main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suffering from Star Trek over dose!!!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Lonewolf89, Nov 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVader316

DVader316 Jedi Knight star 7

Feb 18, 2000
    Sturm : God, I used to love Robotech ! I had the entire series, all three generations, on tape, and had even managed to get a copy of the original Japanese pilot as well as some hard to get stuff on the Sentinels era stuff. I loved the final novel that Jack McKinney (Luceno and Daley for those not in the know) did wrapping up the entire series from beginning to end. My only gripe about the cartoon was that I always wanted to see Admiral Rick Hunter return to Earth at the end of the Invid War. Ah well....

2. Shaeri

Shaeri Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 16, 1999
    I was heavily into both Star Trek and Star Wars in junior high. In high school I traded in SW for ST because I really liked Deep Space Nine and because I wasn't impressed with what I'd read of the JAT (not much, admittedly). I put up--barely--with Voyager for a year, then swore off it altogether, and I've done the same with Enterprise after what I've seen of it. I don't care what the ratings say; if the ratings told me to jump off the Brooklyn Bridge, I wouldn't listen to that, either.
    When it comes to reruns, the only ones I'll watch are DS9 and, occasionally, TNG. I never got much into TOS, and I won't touch the other two with a ten-foot pole. As for the movies, I like most of them (I and IX are glaring exceptions), and I'll occasionally dust off those videos, too, especially First Contact. There are a handful of the novels I read, also occasionally, but I'm very picky because (as many have noted in this forum before) a lot of them just plain suck.
    Obviously, though, I got back into SW, and for that I can thank my roommate, who lent me HoT two years ago.

3. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    I'm a Trekkie. I love the new series and I love the theme song. But I don't read a lot of ST books and I don't write ST fanfics (except a crossover). I like SW better.

4. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Ahem, you never have to listen to the ratings, all they show is that there is a big fandome that enjoys the show. But that definatly doesn't mean that everyone has to enjoy it.

5. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    God, I used to love Robotech ! I had the entire series, all three generations, on tape, and had even managed to get a copy of the original Japanese pilot as well as some hard to get stuff on the Sentinels era stuff.

Yeah, it takes some money to get all of the episodes now that the Sci-Suck Channel stopped airing them ( though I heard some episodes were edited here and there. ) I still don't think I've seen every episode ( with Macross I have, as a local video store had the FHM 6-volume "shorter version" videos ) but I only own like 6 episodes of Southern Cross and 2 of New Generation. I rented Sentinels once, but otherwise prefer the comics. I am extremely bummed that the Waltrips didn't get to finish the series. I started as a big fan right from # 1 at 8 years old.

Anyway, I have most of the comics, a few toys and other books. I plan to get the DVDs in the next couple of years. I've read about half of the McKinney novels. I didn't even know that 6 months later, in 1995, I was reading stuff from the same writer ( Daley )...LOL.

I loved the final novel that Jack McKinney (Luceno and Daley for those not in the know) did wrapping up the entire series from beginning to end.

Yeah, I've heard good things about The End of the Circle. I plan to read and watch everything chronologically, eventually.

My only gripe about the cartoon was that I always wanted to see Admiral Rick Hunter return to Earth at the end of the Invid War. Ah well....

Yeah that would be cool. Hopefully new Robotech projects will surface, if Harmony Gold can get their asses in gear and make a good *animated* Robotech 3000, hopefully with some good characters and mecha...

6. casmeraantilles

casmeraantilles Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2002
    Hi Sturm Antilles,
    im Casmera Antilles
    which do you like better: Star Wars or Star Trek?
    Personally I think Star Wars is better.

7. Kier_Nimmion

Kier_Nimmion Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 9, 2000

Sturm,
    Yeah, it takes some money to get all of the episodes now that the Sci-Suck Channel stopped airing them ( though I heard some episodes were edited here and there. )

I have masters of the first 36 episodes (Super Dimension Fortress Macross), that I got Christmas about 8-10 years ago. I think my folks paid about $80 for the 6 tape set.

I still don't think I've seen every episode ( with Macross I have, as a local video store had the FHM 6-volume "shorter version" videos )

That's them and yeah, they are edited. :(

but I only own like 6 episodes of Southern Cross and 2 of New Generation.

I was never sure if they had released Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross or Genesis Climber Mospeada on video. I have seen both in original Japanese, though.

I rented Sentinels once, but otherwise prefer the comics. I am extremely bummed that the Waltrips didn't get to finish the series. I started as a big fan right from # 1 at 8 years old.

As I understand Studio Nue/Tatsunoko Productions were so pissed at Harmnony Gold's handling of Macross etc. that they forbade them from using the characters' likenesses in the Sentinels. Then HG folded before the series was complete.

8. LawgSkrak

LawgSkrak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 23, 1999
    Isn't this in the wrong section?

9. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Hi Sturm Antilles,
    im Casmera Antilles
    which do you like better: Star Wars or Star Trek?
    Personally I think Star Wars is better.

IMO, Star Wars of course. 'Tis why I'm here. :D

I was never sure if they had released Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross or Genesis Climber Mospeada on video. I have seen both in original Japanese, though.

Yes. I have the 1995 rerelease versions in which each video contains 2 episodes of the original Japanese series and the Robotech version. I have one New Generation video and one Southern Cross video like this. It's interesting seeing what lines of dialogue are changed and what scenes are cut.

As I understand Studio Nue/Tatsunoko Productions were so pissed at Harmnony Gold's handling of Macross etc. that they forbade them from using the characters' likenesses in the Sentinels. Then HG folded before the series was complete.

You mean the actual cartoon series? That was stopped from basically money problems and not a huge enough interest in Robotech ( in the boy's market ) in 1986-87. The previous Matchbox toys weren't selling and Robotech The Movie was scrapped after several test screenings in Texas.

So they made the Sentinels into the comic series, which was illustrated by the Waltrip brothers, using material from the show, the McKinney novels and original story material to fill in the gaps.

In 1994, Eternity Comics lost the license, so the team was picked up by Academy Comics. Then Academy folded around 1996-97, thus ending the Sentinels run before the entire story arc could be finished. Robotech was then picked up, with new stories, by Antarctic Press in 1997, but they only retained the license until about 1999. Now there appears to be no Robotech comics. With the death of Brian Daley in 1996, there's no new novels either. All we have is DVDs of the original shows, and some new toys that are hard to get for affordable prices. :( Robotech.com has all the details...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.