now exist in hiddent pockets on several worlds, where they continuously plot to eventually overthrow the Republic and re-shape the galaxy.

The Imperial Remnant, under the command of Grand Admiral Pellaeon, has retreated to the Unknown Regions. Weary of combat, Pellaeon is now more concerned with bolstering the Remnant's defenses against any future Vong attacks than he is with battling the Republic. Many in the fleet don't share that sentiment, but crossing the Grand Admiral makes about as much sense as cleaning a blaster with the e-clip still inside.

As for the Republic, Borsk Fey'lya has now seized absolute control, naming himself President. He still maintains the Senate, but clearly has his own agenda as to the direction in which the galaxy should go.

The Jedi Order still exists, but is limited to Yavin IV and the Errant Venture in terms of location. Treated like 2nd class citizens under Fey'lya, Jedi movement is meticulously monitored throughout Republic space. Further, anyone found to be Force sensistive by the Republic is faced with either permanent exile to the Jedi Order, or execution.

Hopefully that's enough of a preface for everyone, and I hope you enjoy the story.

Ok...here we go...

[hr]

[i]Where am I?[/i]

Darkness. Cold and eternal darkness enveloped him. Yet he did not fear the dark, for here he was home. This was his jungle: The jungle of darkness. Fear did not rule here?only the man?

Calm gently washed over curiosity just enough for him to keep his eyes closed and his breathing shallow. His years of training gave him that advantage. Almost imperceptibly, his eyelids parted. Long before, he?d detected the others in the room. Their presence in the room had caused his whiskers to tingle?one of a few factors that had led to his eventual awakening.

Through the slits created by his open eyelids, Dalan could make out the shadows that were milling about. For now, he decided that any sudden moves would trigger an adverse response. Instead, he relied on his other senses to gather information. His ears could make out the voices around him. They seemed to be speaking English, but his head was far too muddled to discern any of the conversations. His nose could detect the odour of a few anaesthetics and other strong-smelling chemicals. Perhaps he was in an infirmary or hospital?no?not that. His ears could also pick up the distant thrumming of engines?big engines?over the muffled voices. Wherever he was, he seriously doubted it was on a planet.

Dalan timed the milling of the shadows to open his eyes more without detection. Those around him seemed human enough: Dressed like med-techs or something. He couldn?t be sure because he?d never seen uniforms quite like them before. Come to think of it, none of this room looked familiar. His one lapse of panic caused him to take in a quick breath of air?just enough to press his

2. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    And a bit more...

[i]?Space travel is a funny thing. Scientists from around the Confederation have always said that nothing could ever break the speed of light lest it wind up moving backwards in time. The first nuclear powered ships proved this theory as they came within 98% of the speed of light. Any chronometers aboard these ships always seemed to be anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours behind after completing a voyage across space.?

?The advent of hyperspace technology, though, gave people the ability to bypass what physics wouldn?t allow. Basically, traveling through hyperspace is accomplished by opening a small dimensional rift in so-called ?real? space. In this new dimension, the time/space ratio is weighted heavily on the latter, allowing for greater spatial distances to be traversed in less time. Without this kind of travel, the galaxy would still be composed of naught but lost planets, alone in space.?

?It takes a rather large amount of power to generate a rift into hyperspace, but every ConFed scientist agrees that we?ve only scratched the surface of this mode of travel. Perhaps someday, a jump will be made that could send us even further into deep space?perhaps even to another galaxy??[/i]

Dalan shuddered as memories of his high school physics classes danced through his mind. As he continued his stretching routine in the rec area of the Roundhammer, he replayed those three paragraphs over and over in his mind. He?d been aboard this ship for two weeks now, by his own timetable, during which he tried to arrive at a reason for his predicament. All he could think of were the theories proposed by the Confederation?s Science Council back on Orionis IV, about going deeper into the realm of hyperspace in order to travel greater distances.

Considering his current situation, Dalan believed he?d just proven those theories to be correct.

His stretching over, Dalan picked up the metal staff leaning up against the wall where his warm up suit lay crumpled on the floor. He would have preferred a proper wooden Bo staff for this exercise, but there was very little in the way of that aboard the Roundhammer. Yet, the staff was light enough that it would suffice for his workout. Giving it a few quick spins, the tiger commenced his daily routine.

On the bridge, Corvain watched the tiger?s practice through his surveillance cameras. Since Dalan?s awakening, the captain had kept a close eye on him, ensuring that his ?guest? was behaving himself. After the incident in the med bay with the restraint, he?d realized that holding Dalan here would be a daunting task should things turn difficult.

On the whole, though, Corvain was rather impressed with the tiger?s demeanour and poise. For an alien, he certainly carried himself well?almost as well as an ambassador or another political occupation. Yet, as he watched Dalan go through his workout, he wondered about the true nature of Dalan?s demeanour. Was it genuine, or merely a calm façade, hiding a storm of rage beneath it?

The sound of hard boots clopping on the deck plates made Corvain look up from his console. He held the lieutenant in his gaze for a moment, and then relaxed slightly. ?What is it, Kol?? he asked.

?Sir,? replied Lieutenant Kol Agrilen. ?The security reports from last night.? Corvain nodded and accepted the data pad. ?He slept quite soundly, sir?after spending several hours reading. He?s learning the Basic language quite well.?

?Amazing how two species can speak the same language but write it so differently,? commented the captain. ?A bit of an enigma, this one is. Look here.? Kol leaned in to look at the monitor. He gasped as he saw Dalan run through his routine with first the Bo staff, then just with hands and feet. ?Precise control,? continued Corvain. ?Tell me, Kol: Do you know much about the Old Republic??

?No more than I was taught at the Academy,? replied the officer. Corvain grinned.

?I?m a bit of a student of history,? said the captain. ?I came across some training holos in

3. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    Tee-arr-nation! ;)

Piping in for moral support, and a good welcome back from a old pro to an old pro.

FORWARD!

4. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Thanks a lot for the boost, Casper. :D

And yeah, it's good to be back.

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oh, this looks really great. I'm happy I get the chance to catch one of your stories from the beginning, especially this one. Great start! =D=

6. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Thanks so much, Sara :D

I think that's the real downside to larger fanfic projects: Trying to read them from the beginning can be difficult, especially if the earlier stories are buried 10-20 pages deep on the forums. I'm glad I'm able to give some of the more...hmmm...'seasoned' readers a chance to read this one from the beginning.

And, with that being said, here's the next little installment. Time to build the tension up a bit. (hee hee hee)

Blue milk?cool.

Dalan took a swig of the liquid and settled down to eat. He had to admit that for a ship as mind-numbingly grey as this tub, the food wasn?t all that bad. At the very least he was able to continue his daily exercise rituals, and his stomach was full with rations about as bearable as any ship food he?d tasted.

Still, what he wouldn?t give for an open pit-cooked Twaro steak, dripping with Max?s homemade barbecue sauce and still sizzling loudly when it hit the plate. The tiger licked his chops as the thought crept in and out of his mind, sadistically teasing his palette.

?Mind if I join you?? Dalan looked up from his seat to see an elderly officer standing before him, tray in hand. With a slight nod, the officer took a seat opposite the tiger. ?I?ve heard the gossip around the ship about you,? said the officer, ?but until now I didn?t believe it.?

Dalan smiled thinly at the comment; this had only been the umpteenth time he?d heard it since waking up aboard this ship. He sardonically wondered if it was standard Imperial training to infuse redundant comments and bad humour into the soldiers. At least then it would explain a few things.

?Are only humans allowed to serve aboard these ships?? asked Dalan, deciding he?d better say something. ?Based on what I?ve read, it seems crazy that Imperial policy would dictate such a thing. Of course, it could explain the looks I get wherever I go.?

?Unfortunately,? responded the officer, ?one of the Empire?s original mandates was the purity of the human race. Aliens of any sort were frowned upon and forbidden to serve aboard any military craft.?

Dalan understood where this officer was coming from. He?d met several genocide races in his travels and it was always an issue with purity for these people, as if being different was a curse on existence. He regarded this particular officer differently from the others he?d met on board?his social skills seemed much more genuine and not so stiff and rigid like everyone else. It was a miracle that he?d made it to an officer?s rank, the tiger thought. ?I take it you don?t share that philosophy,? he said to the officer.

?Prejudice is nothing worth fighting for,? the officer readily acknowledged with a nod. ?The Republic was restored mainly thanks to the talents of other alien species. In their diversity, they found strength enough to overcome the otherwise ?pure? humanity of the Empire.?

?So,? said Dalan, finishing his meal and downing the blue milk, ?if you don?t support the cause, why do you wear the colors?or lack thereof?? In response, the officer slid a data pad towards the tiger. ?What?s this?? he asked softly. Dalan had an idea, but he wanted to be sure he was right.

?I?ve arranged for your ship to be in the main hangar bay first thing tomorrow,? the officer replied. ?This pad contains some astral data to get you into New Republic space.? Dalan picked up the pad and started looking it over. ?Is that the fighting style data you were looking for?? the officer asked as trooper walked by.

