main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Stubborn as my Shadow - Obi-Wan, Intertrilogy, vignette, Bobs Rule

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Free_Bob_Now, Nov 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Free_Bob_Now

Free_Bob_Now Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2004
    Title: Stubborn as my Shadow
    Author: Bobble
    Summary: Obi-Wan finds an unlikely companion.
    A/N: This is by Bobble, of Bobben, Bob, and Bobble, Inc. ;) The three of us have posted on these boards before and have taken to challenging each other to write some stories. Hope you enjoy! :D

Stubborn as my Shadow

The heat of Tatooine sucks the breath right out of me. At times, I feel as if I can see my energy evaporating as my skin is boiled in the heat and blasted by wind that is more like a furnace than an inhabited planet.

The wind: that is nearly worse than the heat. We're in the middle of the stormy season, when more often than not the desert is attempting to flay you alive. Today the sand storms aren?t that bad; sixty kilometers an hour at best. I can stand upright, at least.

I?m not out often during the day. Besides the heat, the light of the sun makes it hard to hide from prying eyes. There?s a bounty on my head, on every Jedi. As a General in the Clone Wars, my face is known more than most. My only saving grace may be Tatooine?s anti-Imperial attitude. Yet bounty hunters abound in the Empire, and Force knows that a lot of people could use the money.

So I trudge through the storm, my head lowered against the sand and heat. I?d rather go at night, but I?m getting low on supplies, and I?ve heard the Sand People have been going out on raids now. Tatooine has been something of a ?damned if you do, damned if you don?t? experience for me.

And, as ever for the past few months, there?s that sound of feet on sand padding behind me. I try to ignore it and continue toward town.

I don?t own a speeder. I don?t mind the walk, not really. I?m a Jedi, right? I?m supposed to be immune to pain. I?m supposed to be strong and confident. I?m supposed to compartmentalize all the horrible stuff that?s happened to me, all the friends I?ve lost. I?m a Jedi, I?m supposed to accept it all with calm and continue to obey the Force.

Yeah, right. I have no one left, and it hurts.

I continue to plod my way along the trail I?ve made over the years. As I get closer to town, I vary my path so it?s hard to follow me. Can?t be too careful. But no matter how many sidesteps I take, no matter how many sudden swerves, there is that sound behind me, now a constant heavy panting, as stubborn as my shadow.

I whirl. "You're irritating! You make me grind my teeth at night. You drain me. I'm less when I'm with you. Do you understand? Can you sithin' hear me? Frack! Why aren't you a complete stranger? It would make the Empire less hostile."

My words ? born of frustration ? are harsh and nonsensical. It?s the heat, it?s making me lose my judgement. The back of my mind vaguely registers that thought.

The object of my anger cowers before me, trembling despite the heat. Wide brown eyes of a gentle canine stare frightfully at me. A long tail is tucked between her legs, and her furry ears flop in the wind. I shift my weight, and she shies away. She moves like a limp bantha, which I find surprising considering the size of her feet. She?s a big dog, but not clumsy; she?s used to her size. I realize her devotion to me, whether I asked for it or not, has caused her pain - the sand must be quite hot, even to her protected feet.

My shoulders droop and I sigh. ?I am sorry, little one,? I apologize. ?Come, there will be shade once we reach the city.?

Her ears perk up at my tone and her fearful glance turns to one of cautious hope. I gesture for her to follow me and I turn away, continuing on. Soon I hear her plodding after me again.

We reach town not long after, and we both gratefully hug the walls of alleyways, where even limited shade is a welcome relief. The buildings block some of the wind, too, and I am able to shake out some of the sand from my cloak. My canine companion shakes out a great deal more from her fur.

