main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Strength and Honor: Star Wars/Gladiator Fic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Arwyn_Whitesun, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    UP! :D More soon?

2. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Shezan Thanks, Shezan! I'll have more this weekend! :)

Sabe Thanks, Sabe!

Padawan Kitara Thanks, PK! Well, if you get a chance, check it out. It's a great movie!

Niktia Thanks, Nik! I'm planning on a new post this weekend. Have to see what Obi-Wan, I mean, Ossian, is up to as he makes his way to Rome. :)

Cascadia Thanks, Cascadia! More will be coming.

Kikeriki Thanks, Kikeriki! Glad you're enjoying it so far. More coming!

Obis Grl Thanks, Maeve!

Sugar Bear Thanks, SB! I hope to explore more of the brutal, but fascinating world of the gladiators in future posts.

Ewansfan51 Well, I do have to put our lovely Obi-Wan through his trials and tribulations. [face_mischief]

LuvEwan Hi, and welcome, and thanks! There will be more to come. Doing the research is what makes the time between posts a little longer, but I hope it will be worth it.

Padawan Travina Thanks, PT! And thanks for understanding as to why I'm not able to post every day. Yes, the job search will be taking up some of my time, and the research I need to do to write this fic, but the posts will come, I promise you that! :)

Jedi Suzuran Thanks, Jedi Suzuran!

Astroanna Thanks, AA! As for the language, that will be revealed in a future post, but they will find a way around it.

Sabe Thanks for the up!

FAB Thanks, FAB! [face_blush]

Padwan Travina Thanks for the up!!

Psycho Freak Thanks, PF! I hope it's an interesting journey. The stuff I've learned so far has been interesting, just hope my fic lives up to it. :)

Nikta Thanks for the up!

Flashbacca and Sabe Thanks, you two, for the ups!

Jedi Bounty Thanks for the up, and yes, more this weekend!

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Great set up in that post. I can't wait to see what happens next! :)

4. Nikita

Nikita Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2001
    It's a pleasure to up this for ya! I'm really excited for the weekend now!

~*Nik*~

5. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Am watching Gladiator and I can't wait to see Qui-Gon in action!

Sabe126

6. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Hi All! I'm doing some major organizing today in preparation for my new job search, so no post today, but updates will be forthcoming! :)

Sara Thanks, Sara!

Nikitia Thanks, Nikita, for the up! I'll have an update sometime Sunday. :)

Sabe I need to watch it myself, for a refresher. :)

7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Arwyn,

Just found this marvelous story the other day and just finished reading what you have. I am a friend of naw ibo, by the way.

I love the cross-over concept! I thought I was the only person who thought of doing just this very thing! Your ideas are great.

Too bad about your job situation, but I'm sure you will find something else soon enough.

Hang in there and keep writing!

Lady Sami

8. Obis-Grl

Obis-Grl Jedi Padawan star 4

May 30, 2002
    Do the upper!

DoDoDoDoDoDoDoDoDoDoDoDoDoDoDo
    NOW!

9. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Another random fly-by upping

at 110 [face_laugh]

10. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
  11. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Well, had a family emergency today so no post, but I'll have it up tomorrow for sure! Promise! :D

Lady Sami J Kenobi Hi and welcome to the thread! :) I've been wanting to write this fic for over a year, but now I'm so frustrated that when I finally start work on it and post it, a day later I'm laid off. :( But, I have not abandoned the story. Therefore, please, just bear with me. :)

Obis Grl Thanks for that rousing up, Obis Grl! :D

Flashbacca Whew!!! Going mighty fast there, FB! :D

Sabe Thanks for the up, Sabe! :)

12. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    This wookiee is feeling.....the Need for Speed

whizzes thru - throwing thread UP [face_laugh]

:D TW

**looks behind** oops, gotta go, it's the coppers..... :D

13. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    Well you know...I'm can always do a rousing....UP!

14. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Hi Arwyn,

Since my fingers are getting far too many paper cuts while I'm searching my thesaurus for more adjectives to describe how wonderful I think your work is, I'll just say...

More soon, please. :D

Hope the job search goes well - when you find something you'll have to let me know your secrets - I need to get out the temp cycle... :p

Shaindl

15. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    Flashbacca Make sure it's not Imperial coppers, FB! We know how they treat Wookies. :D

Obis Grl Thanks for another rousing up! :D

Shaindl Thanks, Shaindl! Hope the job search goes well - when you find something you'll have to let me know your secrets - I need to get out the temp cycle... Will do! Though I think I'll be doing the temp thing for awhile myself. ;)

I'm just about done with the new post so will be up shortly!

16. Arwyn_Whitesun

Jul 13, 2002
    ------------

Glancing around nervously, Glabrio squinted his eyes as he tried to see his way down the dark, twisting street. He swallowed heavily, his heart pounding. Maybe it hadn't been such a good idea to get rid of his armed guards once he'd reached Italy. But the greedy guards had demanded more money and, since the countryside was relatively safe, Glabrio had sent them packing.

But he'd neglected to consider how dangerous the streets of Rome were after dark. Lacking streetlamps, the lanes and alleyways were often pitch black. Ossian, who sat next to him, held a torch Glabrio had given him to help light their way. Glancing over at the handsome youth, he noted he too was looking around. Glabrio's slave, Cetus, as usual, was lying in the back of the wagon, pretending to be asleep, but Glabrio sensed he was wide awake and just as fearful.

