main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

So CO Strike Force Bowling!!!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Zoom_Cthooga, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Zoom_Cthooga

Zoom_Cthooga Jedi Master star 6

Jun 30, 2004
    Alrightie suckaz -- I'm sure you've all seen the bowling news.

You can check out the licensed balls right here.

And I just checked the Strike Force bowling web site, and low and behold, Sunset Bowling on Prairie Blvd on the southside will be participating! :D

2. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Ummmm...

I just called. You don't get *ANY* benefits until you've bowled something like 3/4 of the season. The league season here is 16 weeks -- so that's 12 weeks of bowling, at $10.95 a week, just to get your ball. Season length and weekly fees will probably vary across different alleys. You must bowl at the designated league times for your game to count -- you can't just go out and play whenever you feel like it. They're asking a solid 3-4 month commitment.

That, and the lady didn't think any of the balls or gear came in anything other than kid sizes. The pro shop was still closed when I called, so I'll call back later. When I got my Mystery Men skull ball, it was $160 -- I'd expect the balls will be around that much, too.

Oh, and the only league times available in P-town were Sunday 11am or 7pm, or Monday 7pm. [face_plain]

Ummm...really not sure...what to think of this now. 3-4 months of non-stop bowling just to get a sweet looking ball? Erm.

3. Jedi_Knight_Birr

Jedi_Knight_Birr Retired RSA star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2002
    I think it would be fun to do. i was really excited when they first announced it. i want to do it.

4. Kaety

Kaety Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I guess they finally figured out what I was asking them about a few months ago. They told me that they had never heard of the Star Wars stuff...

The only places I could find in CO were in Denver. So Yeah that it's local! and Bummer that it is such a commitment - there is no way we could commit to that much time. :_|

5. Imperial_Birrer

Imperial_Birrer Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2003
    o_O interesting

6. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I think it'd be fun, too, but the time restrictions on bowling are teh suck. Me having ANY amount of time available during prime hours is practically impossible. [face_plain] I imagine if I religiously watched football on Sunday or Monday, this would fit perfectly into my schedule, but...alas...I'm not much of a football person.

BUT, just called the pro shop, and you CAN order the balls without being in a league. Balls are $139.99 + tax and go up to size 15. I think the only thing for the league play is that you get the ball for "free."

SWEET.

7. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    That's great that I can just buy the ball - which is what I want. I DO NOT NEED IT - but i want it... :D

8. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    I want the storm trooper/death star ball.

9. Darth_Nast_T

Darth_Nast_T Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 8, 2005
    Sorry Kaety, the HOUSE is a bowling ball free zone...[face_shame_on_you]

10. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    Then why do we have a short grumpy calico fuzzy bowling ball with legs in our house?

11. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    Maybe I should mention that it's a ball with 2 Star Wars scenes on it, and a handful of variations? :D

12. Darth_Nast_T

Apr 8, 2005
    I think I'd prefer a starwars guitar... Fernandes used to sell a cool Darth Vader strat!

13. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    There is a slight $$$ diference between the $130 bowling ball and the $1300 guitar...;)

I went to about 15 yard sales with my Mom on Sat. and I started counting the bowling balls and golf sets I saw. The total was 11 bowling balls and 10 golf sets with clubs and bags and two more on those rolling carts... I was a little bored...

14. Darth_Nast_T

Apr 8, 2005
    Ahh... yes, but you fail to consider the entire life-cycle cost of the StarWars guitar vs. StarWars bowling ball...

The StarWars guitar has a high initial cost, but that's about it (except for maybe new strings every year or two @ 4$). Then you have a neet-o guitar that is fun to play any time. So lets say 4 hours of fun a week (~200 hours/year) at a continued cost of 4$/year. Over 20 years, thats 4000 hours of fun at the cost of the guitar ($1200) plus string cost ($80 over 20 years) for a total of $1280... The cost of fun is on the order of 32 cents per hour. Not bad at all... even less than the cost of fun for renting new releases.

Bowling balls on the other hand, while having an lower initial cost have a much higher fun cost associated with it. Zoom quoted $10/game in an earlier thread... so if I assume that a game (10 frames) takes 2 hours (I think I'm being generous here) then the the cost of 4 hours of fun/per week with the bowling ball is $20/week or about $1000 per year. Over twenty years, thats 4000 hours of fun at the cost of the bowling ball ($120) plus cost of bowling ($20000) for a total of $20,120. So the cost of fun for the bowling ball is about $5.03 per hour!

Clearly, the Star Wars guitar is the better value. [face_mischief]

15. Bloodclaw65

Bloodclaw65 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 3, 2004
  16. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    It just proves why D_N_T scored so high on the Nerd category!!!:rolleyes:

17. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    D_N_T is golfing today...maybe I should calculate the costs of GOLF vs. bowling...[face_money_eyes]

18. Zoom_Cthooga

Jun 30, 2004
    I opted out cuz I was feeling like crap, and had a lot of work to catch up on from taking Wednesday off. I did actually manage to get caught up, though.

I think golf would rank a bit higher than bowling. Initial startup cost is higher, each game costs more, and then you start wanting to get the new space-age all-titanium forged-in-zero-g computer controlled carbon fiber whatchamallits that they keep coming out with.

At least a bowling would be neat to display. I could pick up one (1...that's right...just 1) Nike ONE Black On Black golf ball for about the cost of a Star Wars bowling ball, but displaying a little black golf ball wouldn't be nearly as cool as a bowling ball with the Death Star on it. :D

19. Kaety

Jan 30, 2005
    I agree!

And I do have to conceed to my darling Darth Nast-T that the Star Wars guitars are really cool! And I think our wall could use just one more guitar...don't ya'll think so?:eek: