Straw Poll

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Just_A_Slacker, Sep 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Red_Oktobur Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    If you had been a mod, it would have made me have a problem with the administration.

*low "ooooooo"*

;)

How is it that I dealt with it harshly?

Okay, so maybe I did. But I speak the truth when I say that there have been way too many complaints about the administration, and I say obviously it hasn't changed before, why do you think it'll change now? If you keep complaining, maybe it will change? That's what I don't understand. I have seen little problems in the administration, save the LMM incident, but that, in my whole posting career here in the JC, is probably the only problem I have seen with it.

And another thing I don't understand is why people think they should have access to the Private Boards. It's there that the administraion makes the decisions, and they have the ModSquad update. What's wrong with that? If they want it private, it's for a good reason, and regular users who do not have that priviledge shouldn't be able to access it in any way, shape or form. This is the way it goes.

...and a Jango
  2. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    FlamingSword, you might not believe me when I say this, but that one post erased 100 bad things from today. I appreciate that you appreciate me. :)
  3. FlamingSword Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    JAS, I went back and edited my post to have clearer Yes/No answers. However, these questions can't be simpliefied to Yes/No terms easily. Most answers lie inbetween for me.

Red_Oktobur, yeah, perhaps a little too low [face_blush].
    While I think you are right that people complain too much, coming down so harshly only invalidates their complaints. They do have a reason to complain, perhaps the response is just out of proportion. And ditto on the private boards.

DarthSapient, you're welcome. :)
    I mean every bit of what I said. While no administration is perfect, you guys are trying hard to do a good job :)
  4. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Did y'all just see what happened to Communications? I hope you didn't and that we caught it. We were spammed by about 5 threads from a user. But we don't care about the boards. [face_plain]
  5. Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    1) Are the mods/admins out of touch with the concerns of the regular posters?

For the most part, I believe the administration does care about the JC populace and its interests. Many of them (DarthSapient, KnightWriter, NathanDahlin, Darth Dark Helmet - just to name a few) do a particularly fine job of keeping the peace and interacting with the "normal" people. They're there when needed. They'll gladly answer questions or requests.

2) Are the mods/admins doing a good job of leading the boards?

I'm split over this. Many mods, like the examples I listed above, often go above and beyond the call of duty. They generally have a good attitude and are good role models for any member to follow.

Still, I've seen some arrogance and incompetence by some of the members of the Administration (an example would be the LMM case, but many mods still maintained a professional attitude) and I'll paraphrase Vertical, "there is no rule against mods being arrogant". There might not be a rule, but does it make sense for ANY member of the administration to consistently be rude and arrogant? Common sense and reasoning should hold precedence alongside those rules which are set in stone.

Overall, though, I'll go with a "yes".

3) Would you favor a shakeup in the mods/admins by way of replacing them with new blood?

Yes. But if this were to happen, I suppose any mod being considered for "layoffs" should be given a 2-week notice saying that he/she should be more active or else will face demotion to VIP.

I can probably name five good members who would do an absolutely fantastic job of maintaining order, yet actively participate in discussion at the same time, just as Mace Windy has initially proclaimed upon promotion. These are honest-to-goodness people who have priorities, and wouldn't back down any requests without a good reason.

4) If you could, would you cast a vote of "No Confidence" in the current administration?

The administration isn't perfect. They're as much human as anyone else here. They make mistakes just like you or I would. They've proven to make some questionable calls, and they are often stuck in their ways.

Still, I must vote "no." These people are volunteering. We didn't elect them. The Administration might need some re-working but I cannot logically place a vote of "no-confidence" in them since I've yet to see, and honestly prove, something that they've done that's worthy of taking them to trial.

5) Mods and Admins are essentially permanent positions. Would you prefer a system where mods and admins are a temporary position that would keep a mod on for 6 months and then replace him with someone different?

No. Some of the mods we have are absolute gems. They love this board. The mod squad might lose much of its heart and soul once these temps leave. There might be some less-than-sparkly people in the MS, but the diamonds more than atone for this.

6) Do you feel that mods/admins should only debate board issues in private?

Depends on the situation. If they're discussing a new policy that directly affects us, the JC members, we should have a voice BEFORE they take the matter into their own hands and pass some new policy.

If they're discussing something that might not be so meaningful, then by all means, secretly chat away.

7) Do you feel that regular users should be allowed to read-only the Mod Squad threads that do not directly effect board security?

It wouldn't be a bad idea. I think the members should be in the know. We're the true heart of this board.

8) Do you feel that mods/admins use their power to their own whims?

No. I've seen people like big_boss_nass and gundark promoted to VIP for some reason which I'm not aware of (and I'm positive it's not relevant to anything they've done here) and I've seen some questionable bans, but I believe most mods do put their personal feelings aside and act purely on business.

