main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Stronger Women Needed in AOTC

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by LeavingTashiStation, Jun 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    Why didn't Lucas use Yaddle to fight Dooku? Why?!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

The CTHD characters you mentioned weren't intended to be role models either. And the fact that you refuse to see beauty in a 40-year old is a much greater travesty than Lucas casting a hot Natalie Portman.

AYBABTU?

3. LeavingTashiStation

LeavingTashiStation Jedi Youngling

Jun 4, 2002
    "That isn't a good comparison. That chick is just ugly. It has nothing to do with her weight. And people say she's fat? I don't see it. She just looks like she's been hit in the face with a kaboodle box. "

You don't find her attractive. Fine. But I think the comparison stands; the point I'm making is that because of body types like Padme's being held as an ideal, a disturbing number of people see someone like Tara as unattractive because of her weight. Yet this is a very natural weight for a lot of girls. Yet because of the images they see, they have a problem with how they look. What kind of message does it send out when Tara gets a lot of flack for looking as she does? And will NOT showing more women like this make girls more comfortable with their bodies? I doubt it.

4. Jawa70

Jawa70 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2002
    I met Amber Benson who plays Tara in 'Buffy' a couple of years back at a convention.She was slim in real life and really pretty.a normal girl in other words. i was quite shocked.

Sarah Michelle Gellar must be really,REALLY tiny.

5. Rabid_Ewok

Rabid_Ewok Jedi Youngling star 1

May 30, 2002
    Yeah leaving it's a shame that some parents let tv raise their kids. Your right.

6. MINI_YODA

MINI_YODA Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 25, 2002
    Green Destiny,

While I loved Anakin's portryal that is a VERY interesting comment.
    I never really thought of it, but that would have been pretty cool to have Anakin a bit more in the Jen Yu strain.

I guess the only thing is that with Jen, I never really saw a capacity for evil with her. She was more of a rebellious girl who did things that could be construed as unethical more for the thrill and the sense of freedom.

With Anakin, it was more of a sense of anger that drove him. Still, a bit more of the rebellious free spirit may have been an interesting exposition into the Anakin character.
    I get the feeling that that aspect will be explored in EP3. In that movie I think it will be his rebellious, impetuous nature that will lead to his downfall.

7. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    LeavingTashiStation, I am particularly curious as to your problems with Shmi. If you get the chance, could you explain what it is about her that you find, weak, stereotypical, unimportant to the plot, etc.? I don't get that.

And can we get a little concern here for the men? I'm sure they feel the pressure of not being nearly as attractive as Hayden or Ewan or the guy who plays Jango...what about their pain? ;)

8. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Bah! I'm way better lookin' than those dorks!

AYBABTU?

9. Rabid_Ewok

May 30, 2002
    Yeah I am told I resemble ankin hooked on cheesesteaks for about three years.

10. Autumn_Skywalker

Autumn_Skywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    Shmi is amazing to me. Her quiet contemplation, her facial expressions showing her sadness at letting her son go, her pure love. Now that is strength.

I always loved this line from a song:
    "it's so easy to laugh, it's so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind." ~The Smiths.

11. LeavingTashiStation

Jun 4, 2002
    "LeavingTashiStation, I am particularly curious as to you problems with Shmi. If you get the chance, could you explain what it is about her that you find, weak, stereotypical, unimportant to the plot, etc.? I don't get that."

I don't actually have any problem with Shmi. Plot wise, she is incredibly necessary. I listed her only just to point out how few women actually talk in the film. Wanted to cover my bases before someone yelled "what about Shmi?!" Just being fastidious.

Then again, if you're playing Star Wars with your friends, who is going to say "I wanna be Shmi!" ?

12. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Who's gonna say, "I wanna be Ki-Adi Mundi?"

AYBABTU?

13. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
  14. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    LeavingTashiStation, Padme will be revealed to be Princess Fiona from SHREK in Episode III. :D

(sorry for the spoiler folks)

15. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    I listed her only just to point out how few women actually talk in the film.

Alright...it's just you put next to her name, "She dies," as if that summed up her character, and proved she was just another female girls can't look up to. That isn't what you meant to imply?

Then again, if you're playing Star Wars with your friends, who is going to say "I wanna be Shmi!" ?

Is that the "strong woman" criteria? Then I can see where we disagree on what makes a strong, admirable character. She doesn't flash a saber or shoot a gun, which means little kids are less likely to "play" at her, so Lucas has not provided positive female heroines...yeah, I'll have to disagree.

16. yodaman

yodaman Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 26, 1999
    It's funny because I remember there was a thread that vehemently complained Lucas was being too PC by including so many more women in the PT than in the OT and he had softened and was giving in to all this PC crap. Now we get the opposite and saying he isn't PC enough. I guess Lucas needs an affirmative action lawyer to hand him a list of quotas he needs concerning race and gender for episode III.

