"Subtle Gestures" in AOTC Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Attack of the Clones' started by Sister_Sola, Jan 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heehaw138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Vader had some good facial expressions in the OT
  2. jMo_Skywalker Jedi Knight

star 3
    W0rf- Anakin doesn't use a Jedi mind trick on Watto. He uses more force in his voice when he says "My mother!" I think he does it to scare Watto and get him back on subject, not as a mind trick. Good thread by the way....
  3. w0rf Jedi Knight

star 1
    W0rf- Anakin doesn't use a Jedi mind trick on Watto. He uses more force in his voice when he says "My mother!" I think he does it to scare Watto and get him back on subject, not as a mind trick.

I've resigned myself to accepting this explanation since I once believed in the Mind Trick theory, which was several months ago. Just another example of looking for things that just aren't there (see also: Windu is a traitor, Palpy does not = Sidious, etc etc etc).
  4. DarthSon Jedi Master

star 2
    It's not really a gesture, but an observation. When Obi Wan figures out Anakins and Padme's plan to draw the assassin out, he mentions he doesn't think Anakin's senses were that attuned, and his might be, yet Anakin was the first to sense the danger in Padme's bedroom.
  5. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    I noticed that as soon as Obi Wan says "what about Senator Amidala, she'll still need protecting", Anakin goes or seems to go into meditation (his eyes close and head goes down). Is there anything in that? Is he wishing something? or in other words somehow made Yoda choose him to be with Padme?

6. vampire-jing Jedi Knight

star 3
    as Obi Wan says "what about Senator Amidala, she'll still need protecting", Anakin goes or seems to go into meditation (his eyes close and head goes down). Is there anything in that? Is he wishing something? or in other words somehow made Yoda choose him to be with Padme?

I noticed that too. Me thinks Anakin was wishing desperately "Master Yoda, please! Choose me to protect Padme!"

What I love about the acting (in the PT) is that there're tons of subtle gestures to be appreciated.
  7. AUNTIE_JEDI Jedi Master

star 4
    My favs are:

Palpatine when he askes "Master Yoda, do you think it will really come to war?" just look at that false innocence on his face.

Anakin's face when he explains to Padmé "Attachment is forbidden etc etc." He is so unsure. Cannot watch Padmé when speaking, flashes small smiles to her... It is heartaching; boy is telling something he has learned but his face and body scream "I want to love you, not feel any @£%%¤ compassion only!"

Balcony scene:
    PADMÉ: I don't want to disturb you.
    ANAKIN: Your presence is soothing.
    PADMÉ: You had a nightmare again last night.
    ANAKIN: Jedi don't have nightmares.
    PADMÉ: I heard you.

Anakin points "JEDI don't have..." and his eyes are close. After Padmé has told that she heard him he opens his eyes slowly and seems to ponder over Padmé's words knowing at the same time that he cannot pretend any longer but he has to tell the truth.
  8. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Balcony scene:
    PADMÉ: I don't want to disturb you.
    ANAKIN: Your presence is soothing.
    PADMÉ: You had a nightmare again last night.
    ANAKIN: Jedi don't have nightmares.
    PADMÉ: I heard you.

I like this scene as well. To me it shows that Padme is not falling for that "Jedi do this, Jedi do that", business with Anakin. She sees more in Anakin than anyone else, that he's just as human as the next person.

But being a Jedi, they have to control their emotions and let "dreams pass in time" and all that, which in Anakin's case we will learn that it deosn't apply to him, although he's supposed to hold it all in.

Also we see, after Anakin's carnage and his confession, Padme somehow decides to give him some comfort and stresses what she has noticed all along "to be angry is to be human".

9. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    So many great things have been said in here already I don't really know where to start. All I can say is there really are a lot of subtle gestures in AOTC and they are done very well I might add ;)
  10. openmind Jedi Master

star 4

Come on anidanami124, you can do it. Im sure there?s some more you can find :)

How about another, maybe nothing much but what about when Obi Wan comes back up to Padme?s quarters, he takes off his cloak with Anakin in front of him and notices that the camera to Padme?s bedroom had been switched off.

He asks Anakin what?s going on, while he?s proceeding closer, Anakin is for a moment in thought, as if he knows Obi Wan wouldn?t be too happy about it. I just like that second of thought. Obi Wan promptly conveys his sentiment ?what is she thinking!? Even at the lodge scene at the table Anakin gives Padme an insight about Obi Wan ?if Master Obi Wan caught me doing this, he?d be very grumpy?. :p

And what carries on is even more fascinating (to me anyway). Anakin says that Padme programmed R2 to warn if there is an intruder. Padme isn?t one to just lie down and wait, similarly Anakin?s trait as well. Padme is ?a woman of action? when she thinks she needs to be, just like Anakin is ?a man of action?. Further cemented by Capt. Typho?s concern ?I?ll be more concerned of her doing something than him!? Humorous yet, perturbing.

Which brings me to the subtleness of Anakin's and Padme's relationship, especially with "it was her idea". They are already working together, which is infact exemplified during the Arena scene.

Im sure after Ep. III, we?ll have to go back and watch Ep. II and even Ep. I again, and Im sure we?ll find even more subtleties that we may have missed because each chapter is an integral part to the whole Saga. IMO atleast. :D
  11. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    When Anakin and Obi Wan are discussing Palpatine, just before they storm into Padme's room, I noticed (only now), just before Anakin says "My...." Obi Wan is staring at Anakin, OBW's eyes start to shift to the side just a little bit with concern, before he says "I sense it too!". I just didn't see that till now.

Reminding me of the subtleness of OBW slight heard turn toward Jango's armory in Jango's room and Jango noticing that (who inturn shifts his eyes to the right realizing it), who cooly walks to the side to keep OBW's attention away from that section.

Love it! :D
  12. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Obi-Wan's little glance at Anakin when he snaps at Zam - "Tell us NOW!" - is a good one too.
  13. Cometgreen Jedi Master

star 4
    To expand on the beginning of the arena conflict:

When Anakin and Padme are being led into the arena, you can see Anakin simply observing the area and checking out the premises. He sees thousands of Geonosians, but it looks like he's saying "Pfft, I can take em." It's one of those "All in a day's work" moments again.

I also love the little nod he and Obiwan give each other. They say hey to each other, then immediately go back to finding a way outta there.

This isn't a subtle gesture, and may have been discussed in this thread (can't remember...), but I like the scene when Obiwan is trying to contact Anakin. He finds out that Anakin isn't on Naboo and says, with a concerned look, "I sure do hope nothing has happened to him." A few seconds later, when the computer tells him that Anakin is on Tatooine, he bursts into anger. "What in the blazes is he doing THERE!?" That's a very fatherly characteristic. :D

Cometgreen
  14. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yeah, I had the same feelings when this was covered in the '5 Great Scene by George Lucas' thread :)

Obi-Wan is concerned about Anakin, but as soon as he's able to confirm the trace he's all annoyed again :D
  15. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    This isn't a subtle gesture either, but I didn't think much of Padme's "look, whatever happens out there, follow my lead. Im not interested in starting a war here" Till I correlated that with what Anakin did to the Tuskens. Its like Padme knows Anakin can have a quick fuse when things get too dicey, so she rather not have more trouble then there already is. So Anakin's appeases her, with the "don't worry". Yet, in the "tradition" of Ep. II, things just don't work the way that was planned, except of course for Palpatine.

16. PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Knight

star 3
    *Taun We's hip shake when she introduces "Lama Su, Prime Minister of Kamino." It's as if she's had hula lessons. She almost has that cartoon "sexiness" that some say Marge Simpson exhibits when wearing pants or shorts.
    *When Lama Su, Taun We and Obi-Wan are reviewing the parading clones, Lama Su says, "Magnificent, aren't they?" Obi-Wan nods and has a slight smile, almost in disbelief at what he is seeing. It is a nice parallel to Palpatine's more obvious smile when he reviews the parding clones at the end of the film. Palpatine's smile is one of pride and self-congratulation, at himself and his soon-to-be creation - the Empire. He's thinking "I did it. I finally did it, and it's as great as I expected it to be. Everything is going as planned." He has no disbelief.
    *The look Boba gives during the Jango/Obi-Wan conversation right after Obi-Wan says "ever made your way as far into the interior as Coruscant? Recently?" He glances nervously from Obi-Wan to Jango waiting for his dad's response: "Possibly." The eye and eyebrow movement in that look is precious. I can picture Vader having that look under his face when trying to decide between Luke and the Emperor at the end of ROTJ.
    *When the Naboo cruiser lands in the docking port on Tatooine the camera pans to a rickshaw taxi. The next scene shows Anakin and Padme arriving at Watoo's place in a rickshaw taxi. Nice continuity.
    *On Geonosis, Nute Gunray says "This is not looking good at all," followed by Gunray's lackey saying "We must get the starships back into space." Dooku then has the perfect expression: he raises his eyebrows and, even from the side, one can tell he rolls his eyes. It's as if he's thinking, "Cowardly scum. Go ahead and abandon the fight. I only put up with you and your kind to get my chance to grab the brass ring and take over the galaxy. Idiots. Once I take over, you're gone." His look reminded me of Tarkin's incredulous look in ANH when Vader says, "This will be a day long remembered. It has seen the end of Kenobi, and it will soon see the end of the rebellion." I wonder if Christopher Lee did this as a subtle tribute to his old friend, Peter Cushing.

17. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    Im not sure about the Peter Cushing part, but I enjoyed your take on the subtleties. Nice work :)

18. Obi-Wan2001 Jedi Master

star 4
    "When Lama Su, Taun We and Obi-Wan are reviewing the parading clones, Lama Su says, "Magnificent, aren't they?" Obi-Wan nods and has a slight smile"

What I also love about that is it's very similar to Alec's classic subtle nod in A New Hope when Luke says he wants to, "learn the ways of the Force and become a Jedi like my father". I think Alec had a few of those subtle nods in the OT and it's great that Ewan's used the trait.
  19. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    When Obi Wan fails to find Kamino in the library maps, Jocasta attends to a young Jedi.

The next scene is Anakin talking about ?unconditional love?. That?s a very innocent way of looking at love, an all encompassing one. I feel GL is trying to portraying that this emotion is what children carry with them.

Then the very next scene is finally the Younglings and Yoda. Where Yoda states the importance of children and the ?mind of the child?.

Nice continuity there, IMHO.
  20. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I know MissPadme first mentioned this one back in the Defenders' thread, but I sure think it bears referencing and repeating here too....if only because even more people can enjoy it that way. :) One of the most fantastic subtle gestures - or looks in this case, actually - that absolutely melts my heart, every time....it's that gorgeous, blossoming, heartfelt brilliant and honest smile that Anakin gives Padme after floating the shurra fruit over to her....just at the end of that scene, he favours her with that *beautiful*, pure, loving, boyish smile....our dear MissPadme said it perfectly, it's the smile that could melt Hoth. :D And there's no question that it *totally* snares me and then some....all's I know is that if he smiled at *me* that way, I would absolutely and totally be his....no question. As if *anyone* could resist.... ;)

Also, another subtle but very definite impression I get from that scene, as Anakin so effortlessly demonstrates the Force - for his pleasure and for hers, certainly, but it's also rather a warmly, gently flirtatious thing to be doing....again, not that *I* could ever resist it!.... *melt* But, yeah, in any case - the feeling I get from it, in watching just those slightest, most delicate and easy little gestures that Anakin uses....just the barest flick of his fingers, and it's obviously the easiest and most natural thing in the world to him....and what I think of, in that moment, is that it's literally like music floating from his fingertips....as if he's conducting, and taking part in as well, this deft, gentle, sweet symphony....and he does it with only the lightest and most loving of touches. It's the pure music of his touch....it just seems so very clear to me....and the impression only grows ever-stronger and still more delightful with every viewing. :)

To be sure, it *is* rather a hard thing to be trying to put into mere words....but I do nonetheless think that when you watch it, and get that definite, instinctive impression - you just *know*. And yes, okay, even if at first blush it doesn't seem to make much sense to anyone else - I know as it makes sense enough to *me*, in my heart. And I guess all I can really hope for is that I've explained it with at least *some* semblance of coherency.... :)

Dawn.
  21. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    Nice post Qui-Dawn. I really have nothing to add but I agree with you completely.
  22. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Oh, now, latorski....you know I'm a blushing sort. ;) And, hey, I'm hardly done yet....I never fail to enjoy seeing what more I can find....and I do so like to share. :)

Dawn.
  23. Tatooine_native Force Ghost

star 1
    Great thread idea. :)

In the confession scene, right after Padme asks him what's wrong, Anakin looks down toward his hands as he says, "I killed them." It's as if he's seeing the blood that is on his hands now because of what he's done.

On Kamino, right after Obi-Wan says that Sifo-Dyas was killed more than ten years ago, the prime minister sort of narrows his eyes and and says, "I'm so sorry to hear that." To me it seems as if he doesn't really mean it; with Lama Su I've never really trusted him. It's like he's saying, "Sorry he died, but let's still stick to the business deal, shall we?"
  24. DamonD Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Heh.

"Horribly butchered, you say? Really...so, shall we go take a look at the clones?"

And I'll just add a mention for the way Pernilla August rolls Shmi's eyes back in her head when she's pulled off the post in the Tusken tent. Disturbing but nice touch.
  25. Tatooine_Fireman Jedi Master

star 4
    I like the Look on Anakins face before he says the line "Don't get me wrong, Obi-Wan is a great mentor." in Padmes appartment.
    You can see the second thought; can he openly critize Obi-Wan in front of Padme? I love that! I also love the way Padme touches Obi-Wans leg after he jumps on the Reek.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.