main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suggestion: Prolong the Clone Wars!

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth_Calgmoth, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    movietimeline is movietimeline- i was not talking about continuity- i am against this idea because it would wreck most continuity issues yes- but movies don't exactly say how long clone war lasted- some more years wouldn't hurt moviecontinuity there is such thing as moviecontinuity- G-canon- you can say whatever you want but G-canon overwrites the continuity canon- if Lucas thinks timeline change is needed then it changes eu has to follow.... still i think 3 years works well- first year 22 bby had AOTC and muunilinst, jabiim, aargonar etc. and anakin's knighting second year 21 bby started with christophsis and now it's ending and 20 bby is starting and 19 bby sees the end of the clone war and rise of the empire- no probs

2. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    The "movie timeline" is part of the entire timeline, which is part of continuity/canon. It's not that confusing. If you push everything back to extend the time of the CW, you're going to create a huge mess. Everything will have to be reorganized and fixed, and you're talking about every date. This is how it should stay (Rise of the Empire era): 1,000 BBY is the reformation of the Republic, 44 is the Stark War, 32 BBY is the Naboo invasion, and 22 BBY is the start of the CW, with 19 BBY as its end date.

And, yes, 3 years is fine. Lucas himself has stated AOTC and ROTS take place within a few years within each other, and ANH takes place 32 years after TPM.

3. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    yes if only aotc is moved -but i meant whole timeline before the war... placing TPM tpo 35 bby for example and aotc to 25 bby would give 6 years to war and anakin would still marry at the age of 20- but he would be 26 at the end of the war and not 23 as he is now BUT I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA EITHER... but it's extreme continuity change if needed- but for now it's not needed- probably half of the series is now gone and about the half of the war- they should end the story within 100 episodes and then return to tell prequels if they want to do more TCW- but i think after TCW we don't need more clone wars- but TGCW- The Galactic civil war- 3 years between ANH and ESB would make similar series- and even better maybe- less jedi- less politics -more action...... or then Ahsoka's own series that follows her life during and after Rots and her desperate struggle against her old master and the Empire.... that of course if ahsoka is not killed in this series....

4. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    Yes i agree- i just said moviecanon says nothing about that and moviecanon is only canon that is completely free to changes- it can be changed but it shouldn't it's pointless to have this debate if we agree- but you must admit that Lucas can change it if he wants- but he shouldn't[face_shame_on_you]

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Ah, yeah, if you move both TPM and AOTC then it might be theoretically feasible, but I think the time for that to happen is long past. Lucas already extended the CW timeline by a year back in 2003/2004 (the CW were originally only 2 years long, but they added on a year after they started doing the original CW multimedia campaign).

6. Darth_Calgmoth

Darth_Calgmoth Jedi Master star 2

Jul 7, 2006
    Well, my point would be that the dating of the old CW stuff (comics and novels alike) was an essential part of the stories itself, and practically can't make Anakin a Jedi Knight shortly after Geonosis and still retain the stories in which he supposedly was a Padawan until two years after the first Battle of Geonosis.
    And there is no way how all TCW episodes and the other CW can happen in the third year of the war.

But adding a few years to the Clone Wars would not confuse that much, I think. Only the birth dates of some of the PT characters when using the before BoY time reckoning. I'd not even move the Battle of Ruusan. It simply makes no difference if it was 1,000 or 1,003 years before TPM.

GL originally said (when TPM came out) that there would ten years pass between all three movies, so the Clone Wars once raged for ten years.

I really think that retconning the time line ist much more easier and not so problematic than actually changing the events which are described in movies, episodes, novels etc. by just publishing other stuff which state how things 'really' happened. But time line stuff is mostly only read by the real nerds, not the common SW fan, so I think that would be much better than to rearrange the events that might or might not have happened.

7. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    I know the war is supposed to take place over 3 years, but I've always preferred to think of it a couple years longer, if only because Anakin changes so much. In order for that theory to apply to continuity I guess Anakin and Padme could have been younger, which wouldn't mess with the timeline too much in my imagination.
    That being said, depending on what happens over the coming entirety TCW show, I'd be willing to disregard much of it for my own comfort.

8. FalorWindrider

FalorWindrider Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 7, 2010
    Eh, ask someone who was in World War II, or Vietnam, or really any war. Three years is a long time, and it most definitely changes you. Anakin's change in personality isn't a continuity error, it's fridge brilliance.

9. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Eh, I guess you're right. Maybe I just like the number 5 better than 3.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    There's no real need to tweak with the timeline like that. If Anakin is knighted in 21BBY as the most recent source stated (and it's now likely early 21BBY), then you have anywhere between 18 months and 2 full years of time to play with for the entire show's 5 season run.

I'd like to believe he was knighted around 12 months ABG, with his duel against Ventress on Coruscant taking place perhaps another month or so later. If you then leave Obsession in its original placement in the timeline (31 months ABG), that leaves 18 or so months for the entire show's 4-6 season run to fit. Giving us at least 3 months for each season. After 2 and a half seasons, I'm guessing we've probably covered what would've been most of 21 BBY all the way up until Ziro's death, and new episodes from now on can take place somewhere in 20 BBY, leaving nearly a full 12 months for 2-4 more seasons.

Of course, all that's just a guess, and we could easily have episodes that take place all the way up until shortly before Episode III (though we'll be screwed if Ventress is in any finale that takes place during the Battle of Coruscant), but that just gives us another 4-5 months to play with.

The clone wars timeline has major continuity issues, yes, the worst Lucas has ever given us, yes, but they're not 'impossible' to reconcile.

Having said that, moving around content within 3 years is 'much, much' easier than adding more years to the war and truly messing up the timeline.

11. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it's apparent that GL will only count and discount what he wishes to use on the big or small screen. I wouldn't think what is written in some comic book, or some novel written by some obscure novelist who don't care to read, nevermind research, what others have done before him, is what I would consider official canonical storylines. So, why bother banging your heads against the wall to figure out why it doesn't fit? It's apparent they don't care about what others have put out, so why should you? We need to seperate the mediums for what they really are, money makers, regardless if they make sense or not with each other. The sooner you all accept this, the better it will be to stomach what is sure to be coming, which are more contradictions.

12. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010
    I care, because George Lucas's contributions to his own universe tend to be worse than the EU. I'd rather have the EU stay intact.

13. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I agree firesaber. That or they can use the Simpsons time method: basically Bart and Lisa have been in the same school grades for more than 20 real years!

The only thing they can't do is give specific time frames in TCW, or kill or create characters without keeping track of them all.

What we do know is Padme and Anakin get married at the end of AOTC and Padme gives birth in ROTS, so if shes human, were talking 9 months before. Fit whatever you can between those two time references.

14. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    But most of it is garbage, and contradicts much of GL's universe, anyway, so why would you care to have it all count?

By the way, I'm not against EU storytelling. I'm just flexible to what and what isn't what I consider to be part of the main timeline. Again, I'm only counting what I deem is good and what actually fits in the overall picture, and considering what I have read, it wouldn't be much.

15. FalorWindrider

Jun 7, 2010
    Eh, a lot of it is several orders of magnitude better than George Lucas's output. I'd take the EU over his recent stuff any day.

16. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    I'd say leave the time period the way it is. Doesn't help that the new series is already demolishing previously established canon, we don't need any more confusion

17. Executor_of_Order66

Executor_of_Order66 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2009
    My God it is not that hard. Yes you can make the clone wars longer just make each one of the characters older by the time of Rots.

For example, Lets say in the time line right now Anakin is 20 and the timeline is at 22 BBY at the start of the clone wars and then Anakin is 23 and the timeline is at 19 BBY when ROTS happens. If you extend the clone wars to 5 years instead of 3 you will still have Anakin being 20 and the year at 24 BBY at the beginning of the clone wars but at ROTS Anakin is 25 and the year is 19 BBY. The events before the clone wars get pushed back a couple years and every one ages one or two years more.

