main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Strokes of Colored Grey (Qui/Obi AU) Updated 4/3

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jedi-Gon, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi-Gon

Jedi-Gon Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2007
    Well, this is the first story I've ever posted on here! I've posted several on fanfiction.net, and a few other sites, but never here. And, for a quick intro to my fic, I write exclusively (thus far) pre-saga fics, focusing around Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. I do my best to keep grammar/spelling in check, but do not have a constant beta-reader, so feedback in that area is always helpful! I also love to know what people think about my work. :D I hope y'all enjoy!

Strokes of Colored Grey
    Author: Jedi-Gon
    Timeframe: JA, Obi-Wan is fourteen
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, OCs
    Genre: Drama, Mush, a touch of Angst
    Summary: Obi-Wan is an artist... And Qui-Gon didn't know, until now.
    Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to GL

------
    Obi-Wan bit his lip, glancing at the door. He prayed his master wouldn?t choose to walk in right now. Force, not now! Stone still, he held his breath as he ?watched? his master?s movements through the door. To his relief, Qui-Gon filed past his room casually, and walked into his own. Obi-Wan?s shoulders relaxed as he let out his breath. He then silently turned his attention back to the pad of paper situated on his desk. Pencils of varying shades of grey and black littered his work area, eraser fragments covering the dark wooden surface like confetti.

Obi-Wan bit his lip harder as he thought what might have happened if Qui-Gon had chosen to come in at that particular moment. What would his master have done? Would Obi-Wan somehow have been able to hide it all from sight? Would Qui-Gon notice? If he did notice, what would he say? By the force, what would Qui-Gon do when he learned that his apprentice?s sleepless nights were spent mulling over paper and pencil?

Obi-Wan sighed, gripping the pencil in his hand harder. Ever since he was a young child, he needed some vent for creativity. Some vent for his feelings and emotions. Yes, he knew he was supposed to release them into the force, but sometimes? Sometimes he just couldn?t. Either the emotion was too strong, or it was? Pleasant. Sometimes he just couldn?t let it go.

Obi-Wan had been drawing for years, now. His work had noticeably improved over the past years, even though he was the only one to see it. He spent hours of his free time cooped up in his room with a pencil and paper, mainly when Qui-Gon was away at a council meeting, or something of the sort. He had only told one person in the entire temple about his art, and that person, he was sure, would never deliberately tell anyone else.

Now, just over fourteen years of age, he sat, venting out his emotions and feelings on a piece of paper. This particular piece had been in the works for quite some time now ? it was the first piece he started after Melida/Daan, and he was determined to make this his best piece. He had spent month in and month out sketching, shading, erasing, and redoing soft strokes of gray, and he was finally ready for the finishing touches.

His probation had ended just a few days ago. Qui-Gon had accepted him as his apprentice again, much to Obi-Wan?s utter joy and relief. But he was still a bit unsure of how to rebuild the relationship between he and his master. Really, there wasn?t one to begin with. He had no remaining pieces of a bond, and he didn?t have the slightest idea of how to start one. He adored Qui-Gon, yes, he admired, he respected and honored him, he loved him, even, but Qui-Gon didn?t seem to notice. Trying to get this message through to his master was like trying to get through locked door without a key. He had knocked kindly, to no avail. He had tried picking the lock ? that didn?t work. He had tried subtly persuading the occupant inside to unlock the door ? that didn?t work either. He had nearly reached the point of pounding the door down, but he knew that he would cross a forbidden barrier, then. So he kept his distance respectively. But inside, his longing for the closeness of a father and son was still smoldering away inside. He glanced down at the sketch that was nearly done. He gulped. It was a sketch that he prayed Qui-Gon would never f

2. Bastet

Bastet Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 30, 1999
    Ooh, I'm loving this! [face_love]

