main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Sugar in food

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Mar 16, 2016.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Today, the U.K. have unveiled a new sugar tax on soft drinks. The hope is that it'll offset the growing obesity problem here, especially with more children than ever, being overweight.

It's a start, and a somewhat positive thing (I guess). The problem is that unless you make all your food yourself, you are likely to be consuming way more sugar than is healthy, as most foods are full of hidden sugars nowadays.

Processed food, and ready meals are the worst for hidden sugars, but you're not even necessarily safe if you stick to things like fresh fruit and veg.

Many states in the U.S. have some form of soda tax, but it hasn't really abated the obesity problem there.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    You fat ****.

3. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    1st senate tag fail for punk

4. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    But rather than tax, I think they'd be better off restricting the food makers. But I'm sure it's easier to punish the little man.

5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I get free soda at work, but I exercise frequently to keep the weight off.

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I love that avatar...one dog goes one way the other dog goes the other way...and this guy's like "whaddya want from me?"

7. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    Piling on taxes is an effective way to reduce consumption though. It worked with tobacco in the U.S. But I'd also like to see a major public health consumer education campaign. Britain is actually one of the best countries in the world, if not the very best, in creating and running those kinds of campaigns. It's a great tool in the public health arsenal along with, of course, socialized medicine. It's relatively easy to test and measure outcomes.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    That's the point of this law. People have a major financial incentive to prefer cheaper, processed foods to healthier but more expensive alternatives. A tax helps level the playing field.

DavidSword79 and Darth Punk like this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Was it taxes though, or was it successful negative advertising and a ban on positive advertising, and smarter younger generations that has seen cigarette consumption lower? As a smoker, it would take a serious increase in taxes for it to be a reason for me to quit. Like..prices triple- or quadrupling.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree, I don't think taxes alone do much in cases like this. They can help in conjunction with a public health consumer education campaign, though, like Rylo Ken said.

Diggy and Rylo Ken like this.
  11. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    right. I agree that lowering the prevalence rate of smoking in the U.S. was the result of a multi-pronged approach.

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Supposedly, that tax money that will be generated in the UK, will be plowed back into education, and activities at schools

Jedi Ben and Colm like this.
  13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Yes, and I've just heard that it is the companies being taxed rather than the end user, so that's good.

14. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Surely, they'll just raise prices. This may end up being another tax on dumb people

Jedi Ben and slightly_unhinged like this.
  15. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Oh for sure.

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Yeah, they've got to do something. Type II diabetes treatment accounts for about 10% of the NHS pharmaceutical budget.

Without wanting to get too tin foil hat, the food and pharma lobbies are ridiculously strong and have plenty of government ministers in their pockets. I'm sure this is only happening because they've found another way to beat baby seals to death with lead pipes for money.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    What would work better is honest labeling on the actual sugar content, thus:

This bar contains 50% of your daily sugar.

Not the current style:

20g of this product provides 0.2 of your daily allowance (or some such opaque rubbish).

Of course, that might actually see sales of sugary crap fall and loss of tax revenue. As to who gets the tax money - well, they need to fund all those academies somehow....

18. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    Don't hold the manufacturers responsible, instead tax the populace for being addicted to it. Hooray capitalism!

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Today I had a coke, Madagascan Vanilla icecream, two Milkyways, and a Galaxy Ripple. Screw this health thing.

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  20. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Lightweight - Chai Latte is what the real sugar fiends hit.

(Ever since that 25 teaspoons of sugar to a latte report came out, I've felt far better about my bad habits!)

21. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Lets just go back to blaming carbs for making people fat and leave sugar alone.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Not true. No state has a sugary drink tax. NYC has a soda tax, but it's far less broad the the UK's.

To look for an example of a soda tax similar to the one in Britain, look at Mexico. They instituted a sugary drink tax and it's been successful in reducing the amount consumed by people. No, a small tax will not significantly reduce obesity rates, but sugary drinks account for a large chunk of the added sugar consumed by people.
    I hope you're joking.

23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    you're right. I mistook sales tax on soda (which I think does exist in many states), to be a soda tax in the mexican/uk sense.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sales taxes do exist in most states (hooray for putting the burden on people who are less able to bear it), but they don't target soda specifically AFAIK.

25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i think we should tax posts on this board.