9) Do you feel that mods/admins should be held to a stricter code than normal members, including harsher punishments for i
  6. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Did someone say you don't care? :confused:
  7. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5
  8. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    Yes, Sapient, I caught that spamming attempt. Personally, I think that, as a whole, the moderating staff cares quite a bit about this place. I don't think too many regular users could put up with half the crap you guys have to deal with. There are times that I wonder why you even bother putting up with it. You came here to discuss Star Wars, not to get involved with everything else. Obviously, you were a valuable addition to the boards, so you were promoted to moderator. Now, rather than being able to discuss Star Wars all the time, you have to put up with so much other crap. I applaud you. Obviously, you care about this place, if you are willing to go above and beyond your original reason for coming here (to discuss Star Wars), to help make this place better for the regular user. :)
  9. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    1) Yes
    2) Mostly, yes
    3) Not entirely
    4) Not entirely
    5) Yes
    6) No
    7) Yes
    8) Sometimes
    9) Yes
    10) If possible, yes

I have to say I was frustrated at certain points with this poll. The Yes-or-No-only restriction didn't allow for acknowledgement of any gray areas, but instead favored extremist answers.
  10. McNerf-Burger Jedi Youngling

star 5

Mostly. (yes)

Nope...but thats not really a recent development...(no)

3) Would you favor a shakeup in the mods/admins by way of replacing them with new blood?
    Most certainly. (yes)

4) If you could, would you cast a vote of "No Confidence" in the current administration?
    Of course. (yes)

5) Mods and Admins are essentially permanent positions. Would you prefer a system where mods and admins are a temporary position that would keep a mod on for 6 months and then replace him with someone different?
    Excellent idea, yup. (yes)

No, its stupid. (no)

7) Do you feel that regular users should be allowed to read-only the Mod Squad threads that do not directly effect board security?
    We can do that by searching on Google..tee hee! But in seriousness, yes. There should be no hiding of things! (yes)

Yes. (no translation necessary)

9) Do you feel that mods/admins should be held to a stricter code than normal members, including harsher punishments for indiscretions?
    Obviously. (yes)

10) Do you feel that all mods/admins should publically comment on issues in the Communications forum on a regular basis?
    Only the competent ones. (no/yes)
  11. Gay-LenKenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I think the admins who were trolls, frequently banned for flaming, or sexually harassing minor female JC members shouldn't have been made mods in the first place. Until there are more respectable people in positions of authority, I don't really care to offer much in the way of respect.

*shrug* I don't really care if they care about the JC or not.
  12. Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling

star 5
    Just a couple of questions that only require a yes/no answer. It's non binding of course but would serve to give an indication of how people feel.

Some of them. Not all of them. Some of them are very in touch.

Again, some of them. I don't really appreciate the ones who don't show up for 2 months straight.

No. But maybe we should up the number of mods per boards. Especially high traffic or high controvercy boards like Ep. 3 spoilers, JCC, and Senate.

No.

No.

No. I think they should be allowed to express their opinions like everyone else. And I don't think anyone should feel intimidated by their mod status. As long as they don't use their status to try to force people into aquiescing to their position, I have no problem with it.

I have no idea what they talk about there, so I don' tknow.

Some of them. But they tend to get griped about and demoted. Sometimes this takes longer than necessary I think, but it usually happens one way or another.

9) Do you feel that mods/admins should be held to a stricter code than normal members, including harsher punishments for indiscretions?

Definitely. They are supposed to be the role models.

10) Do you feel that all mods/admins should publically comment on issues in the Communications forum on a regular basis?

Huh?

13. LumpyMaiden Jedi Knight

star 3
    i'm going to have to disagree that they can simply be answered with a yes/no, so i'll answer them as i see fit.

Some are, some aren't. I think that those who get quickly nominated tend to be more often, because they've had less time as a regular poster, and those who have been a mod for a long time tend to be, since it's been so long since they've been a regular poster. (no-ish)

Some are, some aren't. But going along with the question above, just because someone is out of touch with the regular posters, doesn't mean they're not a good mod, or not doing a good job. A lot of the ones that have lost touch because of length of time as a moderator are still doing a pretty decent job moderating. (yes-ish)

Not replacing all of them, but some of them would be good. (no-ish)

The current administration as a whole? no

I don't think that 6 months is really long enough, and I wouldn't want to see the moderators constantly changing. What might be nice, however, is an evaluation of all the mods every 6 months, and from the information gathered from that it could be determined whether or not they will continue or perhaps take a leave of absence for a few months. (no-ish)

I think that issues that affect the boards as a whole should be public. (no)

I don't think that threads concerning specific users should be public, and that should be along with board security in private threads. And, we have to realize that as long as there are private threads (which there would be, for threads concerning board security and specific users) the mods can (and probably will) post other threads in there, even if the general population would think they should be public. (yes-ish)

no

yes

yes... they should participate in communications discussions as much as they participate in mod squad discussions.
  14. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    1) Are the mods/admins out of touch with the concerns of the regular posters? No.
    Yes
    No
    No
    No-ish. Maybe a rotating slot for one or two mods that would change every certain ammount of time, but not change the current group of mods.
    Yes-ish. If its a matter of public policy, then it should be brought to the AC, and mentioned in Comms before becoming a law though. Regular users should not be informed of problems with users though, hence the yes.

