main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suggestion for Comms thread - Games signups

Discussion in 'Communications' started by halibut, Feb 16, 2015.

1. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Since the demise of the wonderful "Round the boards" updates, we've lost what I feel is an excellent resource, namely what boards are hosting what games.

For example, at the moment, the PT board is looking for participants for a game and I feel that if there is one thread where the appropriate mods from around the boards can advertise their games, it will increase traffic to their areas. I have no doubt that there are games in places I don't normally visit which I would gladly sign up for if I was aware they were happening.

Some of these games can last for months, so if someone, on the off-chance, comes across a game that has only just started, it's quite likely they will forget about it by the time the new sign-ups start.

So I suggest a thread here in Comms where mods can make a wider userbase aware of games which are looking for contestants.

Flapjack4 and Admiral Volshe like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    The only problem I see with that is having it here in Comms. This board usually isn't the first stop of new users (unless they are requesting access to the VII NSA forum). Perhaps having a thread in WNU would be a better idea. I have no fault with your suggestion - it's just deciding where to have a thread about it.

3. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, Comms is about communicating with the userbase, and it used to be part of the "Around the boards" Comms threads.

It's not about the "first stop", it's about a place where everyone should be familiar with, old and new. That's Comms. Having it in WNU would be completely pointless. The idea is about showing everyone (not just new users) what is going on in places they might not otherwise frequent on a regular basis.

4. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's not a bad idea.

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I like the idea and I think I'm in the Comms camp as regards placement since in the most abstract (Though maybe not practical) theory everyone should be checking Comms for this sort of information.

6. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I'll throw in my two cents: this is a great idea, and I think Comms is the best place for it. I pay way more attention to Comms than WNU. I only poke my head into the latter for markup code testing and Teh Mole, and for the latter I typically reach the thread directly via email notification without looking at the thread list. (Speaking of which, Teh Mole currently needs more players for a new round! ;))

7. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yeah, agreed that it's a good idea, and that it should be located in comms.

As for the PT game.... good luck. I don't like the way that forum is modded, so I stay far away.

halibut likes this.
  8. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    I like this idea. The EUC and SWC host the Starfighter and Jedi drafts respectively and both are the sort of games that are mentioned in the OP here, longer duration games that could be forgotten about by a potential player who just missed out on signing up. Having a central thread here in Comms would be a great way to keep everyone apprised of their progress and when new signups will be approaching. I assume that such a thread would be "sticked" to keep it on the front page, but would the thread be a "locked" thread so only mods could add updates to it or are we envisioning something a bit more free wheeling?

[​IMG]

heels1785 likes this.
  9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    I don't like the way that forum is modded, so I stay far away.
    ------------

never seen you in there...and it's modded just fine.

I too like this idea :)

Bazinga'd likes this.
  10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    How is that even relevant to this thread?

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was commenting about the particular forum that was mentioned in the opening post.

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012

Stop with the bull crap, please. Try to add something to the conversation other than your blatant dislike for me. No one should care whether you like or dislike me or how the PT is moderated; its your subjective opinion and not relevant.

Having said that, I like halibut's idea.

13. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Can we please move the bickering to another thread please, thank ye muchly xx

Bazinga'd likes this.
  14. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I think that Comms is a good landing spot, but I don't think it'd necessarily be wrong to put a copy of the thread stickied at the top of the highest-volume boards for a bit, either - 7SA, WNU, JCC - just to groom people to check Comms more frequently for not-so-serious stuff.

15. halibut

Aug 27, 2000
    Well, the issue of getting more people to check Comms is a separate one and is probably deserving of another discussion. But every user should be aware of Comms - As said, it's how the mods give info to the userbase.

There's no excuse for members not to be aware of Comms. It's the only board that the entire userbase should be aware of. Which is why I chose it for this idea.

jcgoble3 and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Comms referring to communication from around the boards, I think this is the best place for it. Plus it's about games -- it gives off more of a positive vibe. For the last many years now Comms has been dedicated to posts about board malfunctions, user malfunctions, and adbot malfunctions. It would be good to have something more uplifting for a change.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  17. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    This.

18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    No, this is a terrible idea. We don't need stickied threads to tell people about comms. It's the second thread listed on the main forum list. It's not difficult to find.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Fair enough. I'm just trying to think back when I started, if I frequented this board.

Regardless, it's a good idea, hal.

20. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm sorry but unless we are calling for a Mod to step down or for a forum to be closed, merged or de-merged then it has no place in Comms.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.