main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Subtle Gestures" in AOTC Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Sister_Sola, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jake_Barnes

Jake_Barnes Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2002
    Point taken, but I would offer that it still leaves room for speculation. Now, onto a subtle gesture...

2. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    After watching AOTC on DVD for 15th time (lost count actually), I started to realize and feel the "love story" between Anakin and Padme. I think the thing that really did it for me is how Padme tells Anakin "Anakin, don't try to grow up to fast". It really sounded incredibly sincere, tender and affectionate. Being a former Queen and now Senator with huge amounts of responsibility at such a young age, I think Padme feelings for Anakin now makes sense.

It seems that whatever Padme wants to do something or has an opinion of it, all other males says something against it. Its only Anakin who deos exactly what she asks "we'll find out who trying to kill you Padme, I promise you". Even at the fireplace scene, Anakin backs off when Padme tells him that it'll be like living a lie.

I don't really know how to express it or explain the finer points, but that "grow up too fast" line, did it for me. It also makes the "Ive been dying each day since you came back into my life" line all the more poignant than repugnant (yes, it was that irritating for me), I must admit.

Sorry for the rambling.

3. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    I always liked the love story. But it wasn't until the 4th time I watched the DVD that I loved the film as a whole.

4. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    A hearty and enthusiastic "Up!" for this much-beloved thread for now....but I will be back in later today, I should think....got a few more wee things to comment on and point out....ahhh, yes, it never ends - and I loves that, I do! :D

Dawn.

5. PoodleEssence

PoodleEssence Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 26, 2002
    I dont know if this has been said, or not. But I think the scene where Obi-Wan joins Padme and Anikan on the Reek, Padme puts her hand on Obi Wan's knee, like "Glad you're safe".

Yea.
    -Poodle

6. DarthDork

DarthDork Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 24, 2002
    I like how Padme observes the conversation between Anakin and Watto. I'm also suprised that no one has mentioned how Dooku uses the force to deactivate the droids in the arena. That's definately the coolest subtle moment in the movie.

7. Aphelpsdisiac

Aphelpsdisiac Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 13, 2003
    JediBeowolf, from page 1: I had to post this reply even before going through the other posts.

OK, mine's not subtle or anything, but I love that little 2 finger motion Obi-Wan uses to open the door on Kamino, right after he's been kicked off the side of the platform. It reminds me so much of the "mind-control" gesture we see later in A New Hope. Best. Gesture. EVER!!!!

I heartily agree. My favorite 'little' gesture in the movie. That's why altough I generally have a Vader icon for my DarthPhelps personna, I have the Obi-Wan icon from that scene currently selected.

Jake_Barnes: However, shouldn't he be as wary of a Jedi as (nearly) everyone else in the galaxy? I understand that Jango continually underestimates Obi-wan's capabilities, and this may have something to do with his attitude toward him when they meet. But, where does this cockiness come from? Why is he so certain that Obi-wan presents such a small concern?

I think that his "always a pleasure" comment is meant to convey to us that he's met Jedi before, and has come away from such an encounter victorious. That would be why he's so cocky. Of course, he has no idea that Obi-Wan is Grade-A Jedi material. ;)

8. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000

He's just looking for attention. It's best we ignore him.

9. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Upsy-daisy, you loverly thread....you deserve the first page and nothing less shall do. :)

Dawn.

10. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    I watched AOTC last night and noticed Boba Fett looking terrified when Mace draws his sabre under Jangos throat. Very cool.

11. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    *grins* And now I love noticing the look on Jango's face when he realizes what Mace is doing....he turns *very* slowly and carefully and gives him this what-do-you-think-you're-*doing*?! look....seems almost in a state of high dudgeon, in a way, as if mortally offended that a "mere" Jedi could get the drop on him in that way. *giggle* Love it! :D

Dawn.

12. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I love the way Mace's sabre lights in that scene. It just bursts into life, very aggressively.

Ah, well, it's always the little touches :)

13. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Oh, yeah, definitely. :) I also very much like the fact that the instant it ignites, the saber's all you see....and only then does the camera pull back to reveal an all-business, do-*not*-mess-with-me Mace Windu. Now *that* is seriously as good as any revealing shot like that can get, I reckon. :)

Dawn.

14. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    Maybe this isn't so subtle, but right after Padme's back is scratched by the Nexu, there's a shot of Nute and Rune pumping their fists. It's as if they're taking particular pleasure in seeing Padme tortured although both Anakin and Obi-Wan played large parts in freeing Naboo in TPM.

15. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    When Cliegg says, "I'd be out there too if not for my leg. . ." Anakin nods quietly in understanding. It's like Anaking knows Cliegg means well but isn't blessed with his (Anakin's) talents at fighting and "seeing things before they happen."

16. JediBeowulf

JediBeowulf Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2001
    Maybe this isn't so subtle, but right after Padme's back is scratched by the Nexu, there's a shot of Nute and Rune pumping their fists.

[face_laugh]

I genuinely laughed out loud during that scene. It was like Nute was getting his jollies from finally seeing Padme get hurt.

Padme was Nute's "Moby Dick".

17. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Im not letting this thread disappear without a fight! ;)

Not sure if anyone noticed this or mentioned it rather. Look at Padme/Amidala?s sudden shock/jerk movement when Obi Wan says ?we shall not go through this exercise again Anakin!?.

Further more when Anakin retorts, I really can feel the embarrassment Obi Wan feels, as he gulps since their banter is going out of hand in front of others. It works on all levels as Obi Wan has to adhere to the Council?s wishes at the same time control his apprentice from going too far ahead.

18. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    - I love it how, when Obi-Wan's expressing his doubts (grrr) about Anakin getting this first assignment on his own, he says "His abilities have made him...well, arrogant!" - and Yoda's response is absolutely *perfect*, in my opinion. The way he lifts his brow and cocks his head in that slight and subtle way, and how he infuses his words with a pointed, deliberate weight as he remarks that Anakin's not the only one to have such overconfidence, and that it affects "Even the older, more experienced ones." It's merely that when he makes that pointed though soft-spoken remark and gives Obi-Wan that certain especial look....it reminds me very much of when he told Obi in TPM, "Qui-Gon's defiance I sense in you. Need *that*, you do not!" And it *is* a lovely thought to consider, you know, that in some ways Obi really is still very much like Qui-Gon....though in other ways, it's Anakin who seems to have followed more impetuously and passionately in Qui-Gon's footsteps.

How strange but very fascinating and wonderful, I think, that even these long years after Qui-Gon's passing, his spirit can somehow still reach out across the great divide 'twixt life and death, somehow reaching through the Force itself, to keep on touching and influencing Obi and Anakin....and even then they're not the only ones. It really gives one a sense of coming full-circle, I think, and of the interwoven nature of all these lives coming together like strands in the galactic tapestry...in that someone we thought was long-gone is still somehow managing to influence and shape people, especially the ones he cared for the most and had the greatest impact on. And so, when Yoda's making that subtle but *very* evident and pointed little remark....it's not meant unkindly, to be sure, there's also no denying the weight to it. Myself, I actually think it's a great compliment....maybe more of one than Yoda intended it to be, but oh well....tough on him. ;) :D

Dawn.

19. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    - Padme and Ani having their meadow picnic.... *happy sigh* ....I love Padme's absolutely *perfect*, classic reaction when she challenges him that his notion of the system changed for the better actually sounds like a dictatorship to her, and he throws out that casual "Well, if it works," - and I'm thinking it was a little hard for her to tell at first if he was kidding or not....much less how she should be reacting, whether or not he was merely joking. Heck, in that second I suspect it's difficult for most people to discern whether or not Ani's actually serious....though for sure he's so perfectly, disarmingly charming and magnetic that I really wouldn't care either way, myself....I'm just saying. ;) *ahem*

But it's Padme's reaction at that very moment that I find so bang-on perfect and delightful....she does nothing more than tilt her head in the slightest way, and she eyes him just a little askance....not harshly, judgemental or critical, or anything....merely that she's taking his measure in that moment, I think - keenly gauging this fascinating, passionate, impetuous, headstrong Padawan who's so completely unlike anyone else she's ever met, much less any other Jedi....and she's wholly fascinated with him, and then some, you can tell. Never any doubt of *that*. :) Still, what tickles me so about it is that it's the slightest, smallest, most subtle moment....and I just - well, I think the way she does it, it's so charming and captivating, careful, keen and knowing....it's no wonder indeed that Ani could never take his eyes off her, for even but a second.