No! If the mods want our opinion on something, they can post in Comms.

No.

Big yes on this one.

Yes!
  15. Corran_Horn_ Jedi Master

star 4

Nope.

Yes with some very few exceptions.

Heck no.

No.

Again, heck no.

Some issues HAVE to be debated in private. Its the way it is.

No.

Nope, with some very rare exceptions.

Yes.

Yes.
  16. EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling

star 4
    oh, this poll looks interesting. I'll give it a shot...

Yes and no. That is why we have the AC. ( or will have for a tiny bit longer if what I hear is correct )

Yes and no. Some do wonderful work here, others seem to do nothing more than change their colors on an hourly basis..

I'm not sure a shakeup, per se, is what is needed, however, new blood never hurt.

I abstain, respectfully.

I feel that new mods should be subjected to a review policy after a certain time by both the mods, and the regular users, after which a decision would be made as to whether to keep this mod.

that really depends on the issue. If it affects all users, then the users as a whole shoud be consulted. Oh, right, that's what the AC is for. I keep forgetting.

Not needed. anyone who wants infor from the modsquad bad enough is bound to get it

I have seen this happen on a few occasions

yes.

I feel that yes, it should be required of the mods and admins to regularly read and at times post in that forum, to get an idea of the issues affecting the JC as a whole...
  17. citizen-tom Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Some are, I think the majority is not.

Not as a whole, like I said, some mods are ALOT better than others

Yes, I like the idea two spaces below actually.

No, I wouldn't cast the vote, but I wouldn't vote against it.

Brilliant Idea, actually. I think Administrators need to stay but rotating mod spots would be a very good idea

No.

NO. (but I would like it... :p)

weLl i'M thinking some Mods may....

yup

YES.
  18. BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I must have had a brain fart or something. I meant to answer No to #1.

EDIT: It's a repeating brain fart! :eek:
  19. Kyle Katarn Chosen One

star 6
    I'm just answering this as I see it. I haven't read any of the prior posts in this thread and I really don't plan on doing so unless I see reason to do so otherwise.

Not all of them, but a good number do seem out of touch with our concerns. If I have a problem, I don't want to be told "PM an admin about this", I would like a public answer, not someone trying to sweep my concerns under the rug.

Some are and others aren't. Very few seem to do a good job of "leading" whereas a majority of them just seem to be enjoying the pretty colors and ban powers.

Certainly wouldn't hurt, IMO. Sometimes you can't just patch something over multiple times and expect it to work like it did on day one. Sometimes you may just need to replace all or part of what's causing the problem.

I couldn't make one giant vote to cover the whole administration, as there are people who I DO feel are doing their jobs as being in charge of this place. If I were asked to decide on this, it would have to be on an individual basis.

No. It would quickly turn into a popularity contest and not reflect the best interests of JCN. However, I'm not too fond of admins having a virtual tenure over their position, when sometimes they haven't logged in here for months.

Yes and no. Some stuff obviously has to be kept under wraps, but I do feel that open discussion and debate involving everyone would be beneficial for all parties involved in whatever the issue at hand is.

Perhaps, there would need to be a clear line drawn which would state what kind of topics would and wouldn't be seen publically. Rules such as this would need to be followed closely so nobody can pervert them for their own purposes.

Some do, but not too often. However, those who do, should simply be removed of their authority.

Yes. They're in a prominent position here, they should be held to a higher standard.

YES. If there is anything that pisses me off more here, it's that those in charge here don't seem to interact with those they are in charge of. What's the point of having a forum named "Communications" if you're just going to be told to send a PM to someone??
  20. farraday Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I'd first like to register my opinion that anyone answering yes to number five is thinking about removing the mods they don't like and who they think do a poor job. I'd also like to point out that it also would mean removing the ones you do like and who do a good job and possibly replacing them with people you dislike or who don't do as good a job.

Anyone can moderate, but not everyone can moderate well.

No. Are they out of touch with what you and your friends want? Very possibly. Do they sometimes forget that enforcing the rules is harder then making them? Yes.

I was unaware you wanted to be led. Now if you want somebody you're willing to follow, than I suggest you do more then wait for them to show up and take your hand.

