main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Subtle Gestures" in AOTC Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Sister_Sola, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Did anyone notice when Obi Wan's message is interrupted after the attack of the droidekas, Yoda looks up at Mace and camera clearly tries to show Mace is towering him. Then when Mace talks to Anakin, Mace's is small, seemingly looking up at Anakin who's like a giant. Interesting concept.

Anakin being larger than life, is the picture Im getting. Intentional I think.

2. sono-jedi

sono-jedi Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2002
    May I echo those who praise this thread...takes me back some years after the umpteenth viewing of ESB at the Northpoint in SF and sitting in the coffee shop across the street quasi-analyzing every moment in the film with friends. Thanks to all of you for that burst of warmth from the past...

Out of all the moments brought up in this discussion from AOTC that resonate for me, the one from the beginning of the film...."Dreams pass in time"....Damn! Not only does it perfectly coincide with Qui-Gon's "I wish it were so" line so well...it really illustrates the depth between Obi-Wan and his fallen master. Anyone who has suffered ANY kind of loss of someone near & dear to them....a mentor, a partner, a friend...has those moments,,,almost unconscious...of echoing that person somehow.
    As others have so well pointed out here...it's unbelievable that people can see this film and not be touched by the performances...it's the fact that so much is spoken with just geatures and seemingly simple phrases that make these films so immenitely watchable again and again...
    My favorite line of Anakin's is during the fireplace scene....professing his devotion to Padme he declares, "The thought of not being with you....I can't breathe!" Declaring love and foretelling his fate in a few simple words....wonderful.
    Okay...I'm ramblin' now....thanks again for this great thread, Sister_Sola!

3. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    A subtle link between AOTC Obi-Wan and ANH Obi-Wan is when he checks for the pulse of the fallen Jedi in the arena. This echoes/is echoed by Ben Kenobi checking for signs of life in Luke. I'm certain this link is intentional.

4. Hector

Hector Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 24, 2001
    With regard to Ree Yees's post: no one here has suggested that the other films don't have these kind of subtleties, or that they exist only in the PT. Rather, this is merely a thread which highlights the presence of such details in AOTC, and uses the subtleties in AOTC as a baseline for discussion of the other films -- Like Durwood's post above.

5. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    Durwood I didn't notice that one.

6. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Whoops, I just realized I called Qui-Dawn 'Obi-Dawn'. Sorry! 8-}

That's an interesting connection, Durwood, I never thought of it like that. :D

7. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Darth_Goofy - hey, that's okay! :D Truth be told, I think that one slipped by me....didn't really consciously notice. On the other hand, though, I *have* had people nickname me Obi-Dawn....so I do go by both. I just like the fact that it works either way. :D Tee hee!

Dawn.

8. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    Fair enough. :D Perhaps it was just a subtle gesture. 8-}

9. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    With regard to Ree Yees...

He's just looking for attention. It's best we ignore him.

10. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    It's still facinating to read all your thoughts.

Notice how Obi-Wan's prior recklessness still asserts itself from time to time, as he jumps through the window to grab onto the assassin droid?

Watch for the little nod and smile on his face as Elan Sleazabaggano decides to go home and re-think his life, too.

11. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    - another great, very real moment: when Mace Windu sneaks up behind Dooku, Poggle, Jango and the rest in the archduke's viewing box and ignites his saber right at Jango's throat....watch Boba's reaction - the saber's ignited, and Boba takes one split-second glance and *immediately* jumps behind Jango....edges right quick out of the way, out of danger....it's a small thing in itself, I suppose, but nonetheless very raw and honest - and, of course, precisely what one would expect of any child in that situation. Instinctively, he leapt behind his father for protection....well, his "father" in one way enough, at least, in that Jango taught him everything he knew. But that's beside the point. ;) I think it's yet more proof, though, of the kind of split-second reflexes that Jango obviously instilled in him....something that even all the Kaminoans' "combat education and training programs" likely could have ever done.

Clearly, then, there will always be some things that only a merciless, pitiless, feared deadly bounty hunter can teach a kid. :D To wit Boba eyeing Obi-Wan *extremely* suspiciously and warily when Obi made that unexpected visit on Kamino....and now, obviously - his reflexes, teaching and training - and again that instinctual thing as well, natch :) - when he takes one look at Mace holding the saber to his father's throat and has that reaction of "I am *so* not getting in the middle of this!"....and he backs right off. Great stuff! :)

Dawn.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Boba is definitely suspicious about Obi-Wan from the get-go.

13. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Quite agreed, to be sure, and I've no doubt that it's the kind of mindset Jango instilled in him from the earliest age; to be automatically cautious and suspicious of anyone and everyone else he may meet....not knowing if they may be friend or foe, or at least tacit ally, at any rate. Heck, I'm sure that Jango probably taught him something along the lines of....even when someone you meet *does* claim to be an ally, and seems to be acting like it, like a friend....that hardly means they're to be trusted, or believed in any way, shape or form. Suspicion because you never know who'll go from giving you a friendly pat on the back to slipping a knife into it....that's doubtless the very mentality that Jango made *more* than sure to instill in his son. And when you see just how quickly and readily Boba was obviously taking Jango's teachings to heart....deadly-serious, and he knew it....well, it's a mighty impressive thing to see.

No doubt that Boba, in that capacity, then....is *more* than worthy to take his father's place....though it's a sad, sad way for the poor kid to be thrust headlong into the cold, shifting, treacherous unforgiving galaxy....can't help but feel sorry for him in some ways. Which is also an impressive and, I find, fascinating thing as well.... :)

Dawn.

14. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    That reminds me of how much I love the look on Jango's face when Mace holds the sabre up to his neck. It's a look like "what the h*** do you think you're doing??"

15. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *giggles despite herself and grins at Sister_Sola* Ah, yes....true, very true. :) Definitely leads one to be all the more certain - as if we were ever in doubt before ;) - that Jango was *really* bluffing, heck, *lying* through his teeth when he commented about it being "Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi." Then again, I've always loved the way he said that....a wonderfully veiled threat right there, and yet said in the most on-the-surface, seemingly civil tone....smooth as silk, almost perfectly disingenuous....well, but for the calculating look in his eyes, of course, and that very slight, cold smile....heck, his whole demeanour then was very much like an angry, suspicious, bridling wolf ready to attack at a moment's notice....but for the time being, just barely holding itself back enough to bluff its way through instead. Oh, yes, I know I'm digressing muchly from my original point....but can you really blame me? ;) Guess it was never his pleasure to meet a Jedi after all! :D

Ahem.... Well, again, I dunno if this would count as a gesture per se, but I *did* pick up on it as a definite subtle moment....and since I'm already here....ah, what the heck, I might as well post it. :) Notice how, when the nexu leaps out of the gate, it's of course snarling and it's got its claws out and its teeth fully bared, and obviously means business....but watch very carefully what happens next; when the Geonosian picador zaps the nexu to get it goin', those huge, flexible spikes bristling up on the nexu's back, which were already up at attention....those hackles just shoot right up even more, very much like a cat's fur standing on end when it's afraid, angry, defensive....or about to lash out in any case. Agreed that this may seem like a very slight thing, to be sure, the bristling of the nexu's hackles just before it pounces on the picador....but for me, well....it's yet another thing that only reinforces the reality, and the presence, of these creatures.

I mean, really, at the core of it, they *are* just behaving precisely as we'd expect any creature to in that position....seems perfectly natural in my book! Still, I hugely enjoy noticing such things. No, really. ;)

- or what about this....it may be a bit hard to spot at first, but once you do see it, well, there's no mistaking it....take note of how, when the aiwha bursts up from the seas on Kamino....the Kaminoan riding it sits up, of course, once the aiwha gets up there....and then he tugs on the reins, or the leads, slaps them twice....a very natural and expected thing to do - a most usual thing in the most *unusual*, extraordinary place. And no matter what it may say about me, well....I *do* like spotting even the small stuff like this....always have and always will. And I also don't intend to stop. :D

- something else to take note of.... Pay close attention to the fact that, following the arena rescue after the gunships have landed, Anakin leaps right into the nearest one....and then the first thing he does, without hesitation or second thought, is to reach out, take Padme's hand, and pull her up after. It really has always struck me as a very courtly gesture, even in the heat of battle....for though they seem to be in the most hellish environment, and war and death are raging all around....still he only has eyes, heart and soul for her and her alone. Even then, she is still his biggest priority....and from even a small, very real and telling gesture like this one....you can discern even that much. Hey, *I* like it! :)

*has AOTC on even as she types this, so will leave it at that for now, for the time being at least....while she naturally goes to absorb oodles more wonderful subtleties to rave about later* I know everyone must be ever-so-pleased about that. :D

Dawn.