17. LeavingTashiStation

Jun 4, 2002

"Alright...it's just you put next to her name, "She dies,"

A lovely baiting technique.

"Then again, if you're playing Star Wars with your friends, who is going to say "I wanna be Shmi!" ? "

Said with tounge firmly in cheek.

18. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    My reasons for not wanting to be Shmi in a role playing game are far less gallant...I wouldn't get to be with Jango. How's that for a one-track mind? man, I need to take a powder.

19. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    Sorry Autumn, but Jango is either gay or his other 'rocket pack' is malfunctioning.Why else would he order a clone son for himself?

curious, isn't it?

(p.s. to the PC brigade.don't get worked up.i'm NOT serious)

20. Autumn_Skywalker

Apr 17, 2002
    That's easy. He hadn't met ME yet. oops.....*erases blatant sexual rocket reference* ;)

21. Rabid_Ewok

May 30, 2002
    Yeah jengo is kind of narcissistic wouldn't you say?

22. LeavingTashiStation

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm pushing this up since the West Coast should be getting to work around now and I would like to get as much feedback on this topic as possible.

23. Undomiel

Undomiel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 17, 2002
    Being female and rather independent-minded, it strikes me as odd that anyone would have a problem with the roles of the ladies in Star Wars. It was GL's intention to promote an air of the age of chivalry in the Star Wars saga, something I thought everyone knew. In some ways, the independent women in the show are almost out of place at times. One moment you have Luke saving Leia from the Death Star and the next she's ripping Han Solo a new one, "Into the garbage chute, flyboy!" And yet it works.

I thought this spunky female lead (Leia) was a foreshadowing of how most of his leading women would be portrayed but this was not so with Padme. It wasn't until the arena that you finally see her stepping out of her prior role of the helpless damsel in distress. I suppose it could be said that he does focus a bit on sex appeal in his leading ladies, but after having spent some time emersed in the fantasy sector of Elfwood, EverQuest and few other online environments, I can state with utmost assurety that most people really enjoy the female figure. There are more tributes to the beauty of a woman's body than any other to my knowledge, in art, music, movies, etc.

As far as the costumes of Padme and Leia go, I thought they were appropriate for the situation, although Padme's white shirt nipple extravanganza might've been a little over the edge. I loved Leia's metal bikini (No I'm not a lesbian hehe). I thought it was a appropriate for her situation. Matched the environment and her predicament, and she looked great considering she was in her 30's by then (Carrie Fisher actually had to go on a diet to wear that thing).

I can empathize with the fact none of the ladies come off as being the hero [or a major hero] of the movies. The heroine role is pretty much non-existent above and beyond the extremely rare moment -- Leia as Boosk, rescuing Han from carbon freeze and throttling Jabba with her own chain, Shmi allowing Anakin to go for his jedi training, are the only moments of this nature I can think of.

Still, all and all, I think the balance is appropriate since it was never meant to be a statement of female superiority in the first place. It seems more symbiotic to me. Each gender playing his or her role as more natural to a chivalrously-motivated space saga.

-Undomiel

24. Jawa70

May 18, 2002
    LeavingTashiStation, you're not one of those trashy journalists or something are you?

just how many men does Mary Jane watson have her eyes on in Spiderman? i haven't seen it, but i heard four.Four in a two hour movie! what a tart! :D

25. Vodstok

Vodstok Jedi Youngling star 2

May 13, 2002
    This is the kind of topic where no one will ever agree totally. Everyone has a slightly different opinion about what is right or wrong here. I personally have absolutely no problem with the old "Damsel in distress" portrayal. You know why? Because it happens. I had no problem with Mary Jane in Spiderman. She wasn't a superhero, she was some girl that a bunch of bad crap happened to. To be honest, most guys would have acted the same way. Ever been in a life threatening situation? Most people panic. I for one suffered an extremely bad head wound once, by myself, and got to call 911, by myself, meanwhile blood poured all over my face and I tried to stop it with paper towels. I kept a level head.
    Not everyone can do that.
    I know plenty of women who would have reacted the same way I did.
    Also, as far as "hot" is concerned, Natalie Portman is extremely attractive. You know who else is extremely attractive? Janine Garafalo. It is agreed among my freinds and I that she is a hottie. She would kill us if she heard that, and a lot of people have looked at me funny for saying that, but she is. She never shows any skin, but that doesn't matter.
    Also, men and women can't truly ever be compared, they are too different. Are women better than men because they can bear children? No, just different. Also, I work with some guys that I refer to as "dirty, dirty man whores". Why? Because they will sleep with any one. My opinion on them is no different from my opinion on women with the same behavior. And that is not to say that what they do is wrong, just different from how I approach life.

But Like I said, this issue is just too full of conflicting opinions to have any true resolution.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.