main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Streak for Colors Part III: The Colors Awaken

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Saturday

EPL over/under: goals scored by Liverpool (vs. Burnley)- 2

2. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Saturday
    NCAA Division I football: Pick The Winner- (23) Tennessee at (24) Florida - FLORIDA

3. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    Saturday, September 16

MLB Pick The Loser: Orioles at Yankees

4. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Sunday

Bundesliga: over/under goals scored by Dortmund (vs. FC Cologne)- 3

5. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I've actually been wondering if we weren't due for a slight redesign of this game, to introduce some new elements and make it "fresh". I have some ideas for how to bring back a "daily pick" game with new elements and introduce something fresh to the game.

jcgoble3 and cubman987 like this.
  6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Yeah, I'd be down with that; was thinking over the weekend of perhaps ending the game permanently, but even with the current annoyance over the lack of communication issue, it is a nice little group we've got here. A true Arena type of place. :p

DarthIntegral, xblackout, RX_Sith, cubman987, Juliet316, Darth_Furio, I Are The Internets, jcgoble3

Welcome to any & all suggestions; whatever is decided upon/acceptable, Part IV of this game will commence later this week, etc.

Results for the 15th-17th will be posted this evening.

Juliet316 and cubman987 like this.
  7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I'd hate to lose the game all together, I enjoy it and the group we have.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  8. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  9. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    So, here's my basic thoughts. This is going to make hosting slightly more complicated, but I think it'll be a fun overall experience.

Rather than keep going on a 1 pick per day type interval, all new players get, say, 100 credits.

They can then "wager" those credits on any/all picks put up for the host. Three things you want to pick Monday? Pick all three of them. Only one on Tuesday? Pick just that one. Want to pick all fourteen on Saturday? Go for it.

When you post your pick, you post how many of your credits you are wagering on it. If you are wrong, you get that total subtracted from your balance. If you are right, you get that total added to your balance. Host maintains the right to add a multiplier of 2x or 3x for incredibly rare / unlikely outcomes that you pick or a .5 multiplier for a "duh" outcome.

For example. on Wednesday of this week, the host might offer up these as the picks:

Wednesday, September 20th:

MLB: Pick the Winner: Athletics at Tigers
    MLB: Rockies at Giants: Which Starting Pitcher Lasts Longer: Tyler Chatwood or Matt Moore
    MLB: Spiders at Angels: Will Cleveland Starter Josh Tomlin throw a Perfect game? Yes or No (Pays out .5 on a No answer, pays out 3x on a yes answer)
    Spanish Primera Division: Over/Under: Combined Score of Real Madrid vs. Real Betis: 4
    German Bundesliga: Hamburg SV vs. Borussia Dortmund: Will Christian Pulisic Score a Goal: YES or NO (Pays out 2x)
    Weird: What does Tunes order at Denny's: Pancakes and a Hamburger or The Field (Pays out .5 on the FIELD)

Then, Juliet316 could choose to play on three things. She could post:

Wednesday:

20 Credits on MLB: Spiders at Angels: Will Cleveland Starter Josh Tomlin throw a Perfect game? Yes or No (Pays out .5 on a No answer, pays out 3x on a yes answer)
    40 Credits on MLB: Pick the Winner: Athletics at Tigers
    10 Credits on Spanish Primera Division: Over/Under: Combined Score of Real Madrid vs. Real Betis: 4

Josh Tomlin hits a guy with the first pitch in the ninth inning, ending his perfect game bid. The Tigers win, and Real Madrid wins 3-1.

One the Correct answer for Josh Tomlin, Juliet gets +10, on the incorrect for the Tigers game, she gets -40, and she gets nothing for Tie.

So, if she started the day at 100 credits, she's now at 100 +10 - 40 +0 = 70.

Any time you hit zero credits, you must "pay" the host to get 100 new credits. I suggest the host gets to assign you an avatar for three days. Once you change your avatar, the 100 credits get deposited.

