main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Subject: Your the Only Place, Novel One: The Years As His Padawan (Qui-Gon fic) 5/11 Chap.14

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by PadawanofQui-Gon, Aug 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Well thought out. The conversations are very interesting. They make you want to read on.

I liked this section. It includes a good description of Qui-Gon.....

She got out of the water an hour later, grabbed her boots and utility belt, and paded down the familiar wooded trail that led to the Room of the Thousand Fountains. Ever since she had been little, she had loved it and had gone there often between classes and private tutorials. She was rather surprised when she got to her favorite spot to find her Master sitting there, bearded chin resting in his hands, his eyes focused on the Fountains as they cascaded down endlessly, a far off look on his leonine features.

This section is very emotional and portrays Cordine?s highly sensitive and her concern towards Qui-Gon.....

Cordiné tightened her arms around her Master protectively. He was fragile, one wrong word to make him cascade deeper into the torment he was dishing out for himself. Gods, hear my prayer. Help me to know what to say to my beloved Master. He is much turmoil right now and I do not know how to comfort him. Please help me... A tear slid down her cheek and into Qui-Gon's chocolate brown hair. "Come on... we best get you back to the apartment. It wouldn't do for anyone else to see you like this."

2. PadawanofQui-Gon

PadawanofQui-Gon Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 26, 2003
    Thank you. Thank you, again. mille gratzi

Knew that would be appreciated.

I am glad it potrayed what I wished. [face_dancing]

3. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    Update soon? Please[face_praying]

4. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    sorry it took so long, I have been up to camp and before that I was extremely busy getting ready for it. aaand here it is finally!!!!

Chapter Six: Day One of the Tracking Mission

A
    ren't you going to ask 'Are we there yet?' " Qui-Gon looked at his rather silent Padawan.

Cordiné laughed and shook her head softly. "No. As a Bene Gesserit, patience is a vurtue. Besides, it's fasinating enough watching the stars fly past."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Well, two more minutes and we'll be there."

"Tell me again about where we're going Master."

"A wonderous planet, so full of lush green things that you fall in love with it right from the start." Qui-Gon smiled.

"Though a planet of beauty is not without danger." Jedi Master Galahan replied dryly. Like most eaglefolk who were Jedi, he wore only pants, his utility belt onto which was clipped his lightsaber and comlink, and no shirt. He had a stong jaw, a sharply hooked nose, broad and muscular shoulders, large yellow-rimmed eyes, and his long soft brown hair was tied back with a silver cord. He wore no shoes, and his long toe nails could change into talons at will.

"I was just getting there Galahan." Qui-Gon pulled them out of hyperspace and began desending to the planet, which looked like a turquoise jem. "Ragoon 6 has many prediators and many dangerous trails. It also has many flooding caverns and jagged rocks." He landed on a plateu covered in long green grass and flowers. The plateu looked over many meadows, forests and dales.

"But the dangers are worth the beauty I see before me." Cordiné sighed with content.

Galahan smirked as the boarding ramp lowered. "Well said, well said. You will give me an hour's headstart, then start tracking me. May the Force be with you." He shouldered his pack and lept down onto the grassy plateu. Then he took a winding path downward, humming merrily to himself.

Cordiné looked at Qui-Gon when Galahan was out of ear shot. "Is he always like that?"

"Like what?" Qui-Gon asked absently as he locked up the ship.

"A sarcastic know-it-all."

"Oh yes, he is like that most of the time." Qui-Gon chuckled. "But there are times when you see the true Galahan."

"And what's he like? ...The true Master Galahan, that is." Cordiné polished her lightsaber hilt slowly.

"He's strict but fair, he's sarcastic but a "ladies' man"-when he wants to be-, he's a snarling nexu on the outside but a gentle aark on the inside, and he appears to act before he thinks but in actuality he sees the truth more quickly than most Jedi."

Cordiné laughed. "Master Galahan a "ladies' man"? That would explain why I see so many women Jedi hanging on his every word."

"So you've seen Galahan work his charm, have you?" Qui-Gon laughed too. "Yes, some women flock to eaglemen for some reason."

"I don't. Master Galahan is old enough to be my father!"

