main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suggestion: Creation of The Clone Wars [Spoiler] VS [Non Spoiler] forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by TiniTinyTony , Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Under the Star Wars Television board, there is currently one forum: "Live Action, Clone Wars & Classics". With the increased activity in this forum due to the popularity of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" cartoon, there has been an abundance of spoilers being posted in threads and also spoilers posted in thread titles.

May I humbly suggest that two new forums be created under the Star Wars Television board:

- TCW
    - TCW (No Spoilers)

My hope is that these forums would function in the same way that the old "Revenge of the Sith" forums would function, and you'd have to register to post in the No Spoiler forum. Thank you for your time.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    We (the mods & admins) have had discussions on this in the past and we've decided that separate forums aren't really needed. If spoilers are appearing in non-spoiler threads or thread titles that should be taken up with the forum mods.

However, we understand that one source of spoilers has been the TFN News box. That box has now been removed from all of the LACWAC banners so you won't see it in the forum. (You'll still have to be careful on other boards here though). The announcement on the newsbox removal is here in LACWAC.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Most previous discussions on splitting the forum have dealt with splitting TCW off from Live Action and Classics (or something similar). But I think the same points still apply in there not really being enough demand or need (at least at the currect time) for splitting the forum. Plus, if we split TCW based on spoilers, where do the other shows go?

That said, I'm always open to hearing further arguments and reasons to support this.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There's not much I can say to elaborate on what LAJ and R...J just said. This has been brought up before (if memory serves, there was a Comms debate about it barely 6 months ago), and basically it comes down to demand. There aren't enough non-spoiler users to warrant a separate board. In the days of the PT it made sense when TFN was flooded by fans, but it's fairly quiet now.

I think our biggest problem is the OS publicizing the best surprises of each episode before the episodes air. I've never had a problem with spoilers before, but this is starting to annoy even me. With the "Latest News" box removed from the bottom of the screen now, spoilers should be a little easier to contain.

If TCW becomes increasingly more popular and we get more frequent visitors, I'd be fine with taking this to a public vote.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
  6. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    So this is going to seem like an MS gang-up, but that's not intentional.

Another consideration is that unlike it was in regards to the movies where you had a long spoiler period and then a single point at which things were no longer a spoiler, for the TV series you have to take into the account that every week things change from spoiler to non-spoiler. In creating two forums we'd end up with two communities as a direct response. And thus after an episode airs people won't then move across to one forum or the other to discuss it but remain in their chosen one, creating two forums for the discussion of the TV series.

7. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yup, nothing to add really.

Except that as a former member of both 2NS and 3NS, and as a mod of 3NS, I just can't see it working.

We are working on possibly amending our policy with respect to discussion of any of the video clips: moving those into one thread only.

We have removed the newsbox.

We have asked people to be careful when starting new threads that contain possible spoilers; between those threads and the general discussion thread, that's where the new info should come in.

We also have a rolling non-spoiler thread that itself got locked because no one used it.

We might want to rethink the policy if and when the LAS ever gets off the ground, but even then, there simply could be spoiler and non-spoiler episode discussion threads each week.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't post in that forum but I lurk a lot. I like reading about what's going to happen next. Since television is a weekly thing why not just have two threads per episode if spoilers are really that big of an issue? As someone who isn't a active member of that forum, just a outsider looking in....I don't think spoilers have gotten out of control to the point where there needs to be two forums.

9. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Thanks Rox.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.