Indeed....just take note of how he's constantly turned to gaze over at her as they're walking over to the balcony, for instance....that whole way, with every step, he's completely riveted by her....held fast, and again, no wonder at all about that. :) It's also quite the same, I do believe, when they're talking on the refugee ship....all the times like that, you can see that no matter who else may be around, or whatever else is going on....intrinsically, at the core of it - he only has eyes for her. And I can think of nothing more beautiful than that. :D

Dawn.

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    You're a poetic soul, Qui-Dawn :)
    Ever thought of running a thread like this for the other 4 films?

21. Apophis

Apophis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 26, 2002
    I really like Nute Gunray!
    The lines he says in the Arena are just superb!
    He really is the cowardly villain ...

I also like the kiss that Padme gives to Anakin after she jumps on the Reek. It is very romantic.

22. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    DamonD - why, thank you so much for the compliment. I do believe I'm blushing. ;) :D Hey, I do my best, always, and so long as someone notices and appreciates it....then it's all cool to me! :)

- another great subtlety of performance for all: take note of how, when Poggle the Lesser is conferring with Dooku in the War Room, and irately demands first that they must order a retreat....what accentuates his evident mood, his distress, anxiousness and tension - is how his wings flutter and rustle angrily in tandem with his very mood, and his words. It may be a small thing, to be sure, but it's a very real subconscious-type reaction....in that when a person is lashing out verbally in such a state, angry, tetched and *mightily* stressed - there are little physical motions one makes to go along with it.

Sometimes it's something as simple as squaring one's stance defensively or tensing, stiffening your shoulders....or even something right down to the twitching of a muscle in a person's jaw, the subtle throb of a vein in their temples....but the whole thing of it is that it can be something completely unconscious, and instinctive - and very real, the whole time. And the fact that it so evidently accentuates the emotion being expressed....well....it's a subtlety that I'd wager most people don't think twice about, because of course, it just makes *sense*....but in this particular case, well - I wonder if maybe a lot of people *do* unintentionally overlook it. I mean, it's not as if Poggle's flying clear off the handle, ranting and raging all up and down the War Room; he's just stalking around, and aside from his words the only thing evident is when his wings buzz and jerk in that angry way....but it's like something any number of insects or bees or creatures in general can do.

Still, that doesn't make it any less fascinating or neato to make especial note of, in my book! :)

Dawn.

23. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Qui-Dawn, you just helped me understand the movie a little better. Yoda's comment about the older Jedi growing overconfident is aimed DIRECTLY at Obi-Wan. Does't Obi say in the OT that he thought he could train Anakin but couldn't? Sounds like overconfidence to me.

And when Anakin saves Obi-Wan by flying the speeder under him. Does Obi thank him? No. "What took you so long?" And then Anakin says he couldn't find a speeder he liked. A bit of overconfidence on both their parts: Obi that his apprentice will catch up, Anakin that he has enough time to pick and choose speeders. It's played for laughs, but there's an edge there, now.

24. TheFury

Jan 27, 2003
    You can't really call it a subtle "moment" but there is a subtle theme running through the movie which is - Anakin complains that Obi-Wan is holding him back and then all the way through we see little moments of Obi-Wan literally holding him back.

Like when Padme says "My Jedi protector will have to prove how good he is" and Anakin moves forward Obi-Wan holds him back.

When Anakin runs into the club he is met by Obi-Wan who again holds him back, slows him down.

And of course the one time Obi-Wan can't hold him back(the Dooku fight) he gets zapped with force lightning.

25. Pooja

Pooja Jedi Knight star 6

May 25, 2002
    Oooh, nice catch, Fury.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.