suffered through another formulaic fan film...

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Grover, Jun 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Grover Jedi Knight

star 1
    also titled: "the superficial versus the real"

Firstly, I'll rattle off the standard "appreciate their effort" and all of that. It is cool to be part of a 'fan film' community, to be able to explore other aspects of the Star Wars mythos, etc.

Having said that, last night, I stumbled onto some Fan Film that apparently has just finished. I don't remember the title or URL, and wouldn't post it anyhow, 'cause I don't want to directly criticize them...but I won't play dumb and stick my head in the sand, either.

The VERY FIRST MOMENTS as a ship moves towards some space dock, then a rotating pan down towards the planet DOES set the mood nicely. Also, the opening text scroll was well done, and not too wordy or cheesy...

After this, it all goes downhill faster than a scalded mynok; it was the typical beautiful effects, with shallow (if any) plot, TERRIBLE ACTING, and absolutely PATHETIC fight choreography. Again, I can use more PC terms, but what sucks, sucks. (i know...parts of my upcoming flick suck!)

The thing takes place on some desert planet, atop some dunes. There are 2 Sith and 2 Jedi.

The Sith are adolescents, and wouldn't frighten Jar Jar (circa TPM!) Also, all "actors," are really, really unprofessional. It seems evident that they didn't even rehearse their lines, much less do any characterization or 'working the method.' Hell, they even looked amateurish WALKING! Yes, even the way they walked and moved seemed cumbersome, labored, awkward, and sloppy. If they can't walk right...well, I guess everything "more complicated" will be exponentially worse.

The fight choreography. How many times...? Oh, never mind. It's just REALLY slow, REALLY weak, TOTALLY LACKS any intensity or ferociousness, and is obviously TOTALLY amateurish. Again, it almost looked as though they only practiced for like, a weekend or so, and their martial arts repetoire came from the local Tae Kwon Do club. Now, my fan film was shot in only 6 hours with 2 hours "practice" but we had lots of previous experience... otherwise, we wouldn't have been arrogant enough to go to all the time and effort to produce a fan film, post it on the net, WITH ALL THOSE BEAUTIFUL EFFECTS... an have crappy acting and fighting!

How many times must one say it: that the story, and the direct communication of that story (acting and choreography and emotional content) IS WHAT'S IMPORTANT, and that the SF/X ARE --AT MOST-- TO AUGMENT THAT, AND NOT TO REPLACE IT?

I know everyone says it, but it seems evident that MOST everyone puts all of their time into the f/x, at the expense of the (REAL) issues of plot, story conveyance, character interaction and dynamic, etc. And most of the 'big sites' (espcially the force.net) seem to reward this. Hell, this flick will probably be hosted by TF.NET any day now!

I think I know why; "birds of the feather..."

Anyways, it's cool that they tried, I guess, but with only ALOT OF PRACTICE it could've been 100 TIMES BETTER. Just think if everyone worked on their own skills as much as they worked on bluescreening and CGI and all of that...fan films would be moving, not just entertaining.

Sugar coating does not induce growth, only delusions.

the hierophant of the elephant,
    slampig tamer,
    lord grover,
    the house of pricktenstein
  2. scudknight Jedi Knight

star 3
    I hope this is a joke thread - is this reffering to the power fanfilm?

I see it in the signature.
  3. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    doesn't appear to be thepower (I looked briefly at the website). Perhaps it's TESBY or AQOF :p
  4. Jedi2016 Jedi Master

star 4
    "AQOF" and "bad choreography and no practice" just don't go in the same sentence!! IMO, that film still stands as some of the best saber fighting to date.
  5. Shoveler Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey Halibut it couldn't have been TESBY, there is no fighting atop a sand dune and besides nobody took that fan film seriously, not even the guys who made it and that's why it was fun to watch :D

<Shoveler tosses Grover a fire extinguisher>

"I feel a'flaming a'comin!"

Shoveler
  6. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    nobody took that fan film seriously, not even the guys who made it

I must admit as to taking offence at that. We took TESBY very seriously. I hope I misunderstood what you meant

I mentioned AQOF and TESBY as jokes, cos they're the films Scudknight and myself were involved in, hence the :p
  7. Shoveler Jedi Knight

star 2
    Sorry Halibut, I guess I should've worded that better. I'm sure you guys took it seriously, and intended that it turned out the way it did. I could see you guys spent a lot of time and effort on it which is why it is my favorite fan flick to date.

If I had been making TESBY I also would have taken it very seriously, proper comic timing and everything else. I meant that you guys wouldn't have taken the storyline seriously, but certainly the making of it.

I hope I explained it better. :)

Shoveler
  8. NickLong Jedi Master

star 4
    wait, this guy's seen Prelude To Hope already??

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long
  9. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    Cheers Shoveler. I hoped that's what you meant :D

LOL @ Nick

Well, Grover implied that this film is NOT on TFN, so that narrows it down
  10. Shoveler Jedi Knight

star 2
    Haha cools Halibut. Hey I'm sorry I had no idea you were involved in the making of TESBY until you replied. Hope you guys are planning on doing another flick? :D

Shoveler
  11. DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff

VIP
    star 5
    That'll be Doom Raiders then Shoveler. :)

Now onto the initial post, having read through it twice, I think what you are saying is that fanfilms tend to focus more on the spectacle and the effects, rather than the story and the acting. I think fanfilm makers can take whatever they want from Star Wars and make their own versions/visions of them. I realise I'll get flak for this, but Star Wars films (for me) are all about the glitz, the action and the special effects. I guess some other fanfilm makers feel the same, and so spend time crafting these aspects of the film.