Qui-Gon grinned. "And who would you flock to, Padawan?"

Cordiné hid a blush as she clipped her lightsaber to her belt. "No one yet. I am too young to be thinking of that sort of thing at the moment. And besides, aren't Jedi forbidden to love?"

Qui-Gon's brows furrowed as he rubbed his bearded chin thoughtfully. "Attachment is forbidden, possesion is forbidden, but compassion is central to a Jedi's life." He looked at her, his fathomless blue eyes intense. "Do you know what the word compassion means, Padawan?"

Cordiné felt slightly light-headed as she nodded. "Compassion means to have sympathy for the suffering of others, often including a desire to help... it could also be considered as unconditional love."

Qui-Gon looked impressed. "That is correct. Without compassion, we Jedi would be no different than ordinary people with extraordinary talents. Ordinary people can be compassionate to their fellow men, but it often has to be encouraged by example. That is why we as Jedi must show through our actions, rather than our words, that we are compassionate to all those around us who are in need of it."

"And give everyone the benefit of

5. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I enjoyed Qui-Gon's discussion of attachment and what it means to be a Jedi.

"Attachment is forbidden, possesion is forbidden, but compassion is central to a Jedi's life."-- Somehow this just didn't anwser Cordiné's question on love. LOL

6. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    glad you liked it :)

o' course it didn't, he's letting her figure the answer out for herself. :D

7. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    That's what makes Qui-Gon such a good teacher.

A student is less likely to learn if you just give them the information. They are far more likely to learn the lesson if you let them figure it out for themselves.

8. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    yes, he is in deed a great teacher.

exactly my friend, exactly.

9. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Ohhh the famous training planet! I so loved hearing about this place in the JA books :) shoot I think even Obi takes Anakin there once in the JQ books.

Loved how Qui told her about that talk ;) compassion :D wonderful emotion! :D

Ahhh he has mentioned Senator Lanster! ;) Glad to see that she might get to meet her :) one politician that isn't corrupt :D

10. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    Mwhaha, yep. Yes, Obi-Wan does.

Glad you did ;) yep :D yay! :D

Yep! ;) Oh, she will, trust me ;) yep :D

11. luvqui-gon_gurl

luvqui-gon_gurl Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 28, 2003
    Awww, Tahl cheated on Qui-Gon? That's so sad! I've always been a follower of the whole Qui-Gon/Tahl thing...but oh well, this is a beautiful fanfic, and I like Cordine :D !!! I'm lost though...how old is she in this fanfic?

~luvqui-gon_gurl

12. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    Yes, sadly she did. thanksies :) she's fourteen right now.

aaand now chappie seven [face_mischief]

Chapter Seven: Day Two of the Tracking Mission

C
    ordiné was woken by her Master gently shaking her and calling her name. They had a quick breakfast of protein cubes and rations before the stone was removed from the entrance to the cave and the two set out in the cold pre-dawn.

They walked a little ways until they reached some trees. Cordiné shivered slightly in the cold mist and pulled her hooded robe closer around her. She crouched and examined the ground where some leaves had been disturbed. "He was here."

Qui-Gon leaned over her shoulder and nodded. "Yes. He must have started off at the same time we did."

Cordiné straightened. "How far do you think he is?" She scanned the horizon hopefully for the shadowed figure of Master Galahan.

Qui-Gon shook his head. "He could be miles away by now, Padawan."

Cordiné sighed softly to herself. "Onward it is then."

Qui-Gon nodded. "Onward it is." He put a companionable hand on her shoulder and began leading her down the trail.

Cordiné allowed him to lead her down the wooded trail, marveling that ever since they had arrived here, his countenance had brightened considerably and his entire focus was on the task before him. She smiled slightly. All because I went to Master Yoda for help... this was definitely a good idea.

About noon they stopped to have lunch near the bank of a lake that was fed by numberless near by waterfalls. The sun glittered on the lake like golden liquid, the cloudless blue sky was mirrored in the deep water of the lake, birds sang to one another up in the abundant folliage of the countless trees around the lake, and a soft breeze made the leaves of the trees stir as it gently caressed the two Jedi.

