PT Subtle (and Not-So-Subtle) Comedy in TPM

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Cryogenic, Sep 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
  1. WatTamborWoo Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    It's already been mentioned but...
    "Viceroy! I don't want that stunted slime in my sight again"

Anything really with Daultey Dofine:
    "Send the droid!"
  2. GeneralCeel Jedi Master

star 2
    Are you kidding? Thats one of the great moments in all of star wars, from Coruscant bathed in purple sky, to the music, and then the intentionally ambiguous editing as Amidala turns just as Jar Jar mentions the army and Panaka enters with Palpatine. We are left to wonder if she's simply turned because visitors have entered the room... or if her despair, and ruminating over making the tough decision to return had suddenly been lifted when Jar Jar makes her realize that the Gungans have an army that can be used to free her planet. This is a turning point in the film, and a turning point for Amidala, the pacifist queen who has just decided to stand up and fight for her people and what is right.

Its my favorite moment in the film. Nothing funny about it at all.
  3. PrincessKenobi New Films Manager of DOOM

Manager
    star 6
    One of my favorite bits is actually a deleted scene/from the book. It's when Obi-Wan meets back up with Qui-Gon for the first time on Naboo and him getting chastised for his lightsaber not working because he forgot to turn it off in the swamp and he caused it to short out. While humorous it also added a bit more human side to jedi in general.
  4. JediofJade Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    This would be under the not-so-subtle heading: During the podrace, we see Jabba watching the race, and there are two little critters hopping around on the balcony ledge. Jabba raises a hand, pauses, and flicks one of them off the ledge. The scream you hear next...oh my goodness. The whole scene is, what, five seconds? But it never fails to make me nearly cry with laughter.
  5. Cryogenic Force Ghost

star 4
    Superb tribute to a superb scene. One of the things I like most about the scene is how it shows or hints at Jar Jar's latent understanding of things other people seem too caught up in their own concerns to consider. When he puts it to Amidala that he thinks the reason the Naboo dislike the Gungans is because the latter have a "grand army", he seems to indicate that he recognizes a desire in the Naboo to get away from violence, and that the Gungans uncomfortably remind them of what they're trying to leave behind. Recall, the Naboo only have "security volunteers", and Amidala says at the start that she will not condone a course of action that will lead them to war; a Gungan army, therefore, is really an affront to what the Naboo apparently stand for. Ironically, however, it's Jar Jar's mentioning of this army that appears to give Amidala the final push to leave Coruscant and return to Naboo, and she calls on him to help her make contact with a potential ally that now has real value to her.

Ah! Yes! This is a fun moment! And what about the part where Jabba rips the head off another one and spits it at the gong to start the race? Basically, the start of Anakin's race for freedom -- a freedom which turns out to be disillusioning; and, ultimately, destructive to the point of catastrophic -- is marked by an unfortunate amphibian being beheaded and violently expectorated at a crude piece of metal by a fat slug who is also a notorious gangster and lecherous harem owner. This sort of black humour is so layered that Lucas can call these "kids movies" and get away with it. Sort of.
  6. Sword_Of_Goliath Jedi Master

star 3
    I love all of the surrealist / absurdist humor in TPM. It's what really makes it completely different from everything else!
  7. JimRaynor55 Force Ghost

star 3
    I liked the part where the Trade Federation leaders are worried about the arrival of the Jedi. They're both too scared to go out themselves, so they say "Send a droid." The protocol droid standing next to them just gives them a surprised look. :)
  8. Ewan Force Ghost

star 3
    Darth Sidious standing with the heroes at the big celebration on Naboo, a huge smile on his face.
  9. -NaTaLie- Force Ghost

star 4
    I love dark irony in TPM. Other two prequels have it too but I think TPM is where it stands out the most because on the surface it's a lighthearted kids' movie.

From Anakin's "No one can kill a Jedi" to pretty much every scene with Senator Palpatine.
Moderators: Bazinga'd
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.