"Subtle Gestures" in AOTC Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Sister_Sola, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    This isn't a gesture, but it's subtle as all get out.

If you look on the Jedi Starfighter, just to the right and below the cockpit, above and to the right of the astrodroid, is the insignia that becomes the symbol of the Empire.
  2. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
    There actually is a small difference between that symbol and the symbol of the Empire. The symbol of the Republic (as seen on the Jedi Starfighter) has 8 "prongs", while the symbol of the Empire only has 6.
  3. TheFury Jedi Knight

star 3
    Any meaning behind that?
  4. YodaJeff Manager Emeritus

star 7
  5. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Still, it's something neat - if a bit chilling to consider, to be sure - that the Empire, as something built on fear, corruption, destruction, death, enslavement and chaos - would, for its own symbol, co-opt that of the Old Republic....which for over a thousand years was something more associated with peace, tolerance, negotiation, *life*....the Empire takes this symbol which one can, I think, associate with the Jedi of old as much as anything - and they warp it, corrupting it into something that, while it may be only slightly different in appearance....is *galaxies* different in actual fact. What a twisted thing it is, really, that the symbol of peace and stable, fair just government could be warped and perverted, in a very real sense....into the symbol of tyranny, terror, rule-through-death-and-dissent of the Empire. Sometimes, after all....it's the seemingly smallest of changes that can inspire the darkest chill of fear and dread down one's spine....

Dawn.
  6. Qonas Jedi Master

star 4
    ...um, wow, that's quite a post Dawn, heh. Do you write professionally?

Back to the original topic. :) There's a difference in the number of prongs? I should've counted, but hrm. I just found it interesting as all get out that the symbols are pretty much identical, and that it was plastered on the Jedi Starfighter. But another good little subtle thing is the design and sound of the two ships that flew cover with Dooku. They looked slightly like, and had the firing sound of, a TIE.
  7. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Qonas - hm, you know what, I actually don't write professionally....but I darn well *should*, huh, wouldn't you say? What perfect sense it would make, ever-so-timely and appropriate, yes....:) It's all-natural....and all me. :D

Dawn.
  8. Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Watched AOTC again the other night.

Subtle gesture in the fireplace scene (believe it or not - there is some subtlety in that scene!):

When we first cut to the scene, and Anakin and Padmé are just sitting looking at each other, not talking yet, I love how they seem to suddenly release their breath at the same time, like they've been holding their breath, and then look away from each other.

Tells me a lot about the romantic tension between them. Nicely done.
  9. Sonja_Raven Jedi Knight

star 1
    two come to mind:

Obi's way of crossing his arms ala ANH

Anakin looking over the balcony, his back to the camera, feet spread apart, like Vader at the end of ESB.

Love those little gestures. Sweet!
  10. jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Something I just noticed last night:

When Jar Jar proposes emergency powers to Palpatine, in the background you can hear some senators shouting "Palpatine! Palpatine!"

I can't believe I never noticed that before. :p
  11. yes Jedi Knight

star 1
    QUI-DAWN, about the Empire taking the Republic's symbol as their own, this reminds me of what Nazi Germany did. They took the swastika, a symbol of peace in Buddhism, mirror-reversed the symbol, and made it into the symbol for Nazi Germany.

Now that I realised this, I kinda like the idea of the Empire adopting the Republic a whole lot better. Heck, I like the design of the Empire's symbol (looks like a wheel or a gear that symbolises industry?).
  12. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I still love this thread :)
    I don't have anything extra to add yet, but I love all of this stuff.
  13. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *nods in emphatic agreement* Oh, yes....erm, 'yes' ;) - for sure....the very same thought occurred to me whilst I was writing that. Parallels like that only add greater depth to it, far as I'm concerned....though of course, it's also in these seemingly little things, like the Empire's co-opting and corruption of a symbol of peace and justice....even something like this, to me, only heightens and emphasizes the tragedy, as a whole, of what is to come. And just as no one can look at even the flipped-image swastika now without thinking of Nazi Germany, so deeply-engrained is even that warped, co-opted image in our collective consciousness....something very, *very* hard to get past....so too do we find ourselves forever caught by the innocuous little Republic symbol....and reminded all the more of what it *will* be. We'll never look at it or feel about it quite the same way again....and *that*, to me, is real impact....*that* is real power....and, also, *very* fascinating, natch. :)

But then, that was already obvious. ;) :D

Dawn.
  14. Screaming_Otter Jedi Padawan

It's not really a gesture, but an image: when Padme is on a conveyer belt, for a second her white cloak billows behind her like the wings. This created an image (at least in my mind) of angel in white trapped in an industrial hell. Very symbolic.
  15. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    I don?t know if you noticed this one , but when Obi Wan tells Anakin ?you know, I don?t like it when you do that!?, Anakin is happily adjusting to his seat like he enjoyed that moment. Look at his smile and joyful glee. Coupled with his next (and sarcastic) line, its just a great moment, and I think excitement never seen before in SW yet, retaining that feel.