"This is paradise, is it not, Padawan?" Qui-Gon asked, stretching out on the lush green grass.

Cordiné smiled, looking at the picturesque scenery before her. "Yes, Master. It is indeed paradise. Only one thing could make it even more so." Her blue-gray eyes sparkled mischieviously.

Qui-Gon arched an eye brow at his young Padawan. He was reminded of his own youthful escapades whenever he saw that mischievious sparkle in her eyes. "And that would be..?"

"To go swimming in that tempting-looking lake, of course." Cordiné grinned.

Qui-Gon laughed. "Let us do just that!" He took off his boots and utility belt.

Cordiné followed suit and Master and Padawan waded into the pleasantly cool water.

Immersing themselves in the heavenly water, they began swimming about. Under water were many strange green plants and water life to be explored. Each plant varried in size, shade of green, and pattern of the leaves as one flower will vary another. There were many shelled water creatures grazing on the rare plants, others were unshelled and rather like slimy Hutts, and still others were thin and long and looked as if they were flying through the water with their fins.

Cordiné's Bene Gesserit danger senses tingled and she looked about for the source. Her eyes widened and she surfaced quickly. "MASTER!!!!"

Qui-Gon, who had been examining a strange plant growing on a tree root that extended up from the water, turned his head immediately to his Padawan.

"OUT OF THE WATER, QUICK!!!!" Cordiné began running towards the bank.

Qui-Gon did not hesitate for a moment and began running as well.

Master and Padawan met on the safety of the bank, dripping wet and catching their breath.

"What was it, Padawan?" Qui-Gon asked once he had regained control of his breath.

Cordiné trembled slightly as she pointed back at the water and said simply, "Look."

Qui-Gon looked back to where she was pointing... and there in the water was the long, curving shape of the poisonous and meat-eating loki, the most dangerous and cruel of water creatures ever known in the galaxy. Automatically pulled her into his arms, putting himself slightly between her and the water as the loki slithered on.

Cordin

13. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Ha! Good thing Cordine sensed that loki creature before it got close to either of them! Interesting prediction of the future that Cordine received. Wonder how the man will be :D :D

Lovely post PadawanofQui-Gon. :)

14. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    Yeah I know *shudders*. Mwhaha, yesss. I believe you mean who, Leona dear ;) ... if you haven't figured it out yet, you'll find out MUCH later in this fic.

Thank you very, very much Healer_Leona [:D]

15. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    Wow... that dream/vision of her's... man! That Loki was scary!!!

I know how it comes to be later on...but not what leads up to it. I'm soooo gonna enjoy how it leads up to it :D

Thanks for the PM! [:D] Hope things are going well for you!

16. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing..? :confused: yes, it was... I got freaked out when I reread that part...

You're welcome! [:D] Yeah... reasonably well, seeing as I like someone else now. So... when are we going to start the AU again? :D

17. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Good work. I liked these parts a lot...

Ragoon 6 has many prediators and many dangerous trails. It also has many flooding caverns and jagged rocks." He landed on a plateu covered in long green grass and flowers. The plateu looked over many meadows, forests and dales.

About noon they stopped to have lunch near the bank of a lake that was fed by numberless near by waterfalls. The sun glittered on the lake like golden liquid, the cloudless blue sky was mirrored in the deep water of the lake, birds sang to one another up in the abundant folliage of the countless trees around the lake, and a soft breeze made the leaves of the trees stir as it gently caressed the two Jedi.

Immersing themselves in the heavenly water, they began swimming about. Under water were many strange green plants and water life to be explored. Each plant varried in size, shade of green, and pattern of the leaves as one flower will vary another. There were many shelled water creatures grazing on the rare plants, others were unshelled and rather like slimy Hutts, and still others were thin and long and looked as if they were flying through the water with their fins.

18. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    thanks, Keeper :)

19. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    my apologese for taking so long, I have been really busy and didn't have enough inspiration to really type anything. finally here it is! I do hope you enjoy it.

~PoQ

Chapter Eight: Day Three of Tracking Mission

C
    ordiné... Cordiné... Time to wake up." Qui-Gon's voice called softly.

