main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Stuff you wish the EU had gotten to?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ackbar's Fishsticks, Apr 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as you cared for it, screw everyone else.

BoromirsFan and Envoy of Solanus like this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    While I'll be the first to admit that yes, there are some things in the EU I'm glad to see wiped out, I think the real reason a lot of people don't seem that upset is just that they'd already come to terms with it before the official announcement. It was pretty clear this was going to happen right from the moment the ST was announced, and I think a lot of people who are calm now were upset then.

3. Riv_Shiel

Riv_Shiel Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2014
    Welcome to Lit. The overwhelming majority of us here don't think your childhood sucked (maybe parts of it, but not overall) - that's why we're here!

4. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    This has little or no bearing on the world established in the EU and could just as well be done in the New EU, but - Leia before ANH, goddammit. TWO 'Tales' comics which detail her teenage years, ascendancy to the Senate, experience with the Empire etc is just not enough.

Gamiel and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    More on the Great Hyperspace War. We still only have what TOTJ told us.

Envoy of Solanus and Gamiel like this.
  6. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Pretty sure LTOTS and Crosscurrent elaborated on it a bit.

Ghost likes this.
  7. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
  8. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, I pretty much figured out from the moment the sequels were announced that it would happen - TCW gave us a clue how little the people turning out new visual media (before or after Lucas) gave a crap about preexisting books.

Hope springing eternal, I just maintained some hope that I was wrong... and a somewhat more justified hope that at least they wouldn't wipe out the entire EU.

As for the "stories will always exist" consolation - well, obviously. No one was literally worried about that. But the universe they existed in is over. Having more Star Wars novels expanding the stories of my favorite characters, locations, epics, etc (which what we see in the movies was only a part of) is something I've had to look forward to since before I was a teenager. Even with the flow of novels slowing to a trickle in the last few years, and the "main" storyline going to $#!t in LOTF, FOTJ and (IMHO) Legacy, the last few years still managed to turn out gems like Plagueis, Mercy Kill and Scoundrels. That's not happening anymore, the bulk of that universe of stories is over and done with, and that's something to mourn any way you slice it.

9. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    LucasFilm did a pretty good job of killing my investment in the Expanded Universe over the past few years. True some stuff they released was worth reading, but my relationship with the Expanded Universe went from a committed one to an off and on, love-hate one. Consequently, when I saw the Disney announcement, I was actually excited by it despite the immediate implications, because my interest in Star Wars as a whole had pretty much burned out to a smoldering ember. I probably wouldn't be posting here if that didn't happen, because I was sure as hell uninterested in Sword of the Jedi or really any Legacy era product to come. That era has been systematically scorched and salted since 2006. And that is the foundation of the "continuing story," and there's only so many Darth Plagueis and Kenobi style novels.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is not like they really cared so much in the first place. There was an illusion of continuity but when it comes down to it so was it many time just name dropping followed by more-or-less ignoring what had actually happened in the original story. And that’s when they did not just ignore some earlier stories.

Envoy of Solanus and Thuro like this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    A Freedon Nadd novel. Freedon Nadd was tragically underdeveloped.

DarthJenari and Iron_lord like this.
  12. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Yep. Naga Sadow and Exar Kun both got to appear in and star in their own stories. Freedon Nadd was already dead when he appeared, and his story was told through a flashback. I would have loved to see him conquer Onderon and establish his dynasty, something similar to seeing Bane establish the Order of the Sith Lords. It's nice to see villain protagonists every now and again, if only to mix things up.

darklordoftech likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I wanted a more in-depth look at Freedon Nadd the Jedi. He basically got trolled to the dark side by his own Jedi Master(s).

14. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah Nadd got trolled hard.

15. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Via wookieepedia

Four hundred years before the outbreak of the Great Sith War, Freedon Nadd appeared on the Jedi Library world of Ossus to begin his Jedi training. Upon his initial arrival, the Jedi Masters on Ossus were astounded by the level of knowledge and proficiency that Nadd demonstrated through his use of the Force. Likewise, the Masters were also impressed with his openness and efforts to attain universal harmony. Under the guidance of his teachers, Nadd learned to willingly trust in the Force and to immerse himself in its fabrics.[2] Many of the Masters on Ossus actively took part in Nadd's training, including the progenitor of the Great Jedi Library, Odan-Urr himself.[8] Nadd's teachers all agreed that he would become a Jedi Master far sooner than any other student who had come before him—if not in technique, then in understanding of the Force.[2]

Nadd's first test, however, came in an unexpected form when the time arose to grant several apprentices the rank of Jedi Knight. He fully believed that his own promotion to Knight was imminent, but was shocked when the Masters passed over him entirely. With their final decision made, Nadd's universe seemed to collapse around him. As he dwelt on the situation, feelings of hurt and despair began to cloud his mind. He could not understand why the Masters had not graduated him as a reward for all of the progress and hard work he had demonstrated during his time on Ossus. The fact that he had been denied the rank of Jedi Knight caused an enormous internal conflict to take place within Nadd's mind.

...yeah. And from what I remember afterwards, when he sought out his Master for advice she didn't offer anything more than a reprimand, basically telling him to figure it out for himself, before drawing him into a duel. I never understood exactly what his problem was, and why he was passed over for Knighthood initially. The part I bolded above sounds more like he was the ideal candidate for Knighthood if anything, and that unlike say Anakin Skywalker he wasn't even arrogant or domineering about it, being able to understand and trust in the will of the Force. I agree, Nadd got trolled.

16. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Maybe they wanted to see how he'd react to being passed up, and he failed. :p

17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    All of the above - it would have been a great opportunity to introduce a gazillion new weird alien races.

The Fel story is an important gap, I think. And more Zahn is always welcome for me.

I'd like to see a story from the perspective of a non-Force sensitive civilian. I think it would make a great POV.

I'd also like the EU have a sense of humour, and tell the whole lot from C3PO and R2D2's perspective. 3,000 pages of laughing your socks off never hurt anyone.

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
  19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Tales of the Dark Time - a collection of short stories were we follow jedi on the run from the empire and dying heroically, dying tragically and deciding to survive by joining the Empire.

Tales of the New Jedi Order - a collection of short stories were we follow Luke's students either as jedi or training to be. Preferably taking place before NJO.

The Nagai-Tof-New Republic war

gracesonnet and Iron_lord like this.
  20. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    A person who is "barely" considered my friend loves to hate on the EU. On one instance he linked a wookiepedia article about breasts or something sexual and asked "how much autism is required to write this".

Needless to say he has a very sour outlook on life, and is in the process of being kicked out of his apartment because his friends are fed up with him.

Even when I offered the best EU to him he refused. You just have to accept that some people are close minded and refuse to change or accept new things.

21. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    More stories in the NJO era, expanding the galaxy, showing other Jedi, other aliens, characters etc.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Thank you! There's lots of questions surrounding if and to what extent he killed Naga Sadow and how he ended up working for Marka Ragnos.

23. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    I'd be really interested in a Tales from Order 66 where the only rule is that an original Jedi character has to have been killed by clone troopers by story's end.

24. First Of My Name

First Of My Name Jedi Master star 1

Apr 28, 2014
    More Tales novels would have been great... I can see it in my head:

-Tales of the Dark Times/Order 66, as mentioned above
    -Tales of the Clone Wars
    -Tales of the Yuuzhan Vong War
    -Tales of the Old Republic
    -Tales of the Legacy Era (In Cade's time, not LOTF/FOTJ)
    -And then an anthology that features Jedi, in stories that take place at various points on the timeline, between Into the Void and Crucible. Basically one or two stories set in each era, and then the book charts the evolution of the Jedi Order.
    -Then the same idea, but with Sith.
    -And also an anthology that features the 'little people' of the GFFA and you see what their lives are like . I think that would have a lot of potential. Imagine the stories: a family struggling to escape Coruscant when it's attacked by the Vong, someone's fearful last moments on Alderaan, a guy in the dark times who's hiding away a Jedi in his basement when the Imperials come knocking. And some quieter tales in the tradition of MedStar.
    -And then an anthology where each story focuses on a different culture of Force-users: Nightsisters, Fallannassi, exc.

There was so much potential there! Why didn't they make more of these books, I would have devoured them...

25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    A book that gives us info on the years between Crucible and the Legacy comics.
    Probably said this before but it bears repeating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.