main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strength and Honor: Star Wars/Gladiator Fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Arwyn_Whitesun, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Flashbacca Thanks for the random drive by up. :D

Sara Thanks for the up! :)

Jedi Suzuran Thanks, Suzuran! I'll get next post up as soon as I can.

Nikita Thanks, Nikita! Welcome to the thread and I'll be updating soon!

Sabe Thanks for the up, Sabe!

Padawan Travina And thank you, PT! :D

Sabe Sounds like it was great, Sabe. :)

Spike They's a coming. As soon as I have the first Roman banquet in this fic. ;)

Wild Huntress Thanks for the up!

Thanks everyone for keeping this from falling down too far. I'll have that next post soon.

2. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Oh I can't wait for more!

:)

Maeve

3. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    another random drive-by upping :D

4. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Obis Grl Well, I just finished a post. It's not terribly long and I hope it's not crappy, but I'm determined to get something up today. :)

Flashbacca Thanks for the drive-by, FB!

As I mentioned above, I got a post done. It's a bit short, I'm afraid, but I'm working on getting back into stride. writing-wise. I don't want you guys to think I've abandoned this fic, because I haven't. :D

5. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    -------------

Maximus slowly drew in a long, deep breath of the cooling evening air. In his years as both a soldier and a general in Rome's legions, he had served in a number of climates in service to the Empire. And, as he had done then, he soon adjusted to the hot, sweltering climate of Morocco, but he always welcomed the cool evenings. It was his favorite time of the day, not only because there was some relief from the constant training and fighting, but it reminded him of his home, of the soft evenings when he, his wife and son had sat in the gardens of their villa and watched the sun go down.

At first Maximus had buried those memories deep within himself, for the grief of his family's murders had been too fresh, too new, but as the months passed at Proxmio's ludus, or gladiatorial school, and the hot, bright days were filled with nothing but blood and death, Maximus unearthed those memories, and in the quiet of his own mind when evening fell upon the desert that surrounded the school, he dwelt within those reminiscences, the heady scent of herbs and jasmine, the soft breeze rustling through the poplar, pear and apple trees of his estate, and the gentle laughter of his wife filling his thoughts.

And this evening, as Maximus received his serving of food from the kitchen and made his way to one of the benches along the wall to sit and eat, that had been his intention: to fall within the solace and the sweetness of his memories and, for a little while, escape his surroundings. But, as he walked across the compound, nodding at Haken, the large Marcomanni, and, Juba, the powerfully-built African, who sat together, talking quietly, Maximus noted the new man, the one the others called the Gaul.

He was sitting alone on one of the benches, his back against the wall. Proximo had purchased him a few days ago, along with some others, but it was him out of the rest, with his clear blue eyes and long, brown but slightly graying hair that attracted Maximus' attention. Although Proxmio had labeled him a Gaul, Maximus didn't think he was, but he wasn't sure what the man was. He had the coloring and features of one of the northern barbarian tribes, but there was something about him that felt different.

Maximus sat on a bench near to where the man was sitting, but the Gaul didn't move nor acknowledge his presence. He just continued to stare off into space, as if searching for something within the thick mud-brick walls of the compound where the ever present guards patrolled the roof, their short bows and metal-barbed arrows at the ready.

Ever since his arrival at the ludus the Gaul had kept to himself. It was apparent he didn't speak or understand Latin, or any of the languages some of the gladiators had shouted at him, thinking him a lost brother from one of their tribes. The Gaul had only shook his head, his eyes clearly expressing his bewilderment. After a while, the others had left him alone, bored by his non-responsiveness.

The Gaul had yet to been trained, as Proximo usually liked for his new acquisitions to settle in first, but Maximus knew he was scheduled for his first training session tomorrow. Recalling his first day here, he glanced over at Haken. The thick-necked Marcomanni was probably already relishing how he was going to bully the Gaul. When Maximus had refused to fight him that first day, Haken had brutally struck him across the arm. Now, he and the Marcomanni were friends, as was Juba, the tall, dark-skinned, quiet-spoken African who had nursed Maximus' arm.

As a rule, however, Maximus made it a point never to get close to any of the other gladiators, although the familia gladiatoria was, strangely enough, a close knit group, bound together by the extreme adversity of their lives. Powerful friendships found fertile ground in the world of the ludus despite the fact that the man you called friend today, tomorrow you might be required to kill.

The Gaul continued to sit and stare off into space, his broad chest rising and falling with each breath. Maximus stared at

6. Shezan

Shezan Jedi Youngling star 3

May 14, 2001
    Yayyyyy! A post!! Terrific and more, more, more, please! :D

7. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Ooh, excellent! Can't wait to start that journey! Damn Dead Ringers, took a minute to get the Gladiator spoof out of my head!

Sabe126

8. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    wonderful post. I haven't seen the movie, but I love where you are going with the crossover.

9. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    So Qui and Maxi are gonna be friends? Will Qui learn the lang? Or do they finally find one he speaks? This is a good development! Now since I like this stpry so much already... I"m hoping you're gonna post again soon? hehe no pressure!

but seriously this is great!

~*Nik*~

10. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Great post, Arwyn! :)

Hopefully, Maximus can help Qui-Gon out and get back to Obi-Wan.

11. kikeriki

kikeriki Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    Wonderful! I love your writing, Arwyn. Keep it up!

12. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    That post was wonderful Arwyn!
    Lovely Lovely Lovely!

This story is excellent so far...
    It really is!
    Maeve just can't wait for more!

:D

Maeve

13. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Marvelous post, Arwyn! Nicely written and richly descriptive within the classical Roman backdrop.

It was wonderful how Maximus overlooked the concept of not becoming close with one whom you might have to battle to the death in the arena and cordially approached the newcomer, Qui-Gon and sparked a friendship.

Like all your work, superb and highly addictive storytelling!

14. Ewanfan51

Ewanfan51 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 19, 2002
    Poor Qui he doesn't even understand the language. Doesn't remember anything. This is sad. Glad Max is going to be his friend. I am hoping Obi Wan finds him soon and is not having any real difficulty.
    Thanks and more please.

15. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    Wow! [face_shocked] Just discovered this, and can't wait to see what's gonna happen next! I have to say, its a very unique idea and has been wonderfully written! :D

16. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    Wow Arwyn...another wonderfully written Chapter..

Please take your time in writting...we as readers would rather wait forever for the next post while you got your self back into things...then to get crappy work...not that we have to worry about that from you..;)

I cant wait to read more...and I will be here when you post agian

PT

17. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Quite lovely, Arwyn. :D

Great, great post! And take your time. :)

18. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    Awesome, Arwyn!! :)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

That last line was totally intriguing, and makes me wonder just what kind of fruit this new friendship will bear...

Just BTW...

How are Qui and Maximus going to get around their language barrier?

Great work, as always, Arwyn!

:)

19. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
  20. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    Wow! Arwyn that was just superb! Every time I see an update on your one of your stories I know I am in for a treat! Really, I am just so in awe of your ability to weave such compelling tales!

21. Padawan_Travina

Padawan_Travina Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 5, 2002
    UP WE GO!!!

22. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    Another great chapter.

Great! They are becoming friends. I hope they find some way to comunicate with each other. [face_plain] I can't wait to see where this is going.

23. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
  24. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    **waves hands and intones**

Upen Sesame

:D

25. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002