main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stronger Women Needed in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by LeavingTashiStation, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uruk-hai

Uruk-hai Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 26, 2000
    You're a guy?

;)

2. Rabid_Ewok

Rabid_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    Man she always looks pissed

3. Autumn_Skywalker

Autumn_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    Mini Yoda, I understand your point completely, and I agree. As a woman, that's what I look for in a man, both intelligence and good looks. It's just that the same impact of sexuality isn't portrayed in the men. Don't get me wrong, I think several of the men in this movie are gorgeous and very attractive, but it's not accented. Know what I mean? But again, I do understand. Jango standing there in that loose tshirt is so sexy to me. But then, that's just me ;)

4. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    2. Shmi: she dies

You know, Shmi may not be the action hero, but something tells me that surviving a month with the Tuskens isn't exactly a sign of a weak person, or some stereotypical woman. The same group that killed 26 men didn't break Shmi, who held on in hope of seeing her son again. And she hadn't exactly had an easy life before that, as a slave, and making the sacrifice of giving up her son so that he could have a better life. But I guess it depends on how "strength" is defined. Just because she doesn't go around kicking-$*& doesn't mean she isn't a strong person, or that she isn't someone to be admired. Strength comes in all forms, and if the concern here is that women are being stereotyped...well, I'd think people would be glad that we see all sorts of women, with all kinds of strength, instead of just focusing on the fact that she died, as though that makes her a weak female or something.

And Padme's only role in a major action sequences is to avoid being killed.

As opposed to Obi-Wan and Anakin? I pretty much thought they were trying not to get killed in the arena as well. I don't know. In a battle where nearly every Jedi gets killed, a non-Jedi without a saber making it to the end is no small feat.

Lots of girls would like to be able to identify with an action hero. It would be nice if Lucas would let them.

You seem to think that no little girl, identifies with Padme (or Leia, or whoever). I sincerely doubt that's the case. They are action heroes, even if they aren't Jedi. They are strong, independent, and action-oriented...what's not to relate to? I don't see the point in wishing that Mace had been a woman, or that the main protagonists hadn't been Anakin and Luke...we've got great female characters already, and dismissing them while pining for more isn't what I'd call productive. JMHO.

As for the ripped shirt...I suppose I'd be a hypocrite if I complained about it, because I rather enjoyed Hayden shirtless (and with the sort of open shirt in the following scene). ;) The enjoyment didn't make me think less of him as a person or anything, so I don't see it as demeaning for Padme to have a monster rip the hell out of her back while she tries to fight it. And I suppose Jabba could have put Leia in a business suit, but that just didn't seem to be his style. ;)

And as for the body image discussion -- I'm with Padme Bra. It's not like the guys in the flicks are unattractive, or overweight, or any of that stuff that good, socially-conscious "representation" is supposed to include so that the audience feels better about itself. That in a visual medium people like to see people who are visually pleasing isn't really a surprise, or necessarily a social problem. It's human nature.

5. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    Padme is not a sexual stereotype i.e large breasted female.She could have been though, i find it amazing that someone is offended by a good looking young woman portraying a heroine on screen.

Heroine = positive role model.

next!

6. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

//marries ami-padme

AYBABTU?

7. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    I have no problem w/ the women characters in the PT. I like Padme. We all seem to forget she was a complete ball buster in TPM. She defies Palpatine, manages to confuse everyone (including Jedi) that she's the Queen and not a handmaiden, returns to her invaded planet, devises a 3 pronged battle attack on the interlopers, and wins the day!

In AOTC, her opinion that an army being built is the core of the resistance in the Senate, she's obviously the dominant person in the Anakin/Padme relationship, and she kicks butt in battle.

I think Lucas is working on developing Padme beautifully. We see her moving from being a serious beaurocrat to being resourceful, intelligent, and spirited. I think EP III will really be Padme's film. The fact that she's willing to give up her son for the sake of the Republic shows strength beyond what most could possibly imagine.

She may not be as in your face as Leia, but you can definitly tell where Leia gets her attitude from.

8. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    AYBABTU: [face_love]

9. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    I've always seen Shmi as very, very strong. She's one of my favorite characters.

10. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Why describe a strong woman as a "ball buster"?

Are strong women supposed emasculate men? I think that's another bad stereotype.

11. Rabid_Ewok

May 30, 2002
    The bottom line is that this is a movie and for movies to be successful(successful=make money) you need sex appeal. Also, If Padme was a fat pig no one would believe that anakin would dig her, or that she was able to climb that pole in the arena scene, or dodge machines on the assembly line etc. etc. Furthermore I wouldn't want to see anakin pursue padme if she was a ugly. But since she is hot I can relate.