I walk slowly and carefully among the narrow streets, heading toward the back of the city. I try not to make contact with many travelers I pass by; I don?t want trouble

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yay, I'm so happy to see a more serious one from the Bobism trio. Liked the canine, since it's a thing we can all relate to. :)

3. Thrawn McEwok

Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare star 6 VIP

May 9, 2000
    Bob: excellent 'fic! Superbly written, sharply characterized, and with rather good dialogue... :D

Is the shift from Ewan-voice to Guinness-voice deliberate? ;) :D

***geneflucts*** ;)

- The Imperial Ewok

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Nicely done. I liked that Shadow saved Ben from getting killed. Good descriptions and I like the interaction between dog and master.

Good job.

5. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    :eek: [face_laugh]

You... three :p

6. Free_Bob_Now

Nov 19, 2004
    DarthIsthar - I'm the serious side of this trio. :p The others - they're both nuts! :p Glad you enjoyed! :D

Thrawn McEwok - Why, thank you! :D There be no Ewan or Guinness 'round here ... there be only Bob!

dianethx - Thanks! :D Glad you liked the interaction between the two. Wasn't sure how that would come out.

Bri_Windstar - Did you think we'd stop with just one? World domination doesn't work that way. :p Thanks for popping in. :D

And for those of you interested in more stories by the Bobs, there is Beautifula: In Absence over on the Beyond board. It's H/L, EU, humor - and written by all three of us, which is quite an experience. Click. Read. Believe in Bob! :D

7. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    I applaud you.=D= Whichever Bob you are.:pI like the idea of Obi Wan having a dog. This was very well written and captured the hostile environment of post-Republic fall very well.

It also made me smile :D

8. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    cool story, Bob(s)

Obi needs some company out there, glad you got him a pup! :)

9. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I really, really like this story. For some reason, it reminds me of the ANH novelization - because of the duck reference, I think. [face_thinking] You've taken something that many would say 'oh, that's not Star Wars!' and made it Star Wars. Sometimes people get nitpicky (can't call it a birthday - nope, it's a lifeday) and kinda lose the spirit, but you captured that spirit brilliantly here. :D Obi-Wan, the dog, his life - and life period - after the fall of the Republic.

I heart it. [face_love]

10. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    How did I miss this story over Thanksgiving??? Oh well, I'm glad I did, so I could read it today and become renewed in my faith in the Bobs! And I thought it was kind of funny, even though it was a little serious. Okay, so that sentence was in two minds. I really loved it! And I LOVE BOB!

11. Free_Bob_Now

Nov 19, 2004
    StarFighter5 - Why, thank you! I'm glad I made you smile! :)

SarkaVrae - Yup, it would be a long wait in the desert without a companion, I say. :D Thanks for reading!

obaona - Glad you didn't mind the dog popping in there; I wasn't sure if dogs were in GFFA or not. :p And thank you. :D

Laura_Anu - I'm happy you enjoyed, and thank you! :D And I must say I'm glad I renewed your faith in the Bobs! My cohorts, Bobben and Bob, have more stories in the works. Long live Bob!

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    That was amazingly well done! You captured Obi-Wan so very well! Loved every single word.

13. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    Aww! This was great, Bobette(s)! Nicely characterized, and I liked the plot. Nice job!

~Ire @};-

14. Free_Bob_Now

Nov 19, 2004
    VaderLVR64 - Thank you! :D The Bobs are much pleased that you enjoyed this so much. :)

I'd like to point out that the Bobs have written some more stories recently ... check the profile for links! :D

Lt_Jaina_Solo - This is Bobben ;). Bobble deserves all the credit for this 'fic. Hooray for our Bobble! Thanks! :)

15. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    Brilliant, simply brilliant!

16. Free_Bob_Now

Nov 19, 2004
    From Bobble:

LukesTheMan - Thank you! [face_blush] :D

17. Quin22

Quin22 Jedi Youngling

Feb 21, 2005
    Well being new, I'm unfamiliar with the "trio" you all are speaking of, so I read on and realize theres lots of bobs. Sort of the creamy filling in an already riviting reading experience. I have to say I've been reading around the forums and that was among the best I've read. I concur with everyone when I say this is an exquisitely well written piece. thanks Bob...errr Bobs...I thoroughly enjoyed the ride :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.