main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Subtle Gestures" in AOTC Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Sister_Sola, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    I like the way Anakin subtlety introduces himself to Watto without telling who is. It is only after Anakin fixes the Pit Droid head, Watto gets the message that its "little Annie", who was always good at fixing things.

I love the way Watto was so happy to see Anakin when he truly realizes who it is "It is you, it is you!". Wonderful

2. Im_just_guessing

Im_just_guessing Jedi Knight star 7

Oct 23, 2002
    in the fireplace scene when anakin says "the closer i am to you the more painful it is" or something like that, Padme immediately moves just a little bit closer to him

i noticed that the first time i saw the movie

not quite sure what its supposed to mean...but its there, and its subtle

3. coney_1_kenobi

coney_1_kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2002
    i liked the swipe of the knee Lama Su gives when he says, "this army is for the republic."

i'm not sure if you would class this as subtle or very noticeable---the glance Yoda gives to Palpatine---it's fantastic. And before that when Mace Windu puts his hand on his chin, as if taking the 'Rodin's Thinker' pose. It shows his curiosity and concern, and even confusion.

4. TheFury

TheFury Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2003
    I love the Watto scene as well. It's brilliantly written.

5. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    I was just gonna mention the Watto scene. I was watching it last night, and I love the way his wings lift in surprise when he sees how Anakin has fixed the droid. Great stuff there. :)

Also, last night I was reading the thread about the text commentary on the DVD-Rom (which won't work for me. Stupid computer, be more workable!) and read something I hadn't realized before. During Shmi's funeral, Cliegg's speech is all about Shmi, while Anakin's is all about himself. I thought that was an amazing insight that I hadn't even noticed. :D

6. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    Very intereting, Goofy!
    I haven't read through all 8 pages so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

In the end of the packing scene where Padmé says "It makes me feel uncomfortable" Ani smiles after he says "Sorry, m'lady" and then smirks as he watches her leave. He's having fun making her squirm. It reminds me of the slight smirk Senator Palpatine gives at the end of one scene in TPM, I can't remember which now.

When Padmé's ship arrives at the hanger where Obi/Ani/Dooku are fighting, Padmé jumps out of it and runs in, then the troopers who have also jumped out get shot down, and the ship gets shot down and tumbles out of sight.

7. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Just noticed this last night while watching the movie: The end scene showing the wedding, everything is gentle and peaceful looking, bathed in soft, warm light with a hint of blue in the water, but if you look on the far right of the screen where the sun is setting, the water is tinged a vibrant red. It's almost like there is peace all around with turmoil creeping in. It's a very subtle thing, but I think it has a real psychological impact which is why people feel uncomfortable and anxious with this last shot. It appears tranquil, but it is decptively so.

By the way I assume you can only see this in widescreen, but then, why would you want this movie any other way?

8. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    I don't know what it is but I really enjoyed Padme's stare at Anakin after their arguement about Anakin being in charge of security, just after Anakin bites his lip and apologizes reluctantly.

9. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The flies around Watto are great. They show how rough the current times are for Watto. In TPM, he was successful, and in AOTC, he seems like a glorified bum, since he lost the help of Anakin and Shmi.

Another thing I noticed for the first time today while watching the IMAX again was the single tear that rolls down Shmi's cheek right after she dies.

10. Sister_Sola

Sister_Sola Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2002
    "In the end of the packing scene where Padmé says "It makes me feel uncomfortable" Ani smiles after he says "Sorry, m'lady" and then smirks as he watches her leave. He's having fun making her squirm."

Hmmm, interesting way of seeing it, Lelila. I have always interpreted Anakin's look at that moment as partly desire, and partly pride that he has an effect on her.

Durwood - you're right, I do always feel kind of tense when watching the wedding scene - maybe it's because of the colour.

And Yoda Jeff - what do you mean "watching IMAX again"? Is it still playing in your town on IMAX?

11. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Check the AOTC Box Office thread on this forum, YodaJeff's IMAX viewing has been recently discussed over the last couple of pages :D

12. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Not exactly in my town. I spent a total of around 4 hours on the road yesterday, 2 hours there, 2 hours back. I hadn't seen AOTC in a theater since November, when I last saw it at a different IMAX theater, and I happened to luck out that a somewhat-local theater was bringing it back for one showing on Sunday.

13. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Well speaking of IMAX - my favourite part of seeing AOTC that way was a subtlety I guess - I was so stunned by how real the Kaminoans looked at that size and clarity. They look REAL!

Such amazing work by ILM.

Also, upping this thread for some positive vibes to get flowing on the board. :D

14. openmind

Jan 23, 2003
    Oh no you don't! This thread doesn't deserve to get lost in the shuffle!

Not sure if this is considered subtle but I'll liked it when Jango gets back to the Slave One, its Boba Fett who is flying it. Kind of reminds me of Anakin as kid who could fly the Naboo Fighter. Its interesting that both youngens (Anakin in TPM and Boba in AOTC) are two extraordinary kids. While one turns bad but gets redemption,the other, dies bad.

Interesting indeed.

15. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    This is more of a comparison with OT than a true subtle moment. When I first watched AOTC, I noticed that Jango's shiny armor is in stark contrast to Boba's beat-up suit. Also, Jango doesn't have any trophies like Wookie scalps on his belt. It's as if Jango (who works for the "gentlemanly" Jedi Dooku) takes more pride in his armor and doesn't display cheap trophies like Boba (who works for a hedonistic gangster).

16. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Gah! Ack! What are you doing all the way down *here*, you loverly little thread.... *lovingly punts it back up to plain view* More later from me, though....I've had one thing, at least, well in mind for quite some time now....and I don't think it's been mentioned already, but heck, even if it has....I think it's the good kind of repetition. :D

Dawn.

17. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but has anyone noticed how Anakin never seems to bow? Even when Obi-Wan bows to Padme at the start, Anakin stands impassive. Seems he doesn't like to show that level of respect yet. Of course, Vader gets down on one knee for the Emperor.

18. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but has anyone noticed how Anakin never seems to bow? Even when Obi-Wan bows to Padme at the start, Anakin stands impassive. Seems he doesn't like to show that level of respect yet. Of course, Vader gets down on one knee for the Emperor.

19. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    double post

20. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    Yeah, but an interesting one :)
    Anakin doesn't seem to like showing too much subservience to people.

21. w0rf

w0rf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Throughout movie history, when two armies meet and fight eachother, the "good" guys have always moved from left to right as it's this direction that we read and even though we don't notice it it's always the natural way for us to see something moving. And the "bad" guys of course then move from right to left

In each of the major battles in Braveheart, the Scots were always on the right side of the viewer's perspective, and the English on the left.

Other than that, it is a point worth considering.

22. w0rf

w0rf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    I'm also suprised that no one has mentioned how Dooku uses the force to deactivate the droids in the arena.

That's because I happen to think he didn't actually do it himself, but simply used a gesture to signal them to be stopped. The droids are controlled remotely, after all, and not actual thinking fighters like Stormtroopers.

I actually thought that Anakin's persuasiveness throughout the film showed that he had incredible use of his Force powers, including charming the Reek, and Watto who is supposed to be immune to Jedi mind tricks. I was shouted down on this idea so it's probably all in my head. Point is, much as we'd like to believe it, not all Jedi/Sith can traipse about controlling everything in the galaxy with their bombad Force. "I wish it were so"...

23. I_Am_Not_A_Committee

I_Am_Not_A_Committee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2003
    I was going to mention Braveheart, but someone beat me to it.

As Anakin leaves on the bike to find his mother, it is dusk. His bike comes into the bright light and all you can see is the outline of Anakin and the bike. Ani?s figure looks exactly like Vader here.

The look Yoda gives Palpatine in the beginning of the movie, when he suggests Obi Wan be assigned to guard Padme. Yoda knows this guy is no good!

24. Sister_Sola

Nov 19, 2002
    Slightly off topic - I_Am_Not_A_Committee - that's my favourite line from ESB! [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

25. Latorski

Dec 14, 2002
    The look Yoda gives Palpatine in the beginning of the movie, when he suggests Obi Wan be assigned to guard Padme. Yoda knows this guy is no good!

That is a cool shot. I wonder if Yoda already suspects Palpatine or if he resents Palpy recruiting Jedi for his security jobs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.