main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Stuff from the old EU that is now official canon and might appear in the ST.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by TtheForceHurts, Nov 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    This is a most interesting time for Star Wars fans, not only due to the ST that no one saw coming around the corner, but also because we now have a unified canon with everything that is published now with the SW brand being the "truth". While a whole lot of original concepts and stories are released now I noticed that, especially in the two novels that have been recently published a lot of concepts from the former EU were now officially canonized. This made me wonder if any of this happened due to them having an impact on the ST/Spin-Offs) or rather out of convenience.

Not being that much of a EU geek now as I was in the 90's, I am sure to have missed a lot of other stuff, but this is what I have found most interesting/intriguing and most importantly, which could have an impact on the ST:

Cortosis: This lightsaber-resistant crystal was mentioned in "ANew Dawn" and I could see it being used in the armor of the Bad guy and even the Chrome Troopers. Permacrete and Transparisteel also were canonized. The Kyber Crystal was mentioned

Sate Pestage: Top Tier advisor of Palpatine (and also the leader of the Empire at various points post ROTJ), He appears on the Imperial High Council in "Tarkin" by Luceno and was also important in Palpatine's rise to power in Luceno's (sadly) non-canon "Darth Plagueis".To be honest, Luceno often refers to events that happened in his former books in "Tarkin" and by that makes them appear to be still valid in the New Canon:
    11-4D, Plagueis personal droid that stored all his secrets/experiments
    Discussions with Dooku prior to him leaving the order, mentions of Eriadu's trade summit, Ansion, Ando, Onderon and Obroa Skai, Allusions to Plagueis, the Deep Core etc.
    Sate Pestage could still be in office by the time EPVII happens. The Deep Core could also play a role in the ST as the new heroes embark upon a journey to the birthplace of the force. Maybe the force awakened in the Deep Core...(Damn everytime I think about the "Deep Core" I hear it in Boss Nass's voice in my head;))
    I alos loved that Ruusan was mentioned and I still hope that we will one day get a Darth Bane/Battle of Ruusan spin-off.

Sienar and Sluis Van are also canon now.

These are preety exiting times and by establishing an unified canon and the creation of the story group they have made sure that I will buy and read (or listen through audible) all the new material, since all of it is "true" now and could matter in light of the new movies.

I am sure to have missed some stuff and I have only watched the first 3 episodes of Rebels yet and read none of the young adult rebels novels, so if you have noticed other stuff, fire away.

2. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    Thrawn's blue head. Only.

No Mara Jade at all!!! Yip!

3. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I'm glad cortosis is official :) - it would be cool if stormtrooper was cortosis, at the "chrometrooper" (maybe the "chrome" is cortosis);)

Kyber crystal were "canonized" in TCW, and have appeared (kind of…) in Rebels.

4. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Interestingly, when I watched Rebels: the subtitles spelled it "Kaiburr crystal" - same spelling as in Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

6. Hoggsquattle

Hoggsquattle Jedi Master star 5

Feb 7, 2009

I believe the official spelling is "kyber" - I was corrected on that in this forum before ;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I suppose that could be a mistake on the subtitlers part (it's quite common for subtitles to have errors).

8. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    COMPNOR is canon now too.

(Commission for the Preservation of the New Order)

I'm surprised by how much they're keeping. Sounds like they're gonna keep most of the universe itself, but the plots will be different. A lot of characters will get eliminated, but things like planets, organizations, ships, stuff like that seem mostly intact.

9. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    What I find the most interesting is that "Tarkin" all but legitmizes "Darth Plagueis" in that it references a lot of the stuff that happened there without contradicting anything. So far nearly everything that has come out of the story group reinforced the pre-OT EU so it might indeed be that only the post ROTJ EU is truly wiped.

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Cortosis is a crystal? I thought it was a rock mineral that gets smelted down to make a type of impenetrable steel?

11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Normally I would agree with you, (and considered posting that link) but perhaps it's better to have a fresh thread that's not bogged down with the
    baggage of what was/should/should not have been. Too many angry posts on all sides, why not a clean slate? Many of us non EU followers are curious about this "New Canon' too, and this could be a good start.

12. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014

I kinda hope they change it a little...the idea that:

(spoilers for Plagieus)

the idea that Plagieus is still alive during the events of TPM and even witnesses Sidious interacting with Maul is very strange to me.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.