main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Subtleties that did or did not work for you in the Prequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Doompup, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Martoto77

Martoto77 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 6, 2016
    Where's the evidence in TPM that a Jedi might turn to the dark side if they do not follow the Jedi code?

The Jedi believe this, and practice it. But when a Jedi leaves the order on ambivalent and begins breaking the code he would have been required to follow if he had remained a Jedi, they seemingly cannot conceive of Dooku's potential for falling to the dark side as evidence by their patronising attitude towards Padme's concerns.

2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Because these are the same elder Jedi who are increasingly becoming more arrogant themselves and acting like the rules don't apply to them because of their superior wisdom and experience.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Seriously? The movies are full of examples, but if you want something from TPM specifically (why? it's not even related to what's being discussed), then simply take a look at Obi-Wan after Qui-Gon was taken down.

But he didn't remain a Jedi. And he didn't 'break the code' either, not in any way that might suggest a drastic change of character or lead someone to assume that he would resort to assassination against political adversaries, which is what was being discussed in that scene. He simply left amicably and dedicated himself to politics. His character was supposed to be the same if there's no evidence of the contrary.

What potential for fall? What evidence? There's no evidence. That's the whole point.

When did they act like the rules don't apply to them?

4. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    That was Obi-Wan's emotions in the heat of battle. I'm talking about the lifestyle Jedi are supposed to adopt in order to avoid falling to the darkside. The Jedi practice this belief, but when a Jedi leaves the order and begins breaking the code -possessions etc, they suddenly don't believe it's necessary for Dooku to avoid the darkside.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes. That was Obi-Wan not following the Jedi way. Letting his emotions cloud his judgment, letting his anger control his actions.

Dooku inheriting posessions is different from seeking posessions. If you don't see the obvious difference nor understand the point of letting go of possessions as a Jedi, then I can't help you.

6. Martoto77

Aug 6, 2016
    The discipline of not having possessions is the Jedi code. How you came by them is irrelevant. It does not mean that if someone gives you something and you accept it then the code permits you to possess it, etc.

Anakin didn't seek to possess his mother. He was born to her. If Anakin had openly decided in ROTS, - I'm not going to be a Jedi any more because of my feelings for Padme and my dead mother, he would still have been vulnerable to the dark side.