Initially, when they'd entered Rome, they'd been among the hundreds of carts and wagons rumbling and clattering through the streets. During the day wheeled traffic was forbidden in Rome due to the mass number of people walking about, so it was only at night the shops, taverns and themopolii could bring in their wares. Therefore, even at night the main streets of Rome were full of bustling traffic.

But as Glabrio had gotten nearer to his home, he'd had to turn off the main streets. Now he was traveling down an empty alleyway; an alleyway in which he feared robbers were lurking to steal his goods, or sicarii to cut his throat and leave him to bleed to death in the dirty street like a slaughtered hog.

Straining his ears to hear any sound beyond the clatter of the wagon wheels over the paved streets, Glabrio closed his eyes for a moment. He prayed fervently to Mercury, the god of travelers, for him to make it home safe and sound, assuring the fleet-footed god that the next time he would not be so cheap, and he'd pay his guards whatever they wanted.

Opening his eyes, the reins slick in his sweaty hands, Glabrio peered anxiously up at the insulae that surrounded him. The ones in this alley were four to five stories high, their black windows reminding him of malevolent spirits gazing down at him. At the end of the alley, which seemed impossibly far to Glabrio, was the street that led directly to his home. Gritting his teeth, Glabrio made himself focus on the end of the alleyway. Not much further, he muttered. Not much further.

As the wagon rumbled down the street, Glabrio was jerked out of his muttering by a flash of movement on his right. He looked over to where Ossian was sitting, but the youth was no longer next to him. His mouth dropping open, Glabrio was horrified to see three dark shapes swarming about his wagon. One of them tried to grab the reins from his hands and, as he did, Cetus, who was behind Glabrio in the back of the wagon, shrieked like a young girl.

Glabrio howled as he tried to fight off the attacker. Robbers! Or worse. Then the blood froze in his veins when he saw the glint of a dagger in the hand of the man trying to snatch the reins from him. Glabrio could almost feel the sharp blade sinking into his flesh, the blood spurting from his body. He howled again as he, foolishly he now realized, held desperately onto the reins, trying his best to back away from the dagger.

The man's heavy browed face scowled up at Glabrio as he tried to stab at him but then, suddenly, the robber flew backwards, landing against the wall of one of the insuale, his head cracking against the stone. Glabrio then stared in amazement as he saw Ossian, who was using the torch he held like a weapon, take on the other two robbers. The youth, twirling and jumping, managed to subdue both of the men who, like the one who'd attacked Glabrio, were both armed with daggers. It was over before Glabrio could even draw another breath, with all three robbers lying motionless on the street.

Noting someone breathing harshly next to him, Glabrio jumped and screamed, thinking it was another robber. But it was only Cetus, who was leaning over Glabrio's sh

17. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    "Not only would he be an asset in his spice shop, bringing in all the ladies of Rome with that handsome, boyish face of his, but he would make a fine bodyguard for Glabrio too..."

Yep, that's our Obi-Wan!!

:D

Lovely description and visuals, Arwyn, and I'm very anxious to see when/if/how Obi and Qui meet up!!

:)

18. Jedi_Suzuran

Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Knight star 5

May 22, 2002
    Ooh, excellent post. I do love your descriptions, Arwyn. :D

Wonderful! [face_love] [face_love]

19. Wild_Huntress

Wild_Huntress Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 15, 2002
    Yay! Wonderful job Arwyn! Lovely post!

20. Cascadia

Cascadia Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 15, 2002
    Wonderful! Now why do I get the feeling Obi-Wan will finally meet Qui-Gon again when he accompanies Glabrio to the Coliseum? ;)

You said you've been researching ancient Rome for this. I was wondering if wheeled traffic was really forbidden during the day, or if this was something you made up for the story. :)

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was just excellent Arwyn! :)

22. Sugar_Bear

Sugar_Bear Jedi Master star 3

Dec 14, 2001

Wonderfully atmospheric post, Arwyn! Eerily capturing the presence of potential danger in a hostile environment along with admirable attention to historic detail.

A marvelous display of grace and alacrity used by Ossian in dispatching the trio of criminal riff raff.

It's wise for Glabrio to want to keep the attractive wandering Jedi in his company, but then any person in their right mind would want to.

23. Obis-Grl

May 30, 2002
    Glabrio nodded happily to himself as he drove the wagon up to his home. His best wine, he decided, not his second-best, would be served at dinner when he made his proposition to Ossian.

Darn right Obi deserves the best of the best! He's a treasure buddy...my treasure!

Another excellent chapter Arwyn! This gem of a story is quickly becoming one of my favorites!

Oh and Arwyn, is Commodus going to be making an appearance soon? Now I know he was a real creep in the movie...but Joaquin Phoenix (the actor who played Commodus) is still really hot...

:D

Maeve

24. kikeriki

kikeriki Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 23, 2002
    Lovely! Wonderful description of our Obi, who is, as we all know, definitely the most skilled fighter anyone could find... :)

25. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    Arwyn, loved the whole set up. I felt like I was on that street with them. A most wonderful display of prowess by our "Ossian" as well. :) I do wonder what his reaction to seeing Qui-Gon will be, as it seems most likely to be in the Coliseum, with Obi-Wan as a spectator and Qui-Gon as one of the combatants. Poor Qui-Gon without a memory and poor Obi-Wan at finding him in such a place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.