He adored Qui-Gon, yes, he admired, he respected and honored him, he loved him, even, but Qui-Gon didn?t seem to notice. Trying to get this message through to his master was like trying to get through locked door without a key. He had knocked kindly, to no avail. He had tried picking the lock ? that didn?t work. He had tried subtly persuading the occupant inside to unlock the door ? that didn?t work either. He had nearly reached the point of pounding the door down, but he knew that he would cross a forbidden barrier, then. So he kept his distance respectively. But inside, his longing for the closeness of a father and son was still smoldering away inside. Love the imagery here! [face_love] I hope Obi gets his wish! :(

I love the idea of Obi-Wan being an artist. [face_love] I hope Qui-Gon will let him continue drawing, now that the truth is out. [face_worried]

Welcome to the forum, Jedi-Gon! [:D] I hope you like it here, because I really want more of this story! Could you please PM me when you post again? [face_praying] :D

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Aaaaaawwwwwwww. Obi-Wan's hidden talents. And Qui-Gon never knew, too. But he shouldn't be hiding it! No wonder he doesn't feel the bond between them if he's hiding something so important to him. I hope they come together on this. That would be a very good moment for them both. :)

4. Jedi-Gon

Nov 1, 2007
    Thanks! Glad you like it, Bastet! I'm actually not really new to the forums... I am probably one of the worst lurkers around... Anyway, I'll be sure to message you!

Glad to see I got an 'Aw' out of someone, too. :D Always rewarding to a writer who adores fluff. Thanks, ardavenport!

5. slow_dawn

slow_dawn Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2006
    Qui-Gon tilted his head ever so slightly. Colored grey. It was a strange concept that sounded completely ridiculous, but, here it was, staring him in the face.

I loved this bit. Obi-Wan as an artist--quite interesting. Can you put me on the PM list, please?

6. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 1, 2005
    This is lovely. Would you mind adding me to the PM list? :)

7. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    Vianro would have smacked his ignorant, long-haired head, had she not been taught propriety. [face_laugh]

He might need smacking.

Very interesting and unique. Good job.

8. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How wonderful - and I'll give you an "aw" as well. Poor Obi - such a blind master. Poor Qui - such a blind master.

PM list, too, please.

9. JediKaren

JediKaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 26, 2007
    seeing how I'm an artist myself, I can totally understand this obi wan.

10. Blue_Lightsaber42

Blue_Lightsaber42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2007
    [face_love] I love this, it's so well written, I can't wait to see what happens next.:D
    =D= =D= =D=
    And add me to the PM list please?[face_batting]

11. Jedi-Gon

Nov 1, 2007
    Wow! Thanks, everyone, and glad y'all are enjoying it!

-------------

With a light-heated mood, Obi-Wan practially skipped into his quarters. This, of all days, was a good day. His classes had gone well, his grades were high, he was feeling great, and, he had a visit with a friend to look forward to.

But as he stepped foot into the small apartment, his smile faded slightly. Qui-Gon, his master, was seated on one of the armchairs in the living area, a troubled look on his face. Obi-Wan greeted him as he passed to his room, but Qui-Gon didn?t answer, but instead looked at Obi-Wan, long and hard, as if he were suspicious. Confused, and not wanting to bother Qui-Gon, who was obviously deep in thought, Obi-Wan quietly passed by and into his bed room. He didn?t know what was bothering his master, but he wouldn?t let that bring him down.

After shutting his door, he opened up the drawer to his desk. He then pulled out a thick, slightly messy folder. He leafed through the contents until he came to a page-protected sketch. He quickly pulled it out, checking the wall-chrono as he did so. A smile spread across his face as he looked over the piece of paper in his hands. He then slipped it into his robe, and left, unaware that he had left his folder laying open on his desk.

Qui-Gon barely noticed as his apprentice walked back out of their quarters without explanation. He had other things to think about. The drawing that he had seen earlier that day still captivated his mind. He was still trying to figure out whether he believed it or not. Did Obi-Wan really draw that? Why didn?t he let Qui-Gon know? Where in the name of the Force did his padawan learn how to draw so well? As questions flew through his head, the sound of beeping filled his ears. In a very uncharacteristic, startled way, Qui-Gon looked over to Obi-Wan?s door, where the sound was coming from.