12. Rabid_Ewok

May 30, 2002
    Yeah right;
    Like at work a man who is a ball buster is labled as assertive. A woman who is a ball buster is a bitch. I agree that is a bad stereotype.

13. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Oh fine- I didn't realize I would release such a bru-ha-ha by calling Padme a Ball-buster.

But think about it- Sideous is appalled and totally confused when Nute reports what Amidala and her group are doing to fight off the Federation. Sideous/Palpatine was sure she was a little girl he could control, now she's completely screwing w/ his plans. Obviously Sideous/Palpy wanted to take power then, but w/ the death of Darth Maul, and the triumph over the Trade Federation, Sideous had to devise a new plan. Note it was 10 years ago that the clones were ordered. Because of Amidala's actions, Palpatine/Sideous' plans had to be changed, and put on a new time schedule.

14. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    MINI YODA-- I see your point now. It was not as clear to me at all before. Sorry I misinterpreted you. I do agree with your points, but the only disagreement I have is your assumption that fighting and using weapons are exclusively "male" traits and this a woman who fights is "acting like a man." But overall, you make some very good points.

Crouching Tiger I think is a great example you're going to find among recent movies involving action where you see strong, complex, female characters. Ironically, after seeing TPM and CTHD, I wished Anakin was portrayed more like Jen Yu! What a great portrayal of the incredibly talented, emotionally troubled apprentice.

15. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Coincidentally, the female characters in CTHD were also incredibly hot. Hmmmm...

AYBABTU?

16. ami-padme

Sep 19, 1999
    Don't be bad, AYBABTU. You know you aren't supposed to notice that. ;) :p

17. Uruk-hai

Oct 26, 2000
    Yeah but none of them got their shirt wripped by a cheetah on acid.

Bru-ha-ha?

18. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Autumn

I think for you then, it's not "Stronger Women Needed in AOTC", it's more "Sexier Men needed in AOTC". A tit for tat as it were. LOL

But seriously I do think it is important to listen to women and their concerns.

One because it is an important concern, not just for women but for men. Movies play a large role in the perception of reality and we should never forget that fact.
    and Two, as a Star Wars fan, if empowered women will help increase the fanbase amongst women, and help them see the beauty of Star Wars than more power to it.

19. Rabid_Ewok

May 30, 2002
    Yeah and more women in the fan base means more women for the men in the fan base. Naaah im only kidding my old lady would go reek style on me. And when I say old lady please don't take offense to it. Or create a thread about it, it's just a term. Just not as bad as ball buster. Which she isn't.....yet.

20. LeavingTashiStation

LeavingTashiStation Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    "Also, If Padme was a fat pig no one would believe that anakin would dig her, or that she was able to climb that pole in the arena scene, or dodge machines on the assembly line etc. etc. Furthermore I wouldn't want to see anakin pursue padme if she was a ugly. But since she is hot I can relate. "

I wouldn't agree with that. I think that if you write a love story properly, the way the lovers look is irrelevant.

Think about how people define sexy. Why wouldn't the audience believe Anakin could be attracted to a heavier Padme? Could it be because we never see it? People should at least be aware of their biases. I know this is off-topic and I don't know how many off you watch Buffy, but a few years ago when Tara was introduced as a character there were lots of people out there unfairly picking on her because she wasn't lean. I see a problem there. Here's what she looks at, by the way, go to:

http://www.buffy.com/photos_slayer.shtml?sorceress

21. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    MINIYODA! You ain't called Yoda for nuthin! Bingo! You got it, babe!

Jango's gun is a great uhm, symbol for male anatomy, and I LOVE IT..but I want MORE!

[face_love] heehee *distinct female giggle*

22. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

That isn't a good comparison. That chick is just ugly. It has nothing to do with her weight. And people say she's fat? I don't see it. She just looks like she's been hit in the face with a kaboodle box.

AYBABTU?

23. Rabid_Ewok

May 30, 2002
    No way dude, they would be
    Padme: " well you have to follow me to gensoisis anakin"
    Anakin: "ok lets go"
    Padme: "just as soon as we stop at dexters for triple taun taun burger and some jawa juice"

24. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    RabidEwok, as Boba says, YEP! You'll never hear me complain that the loverrrly males are in the majority here.

uh oh..did I say lovely males?

"she can't do that! shoot her..or something!"

25. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    AYABATU said: Coincidentally, the female characters in CTHD were also incredibly hot. Hmmmm...

Yeah, Jade Fox was soo hot. And Michelle Yeoh is like 40. Oh and Jen Yu's mom, in that tea time scene? Whoa...smokin! Whatever.

And even if they all are hot in your opinion (because we obviously differ here), they clearly demonstrated many other talents and reasons for their strength and character in the film. Much more than SW. That was my point to begin with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.