main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strangest ending to a game

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    (except Cal/Stanford of course)

Appalachin State was up on Furman 14-9. Furman scores with 0:05 remaining in the game to go up 15-14. They elect to go for two to make the score a FG difference and the pass is picked of and returned for a TD giving Appalachin State the 16-15 victory.

2. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
  3. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Dolphins vs. Cowboys - Thanksgiving 1993

Leon Lett strikes again. :p

4. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    This year's Fiesta Bowl between Oklahoma and Boise State.

Of course, there's "the band is out on the field!" 1982 Cal-Stanford Big Game.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Cal-Stanford with the band trumps all in this category.

This year's Fiesta Bowl was crazy, but still not in that category.

EDIT:
    Video with a mix of coaches reactions, pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyzTzwTFgcs

6. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The strangest ending to a televised game had to be the Heidi Game back in the '60s. (Language note - the Wiki entry has a word not allowed here).

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    lol the Heidi game. What the hell were they thinking?

The Saints' lateral medley and missed XP has to be up there with the band play.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    With the Heidi game, though, it wasn#t the game itself that was weird, but the tv network's coverag -- thinking the Jets lead over the Raiders insurmountable, they switched to a movie, Heidi. The Raiders then staged one of the most amazing comebacks in history, prompting the network (ABC?) to switch back.
    Cal_Stanford was just flat out bizarre with the band on the field, thus the winner hand's down. The Leon Lett gaff is definitely up there, though I'd go back to college for a weirder one -- Colorado back in the early 90s when they were competing for the National Championship scored a touchdown on 5th down -- the refs miscounted.

9. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Makes you wonder how in the world that could have happened - between all the different refs, the opposing team, the fans, etc. Someone has to notice something like that.

Although there was a basketball game just a few years ago that the road team had 6 guys on the court for a while and no one noticed, not even the fans (it was the road team with too many players, too) or the opposing team or the refs.

10. EBSaints

EBSaints Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 29, 2002
    That New Orleans play was one of the most excited and heartbreaking moments I've ever seen while watching my beloved Saints. Man, we hated John Carney for a while after that missed XP.

Here's the Blue Grass Miracle from LSU/Kentucky. The best part is the Kentucky coach getting the Gatoraide bath and all the fans rushing the field, then realizing that they'd just lost the game.

11. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I've got the winner here, and I'll argue with anyone who wants to disagree with me. The 1972 Men's Basketball Gold Medal Game at the Olympics featured the United States vs. the Soviet Union. The Soviets led 49-48 late in the game, when they fouled the U.S.' Doug Collins with three seconds left. Collins hit both free throws to give the U.S. the lead, and the Soviets inbounded the ball quickly, ending the game. BUT the referee stopped the clock with one second left because the Soviet coach attempted to call a time out during Collins' free throws, which was clearly against the rules. The Soviet's second inbound pass was intercepted by the U.S. and the game was over, UNTIL the head of FIBA (International Basketball Federation) awarded the Soviet coach the time-out and three more seconds. The Soviets then hit an improbable lay-up to win the game and the Gold, ending the U.S. winning streak. The U.S. players were so upset they refused to accept the Silver at the medal ceremony and appealed the decision. An appeals committee, consisting of the USSR, Cuba, Romania, Italy and Puerto Rico decided to reject the U.S. appeal.

Top that!

12. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Top that!

The band. 'nuff said.

That at least comes close, though.

13. TheLighterSide

TheLighterSide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I was in Boston following that game on the internet while watching BC vs. Pitt, I think, on television. I saw that Kentucky had the lead with seconds to go and I thought "YES!! We're finally gonna beat somebody!" And then, they interrupted the BC game with the highlight at the same time the page on ESPN.com refreshed to show the final socre. Should've known. It's Kentucky football, after all.

14. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Although there was a basketball game just a few years ago that the road team had 6 guys on the court for a while and no one noticed, not even the fans (it was the road team with too many players, too) or the opposing team or the refs.

Georgetown had 6 men on the court for an entire overtime session against Villanova

15. whiskers

whiskers Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    As a Missouri Tigers fan--even though I was too young to see it live--I definately know about that piece of crap end. There was also the kicked pass in a Nebraska in 1997(?).

16. Rogue...Jedi

Jan 12, 2000
    Georgetown had 6 men on the court for an entire overtime session against Villanova

Yeah, that was it. I thought I remembered Georgetown being involved in that, though I couldn't remember whether they were the team with 6 or the home team. Also remembered it being late, but not that it was overtime. Still, how did the fans not notice?

17. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    That was in the back of my head when I was writing my earlier post, knew it involved Nebraska, but couldn't remember what happened.

The end of the US-USSR game was bizarre on a level nothing else can touch, not even Cal-Stanford. One gets the impression the refs would have found an excuse to let the Russians keep trying until they finally scored.

18. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Can'tr believe I forgot this one: UNC-Georgetown NCAA final, 1982. Brilliant game, Worthy and Jordan vs Ewing and Sleepy Floyd. Right down to the wire. Heels take the lead, Georgetown comning down for a last attempt. Clock winding down, when the Hoya's Fred Brown passes the ball .. to James Worthy of Norht Carolina.

19. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    there's always Chris Webber's timeout call

20. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    The Chappell brothers' underarm against New Zealand.

21. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    That was karma after not calling the travel a few moments before. :p Though when you couple that with the Fred Brown pass, it is strange to get two such odd endings for national championships.

But I'm torn between the US Olympic basketball team against USSR or Cal/Stanford for my overall pick.

22. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Packers and Vikings on Monday Night Football in 2000. The game is in OT, and Favre throws to Antonio Freeman. Freeman is on the ground, and the ball bounces off his back and he grabs it, then runs into the endzone. It was so bizarre, but I wasn't complaining.

23. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    Some of the loudest boos I've heard at a sporting event followed, the US/USSR's conclusion and for good reason.

Their was also a High School football game in Texas. Team A was winning 41-3. team B fought back from 38 down to take a 44-41 lead with 6 seconds to go. Team A returns the kickoff for a TD giving them the 47-44 win. The radio announcer was quoted "I fell so bad for these kids, I think I'm goint to throw up"

24. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Agreed.

The world Cup 1999 Australia-Semi Final tie also ended with an underarm, but one more in tune with the spirit of the game :p

25. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.