As he stepped into the doorway, his head nearly became part in a miniature speeder crash, as one of one of Obi-Wan?s flying ship models whizzed passed his eyebrows, a hair of space to spare.

Now more cautious to where he placed his head, Qui-Gon stepped lightly over to the bedside table, where a beeping comlink sat. The Master smiled fondly as he rolled his eyes, despite his mood. Why did that boy always forget his comm? After checking to see who was calling, Qui-Gon turned the small silver object off and laid it back down. Just as he was about to leave the room, something caught his eye.

On the desk, lay an open folder, different sized articles of paper falling out this way and that. The presence of a folder in a hard-working padawan?s room didn?t surprise him, but what did surprise him was what the contents of the folder was.

In all shades of grey and black, were drawings.

---------------

With a happy smirk on his face, Obi-Wan quietly snuck through the Jedi Archives. His right hand hovered over his left side, where his sketch was concealed under his cloak. He nodded to a few masters he was acquainted with, and said ?hello? to his padawan friends. But as he headed further and further back into the expansive rooms, the less people he saw. And, when he came to a small office door in particular, he, quietly as possible, opened the door. He dropped into a chrouch near the floor as he snuck across the room, his sharp mind bent on ambush. He took a few more hurried steps, and carefully masked his presence with the Force. His prey now in sight, Obi-Wan?s mind ticked off a countdown.

A few more steps? Closer? Closer?

?Ha!? He cried triumphantly, pouncing from his position to seize his victim around the shoulders. The rather surprised man under attack was a good four or five inches taller than Obi-Wan, but this didn?t stop him from effectively securing his shoulders in a half-tackle.

Just as triumph set in, Obi-Wan found himself thrown to the ground, with his back to the floor, an old metal letter opener pointed menacingly at his face.

?Kenobi, for the love of the Force, how many times have you been told to respect your elders?!? The man inquir

12. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Loved the update! [face_love]

I like Kin, I'm glad he's such a good friend to Obi. [face_love] (Kin-Wan and Obi-Wan, I love it! :D)

I loved the picture Qui-Gon found of himself and Obi-Wan, aww! [face_love]

He was smiling. Qui-Gon?s picture double was smiling. And not only that, but he was smiling a real smile, a smile that he hadn?t worn in over eleven years. Two tears tracked down his cheeks silently, and he once again spotted Obi-Wan?s signature near the bottom of the page. He looked back at the scene. Its realism was only out done by it?s heart-wrenching tease of what could be. But no, Qui-Gon thought. The man in that picture wasn?t him. It could never be him.

Could it?
    Yes it could, if you'd let it! :_|

So now Obi knows the truth is out! Those two need to have a long talk now, I think. Can't wait! :D

I'm looking forward to more, Jedi-Gon! Thanks for the PM! [face_love] :D

13. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh, oh, major misunderstanding getting started - duck!

What was so wonderful is that Qui himself recognizes that the Qui in the picture could be him - and isn't. He gets that, even if he resists becoming that.

14. Blue_Lightsaber42

Dec 7, 2007
    [face_mischief] Qui-Gon's going to get it...
    Great update, and thanks for the PM!
    =D= =D= =D=

15. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    I really enjoyed this update. Can't wait to see what happens next!

16. jedidas3

jedidas3 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 25, 2007
    =D= Very nice story. I can understand Obi's insecurity about his talent. I've read this on the other site, but I'm really enjoying reading it again on this site. It is so beautifully written. [face_love]

17. Jedi-Gon

Nov 1, 2007
    Here's the next chapter! So glad y'all are enjoying it!

----------------------

As Obi-Wan walked in the door, he stopped for a moment when he saw his master, and completely froze when he saw what was sitting in front of his master. His mind put the pieces of the scenario together, and his face paled several shades, the only real color left being his widened blue eyes.

Obi-Wan?s first thought was to run; to go back to Kin-Wan?s office and hide. But he found, with a bit of shock, that he couldn?t run. Not that he didn?t want to run, but that he couldn?t run. It was a physical impossibility ? his body was frozen. He didn?t dare move a single muscle. Obi-Wan wasn?t even sure if he was breathing; though he barely contemplated it. Rather, he stood, staring at the scene before him, disbelieving.

Had he looked closer, he would have seen the light blush on his master?s cheeks, and the small tears that Qui-Gon was trying to discreetly wipe away.

?M-Master?? He said in a small voice. Stiffly, and in a light-headed way, Obi-Wan stepped forward and quickly gathered up the drawings, then replaced them in the folder that sat on the desk. ?I? I didn?t expect you?? He made a noise in his throat. ?You surprised me.? Obi-Wan was still fumbling with several pages, and one fell of the side of the desk. With Jedi reflexes, Qui-Gon reached out and caught it before it fluttered to the ground. He looked at it quickly, recognizing the sketch as the great stairway of the Jedi Temple. He mentally shook his head. How could he not have known about this? Gently, he put his hand on Obi-Wan?s shoulder and turned the boy around to face him. Obi-Wan?s wide eyes were downcast, avoiding Qui-Gon?s gaze.

?Obi-Wan...? Qui-Gon started quietly. He really didn't know what he wanted to say, much less what he should say. In a way quite unbecoming of a Jedi master, he blurted out the first question that came to mind. ?How... How long have you been drawing, Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon asked, trying to make his voice as gentle as possible. He didn't need the Force to deduct that this was a touchy subject ? one that was supposed to be a secret.

Every muscle in Obi-Wan's body was as tight as a wire, and his heart hammered fiercely in his chest. For a moment, the young Jedi feared that the thumping would be audible even to Qui-Gon, with the way it was echoing in his own ears. Slowly catching up to reality, his brain processed the question Qui-Gon had thrown him. Without reassurance, though, it had not caught the quiet, careful tone in which it was spoken.

?Se-Seven years, Master.? Obi-Wan stuttered quietly. Qui-Gon's hand still rest on Obi-Wan's tense shoulder, and the teen's frightened eyes were still downcast.

Qui-Gon had to raise his eyebrows. His apprentice was a good secret-keeper, if he had been drawing for seven years. No wonder his portfolio had grown so large. Off-handedly, he wondered if Obi-Wan had any more secrets... But, he would worry about that later. Right now he needed to figure out what in the name of the Force he should say next.

?Obi-Wan...? He started, still not knowing exactly where he was going, ?Why didn't you tell me?? Qui-Gon asked, honestly and truly perplexed.

Obi-Wan gulped, and raised his pale face slightly, but not to meet his master's eyes.

?I... Thought that you would think it was... Hindering to my training, sir.?

Qui-Gon's brow furrowed. First of all, since when was he 'sir' to his own apprentice? And where did Obi-Wan get the idea that he would have considered art 'hindering'?

?...'Hindering', Obi-Wan??

?Yes, Master... I... I thought you would have thought it a waste of time. I thought that you would make me stop...? As Obi-Wan rambled on, Qui-Gon's mind zoned out into his own thoughts. Part of him was compelling him to go down the track he was leading ? to gently coax the boy that his gift for art was perfectly fine, that it was a gift, not a hindrance. But, each time he considered this road, the sketch popped into his mind, and all coherent thoughts were mixed into a jumble of questions. Why did Ob

18. Bastet

Dec 30, 1999
    Aawwwww!! :_| [face_love]

What a wonderful moment between Master and Padawan. [face_love]

That was sad how Obi was shaking as he worried about Qui's reaction. :( I'm glad Qui-Gon listened to the voice in his head, I loved how it sounded like Tahl. [face_love]

And Qui-Gon wondering how Obi knew what his smile looked like! :_|

?Do you know what you did for me, Obi-Wan?? Qui-Gon asked, still whispering; still smiling. Obi-Wan responded with a deeper furrow in his confused brow. The Jedi master sighed, and he could somehow sense a Tahl-like face somewhere in his mind, beaming. Qui-Gon's lips quirked up again; he couldn't help it. He touched Obi-Wan on the shoulder, looked him in the eye, and then drew him in a gentle embrace as the joyful tears welled up.

