main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strangest ending to a game

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by rechedelphar, Jan 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    As always when these type of threads come up, I direct you to Salt Lake City 2002 and the Mens Speedskating final

2. darthdrago

darthdrago Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 31, 2003
    I was also gonna include the Cal-Stanford and US-USSR games. One added bit on the US-USSR fiasco: I heard that since the US squad refused their silver medals, the medals remain in a bank vault in Munich to this day, unclaimed by the USA.

Somebody mentioned a MNF game from the 2000 season. I do remember one MNF game that season where it was a NY Jets-Miami game and Miami was up about 35 points going in the 4th, and the Jets managed to erase the deficit almost entirely in the 4th quarter, and won. Does anybody else remember this?

I'd also have to vote for the Zidane-Materazzi headbutt in the final moments of the World Cup final last year, before the penalty shootout. Had Zidane not been ejected, I'm convinced he would have been holding the World Cup trophy over his head.

3. SithLordKobe

SithLordKobe Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 31, 2007
    That Indiana Pacers game against the Knicks where Reggie Miller scored a bunch of points in a matter of seconds?

I forgot how many he scored or the number of seconds he scored it in. I want to say double-digits in 8 seconds but I probably am wrong.

4. JakkUtt-PokkUtt

JakkUtt-PokkUtt Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2005
    I saw a clip of a HS basketball game a few years ago where one of the players on the losing team (just seconds left in the game) got down on all fours and started barking like a crazy dog... everyone on the team leading stopped to look at the dude, the ball was stolen, and the other team made the last shot to win the game. I haven't seen a stranger ending to anything.

5. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Ah, the ol' "Mad Dog"! That play served me well on the playground. We even had a variation where we slipped the 'dog' the ball and he crawled the whole field for a touchdown.

That reminds of this one game at school. I was probably, I don't know, twelve or thirteen at the time, I can't remember. Anyways, it was tied and the other team was near the end zone. I had good hands and could read their quarterback, but I was slow as molasses, so I'd play safety and wait for a chance to pick one off. So their quarterback drops back to pass and is looking for his receiver in the back of the end zone. Big mistake, as I cut across th efield and leap as high as I can to get the ball. I intercepted it and fell near the dumpster that was the back of the endzone. We played two-touch, but since I'd gone done because of the dive, the play wasn't over. On a sudden impulse, I slipped the ball in the space between the dumpster and the ground. Only a really small and speedy guy so me do it, as I'd fallen with my back to most people.

So I stood up andpretended to carry the football. I started to run down the sidelines, as it was easier to hide the ball. I hadn't been running long before someone tagged me. I grinned and showed them I didn't have the ball. Everything came to a halt for a second. Then I heard shouts and saw the aforementioend speedy guy flying by everyone on their team. Then the bell rang. Good times.

6. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    That's the one I was going to pick.

Another one I saw was a Texas High School Football game. One team was down twenty some points heading into the fourth quarter. They managed to come back and take the lead. On the ensuing kickoff, a player for the other team ran it back for a td.

Well I see that game was mentioned too.

7. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    the "music city miracle" has to be up there, as well as "the immaculate reception".

8. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 7, 2004
    It's not the strangest, but Colts/Steelers in the playoffs a couple years ago was an amazing game.

9. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    How about that Browns/Chiefs game a few years ago where Dwayne Rudd threw his helmet, extending the game and moving the Chiefs into position for the winning field goal.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    that browns/chiefs one was awesome.

Back in 2001 (I think) the Browns-Steelers played a regular season game. Pittsburgh won in overtime, but only after recovering their own blocked field goal attempt that some wierd rule allowed them to retain possession and rekick.

11. rechedelphar

rechedelphar Jedi Master star 6

Mar 29, 2004
    I believe that ended up costing the Browns a playoff spot because they were 1 game away from the playoffs

12. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    I think the same year though they also beat Jacksonville on a crazy hail mary. I remember Butch Davis saying those games sort of canceled each other out in his mind.

13. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I know its Division III, but that finish to the Trinity-Millsaps game was insane. Something like 15 laterals on the last play, lasting over a minute AFTER then clock had expired? Granted, the band didn't run onto the field, but still...

14. Thrawn1786

Thrawn1786 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 8, 2004
    I'm amazed it made it onto Sportscenter being Division III. Funny enough, Millsaps is one of the schools I'm thinking about going to.

15. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I lol'd when ESPN kept showing this over the weekend.

16. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003
    The "Immaculate" mistake the refs made in the Oakland V. Pittsburg AFC title game.

The refs knew what happend, and still to this day people do not know that that play was against the rules at that time. The ball could not be touched by two players on the same team on a foreward pass.

17. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    people do know that. But it's a continuous debate. It's hard to tell from the video whether the ball bounced off a Steeler or a Raider.

18. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    The Division 3 play was incredible. It's incredible that all of the laterals were legal

19. DRHJ9

DRHJ9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 19, 2003

In the HBO special "Rebels of Oakland," They showed it in slow motion and had some comentary on it, it looks like the ball hits off of the Steeler WR a slpit second before Tatum drilled him.

In any case, it was a weird ending, the refs calling the play a TD with fans on the feild and both teams not knowing what was going on.

I choose to believe the story that the refs asked how much security was at the game, found out there wasn't enough, and called it a TD.;)

20. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    The Division 3 play was incredible. It's incredible that all of the laterals were legal

Not to mention that there wasn't a block in the back during all of that running around.

21. Obese_1_Ka-Blooey

Obese_1_Ka-Blooey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 7, 2006
    TEH BAND IS ON TEH FIELD!!!!!!!11!!!

22. rechedelphar

Mar 29, 2004
    looking at the Trinity play more closely, I have to say that it was more a matter of Millsaps pathetic defense that trininty's great lateraling

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.