main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

stupid question

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by smellyouvediscovered, Jun 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smellyouvediscovered

smellyouvediscovered Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2004
    in the beginning of ANH vader chokes the guy physically while asking that great question that he knows hes not going to get an answer to "if this is a consulate ship, where is the ambassador?"
    my stupid question is why does he force-choke everyone else? did george decide that wasnt cool enough? i love that scene

2. JK33

JK33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2003
    I don't think it's a stupid question. Actually, it's a good one. I don't really have the answer, but I'm not sure there's a reason, either. My opinion is this:

No one knew what the Force was in 1977; it was created only after Ben semi-explained it to Luke a bit later in the film. If GL created a new, odd looking character (Vader), and had him choking people for no apparent reason (few would catch on that he's using his mind, if any), it might have confused people and turned them away from the film...

Ben explains the lightsaber before it's used, too; had Vader stormed onto the ship with it, people would have gone, "What is that glowing stick?"

Best explain something new and original before showing it off....

3. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    i guess thats a good way to look at it. it just seems out of character a little bit. how often do jedi or sith get physical like that (sans lightsaber). how cool would the scene have been if vader was force-choking him and the guy was levitating like that. mmmm i smell ANH edit

4. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    I think it was probably because all the other people he force-choked were not within his immediate reach. The guy he physically chokes is within arm's length, so he must have figured using the force to choke him would be pretty redundant since all he has to do is reach out and grab him.

5. DGUCK

DGUCK Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2004
    Also, he was interrogating the guy and probably wanted to look him in the eye while asking about those plans. Force-choking is scary and all, but that is insignificant when compared to fear that Darth Vader can put in you face to face.

6. b-wingmasterburnz

b-wingmasterburnz Jedi Master star 3

May 27, 2004
    Perhaps it was also to show the audience that messing with Vader isn't a good idea. He means business.

7. Shadow-Sith

Shadow-Sith Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2003
    I always thought it was a show of physical strength.

8. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not to mention that it's his robotic right arm, which is probably pretty darn strong...just to put any thoughts of resitance out of the minds of the other Rebels.

And c'mon, the first scene usage of the Force Choke in pretty creepy when you think about it...

9. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Let's not forget the very important cut-scene that shows how tall Vader is compared to this man. That's difficult to portray with a simply Force choke. ;)

10. Embargo

Embargo Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2004
    Good answers....and...its "consular", not consulate. :D

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's very Vader...he could use the Force to lift the man off his feet if he wanted, but it's much more in-character when he grabs the guy by the throat instead. More satifying I guess ;)

12. kdogg273

kdogg273 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2004
    At the time of the first choking, Vader was actually pissed that his Vader-O's idea wasn't marketed the right way. The Empire didn't have the resources that GL had when Phantom came out to market everything under the Tatooine suns. So, he's basically just upset about that and had to take his agression out on somebody. Thus the line "There'll be no one to stop us this time!"

:p

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    It's very in-character for Vader to do that.

14. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    bib name ONE other time vader touches somebody in the OT

thank, embargo i knew i was close but off

15. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Hmm...shoving Boba's gun away in ESB?

16. smellyouvediscovered

Jun 3, 2004
    thanx, damond i really couldnt think of one. you can tell by the topic im bored. any more? besides lightsabre?

17. IceCreamMakerGuy

IceCreamMakerGuy Jedi Youngling

May 30, 2004
    Hmm, he holds Leia while Alderaan is destroyed.

He physically picks up & tosses Sidious to his doom.

18. CommanderConrad

CommanderConrad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2003
    And right after that he holds Luke's hand.

19. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    you guys are right though, vader is HUGE and it is scary when you stand before him and see that black mask, even if no one is behind it.

BTW, i have stood before Lord Vader, at Magic of Myth a few years back, it was kinda scary esp since maully is right infront of him and they have a kinda 'staring contest'

20. darth_side_returns

darth_side_returns Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2004
    I agree that it is used to show Vader's physical strengh, but also...

Notice when he is force-choking everyone, he seems to be angry, yet in control. Seems to me that when he is physically choking the guy, he was much more emotional and basically losing his temper.

And frankly, like some other had said, if Vader was talking to the guy and he just started choking for no apparent reason, we would have been wondering what was going on. Later, when it's in a more controlled environment, it's easier to see what Vader is doing when he uses the force.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.