?You gave me my smile back.?
    [face_love] [face_love] I hope this means Qui can finally be the Master Obi deserves! [face_praying]

Thanks for the update, Jedi-Gon! I love this story! :D

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    That was a killer ending! Wow. A lesson learnded, and a smile rediscovered. It doesn't get much better than this.

20. Jedi-Gon

Nov 1, 2007
    Bastet - Thank you! I'm glad to here you like it! Yes, I liked the idea of Tahl's voice... If anyone is going to knock some sense into our favorite thick-skulled master, it'd be her. ;)

Valairy_Scot - Thanks! But, not quite the ending. There's one more chapter (Epilogue) coming!

21. slow_dawn

Apr 18, 2006
    What a great update! I loved how Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan grew much closer at the end. Can't wait for the last bit!

22. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004

Qui-Gon needs lessons in life.[face_shame_on_you]
    He is such a sad sack, no wonder Obi-Wan fears him.[face_worried]

Qui-Gon barely noticed as his apprentice walked back out of their quarters without explanation. He had other things to think about. The drawing that he had seen earlier that day still captivated his mind. He was still trying to figure out whether he believed it or not. Did Obi-Wan really draw that? Why didn?t he let Qui-Gon know?

---"Why didn't he let Qui-Gon know?"--- :oops: Why doesn't Qui-Gon speak to Obi-Wan, and then he would know all about Obi

Foolish Qui-Gon.
    But I loved the end when they embraced.
    "You gave me my smile back" :cool:

Obi-Wan does that doesn't he, he makes anyone smile.:*

Brilliant=D=

23. Blue_Lightsaber42

Dec 7, 2007
    :_| Aww!!![face_love]
    I loved that. How Obi-Wan was so scared that Qui found out, and than that part at the end was soooo sweet![face_love] Thank you, can't wait for the last bit!
    =D= =D= =D= =D= =D=
    And thanks for the PM!!!;)

24. Jedi-Gon

Nov 1, 2007
    Voilà! The epilogue is here, thus finishing this short, sweet little fic of mine. :D Thanks to everyone who replied, and glad y'all enjoyed it! [:D]

-Jedi-Gon

------------------------

In the days that followed, whispers traveled around the temple ? Master Jinn was smiling again! Word had it that he was even laughing! No one was quite sure if it was true or not, and many Jedi around the Temple were trying to discretely catch a glimpse of the master with a grin on his face. Tahl, for instance, was setting a deliberate walk for Jinn's quarters. It may be nearly midnight, and she may be blind, but her stride was quick and exact. Rounding corners and boarding lifts, she eventually came to the master's doorstep.

She knocked quietly on the door, knowing that it was quite late to be having visitors. But she knew Qui-Gon; he would answer at any hour. Sure enough, the door slid open with a hiss a few seconds later, and Tahl could feel Qui-Gon's strong presence in front of her.

?Tahl?? She heard him say quietly. ?Back from Corellia already?? His voice was slightly surprised, but pleasantly so. Pleasant. Tahl hadn't associated that particular emotion with Qui-Gon in a while. Perhaps the rumors were true.

?Rumor has it,? She started, ?that the great master Jinn has undergone an overnight transformation.? She paused, to gage his reaction. She sensed nothing but acceptance from the man. She smiled friendly. ?I came to see for myself.

?Come in.? Qui-Gon said, stepping aside so that Tahl could step in.

?So?? She asked, ?Is it true??

?Is what true?? Qui-Gon replied. Tahl could tell that he was stalling.

?Is Qui-Gon Jinn actually smiling again?? She asked, quietly.

?Oh.? He said. ?That.? Tahl held her breath. Was it just her imagination, or did that sound like a smile in his voice? There was a long, suspenseful pause, before Tahl could sense a ripple in the Force - like he was laughing. ?Yes, it is true.? He finished. Tahl knew he was beaming now. She could have sworn that she felt something like tears forming in her sightless eyes. Whatever it was, her friend must have seen it, because he stepped forward and wrapped her in his embrace, childish joy radiating off of his being. Tahl smiled and closed her eyes. She had so hoped it was true. And it was.

