main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stronger Women Needed in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by LeavingTashiStation, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeavingTashiStation

LeavingTashiStation Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    Uruk-hai: and you don't see that as a problem?

I'm not saying that people should be defined by how they look, but representation is a good thing. Its also realistic.

2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

Why should movies encourage people to be fat-asses? It's bad for their health. Should they also promote smoking and drinking?

AYBABTU?

3. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Fat is fat.Ugly is ugly.Sure you can have overweight people that are attractive same as you can have ugly slim people.I don't see what answer LeavingTashiStation would be happy with.

Different strokes for different folks.

4. Autumn_Skywalker

Autumn_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    Well, I think that beauty is definitely subjective. Personally, I like slim men or solid men like Jango/Tem. *hubba hubba!!* And even tho I don't like it on some levels, I can understand the guys' points re: Padme. Hell, I got all worked up when Jango came out and just rolls his sleeves up! I was like...holeeeeFett...what a babe!! I can't imagine what I'd do if his shirt was ripped down the front. The sad thing for the women is...it's not. :(

And as for weight, I don't think it's a desire for beauty that keeps the "characters" slim, it's that they have to be able to move, and move gracefully, fast, and controlled. Survival of the fittest.

And as for looks alone, I know it's not politically correct, but let's face it..slim or solid is just more attractive to most people.

5. Rabid_Ewok

Rabid_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    I think a lot of movies also promtoe smoking but only because it is deemed cool. Just like not being a tub of crap is deemed sexy.

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Smoking is deemed cool? Maybe 20 years ago...

AYBABTU?

7. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Maybe it's not a good thing, but that's how society is.

George Lucas can't be blamed for the way we as a society worship youth and fitness. He's making a film. He wants people to go see it, that means getting attractive actors. I doubt the BO would have been 1 cent better if Padme was a an overweight girl. I am pretty sure it would have been worse. Not GL's fault.

8. LeavingTashiStation

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm not so much looking for people to agree with me but to make them stop and think for a minute. Body image IS a problem for many many people. There has to be a reason for this.

Again though, let me add that I am quite impressed by the intelligent debate going on here. It's nice to see for my first post.

9. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Instead of Natalie Portman, he should have cast Natalie from Facts of Life.

[image=http://www.wwyk.com/shows/factsoflife/nat.jpg]

AYBABTU?

10. Rabid_Ewok

Rabid_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    Come on every cool character in the movies smokes. I can give examples if you need them. Even the hobits smoke.(long-bottom leaf I beleive. although that may not be a reference to cigarettes.)

11. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Why are you singling out the women though? It's not like Anakin and Obi Wan were played by fat slobs.

People don't want to see ugly people as leads in movies. That goes for both genders.

12. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    and just why should it be down to George lucas to change what Hollywood has perpetually done for 100 years?

At least he's found alot of work for Midgets and Dwarves over the years!

13. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    I think Padme and Leia are two of the most strongest women in movie history.

14. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Green_Destiny

No. It means that you should also give them intelligence, not just toughness. Yes, in a war they will have to pick up guns but that's not the only thing they should do.

Look at Crouching Tiger (obviously a movie you like), Yu Shu Lien is impressive not just because she could fight, but because they were ALSO intelligent women who only fought because it is necessary. She was beautiful and WISE.
    With Jen Yu, she was a tough woman who could fight yes. But she was also an innocent, naive girl in her own way who learned responsibility at a price.
    In Aliens, Ripley is impressive not just because she was kick ass. But because she was smart enough to want to leave the planet at first, but when Nute was in trouble she could get down and dirty when NECESSARY.

I'm not saying that hey let's not make the woman fight. If you took it that way then you misunderstoor. What I am saying is that many movies just think that, hey we'll give a woman a gun, have her shoot the crap out of everything. Yeah, that'll be empowerment. It's not.

Woman and men often have different ways of thinking of things. Just by showing a woman who thinks like a man doesn't work. You have to create characters that reflect the best of what a woman can bring to the table while breaking down pre-conceived notions of what woman can't do.

That's why I do feel that Padme is a good representation of woman. She is intelligent, resourceful and compassionate. She would rather use diplomacy than violence. BUT if it comes down to it one who is not afraid to use guns because it is necessary.

15. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    Autumn_Skywalker - You really need to hire out Once Were Warriors and What Becomes of the Broken Hearted if you're such a Tem fan.

16. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    Yeah, thanks Tashi for putting this thread in...it's the most interesting to me right now, being a woman in the SW family.

If I made a movie with Tem Morrison or Ewan McGregor, they might be dressed or undressed differently than in AOTC. But George is a man, and he made this film. He's not married or in a serious relationship as far as I know, so he really has very little, if any at all, female input. And even if he did, he might not listen. It's his arena. I love most of it. And again, I can see both sides.

Ya have to respect the guys for not complaining that all the baddies are guys. Does that say that all men are megalomaniacal? No...because there's a balance with the heros. I just wish there were more women in the movie to have some kind of balance.

There's something in one of the books, I've forgotten which one I saw it in now, but there were sketches for a female Sith Lord. Now that would have been cool!

17. Elven_Jedi

Elven_Jedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 23, 2002
    There are poweful wemon in ATOC. Aayla Secura for example I would say has some formidable power.

18. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    Don't you gals have a N.O.W. meeting or a Lillith Faire concert to get to? :p

I don't think girls can get a more positive role model than Padme. Yeah she's hot, but the women drool over Christenson and McGregor too so you don't have a leg to stand on there. I think this is a non-issue.

19. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    Excuse me a min folks while I get off topic...

Uruk...the video tape is sitting in my video recorder as we speak, and has been there for a week. I've about burned it up! What Becomes of the Broken Hearted is only on PAL. :( If you can find it to play on the US system, please pm me and let me know where I can order it!! I'm trying to bribe my Aussie friend right now to get a copy and switch it for me. Thanks tho.

20. LeavingTashiStation

Jun 4, 2002
    "and just why should it be down to George lucas to change what Hollywood has perpetually done for 100 years?"

Well, why not him. There have been a lot of Hollywood traditions acceptable in the past that we now see as outdated and pernicious. Lucas also makes a big deal about how he is an independant film maker, someone proud to avoid focus groups. His movies are known around the world and he is guaranteed a large audience. Remember, change like this wouldn't interfere with the plot. I doubt it would hurt the box office. Some characters could still be unrealistically sexy. But they shouldn't all be that way.

21. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    PadmeBra...why? You want us to leave? I didn't know this was an exclusive male arena. Even George Lucas never made me feel that way. :(

22. LeavingTashiStation

Jun 4, 2002
    "I don't think girls can get a more positive role model than Padme. Yeah she's hot, but the women drool over Christenson and McGregor too so you don't have a leg to stand on there. I think this is a non-issue."

Except that Obi-Wan and Anakin are not portrayed nearly as sexually as Padme is.

Also, says a lot that people assume I'm female.

23. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

What about my point that revealing her beauty helped propell the love story forward? It wasn't just eye candy for horny males. It established her beauty and toughness, traits that explained Anakin's attraction to her.

AYBABTU?

24. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    From a male's point of view (at least mine :) ) I think there is also a benefit to making the character attractive. It definitely makes you notice her.
    And while you notice that she's beautiful, you also notice that she is a smart woman. That I think leaves a very positive general impression of woman. So when men look for the ideal woman, we look for woman who are more like say Padme, one with both intelligence and good looks.

25. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

And Lucas should have put her in this outfit.

[image=http://www.natalieportman.com/images/magazines/natvog4.jpg]

AYBABTU?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.