main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Strengths of ROTS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Darth__Lobot, Jan 8, 2016.

1. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Strengths of ROTS? ALL OF IT. =D=

The emotion, the drama, the visuals, beautifully complex performances from Hayden, Ewan and Natalie. Yea, all of it.

2. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    [​IMG]

CT1138 likes this.
  3. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    This is my favorite scene not involving a lightsaber duel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

4. mikeximus

mikeximus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2012
    ROTS is right up there as my favorite of the 6 Lucas films! I love the opera scene! Palpatine's sliminess is in full display here! How he tries to blur the lines between Jedi and Sith, and when Anakin refuses that train of thought, Palpatine switches gears to a more emotional and personal way to get to Anakin.

The music to is just awesome!

Than there's Mustafar... My favorite planet of the Saga! Not just because of the environment itself, but because of its symbolism, and it's lore within the Star Wars universe!

5. Conkhead_12

Conkhead_12 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 28, 2016
    Right now I cannot decide which SW I liked the best, between TESB and RoTS.
    TESB got No I'm your father while RoTS got a lot of elements which I like.

Anakin&Obi-Wan VS Dooku is starting to become my favortie duel.

ROTS is the movie that is the big changing point in galactic history so there's a lot going around, a lot of elements. It feels like the story is moving and not repetitive.
    Also the opening scene VFX 'nuff said.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  6. David C

David C Jedi Youngling

Sep 6, 2016
    I know that the duels at the end of the film are referenced a lot, but I find the shot of Yoda and Palpatine squaring off as they rise into the senate chamber to be especially moving. I think this is the perfect intersection of the brilliance of Lucas and John Williams. The vastness of the chamber subtly drives home the stakes here as it represents the entire galaxy hingeing on Yoda and Obi-Wan's last-ditch efforts, while the music greatly enhances the epic scope of the battle. Just knowing how futile their efforts will ultimately be makes it all the more tragic, and seeing Yoda's desperation in vain almost brings a tear to my eye.

I love almost every aspect of this film, but this moment in particular has always appealed to me.

7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I find it more than a bit odd to reference one of the many, many rather awesome scenes HC played in the movies.

8. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    He was way better in ROTS, but how can you say his was the best performance in the films?

Granted it was a difficult role, but he butchers a few of the intonations on his deliveries in the scene where Obi-Wan confronts him for the first time on Mustafar.
    I actually really like the prior moments where Padme realises he has fallen, just the right similarity to the pre-turn Anakin while at the same time totally selling that everything has changed. Props to Hayden on selling that.

But "You brought him here to kill mee-ee" for example sounds quite awful.

Darth Formidious likes this.
  9. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    You're incorrect. I referenced Obi Wan Kenobi, who was played adequately. HC does not feature in that GIF.

10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    The scope of the film is incredible. It's truly a space opera epic in every sense of the word. Has some of the best character development in any of the SW films and contains by far, the best action sequences in any of the films. The planets are gorgeous and exotic. The Anakin Vs Obi-Wan duel takes lightsaber fights to the maximum they can be. I don't think there can be a duel a this point that will top it. The great thing about this film too is it is 2 eras in one movie. The first half is The Clone Wars/ Prequel Era we know and by the end, we are in a completely different film with Vader and Palps on a Star Destroyer watching the Death Star and Obi-Wan in exile. Alps some of the best scenes comes from Padme's Ruminations, the ending of course and the first 30 minutes feels like a Clone Wars serial. It's truly an amazing movie.

11. MarcJordan

MarcJordan Force Ghost star 4

Nov 17, 2014
    My absolute favourite SW scene. It's got Academy Award (R) calibre and I believe that wholeheartedly. Especially from :"Even the nature of the Dark Side". My knees buckle and I shudder in the way Ian McDiarmid delivers it. He says it like he actually OWNS the Darkside as his full being. Haven't been so shaken by the intensity since... let's say The God Father. "And you will be able to save your wife, from CERTAIN DEATH". ( I see it as Palpatine betting his own life there that Anakin will grab it!). And Palpatine even senses it, "are you going to kill me". Listen carefully to the violins during those lines. And then the climax "I know you would, I can FEEL your ANGER, it gives you FOCUS...makes you STRONGER!" Majestic! Treacherous, Astounding, and IMPLICITELY DEVIOUS!

MJ

Eternal_Jedi, JEDI-RISING and Nanaki like this.
  12. Nanaki

Nanaki Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 5, 2016
    To me, I think it shows you how conflicted Anakin really is.