Cordiné opened her eyes and smiled up at her Master. He looked rather handsome with his features and brown hair lit by the rising sun shining through a carved window. "Time to go?"

Qui-Gon nodded, making his hair shimmer like brown silk in the sunlight. "Yes."

Cordiné sat up, put her socks and boots on, and stood. "Let's go then."

Qui-Gon smiled. "Aren't you forgetting something, Padawan?"

Cordiné raised an eye brow. "What could I possibly forget?" She glanced around the simple room for anything she could have forgotten.

Qui-Gon chuckled and pointed to her still tosseled hair. "Unless you want to go out into Ragoon 6 looking like that, I suggest you brush your hair."

Cordiné's cheeks reddened slightly at the obvious. She should have guessed. She brushed her hair until it was smooth, then smiled. "Is that better?"

Qui-Gon smiled back. "Yes it is." He led her quietly out of the house and back onto the trail of Master Galahan.

Cordiné looked sceptically at the right fork in the road that they came to about six miles outside the small town. "Are you sure this is the way he went, Master?" She sniffed the air for any sign of the eagleman's scent.

Qui-Gon pointed to a nearby tree. "Notice how the branches are missing a few leave and the branches are slightly bent?"

Cordiné nodded. "Yes."

"That's the carefully concealed sign that an eagleman has slept there. Only Master Galahan would do that." Qui-Gon explained. "Normal eaglemen do not bother to conceal where they have slept."

"I see." Cordiné reached out with her Bene Gesserit senses and listened as the tree tell of how some considerate man had slept up in its branches and then had headed on down the trail. She smiled. "Lesson learned."

Qui-Gon laughed and put an arm around her. "Excellent, Padawan. Just remember you cannot always rely on your sense of smell."

Cordiné grinned. "Right."

They took the right fork in the road and headed down the trail in pursuit of Master Galahan once again. Luck seemed to be on their side as they walked swiftly, following the evidence Master Galahan left behind.

The sun rose higher and higher in the sky as they walked on, only stopping for a quick lunch of protein cubes and rations under the shade of a large tree before traveling on. Strange animals would often scurry across the trail and birds could be heard singing high up in the trees, sometimes diving down to try to catch one of the animals for a meal. Afternoon whisked by as the trail climbes higher and the trees became lesser.

By evening, the duo had donned their cloaks and were crunching through a foot of snow, Master Galahan's trail very easy to follow now. They caught him by surprise at the top peak of the mountain.

Galahan laughed as they walked back down the mountain. "Congratulations, you really did surprise me. I expected you to be further behind."

Cordiné grinned. "Never assume anything."

"My goodness, Qui-Gon... I do believe you're starting to rub off on your Padawan." Galahan teased.

Qui-Gon laughed. "You think so, do you?" His eyes sparkled with mirth. He punched the code for the ship to come to them on his data pad.

Galahan snorted. "Of course I do."

A few minutes later, the ship came into sight, humming as it hovered over the grass. It landed before them and lowered its boarding ramp. The Jedi climbed aboard.

Cordiné sank into the chair behind the pilot seat. "Thank goodness for modern technology. I don't think I'd want to hike all the way back to where the ship was in this weather." She glanced out the window at the snow that was now falling around the ship.

Qui-Gon laughed. "Indeed, Padawan... indeed."

Galahan smiled. "This is not as bad as some planets

20. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Yay, more here.

He is more fond of you than he will ever be of this old ship

"You will understand the full meaning in time, young one."

Hmmm, wonder what's all about??? [face_thinking] [face_thinking]

21. Kynstar

Mar 2, 2004
    That was a cool bit there! :D Uh oh Galahan seeing something there is he? [face_mischief]

Great update! :D Hope your holidays went well!!

(Is it your turn or mine for that Alt AotC/RotS bit that we're PMing each other for? If it's mine... [face_blush] could you re-PM me it? I'd be much abliged if ya would! [face_batting] )

22. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    Leona you'll find out in time ;) *giggles*

KynLOL, yes he is ;)

thanks! they went fairly well... New Year new luck

(I think it's yours... I'll go check and do that promtly, m'lady! :D )

23. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    I will post next chappie soon, just having a slight prob with time to type it and writer's block. I haven't forgotten it, I promise!