If some ones age changes by one or two years is enough for people to start yelling continuity issues then Star Wars might as well stop right now.

18. GreyJedi23

GreyJedi23 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2010
    The problem with that is that it messes up the continuity of everything post ROTS

19. Executor_of_Order66

Jul 14, 2009
    No it does not. Luke and Leia are still born at 19 BBY meaning they are 19 in A New Hope. No continuity issues there except Padme was a few years older when she died. That is all that happen. The Prequel cast just has a couple years added on to their age when ROTS starts. Nothing is messed up post ROTS.

I don't think the clone wars needs to be extended but if it is extended on the timeline it is no big deal.

20. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    i don't know where do you get that[face_thinking] but no one is moving date 0bby so everything post-Rots would remain- moving 0bby off from the battle of Yavin- well would be very odd :p
    Still i don't like this extending idea- three years is enough for now for the Clone Wars- 20 bby is just starting with Savage and all- clones receive their new armor soon and so on.... there is still more than year left before Rots....

21. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    what if Eu would just lose it's Star Wars status and would be just a parallel universe somehow mirroring Lucas-canon - since Star Wars i like and Star Wars people like you seem to like are definitely not the same universeo_O better or worse depends from opinion you cannot use your own opinion as reason- as creator George has rights to decide about Star Wars....

so we should have a Star Wars-saga by George Lucas and then Galaxy of Pointless Wars- 100000000 years of repetitive history of galaxy in which nothing changes but- well at least there is some "good stories" between bad ones- or then just one continuity that changes when saga is completed by Lucas- keeping Eu intact has never been easy- retcons are needed- like death star plans or battle of Yavin- it needed million retcons to make all stories work- even somehow-
    but after all fictional history is much more interesting because it can change - for me Star Wars is boring if we just stick with EU-continuity- it has expanded too much to be believable at all -thousands of years and nothing- absolutely nothing- changes.... if Yuuzhan Vong era would've been last chapter... but no way they had to do legacy which is actually copy of the Old Republic Era:oops: ....

i prefer Lucas-canon he always makes something new and fresh- even though always those additions are not good i agree with that- eu recycles same ideas over and over again- without Lucas and prequels we would've probably seen rebe.... cough cough i mean new republic forces blowing up death star 1286.... even Kotor (even though i love that game[face_love] ) is actually rewritten ANH with some additions and changes.... i was nearly done with Star Wars when TCW and TFU came out- they opened that universe for me again- something new and fresh and still classic Star Wars feel additions to my favorite movies of all time- eu was never able to do that so i cannot really say it's good- there is many eu-works i like but i don't like the established continuity- it's too strict history for fiction that is supposedly fun and imaginative- i like real-world history but because it is true- star wars is not- it shouldn't be like history because it's not true anyway it has possibility of changing we should let it change- for now all changes have been minor issues- even Mandalore remained as ancient warriorculture and most backstories are left alone or changed lightly.... eu lives we don't need to kill it but eu has to change when continuity does...

22. Executor_of_Order66

Jul 14, 2009
    I think three years is enough too and I don't think they need to extend it but if they do I know they can without it doing any major continuity damage to the saga.

23. Swashbucklingjedi

Oct 3, 2010
    but damage to EU would be considerable- TCW needs to focus more on those characters whose personal timeline is not researched thoroughly- Ki-Adi, Fisto, Plo (without Ahsoka), Eeth Koth, Shaak Ti, Adi Gallia- there is plenty of possible adventures for those minor jedi and what tcw-makers will do? They mess up with Anakin's timeline :oops:

24. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    As stated by others, 3 years is plenty of time. For comparison, the U.S. Civil War was 4 years (roughly) and there's no counting how many separate stories you can tell out of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.