I'm in favour of shaking up the mods and admins, kick them out of their rut, but not kick them out. Replacing the mods and admins wholesale will lead to the shaking up of the boards, and I don't think you'd like the fruits of that particular labour.

No confidence in what? That they're trying to do what?s best for the boards or that what they're doing is the best for the boards? In any case it's far to broad, I wouldn't say yes even if I didn't know we have our own little Palpatines waiting in the wings.

This idea makes me laugh. I would like to subscribe to your comedy club.

No. Debate in the Mod Squad should be private, but the mods should debate with users in Comm.

Since the modsquad being made public is all or nothing would this mean that a new private board would be made for special threads? With your suspicious mind I'm sure you'll manage to come up with a few problems with that.

Sometimes. I myself banned a few friends for a few seconds on personal whim. If the whim is destructive certainly there should be repercussions.

Yes and No. I feel the line in the sand should be the same but the punishment for crossing it should be greater.

10) Do you feel that all mods/admins should publicly comment on issues in the Communications forum on a regular basis?
    Don't be silly. I don't see why Bacabachaui has to step in to discuss some problem with Misc if he only deals with CCG. Also, unless you're going to insist every poster give their opinions on a subject, I don't see why you should force a mod to try and think up something to say on an issue he or she may not give a damn about. That being said, if the issue affects their forum or their moderating then it is in their best interest to post.

Nothing else?

You know what the hardest part of being a mod is? Not being able to respond to the stupid **** like you want to because you're supposed to be respectable.

I think Han would agree.
  21. GriffZ Manager Emeritus

star 6

You know what the hardest part of being a mod is? Not being able to respond to the stupid **** like you want to because you're supposed to be respectable.
    Haha. Too true.

[face_plain]

22. EmpressPalpatine Jedi Youngling

star 4

I think Han would agree.

so would LMM, but that's another story entirely...
  23. Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus

star 6
    *Sigh*, I told myself I wouldnt get involved with this stuff again...but here goes...

Firstly, I wont answer yes/no. That is too general. If that means you dismiss my thoughts, then so be it.

I think a small number might be out of touch. I also think a lot more are willing to listen.

In my recent unhappiness with the administration, I have had a habit of lumping all members of the administration together, rather than accepting that they dont all see things the same way. I also have to recognise that my ideas arent necessarily the best ideas out there.

For all those in the administration and populace I have offended by my stance, I do humbly apologise.

Anyway, to answer your question, JAS, a few are, but I dont think that goes for the majority.

I cant really answer this....'leading' the boards really isnt descriptive.. I need to know what you mean by leading the boards.

I think some admins could go, but I wouldnt necessarily think that they all need to go. New blood is good though, but you have to make sure its good blood.

As I said in 1, most are fine. I dont think I could vote out the administration on the basis of a few.

At the same time, I think that accountability of the mods is something that is very important. The AC evaluations were a good start, although there doesnt seem to be any public recognition of these.

Not like this. Good mods should be retained.

However, I would be in favour of, after 6 months as a mod, the mod would step down for a month. In this time, the mod would get a NEW sock, and post as an anonymous new member, with no priveledges.

This would allow the mods to not get too far away from the members. Hopefully try to stop them ascending the 'Ivory Tower'.

As I have stated elsewhere, I would like the mods to discuss relevant issues with the members here in Communications. If there is a JCC thread, then the JCC mods should talk with the members in it. Ditto Games, ditto any board.

No..but I would prefer it, as said in 6 that the mods would talk to the members more so that the members dont have to just sit in the dark, or get curious about the ModSquad etc.

Overally no, most are very responsible. A few, however, can get a bit carried away on occasion.

YES. Big YES. Note that this doesnt mean that the mods cant post for fun, or have to be be serious all the time...but if they do something borderline, then they should be strongly reprimanded. If they do something wrong, they should be punished. No individual mod is so absolutely important that they just cannot be touched.

Except maybe The_Modfather...

On the issues relevant to them, yes. Otherwise, only if they choose to.

//Goes back to lurk mode...
  24. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    I will keep to the original conditions and answer yes/no, except in some questions when my answer simply cannot fall into either category.

No.

At most times, yes. However, there are moments when we are left wondering otherwise.

No.

No.

No.

No.

No.

Some do, some don't.

Yes.

Only if they wish to. Otherwise, they should not be forced to, especially if they do not actively take part in Communications issues.
  25. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    People come to Communications when they have issues and problems they wish to discuss.

People who are happy with everything don't, as a general rule, come to Communications.

Holding a poll here and gauging "Communication Regulars" opinions on board-wide matters is deeply flawed and the results, while reflecting the views of a minority of posters, are certainly not a good representation of the JC population.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.