16. Jake_Barnes

Jake_Barnes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2002
    At the risk of going off-topic, the "Always a pleasure to meet a Jedi" phrase is particularly interesting. Given that in the PT hardly anyone has any real experience with the Jedi (--their reputation precedes them, in most cases), one is left to speculate on where and under what circumstances Jango "met" a Jedi. Could he be speaking from his experience with Dooku? Could Jango have been responsible for the death of Sifo-Dyas?

17. The_Abstract

The_Abstract Jedi Master star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    I need to learn to do the Jango face.

[image=http://www.sgtfretsurfer.com/Grilled-Sarlacc/s/i/g-77.jpg]

18. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    I think there is something on the official site about this. Something about the Jedi wiping out the Mandalore, so it explains Jangos' disgust towards Jedi.

I know I hate Nazi's even though I've never met one. If Jango and Boba are brought up with a history of how the Jedi wiped out their people then they'll hate them as well.

19. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    Now, now, Qui-Dawn, why are you grinning at me? Because of my shameless upping of this thread? [face_blush]

Who can blame me for wanting to keep something positive going? :D

I've seen so many new nuances mentioned in this thread that I haven't noticed before, that I'm storing them all up to watch for in my next viewing of AOTC!

20. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Jango said, "It's always a pleasure to meet a Jedi," but what he meant was, "You cross me, son, and I'll take you out, Jedi or not." And without saying a word, Obi-Wan replied, "I don't think so."

21. Jake_Barnes

Jake_Barnes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2002
    Jango said, "It's always a pleasure to meet a Jedi," but what he meant was, "You cross me, son, and I'll take you out, Jedi or not." And without saying a word, Obi-Wan replied, "I don't think so."

Very subtle, indeed. However, shouldn't he be as wary of a Jedi as (nearly) everyone else in the galaxy? I understand that Jango continually underestimates Obi-wan's capabilities, and this may have something to do with his attitude toward him when they meet. But, where does this cockiness come from? Why is he so certain that Obi-wan presents such a small concern?

22. random_trooper

random_trooper Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2000
    From the first viewing, I always loved the way Padme stares at Anakin as she exclaims: "now, if you'll excuse me..I will retire"

She holds the look for a relatively long period of time...just looking at Anakin...doesn't turn to Obi or any other...then finally walks off.

I thought that was a nice way to drive home the point of "hot damn, you grew up into a hottie, Ani!?!?!?" :p

23. Qonas

Qonas Jedi Master star 4

Feb 12, 2003
    Hey, I'm new here and (shameless brown-nosing ahead) it's this great thread that got me to post, heh. On just a couple notes, anyway.

One, I love AOTC a lot but I see where people's complaints about the acting come from. It's not the acting itself, it's the dialogue and delivery. Most of the stuff said during the fireplace exchange just plain didn't make sense, and it was seemingly delivered so. That is the only problem I have with Natalie and Hayden, is their dialogue delivery.

Now with that outta the way, it's time for the good stuff. :) This has all been mentioned in one of the "Ian MacDarmid RULES" threads but just every second he's on screen, he just added something to the Palpatine character. His facial, eye expression are priceless, ESPECIALLY during the "I love the Republic" speech. And just watch how he walks, when he's alone with Anakin, and listen to his voice. Gave my spine chills, heh.

24. foxbatkllr

foxbatkllr Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 27, 2001
    watch Boba's reaction - the saber's ignited, and Boba takes one split-second glance and *immediately* jumps behind Jango

Yes! I just noticed that a couple of nights ago and I thought "hey that's a great subtle gesture I should post about in that thread..."

Nice little reaction from Boba.

25. Durwood

May 18, 2002
    Very subtle, indeed. However, shouldn't he be as wary of a Jedi as (nearly) everyone else in the galaxy?

Of course he should but one thing Jango has in abundance is ego.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.