However, even the moment before that, when Obi Wan moans almost in fear, Anakin himself, looks like he knows he may have gone a bit too far there (look at his expression carefully); but when it was alright, the above scene Im pointing out makes is all the more radiant and amusing.
  16. JediHunterCommand Jedi Master

star 1
    Another subtlety, if people haven't noticed it already in its own thread, is the parallelism between Anakin's lines about stopping death in AOTC and ROTJ.

Not mine, but I think it belongs here.
  17. That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Ha! =D
    Good one JHC =D
    'I will even learn to stop people from dying!'

'But you'll die...'
    'Nothing... can stop that now...'
  18. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I guess Anakin finally realises he has to let go of things, in the end...
  19. DarthQuandry Jedi Knight

Thank you George for CGI Yoda in AOTC. His eyes say it all in AOTC. The glance he gives Palpy in his office in the beginning as if I know something is up with you! When he is talking to Mace and Obi about " even the older, wiser jedi have the arrogance flaw" not exact quote nonetheless he looks right at Mace Windu after saying this and gives him a peculiar glance then Mace pauses and begins to talk. This I think supports my theory for EP3 ( another topic).Then also his eyes say so much after Anakin's hack job on Tuskens. Too bad they didn't use CGI Yoda in TPM could have many more small instances of greatness with the eyes in there too!
  20. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Speaking of Yoda's scene at "a flaw all too common...". Isn't his "Yes, yes" similar to his scene at Dagobah when he said "yes, yes...you will be, YOU WILL BE!". In response to Luke's "Im not afraid".

GL has truly not forgotten his SW saga style.
  21. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Along those very lines, openmind....take note of how, when Palpatine is subtly and skillfully weaving his spell of influence over Anakin, the way in which he says, "In time you will learn to trust your feelings"....just the subtle inflection and intonation of that "In time" is *exactly* like....well, it's in ROTJ, isn't it, unless I'm completely off my bird here....when Palpatine-as-Emperor arrogantly informs Luke, "In time, you will call *me* Master!" Already the same chilling inflections are present, even in AOTC....reminds you all the more of the depth of cruelty that Palpatine will, in time, be exerting as Emperor....even when he disguises that cruelty in the sweetest and most comforting of poisons whispered right into Anakin's ear in AOTC....telling him exactly what he wants to hear, what encourages him and fills him with confidence....yet even that seemingly kindest of words and gestures, as we know only too well, it's only to Palpatine's own twisted machinations.

Oh, yes, that only makes it even more insidious, in my book....and I am of course aware of the irony, the little pun there. ;) :D Tee hee!

Dawn.
  22. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Qui Dawn, great point. I wanted to mention that myself, only I don't have even a iota of ability to explain it like you do :)

To go even further, note Palpatine/Sidious' tone when he talks to Dooku/Tyranus near the end of AOTC. "Welcome home, Tyranus". He's even still sweet talking ole Dooku, only to, obviously get rid of him for sure, by buttering Anakin in the beginning of AOTC. Ofcourse, the hints are clear in picnic scene with Anakin's "someone wise". This ofcourse mentioned in this thread.
  23. TheFury Jedi Knight

star 3
    I love the way Hayden says that line. There isn't even a hint of doubt in Anakins mind. He KNOWS how things should work.
  24. Leto II Jedi Master

star 6
    Along those very lines, openmind....take note of how, when Palpatine is subtly and skillfully weaving his spell of influence over Anakin, the way in which he says, "In time you will learn to trust your feelings"....
    It also echoes Kenobi's sentiments to Luke both aboard the Falcon and later in the Death Star trench:

"Trust your feelings," and "Stretch out with your feelings."

(Trouble is, of course, Palpatine's invoking this for all the wrong reasons.)
  25. TheFury Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't think anybdy has mentioned Palpatines chair which is almost the same as his ROTJ chair.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.