main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[student bank accounts] which one?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by moosemousse, Aug 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm going to be a student and I need a student bank account, the only problem is I don't know who to go with. I've allready got a bank account with HSBC so it can't be with them. Other than that, I don't know anything.

Any ideas?

2. lukesgirlie

lukesgirlie Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 30, 2005
    The Natwest one is really good, I've just moved my account recently and was amazingly annoyed that I'm only just not old enough to get it. The interest is pretty good and you get a free 5 year student railcard (worth £100) and a webcam. I saw another one the other day that wasn't quite as good and you got an ipod shuffle, I think that was Lloyds or Halifax but I'm not sure. Just whatever you go, dont go to Barclays, they do confusing things without asking you and make it look like they're stealing your money :p

3. Dickie

Dickie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 19, 2005
    I hear the RBS one is good. They keep sending me stuff about their account and it doesn't seem to bad, they don't seem to get the message I'm not currently, or going to be, a student though. Another option might be Cahoot, their normal account is supposedly great.

4. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    The one with the best interest rate 3 years ago was smile bank. I've been with them since and would recommend them, I've never had any problems

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I was actually going to recommend HSBC as they have a good reputation for student accounts.

If not them, Halifax were always an alright student account for me. In my third year they let me have a £1900 overdraft.

6. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Natwest do offer a £100 railcard, which could be extremely useful if you travel on the train a lot (30% of all fares!).

I've been with Natwest since I was 16, and they've been great. I was with them for my student account, then my graduate account. They do outstanding graduate development loans which can really help if you need when you graduate. Their banking is simple, and they offer a competitive ISA if you feel like putting a little away when you can. They also have an overdraft facility as standard, which you can easily extend if needed (even over the phone).

If not, then they also have an e-savers account which links to your student account - it has around 4.5% interest on any savings and is instant access!!!!!

What I like about Natwest is their Action Line service which lets you do a number of things over the phone rather than visit a branch (things like pay a bill, put money on a credit card, extend an overdraft or apply for a loan). UK call centres, and I've never waited more than 10 seconds for my call to be answered.

Lastly, they do free financial advice for students and graduates meaning they can help you look at mortgages and pensions in the future, and look after your cash most efficently now.

Furthermore, they don't have any STUPID tv ads with annoying HOWARD and other singing idiots.

7. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    why not cut out the middle-man and get a job (in your local fast-food retailer) straight away?
    think of all the grief you'd be saving yourself in years to come!
    no need to thank me.
    ;)

8. jamierichards

jamierichards Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    no,seriously... what are you going to study?
    i'm doing a posh evening course to study art and painting and all that.
    making me...a mature student.

malkie edit naughty word, can't do that

9. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm doing software engineering, a full time course. I think I might also be a mature student, but I'm not sure.

I think the Natwest one might be a good idea. I might be looking to use trains to meet up with people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.