I'd suggest a prize of 500 Credits would be 24 hours worth of colors, with 2500 getting you a full week. You can cash in at any time with a multiple of 500, and have that subtracted from your balance. Cashing in for a reward would not reset you to zero and cause you to need to "buy" credits with your icon/avatar.

So, if Juliet had 1500 credits, she could cash in for 3 days of colors and go back to her starting position of 100 credits.
    If she had 2600 Credits, she could cash in for 1 week of credits, keep her 100 Credits, and get 100 bonus credits for cashing out as a winner.

Make sense?

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    DarthIntegral The credits/multiplier system (getting Vegas flashbacks here :p ) isn't a bad idea, one I'm intrigued by. Tinkering of what amount of credits to start with, what it takes to cash out for colors, penalties, etc, would definitely occur if this ends as the game.

Results for September 15th:

Juliet: Formula 1, Singapore Grand Prix, Pick the Winner: Lewis Hamilton or The Field?-INCORRECT
    Furio: CFL Pick The Winner: Hamilton vs. Saskatchewan-CORRECT
    Inty: International Soccer, Women's Friendly from Denver Commerce City, CO: USWNT vs. New Zealand: Will a Colorado Native score a goal in this game? YES! or No-INCORRECT
    cubman: Will Cleveland's winning streak hit 23 games? Yes or No-CORRECT
    xblackout: MLB Pick the Loser: Rangers at Angels-INCORRECT

Standings:

1) Darth_Furio: 11-2, streak of 4, longest streak= 18
    2) cubman987: 10-4-1, streak of 7, longest streak= 13
    3) Juliet316: 8-4-3, no streak, longest streak= 19
    4) DarthIntegral: 8-7, no streak, longest streak= 16
    5) RX_Sith: 3-0, streak of 19, longest streak= 27
    6) I Are The Internets: 0-5-2, no streak, longest streak= 10
    7) xblackout: 1-9-1, no streak, longest streak= 12
    8) jcgoble3: 1-0, streak of 2, longest streak= 11
    8) s65horsey: 0-0, no streak, longest streak= 8
    8) Dark Lord Of The Empire: 0-0, streak of 3 (carried over from July '16), longest streak= 9
    8) Darth McClain: 0-0, no streak , longest streak= 12
    8) mavjade: 0-0, no streak, longest streak= 5
    8) heels1785: 0-0, streak of 4 (1 carried over from October '15 & 3 from November '15), longest streak= 13
    8) TheBBP: 0-0, streak of 1 (carried over from October '15), longest streak= 6
    8) LloydChristmas: 0-0, no streak, longest streak=1

Results for September 16th:

Juliet: EPL over/under: goals scored by Liverpool (vs. Burnley)- 2-CORRECT
    Furio: MLB Pick The Loser: Orioles at Yankees-CORRECT
    Inty: EPL over/under: goals scored by Liverpool (vs. Burnley)- 2-INCORRECT
    cubman: NCAA Division I football: Pick The Winner- (23) Tennessee at (24) Florida - FLORIDA-CORRECT
    xblackout: MLB Pick The Loser: Orioles at Yankees-CORRECT

Standings:

1) Darth_Furio: 12-2, streak of 5, longest streak= 18
    2) cubman987: 11-4-1, streak of 8, longest streak= 13
    3) Juliet316: 9-4-3, streak of 1, longest streak= 19
    4) DarthIntegral: 8-8, no streak, longest streak= 16
    6) xblackout: 2-9-1, streak of 1, longest streak= 12
    7) I Are The Internets: 0-5-2, no streak, longest streak= 10
    8) Dark Lord Of The Empire: 0-0, streak of 3 (carried over from July '16), longest streak= 9
    8) heels1785: 0-0, streak of 4 (1 carried over from October '15 & 3 from November '15), longest streak= 13

Results for September 17th:

Juliet: MLB over/under: hits for Mookie Betts (Red Sox vs. Rays)- 2-CORRECT
    Furio: MLB over/under: extra inning games- 2-CORRECT
    Inty: Bundesliga: over/under goals scored by Dortmund (vs. FC Cologne)- 3-INCORRECT

Standings:

1) Darth_Furio: 13-2, streak of 6, longest streak= 18
    2) cubman987: 11-4-1, streak of 8, longest streak= 13
    3) Juliet316: 10-4-3, streak of 2, longest streak= 19
    4) DarthIntegral: 8-9, no streak, longest streak= 16
    6) xblackout: 2-9-1, streak of 1, longest streak= 12
    7) I Are The Internets: 0-5-2, no streak, longest streak= 10

Bonanza!

Juliet316

NFL Pick 'em: Green Bay at Atlanta- which starting QB has the most passing yards?- Aaron Rodgers OR Matt Ryan-CORRECT

NFL Pick The Loser: Dolphins vs. Chargers-CORRECT

NFL- The Richard Christy Bowl: Pick The Winner- Philly at Kansas City-CORRECT

Winner!

heels1785, MarcusP2

11. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
  12. cubman987

Nov 7, 2014
    I like Inty's idea.

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I like the original format (with the Bonanza's thrown in) but I also like Inty's idea as well.

14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I like the original format (with the Bonanza's thrown in) but I also like Inty's idea as well.

15. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I'm cool with the original version of the game. I'd be happy to play the game anyway you deem it DarthTunick

16. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    Maybe do a combination of both the old and the new. Have picks available for those who only want to do daily streak and credits for those who want to do credits. You have to choose one or the other for the month and cannot switch back and forth between the two during a month, but can always change from one to the other when a new month begins. So, if you want to continue accumulating credits though, then it probably would not make sense to switch back to the old format and likewise for continuing the daily streak.

But, I would still offer the option of choosing either one for the entire month. If after a few months, everyone still prefers the daily streak versus the credits version, then either decide to keep the more popular option or continue to do both no matter what volume of people like using. I would at least like to be given the option to still do the current format. But, others can switch if they prefer to do so. See what the differences are and give colors to top person in both the regular daily streak and the credits format each month to see if there is interest in one, both, or whatever else you want to throw into the format of picks and rewards for getting them right.

17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    I think trying to simultaneously, basically, host two different games, would be hell on the host. As someone who hosted the original version of Streak for Colors, it takes more time and effort than it appears. Adding in tracking bets and credits will add to that, and keeping that layered on top of, rather than replacing the existing game would be a lot to ask of a game host.

In my opinion. Good thought, RX, I just think it's got some serious lag issues.

18. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    I'm up for whatever, I just don't want to see this die :)

19. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Much appreciate the support & sentiments; I think I can mix in the credits idea with the normal game, without it being too much of hassle.

Presumably, the new version of this game goes up on Sunday. Maybe on Monday.

DarthIntegral and Juliet316 like this.
  20. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
    So, are you going to start a new thread then, or just keep this one going?

21. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    There'll be a new thread.

22. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    DarthTunick Personal question. Why the Rams and not the Chargers? Or were you a Rams fan from their first incarnation.?

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    They came back to LA first.

24. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000

Answering the second part of that first... wasn't a fan during the latter stages (given that I was born in '86) of their original tenure out here; didn't develop an interest in the NFL until around '97-'98. For the longest time, I didn't care who came here, just as long as there was a team. Then for a bit, I wished it to be the Raiders... that began to change when I started to follow the 'Bring Back The L.A. Rams' blog on Facebook, and that pushed to me into choosing the Rams.

Briefly considered becoming a Chargers fan about 7-9 years ago, but decided to wait until the NFL would have a team here; didn't think they'd leave San Diego. I'm convinced they'll eventually move back there.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  25. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Juliet316 and cubman987 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.