?Interesting style,? commented Dalan, slipping into the role easily. When the trooper moved on his voice grew quiet again. ?Why are you doing this?? he asked.

?Ever since the Empire lost the war,? began the officer, ?the New Republic?s been monitoring Imperial activities and vice-versa. There?s an uneasy peace between the two because of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion, but a war could break out at any time. Corvain wants to lead the charge against the Republic and set himself up as Emperor, ahead of Admiral Pellaeon, and he?ll take any

7. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Yes: asking the younglings of the Boards to go to page 100 in the old boards to read this fic could be asking a bit much. ;)

And it's been a LONG time since I read this, so it's new to me! :D

Seasoned? (Licks arm) Yup, seasoned! I taste like lemon pepper! [face_laugh]

PEPPER!

8. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    And here we go...the end of Book 1.

Depending on how I feel this weekend I'll start posting book 2 in a new thread.

Until then, enjoy :D

Dalan emerged from his quarters and moved quickly down the corridors towards the hangar. If the officer had been right, then his ship should be on the deck and unguarded, just the two things he needed right now.

When he finally reached the hangar, though, his illusions of an easy escape were dashed. He could see at least twenty stormtroopers milling about his ship, weapons drawn and looking for trouble. The tiger felt his heart sink slightly and turned to go?running smack dab into the barrel of a raised rifle. A sextet of stormtroopers had assembled behind him, and behind them stood Corvain. To the captain?s left, another soldier of some sort held a familiar figure at gunpoint?the officer.

?You?ll have to forgive this,? said the captain arrogantly. ?But for some strange reason I had the impression that you were trying to leave. Hardly what I would call a fair price for our hospitality.?

?And what would you call a ?fair price,? if I may ask?? inquired Dalan. His eyes darted over the assembled troopers. Imperceptibly, his feet slid apart a bit more, allowing him to assume a more rigid stance.

?You see,? the captain began, ?as you?ve probably read, the Empire is not what it used to be. The very word ?Empire? is supposed to represent an entire galaxy united under one authority. Right now, the majority of this galaxy is held by the Republic?a government based on the whims of the people, not the common good.?

?It?s the people who should decide their own fate,? countered Dalan, slipping into his diplomatic tones. ?By accepting responsibility for their own futures, societies move forward.?

?Before a society can move forward all must agree on the rules,? commented Corvain. ?And to facilitate that kind of agreement it has to be proven beyond all measures that one power can and will dominate all others. Your ship, I believe, holds that key.? With a nod, three of the troopers moved to surround Dalan. ?I want to know what it is capable of,? demanded the captain. ?You will unlock its security protocols and allow our engineers inside.?

?And if I don?t?? asked Dalan. The sharp blast of a weapon filled the air and the tiger watched in horror as the officer crumpled to the ground. The black-clad soldier?s helmet gave no indication of emotion, but the way he held that smoking pistol said it all: He enjoyed what he?d just done.

?His fate will be yours, alien,? said Corvain. The word ?alien? dripped with the prejudice Dalan had picked up on during his time here. ?You will cooperate with us.?

Dalan barely heard that last threat. By that time he?d closed his eyes and mellowed out his breathing. Instinct overlaid reason and senses other than sight began speaking. His whiskers tingled as he gauged where the trooper trio was in proximity to him. The light clacking of boots on bulkheads indicated that they were moving closer. Inwardly he grinned. These fools had absolutely no idea what was coming next.

The trooper to the rear of Dalan was first. The Dark Seed blossomed forth and Ravage sprang into action. With a lightning fast sweep kick the tiger knocked the trooper off his feet, sending the rifle flying into the air. He caught the rifle with his left hand while using the momentum from the kick to propel his fist at one of the other troopers. The armoured guard was lifted a meter in the air. When he landed, the cracked chest plate and accumulating pool of blood underneath him said it all.

?Get him!? yelled Corvain.

With that, the remaining four guards advanced on Ravage. The tiger was on them in a mere heartbeat. The black trooper, bereft of any armour, fell quickly as his heart was wrenched from his body and crushed. The third trooper that had been guarding Ravage was next as the tiger went for his rifle, pulling off his arm in the process. The trooper screamed wildly in pain for the time it took Ravage to deliver a punch t

9. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Well, a short story like this is how one begins to figure out what they have. Any good idea begins small. :D

FORWARD HO!

10. Whiskey in the Jar-Jar

Apr 17, 2000
    Yep...and as you know, from here the stories only get bigger ;)

That being said, I'm starting to post Book 2 on the boards once I'm done writing this post.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.