main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suggestion: Prolong the Clone Wars!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Calgmoth, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    As three years already seemed to be too little time for all these battles happening with Anakin and Obi-Wan in their midst, I'd like to suggest that the guys in charge of the chronology just should prolong the Clone Wars now with TCW messing with the continuity.

Say, make the war five or six years long, with TCW stuff happening late in the war between 'Jedi Trial'/'Yoda: Dark Rendezvous' and LOE. Thus most of the old chronology could be saved as in TCW itself there are no hints given as to how long the war rages on in the actual episodes.

The same could be also done - by the way - with the time passing between the OT movies.

Any thoughts about that?

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No, three years is fine. You're only going to make matters much worse if you extend the time.

3. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    :confused: but AOTC takes place 22BBY, so unless then go to another dimension where time moves slower prolonging the war ain't going to happen. That being said i can see 5 seasons of TCW = almost 3 years of war. heck the first two seasons can be one year or less IMO. Anakin and co. don't get much down-time, and with all the side stories we have been getting, making it all fit 3 years won't be hard.

EDIT: Prolong the war Calgmoth? Do you work for Blackwater or Halliburton??:p

4. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    No, no, no, no, no. Because extending te Clone Wars even one year would push every other date in the Star Wars saga back. The continuity headaches to the Clone Wars era made by this series do not need to extend to the rest of the Saga.

5. TheMacUnleashed

TheMacUnleashed Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    This. I mean, they've been jumping around in time so much that it's clear they can stretch the series out for more years than the war was. There are plenty of stories to tell within three year's time.

6. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Can't be done- any expansion of the timeline affects the other dates- small things such as, I dunno, Luke & Leia's age/birthyear. ;)

Compress it the other way and now you're messing with Anakin and Padme's ages and starting to make them get married extremely young.

7. fett51

fett51 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 17, 2008
    They could come at it the other way and push TPM and AotC further back in the timeline.

As it stands now, I'm not seeing a need. If Clone Wars runs so long we're looking on having a story set on every single day of the war though, that might be something they have to consider.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think you need to worry about that- even with all the comics, novels and acrtoons released over the past 7 years, there wasn't enough to cover every day of the war (and I can prove it ;)).

Sure, there's 2-4 months in there that are pretty packed but more than half the war's timeline was essentially empty before TCW started. And TCW has made it necessary to further compress existing events so there's even more space now than before.

9. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Depends on how long, I suppose. Adding one or two years to the existing dates doesn't really sound like such a complicated job, to be honest, though I note that any extensions will have to be for BBY. If the Clone Wars extends to five years rather than three, then 22 BBY becomes 24 BBY, ad infinitum anything prior to AOTC.

I'm not sure whether it was said anywhere, but now and then I hear vague bits that they might very well extend the actual length of the war. I'm a little on the fence about this. On the one hand, it's not necessarily something that needs to be done. On the other hand, with more time, you could potentially add more gravitas to the situation and the characters, such as Obi-Wan's confidence that 'it won't be long before the council makes Anakin a master'. Of course, that's from...a certain point of view. ;)

10. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Episodes generally take place over 1-3 days in-universe, from what I've seen; sometimes less (Hostage Crisis looked like it was just one morning). Multiple 5 x 22. That's 110. 110 episodes, meaning anywhere from 110 to 330 days. And not every episode focuses on Anakin, Obi-Wan, or Ahsoka.

There's no need to mess with the timeline.

11. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    I really, really hate that aspect of the series. [face_tired]

12. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Don't worry, we know. But it is rather off topic no? Lets talk about the timeline more.
    Like Quest said, it can't be done, and it doesn't need to be done. While the series itself doesn't seem to have any concurrent episodes taking place at the same time, it does not mean that all other material must be sequential as well.

Hell, TCW even implies that Mace Windu's Battle of Dantooine from the Genndy series took place at the same time as the Second Geonosis.
    It doesn't need to be extended, just organized as best it can.

13. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Not the place for this line of discussion, fella. A war is fought by more than three individuals, and I'll leave it at that.

14. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    No need to. They can easily squeeze the 5 season(probably more) of TCW into the timeline. They can make things happening at the same time etc etc.

15. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    They didn't come out and say that. In the episode guide, they don't want any sort of connection yet.

16. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    moving TPM and AOTC back wouldn't affect anyones birth years after the war- but i don't see any need either -there is a time

17. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    They can take the M*A*S*H approach. It ran 11 seasons, 250 something episodes and also covered a 3 year conflict.

18. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, if they took away a year between ROTS and ANH, I'm sure they can add a year in between AOTC and ROTS, but there isn't a need to do either.

19. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Not if the same characters are used in every episode. :p

20. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    I would be happy if the war lasted a couple of more years. Obi Wan has some white in his hair in episode 3, and in Lucas world that means a character is getting old. I also hate the idea that Anakin was just a kid when he became Vader, I prefer to think he was 28-29 instead of 23. I have always considered the war to last more than 3-4 years in my personal timeline.

It would also be nice to see Ashoka become a Jedi Knight.

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Some more years wouldn't hurt the movietimeline -but remember sw-years are longer than normal earthyears 368 days:-B - 35 days in a month, 10 months in a year and then festivalweeks and something additional.... means that every year has 3 extra days- that explains this a bit... well not much but a bit.... And Anakin was not a kid when becoming Vader... well from a certaion point of view he was a kid... but it was " a young jedi named Darth Vader who helped Empire to hunt down jedi knights" when i first heard the line i immediately though "So it's some evil kid who grew up to be evil man in armor"[face_laugh] ....

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, I mean if you move AOTC back a couple, now Anakin is getting married at around 16-17 years old.

23. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    No such thing. Everything is in one timeline. You're basically going to cause a wreckage of continuity of you mess with the years. TCW has already caused enough stress on continuity.

24. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    no- where that thought came? It has nothing to do with clone wars - i meant if whole timeline is moved- if tpm and aotc still have ten years between them but they took place earlier compared to others- still i don't think it's needed but it's extreme retcon if needed

25. GGrievous

Nov 6, 2005
    2ndQuest is right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.