main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Subtle Gestures" in AOTC Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Sister_Sola, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vanthorne_OX

Vanthorne_OX Jedi Master star 3

Nov 11, 2002
    I watched AOTC again since this thread was posted and I remembered something I liked when I first saw it.

After Anakin starts telling Padme about the dreams of his mother, he turns his back and he lets out a convincing sigh. It's not just like <sigh>. It's convincing, I can't explain it better than that. Maybe it's convincing to me, because I sigh like that a lot. Oh well.

Carry on. :p

2. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    The meditation scene is absolutely wonderful. There are subtle musical attacks that hint at a foreboding nature with Anakin, and there's just something about that scene that gives me chills. It's subtle and very effective. The way Anakin talks with his eyes closed, and his breathing, it's just really haunting... and the morning sunlight atmosphere, of course, not to mention the colors used- you have a very dryly designed balcony, yet there are prospering, green and red flowers as well. Really a dramatic art design. The scene, everytime I watch it, makes me feel like it is morning outside, even if I watch it at midnight.

What does this have to do with subtle gestures? Well, subtle gestures doesn't have to come from the actors. The art design, and how it relates to the story can be very subtle, and even a gesture if you let your mind travel a bit.

3. Anakin_Kenobi21

Anakin_Kenobi21 Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2003
    A subtle gesture that I like is when Anakin is standing with his eyes closed, meditating. It's exactly the way Vader stood in ROTJ. Creepy.

Also, the way Dooku says "Master Windu...."; almost like he was getting anxious for him to arrive.

4. Falls_the_Shadow

Falls_the_Shadow Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2002
    Shmi in the Tusken camp caresses Anakin?s left cheek as she calls him her ?grown-up son.? When Shmi said farewell to Ani in TPM, she also caressed his left cheek.
    Mother is still mother and Pernilla August establised Hayden as her grown-up Ani with that one little gesture.

Darth_Goofy wrote: I love the way Anakin (especially when he meets Padmé again) wraps his cloak around himself like it's his blankie. It really shows us that he hasn't matured much since 9.

Good call! Recall in TPM, Padmé covered Ani up with a blanket in the Naboo ship. Of course, his Jedi robe is the only clothing from his Jedi days that he wears as Vader, too.

Pooja wrote: there's just something about that scene that gives me chills.
    The Meditation scene is uncomfortable because Anakin, standing astride, arms folded behind, framed by the two columns as he begins his search for Shmi is EXACTLY framed as Vader stands looking out the of his ship as he searches for Luke. The window is divided into three main sections. PadmeLeiaJaina first noticed this.

5. Darth_Saviour

Darth_Saviour Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2003
    I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but one that I like, and think is actually a noticable one, the scene near the beginning with Palpatine, and the jedi, Padme, Bail, and company come in and discuss the assasination attempts........Palpatine suggests Padme be put with Obi-Wan............the end of this scene. Mace tells Padme he will Obi-Wan report to her.........The look Palpatines gives as he walks back towards his desk........it is subtle but definitely tells you, that he's got something else going on......that he is up to something

6. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Heh heh, Palpatine has always got things going on. Gotta love his 'Hmm!' when the subject of proposing emergency powers for him is brought up.

7. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    When Palpatine suggests that Obi-Wan look after Padme, she says something like "Chancellor I don not think..."
    And then Palpatine finishes her sentence. Did he read her mind? Subtle hint at his powers maybe.

8. Darth_Fishius_

Darth_Fishius_ Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2003
    Well it was obvious what she was going to say there...

I too liked the way Palps walked with Anakin just off his shoulder, reminded me of ROTJ on the deathstar.

9. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Glad everyone's enjoying this thread - me too. I like all the moments mentioned above - Typho's smirk, Anakin's confused look after the first kiss, Obi-Wan's look in the arena as A&P arrive.

Yeah this movie gets better with every viewing - and considering I loved it the first time....

10. Etih-Sew

Etih-Sew Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2002
    In the scene where Yoda is meditating while Anakin goes choppy chop on the Sand People, the first time Yoda's eyes open you can tell he feels what Anakin's feeling...he looks crushed. Very sad moment...but then maybe I'm strange.

11. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The scene where Yoda senses Anakin's pain pretty much kills the theory that the puppet is "superior". Even as talented a puppeteer as Frank Oz is, there's no way in hell the puppet could have conveyed that much emotion in a single instant.

12. Etih-Sew

Etih-Sew Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 24, 2002
    Here here, Durwood....I heartily agree. :)

EDIT: Wow, I hope noone saw those spelling errors....

13. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    The Meditation scene is uncomfortable because Anakin, standing astride, arms folded behind, framed by the two columns as he begins his search for Shmi is EXACTLY framed as Vader stands looking out the of his ship as he searches for Luke. The window is divided into three main sections. PadmeLeiaJaina first noticed this.

Er, actually, it's something else for me. I recognized the Vader connection almost immediately, but there's just something in the atmosphere... the colors Lucas uses, and the time of day he chooses, along with the light rain and the glow the sun gives the lake of Naboo... remember, this is the last day the galaxy is truly at peace. The next day on, it's all in shambles until the end of Return of the Jedi.

14. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    The look Yoda gives is heartbreaking.
    Frank Oz did a terrific job voicing him. It complimented the look very well.
    I think the line, 'Young Skywalker is in pain. . . terrible pain. . .' speaks a thousand times better than an extended and unneccesary slaughter scene could.
    That whole scene has always given me chills.
    It's right up there with the binary sunset, start of the ESB duel, and when Vader turns on Palpatine.
    But, getting back on track about subtle things lol

15. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Alot of people seem to love the Binary Sunset but I cannot see the attraction of it, what is it?? The theme used in that shot worked wonders for me when Anakin took off to go find his mother.

16. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    That scene in ANH always brought a tear to my eye. I just love the contrast between Luke watching the binary sunset and Anakin. Luke is without a goal in his life, yearning for adventure, longing to leave his family. Anakin, on the other hand, has a mission in front of him--he's focused on getting Shmi back.

Back to subtle gestures: When Obi-Wan walks in on the younglings, Yoda gets their attention by banging on the floor with his gimer stick. It's something a teacher would do, but it's just so Yoda.

17. vampire-jing

vampire-jing Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    The scene when Anakin told Padme"I have to go"(to save Shimi),Padme said:"I'll go with you".

I noticed that the way she looked at him was very soulful.

18. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    Two more things I noticed from watching it just now:

1. During the arena sequence, Nute and his pal huddle behind a pillar in the stadium box the whole time. When the Jedi threat has been neutralized, they timidly slink back into view and hide behind a super battle droid.

2. During Dooku's return to Coruscant, when he passes over the planet, sections of the city are covered in clouds. In certain sections, lightning can be seen flashing.
    While a neat affect and a minute detail, I think it's just one more thing to really help set the whole mood of what's going on. A storm brewing and what not.

Forgot one. During various shots of the Jedi arena battle, you can see the Nexu's corpse. One particular moment I recall was when Anakin jumped up onto the cart Padme commandeered. Just a neat little attention to detail I thought.

19. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Thought of another one I've always liked:

In the Lars household, as Anakin says he's going to find his mother, and Cliegg tells him to accept that she's dead, I like the expression on Padmé's face as she looks up at Anakin in concern for what he's feeling, and then looks down in (what seems to me like) resignation. Like she's thinking she agrees with Cliegg, but knows that nothing's going to stop Ani from going.

And people complain about Natalie's poor acting - not a word is said in this little moment, yet so much is conveyed. (I think she's a fantastic actress - but that's another thread....)

20. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    I don't know if it's been mentioned but I like how when Shmi dies and Anakin looks up at the door where the Tusken Raiders are his lips and jaw seem to quiver like he's holding back to many emotions

21. That_Wascally_Droid

Jul 29, 2001
    He didn't hold 'em back for long did he? ;)

And I agree about Natalie. I just think she needs to get her energy up more often.
    Her emotion and character and everything are great though.
    The two best words Lucas could use on her (though I don't think he's an actor director meself) are: More Energy!
    Then I don't think anybody would have a problem with her :)

22. hansoloschinscar

hansoloschinscar Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2001
    Great thread guys. Gettin' better and better.

Anyway, two more scenes catch my eye both regarding CGI characters. In the scene on Kamino when Obi Wan tells Lama Su that Sifo Dias was killed, his head bows down and his eyes narrow out of seemingly genuine respect, but then he snaps up and goes back to business as usual. Also throughout his conversation with Obi Wan, Lama Su's hand gestures are so natural and nonchalant, you sometimes forget that the character actually came out of a computer. And another scene which is a subtle, yet cool marriage of real and CGI characters was when Anakin was being led to his pillar in the Geonosian arena and as he's talking to Obi Wan, the Geonosian guard nudges Anakin into place and anakin reacts to his nudge perfectly. It's the combination of live acting and digital acting that makes the movie all the more beleievable on a physical and emotional level.

23. YodasGroove

YodasGroove Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2003
    This is a great thread indeed!

I liked how Jango used the word "possibly".
    Obi Wan: Have you been to Courscant lately?
    Jango:...Possibly.
    *this scene was so tight, because not only of what little was said, but what wasn't said. the space between the words said it all. and the way Jango said Possibly.

I also liked how Obi Wan used the word "possibly".
    Anakin: Dont worry, I can sense everything that goes on in that room.
    Obi Wan: Your senses arent that attuned yet my young padawan learner.
    Anakin: And yours are?
    Obi Wan: ...Possibly.

good stuff.

24. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Yes I agree about the subtleties from all the CGI characters too - especially the Kaminoans; I honestly am so convinced of their physical 'reality'/solidity in the film that they still blow me away every time I see it.

Seeing them on IMAX was so incredible - they look REAL. Even that big, that sharp. Amazing work.

25. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Yes, the Obi-Wan/Jango meeting is a terrific example of understatement subtlety!

"I look forward to seeing your army in action."

"They'll do their job well. I personally guarentee it."

Great stuff indeed.

I also like young Bobba's obvious distrust of Obi-Wan. He gives Obi-Wan a hard look up and down before inviting him into his home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.