Albeit a bit awkwardly, Tahl returned Qui-Gon's huge embrace. ?Care to explain?? She asked, letting her hand rest on his cheek, which she could feel was turned up in a grin. It was the closest to seeing him smile she would ever get.

?Well,? Qui-Gon started, ?I suppose you can thank a certain young boy, when he wakes.?

?Obi-Wan?? She asked, surprised as she pulled back.

?Mmmhmm.? He said, leading Tahl over to the couch in the dark living area to sit. ?You see, it all started when his teacher, Vianro Dleka, found me in the halls...? With that, Qui-Gon retold the story of the past few days; how Vianro had unknowingly revealed one of Obi-Wan's secrets, how he had found the sketch in Obi-Wan's room, and how deeply the boy and his work had effected his master.

After he was done, there was a long, comfortable silence between the two friends.

?Remind me to hug the life out of that boy later.? Tahl said wistfully. Qui-Gon chuckled quietly.

?I'm not sure if I'll let you kill him, but I'll definitely let you hug him.? He smiled. ?He's still being very shy about his work, though. Apparently, not even Bant knows.? Tahl raised her eyebrows. ?He showed me some of it earlier,? Qui-Gon continued, ?I wish you could see it, Tahl, he's an amazing artist. He drew a picture of you, actually.? Qui-Gon glanced down at her. Tahl's eyebrows rose.

?Really??

Qui-Gon nodded.

?He's a sweet boy.? She said, leaning against Qui-Gon with a content sigh. ?You're a lucky man, Jinn.? She closed her eyes, as if to fall asleep.

?And don't I know it.? Qui-Gon said quietly, more to himself than anyone else. ?And not a moment too soon.? Qui-Gon sat there for a moment, smiling down fondly at his half-asleep friend. ?You helped me too, you know.?

?Really?? Tahl

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Ah...I'm feeling the mush. [face_love]

?Remind me to hug the life out of that boy later.? Tahl said wistfully. Qui-Gon chuckled quietly.

?I'm not sure if I'll let you kill him, but I'll definitely let you hug him.? He smiled. ?He's still being very shy about his work, though. Apparently, not even Bant knows.? Tahl raised her eyebrows. ?He showed me some of it earlier,? Qui-Gon continued, ?I wish you could see it, Tahl, he's an amazing artist. He drew a picture of you, actually.? Qui-Gon glanced down at her. Tahl's eyebrows rose.

?Really??

Qui-Gon nodded.

?He's a sweet boy.? She said, leaning against Qui-Gon with a content sigh. ?You're a lucky man, Jinn.? She closed her eyes, as if to fall asleep.

?And don't I know it.? Qui-Gon said quietly, more to himself than anyone else. ?And not a moment too soon.? Qui-Gon sat there for a moment, smiling down fondly at his half-asleep friend. ?You helped me too, you know.?

?Really?? Tahl inquired, her eyes still asleep, her voice slightly slurred.

?Yes,? He said, ?You were there in my head the whole time, giving me the truth when I need it most ? whether I wanted to hear it or not.? He leaned down to kiss her on the crown of her head. ?Like you always do.?

?Hmm...? She hummed with a sleepy smile, ?Force only knows you need it, Jinn. I'm glad I could be of help to you.? She paused, and seemed to fall deeper into sleep. ?And I'm glad you're smiling again.? After murmuring something about giving Obi-Wan the biggest hug in the galaxy, Tahl promptly fell asleep, her cheek pressed up against Qui-Gon's shoulder. With a light touch of the Force, Qui-Gon called a throw blanket to the couch, and pulled it over his friend. After a moment, he laid his cheek on her head and closed his eyes. He was glad too.

Ah...sweet...I'm too busy "ahhing" and "ooing" or however you spell that to write a nice review.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.