How many of the first five films end with a 'small one man fighter attacking and destroying the mighty evil fortress? SW, ROTJ and TPM all use the same plot device, but it is always done with such style that I'm happy to watch again and again. Why do people go to the cinema and see the film so many times? It's surely not to fawn over the acting and the wonderful script/story? It's because it's a feast for the eyes, so much so that you can't take it all in in one viewing. Some Fanfilmmakers feel the same, and focus on these aspects (maybe to the detriment of the others)

Don't get upset by these films though, go out and make your vision of Star Wars, and get out of it what you want, one thing I do guarantee is you will get a large group of people saying Great story and great acting while another group of people will say Where are the effects, this is like a costume drama! :)
  12. GrnJalera Jedi Knight

star 3
    Grover - this post is in extremely bad taste. If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all. Or at least post constructive criticism.

And if you don't have the guts to tell the filmmaker what you think (or bother to remember the name of the film you are watching), then you should really keep your mouth shut.

EDIT - if he's talking about his own fan film, then BRAVO [face_laugh] ! If not... :mad:
  13. datoolman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I know exactly which film he is talking about.

D
  14. crutag-ventor Jedi Master

star 4
    halibut?
    I didn?t know you did that film ether. TESBY is a fabulous film and I think very underrated.
    After all it got my wife to laugh, and I?ve been trying to do that for six years! ;)
  15. Shoveler Jedi Knight

star 2
    Thanks Daft, I've been kinda out of the loop with the flicks, lately I've just been lurking and collecting research for my own flick.

Shoveler
  16. RocketGirl Jedi Master

star 4
    TESBY was good...and not good at the same time, IMHO. The first time I saw it, I laughed. A lot. And any random musical numbers (see Tank Girl or Brain Candy, for example) are usually hilarious, and I was impressed to see one in a fan film.

The second time around, only the musical number was still funny. *shrug* Oh, well.
  17. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    collecting research for my own flick.

Well, I'd steer clear of a fight between 2 Jedi and 2 Sith on a desert planet :D
  18. Thesabresmith Jedi Knight

star 1
    I shall try to stay in the middle of the road here... well by that i mean the middle of the road i see as the right one, so there can be no confussion. (Other than that caused by my spelling)

Fan films are amature films. they started out i dare say (With some exceptions obviously) being made by just average guys, not film students, not small professional production companies taking money from students to make a high quality fan film. I know some of the films out there are BAAAADD... But please try and remember we are supossed to be amatures here, aspiring pros perhaps but amatures none the less.

Not all of us can have the money of Knightsquest, the fighting skills of AQOF the acting of... of......?

We do what we can to contribute, to share and have fun. Saying that if people cannot do EVERYTHING to "your" standard of excellence, they shouldn't do it at all is wrong. plain and simple. Just because these "kids" have not had the thousands of dollars and years of training you (Grover) claim to have does not mean you are better than them, and it does not give you the right to be so dissrespectful to their work.

And if Grover takes offense to what i have said i am sorry, and i will just assume they are one of those people who think attaining a black belt is the be-all-and-end-all of martial arts.
  19. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    I have a feeling it's A Dark Beginning. I downloaded it off www.fanfilmxchange.com this morning and wasn't terribly impressed myself.
  20. datoolman Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Yes that's the one he is talking about. It's a Fan Film period. They had fun making it and that's what matters. I thought the probe effects were pretty good myself. The shadows looked good and followed the ground quite well. The sabers also looked nice. The opening credits and the planet scene were outstanding.

D
  21. Shoveler Jedi Knight

star 2
    Well said thesabresmith.

Laughs @ Halibut

Aww but Halibut I didn't think I told ANYBODY my idea! Haha :D

Shoveler
  22. grand_admiral_ewok Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah I did think it was visually very impressive.

Hey Halibut let's hope your signature proves to be right tomorrow.
  23. JediTAC Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Notice how GROVER hasn't reared his uncouthe head since his initial post?
    Hmmm ... gee .... I wonder why? ;)

And don't tell me he doesn't know the name of the FanFilm he watched. If he took all the time to formulate such a scathing post, identifying elements point-by-point, you would think that he could, at the very least, remember the name of the film. (He found it once, he could find it again - and write down the title).

GROVER ..............
    Isn't that a MUPPET from SESEME STREET? [face_laugh]
    Must be his favorite television program - not a Jedi/Sith in the bunch.

24. Rikalonius Jedi Knight

star 3
    Grover is right, to a point. But I agree, adressed in bad taste. Unless, like was said, he was trying to get hits on his own film using reverse psychology. None the less, it takes a lot of work and time to make a fan film. I keep playing with it, but never finishing it. So I don't have room to talk.

However, the reason I think he has at least a decent point to make, is to tell fan film makers, that if your are going to put in the time and effort, do your best. Don't quit early because it is easier. It's a bit frustrating to see the begining of the film start off great and then plumit. But it is a testiment to how hard putting together a film can be.

To the admin I say, I watch star wars over and over because it combines the great affects with a good story in a way that keeps me interested. Final Fantasy was graphicaly wonderful, but I've only watch it once because I never felt pulled to watch it again.

I don't fault anyone out there who makes a film. It motivates me to work on my own. So, I say keep doing what your doing.
  25. Chevalier-mal-Fet Jedi Knight

star 2
    *reads datoolman's last post* I think he missed the point... :p

The object of discussion here isn't whether or not they had fun, or whather or not the sfx were good, but that a fanfilm can only really be an enjoyable fanfilm if it has any of the following (listed in no particular order) in any combination:

1) Decent acting
    2) Decent choreography
    3) A story

It was said that the fanfilm in question had none of those and seemed to showcase the sfx and nothing else. I'm going to stick my precious neck through the guillotine and say that I have to agree with the initial point made. A fanfilm is pretty much going to suck if it's nothing but effects. So kudos to Grover.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.