24. PadawanofQui-Gon

Oct 26, 2003
    aaaaaand here it be, finally!!!! sorry it took so long, I was so busy and had no real muse to type all that much. hope this makes up for it. :D

Chapter Nine: Meeting Senator Corina Lanster

C
    ordiné contrived to look beautiful, being very nervous about meeting a Senator. She was finally satisfied with how she looked and joined her Master at the door to their appartment. He too looked as thought he had taken a little time to look handsome, with his hair combed until it looked like chocolate silk. My hands itch to touch his hair, but I dare not. She thought behind all her barriers.

"Shall we, Padawan?" Qui-Gon asked, gesturing to the door.

Cordiné nodded. "Let's."

Qui-Gon lead the way out of the Jedi temple, and down several walkways before the Imperial palace rose before them, a towering pinnacle of shining silver. Once inside, up the hydrolift they went to level twenty-four. Across the corridor he lead Cordiné and then stopped at a door that was unlike any other in the building. It had a dark red wood serving as the door instead of metal and it had graceful, intricate letters of a language that was unfamiliar to Cordiné bordering a tree with stars for leaves carved into the wood.

Qui-Gon tapped on the door.

The door swung open to reveal a beautiful woman of thirty with long light golden hair and deep blue eyes. She smiled, a friendly glow coming from her. "Qui-Gon Jinn, I was beginning to wonder when you would come see me. Come in." She ushered them inside.

"As my old Master has no doubt told you, I have been very busy since I became a Jedi Knight." Qui-Gon replied. "I have a Padawan now, as you can see."

"He mentioned it in passing." The woman's smile widened. "I can indeed. Senator Corina Lanster." She held out a hand to Cordiné.

"Cordiné Adelina." Cordiné replied, shaking the Senator's hand. "I've heard a great deal about you from my Master."

"You have, have you?" Corina laughed. "That doesn't surprise me. He's seen me on and off since he was chosen by Master Dooku all those years ago. Time flies when you're busy like me."

Cordiné nodded. "I can imagine. How long have you been a Sentator?"

Corina chuckled. "Sixteen years and still going strong. Politics is a necessary evil, I'm afraid. Most Senators these days are corrupted by power and money." She shook her head sadly. "The Senate is not what it once was. But yet without it, the Republic would not be able to function properly."

Qui-Gon chuckled. "Yes, corruption is in many governments all over the galaxy, but it is most corrupt at the center of the galaxy."

Cordiné frowned. "But why?"

Corina smiled sadly. "I'm afraid there are more forces of evil than good at the center of the galaxy, my dear young one. Morso now than when I was your age."

Cordiné looked at Qui-Gon.

Qui-Gon was smiling sadly as well. "Sad and hard truth that you will soon learn, young Padawan."

"But we're good." Cordiné protested.

"Yes we are, and as long as there is good there is strength. We are the examples of the galaxy." Qui-Gon paused, carefully thinking up his next words. "Just as the stars shine with their own light, so do those who are good. Those who see it and wish to be like us, will follow the light and gain light of their own. Soon they too will be shining stars in the dark galaxy. Those who do not wish to do so only hurt themselves and bring themselves deeper into the dark abyss they have woven for themselves."

"Your Master speaks the truth." Corina agreed softly. "Mark it and remember it well. Not all the gold glitters and all that glitters is not gold. In time, you will understand. With a Master like Qui-Gon, you will learn them in no time. He is a great Jedi."

Cordiné smiled. "I know. I trust him and he trusts me. We have been through a great deal and will no doubt go through a great deal more before the end of my training."

Corina smiled back. "You are wise beyond your years, Cordiné." She patted Cordiné's shoulder. "It will serve you greatly

25. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    He too looked as thought he had taken a little time to look handsome, with his hair combed until it looked like chocolate silk.

Mmmm, I can understand why she'd want to touch it. :D

Cordiné snorted. "You two are the old scholars, I'm still a young child."

Awww, I liked her master's complimenting her after this. [face_love] [face_love]

Womderful that you've not given up on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.