Do I kill him and end the Sith right then and there? Finish the prophecy the Jedi Masters speak of? Do I take his offer to obtain the power to save my wife? Is the Jedi Council going to take kindly to me killing him? Do I snitch on him to the Council? What are the consequences of each option? This man lied to me for all these years...but he treated me like a son when the going got tough, and has the power to save my wife...but he's my sworn enemy.

I think those were the thoughts in his head when Palpatine showed his true colors.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

13. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014

That's spot on. Some of what you've said I didn't think of in particular "Is the Jedi Council going to take kindly to me killing him?" Good work!

MJ

HevyDevy and Nanaki like this.
  14. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005

i think that was actually Hayden trying to take on that flat Vader tone, and also put emotion into it. i think that was true of several of the lines in his two movies that people think was bad acting. Same thing when he says " You will not take her from me." real flat tone.

Eternal_Jedi and SuperPersch like this.
  15. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    It's funny because I was surprised to see that line ("You brought him here to kill me!") cited. I really like it but when I thought about it, I can see how it can run people the wrong way. The Vader-cadence (the Vadence?) is a little challenging at times, but I really dig it.

I always liked how he said "Because of Obiwan?" in the Mustafar scene for some reason. I used to say it all the time when I was younger.

Well I would quote that whole scene because it's my favorite in all of Star Wars...actually..

edit: for an attempt at clarity

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

HevyDevy, Deliveranze and Darthman92 like this.
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I always loved their lines. "YOU WILL NOT TAKE HER FROM ME!!" to me sounds menacing and not flat at all imo. I also love the way he says "Don't lecture me Obi-Wan. I see through the lies of the Jedi." You can tell he's done listening to Obi-Wan and I think the delivery was actually A1 there.

MarcJordan and SuperPersch like this.
  17. MarcJordan

Nov 17, 2014
    To me, this is a part deux of the Palpatine reveal scene. He's bought what Palpatine was selling. At the same time, 3 years before, Anakin told Obi Wan "Not another lecture".

MJ

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I like about this moment that when Palpatine states (your anger) "gives you focus! Makes you stronger!" Anakin doesn't necessarily disagree, it had been proven true in his duel with Dooku, where with Dooku's prompt he focused his anger and quickly defeated him. He switches off his lightsaber and sternly states "I'm going to turn you over to the Jedi Council" - his Masters - similarly to perhaps slightly hesitantly turning Luke over to the Emperor in ROTJ. The conflict in him here is obviously bubbling beneath the surface.

I know where you are coming from, but to me Hayden sells the visual aspect of the scene better than some of his vocal deliveries. I agree on "You will not take her from me!", it is demanding, dominant. Much like Vader.
    Just my personal opinion, but the line I mentioned seems a little less masterful. He doesn't have the right level of intensity, it seems like kind of he is asking a question rather than stating a truly believed fact.

I love that moment. It looks like he is thinking out loud, but at the same time his clouding by the dark side has already answered the question for him. Like "Because of Obi-Wan? ... but no matter what you say that is what I'm going to think anyway."

I really enjoy Padme's confrontation with Anakin on Mustafar, before Obi-Wan appears. His sort of sad look down when Padme recounts Obi-Wan's claims Anakin has turned, he knows it is totally true but it is the choice he has made. Then the smile at Padme's "naivety" that Obi-Wan, a simple Jedi, could offer anything that could actually help them.
    And a kind of delusional glint in his eye when he "reassures" Padme he has fixed the problem with his own will and strength, totally not seeing what it is costing them.

It hits home where Anakin was lost and Vader is coming close to truly being fully created.

SuperPersch and MarcJordan like this.
  19. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    ROTS is not without its flaws, but of all the Star Wars films, it's the one I think about the most.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  20. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    I'm going to be honest, Ian really rubbed off on Hayden in that scene. He truly seemed confused, angry, frightened and perplexed yet...tempted and intrigued at the same time. I often think he emotes more in these movies without dialogue.

Nanaki likes this.
  21. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    I may of said this before but this movie was 99% Binks free. I'll say that was a strength.

Nanaki likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    The entire movie

23. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    I absolutely love ROTS it was the first SW movie I saw in theatres in the 2nd grade I absolutely adored it. The score, the story, the emotion everything!

Deliveranze likes this.
  24. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    All of it.

It is my favorite film in the saga by a mile.:D

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    One of ROTS biggest selling points is it's amazing music