main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

suggestion

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Kerr_Plunk, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerr_Plunk

Kerr_Plunk Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 2, 2002

i thought it might be helpful if a link to the Guide to Admins and Forums was made available in the headers/footers of all the forums, and/or the name(s) of the specific forum Mod, and appropriate link(s) (i.e. profile page) up there as well...

here are a few examples of where the links could go:

1. Guide to Admins and Forums in header/footer
    2. Communications Mod(s) in header/footer
    3. Communications Mod(s) given their own <td> section

at the very least, have the "Guide to Admins and Forums" somewhere...

i am not suggesting that each one of those examples be implemented.. just one of them should work fine...

pro: it will help persons know/identify who the particular forum mods are
    con: it takes up space, looks cluttered
    pro: people will get used to it, just like they did when the headers were first introduced
    con: no way of knowing if people even notice those beneficial links in the header/footer
    pro: easy way to contact a mod
    con: may confuse people about availability, who can resolve a board issue, etc...
    pro: could disable linking of Mod names
    pro: could have an additional link to Night4554's "There's a problem on the boards!" thread - which i would suggest renaming for this purpose (something like, "How to contact a Mod/Manager/Admin/")

anyway... that's it.. so.. is this where i say "discuss"? :D

edit 3: derr_plunk!

2. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
  3. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I don't think it's technically possible to have a new row under Post New Topic, but putting </td><td> or <br> in the header would put a new line under the header.

I also know she didn't show it, but if possible this looks good too

¤Night

4. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002

hehee.. Night.. you were snooping, huh? ;)

the problem with that one, that i noticed, is that when you go into a thread, the thread title appears in that empty field.. so, i don't think that one is even possible :(

5. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    When you go from 2 to 3 to 6 I get curious ;)

I see what you mean though.

And for the record, I don't care what the administration does to my Problem thread.

¤Night

6. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Good idea Kerr_Plunk.

Is there any chance of this being done?

7. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    You know I'm a little confused as to why they link to the informational forum and to threads in it.

Other then that I have a few concerns which Plunky seems to have mentioned and want to know what the mods think.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Personally, I like Kerr_Plunk's second choice up there in her first post.

The fact that I love her with all of my heart does not enter into the discussion . . . ;)

9. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    What a great and useful idea! I'm shocked that no one had thought of it before.

10. Kerr_Plunk

Apr 2, 2002

it was pointed out to me that the Games* forum already has something similar to what i am proposing, in the header...

*enter at your own risk ;)

11. MasterPulp

MasterPulp Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 17, 2002
    You're just being modest. Admit it, you implemented in the games forum to give yourself leverage here... Very crafty.

Okay, so I was wrong. I still think that's a really good idea. I know I always assume someone else will take the time to PM a mod so I won't have to.

12. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Would a mod like to comment on this?

13. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    On FanForce we have something similar. I am the CR for San Diego, so there is a link at the top of the San Diego FanForce boards that says "Contact San Diego's City Rep." You need to discuss this with the mod of the particular boards you wish to have links for.

14. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    That is actually a wonderfull idea Kerr_Plunk :)

15. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Great idea, Kerr_Plunk . :)

16. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    you're talking about a "sticky" at the top, right? sounds good.

17. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Thanks for bringing this up Kerr_Plunk. Adding links to the forum moderators was going to be done with some of the forums, but it kinda got lost in amongst everything else, and was forgotten.

Some problems with it though:
    1) As others have said, we can't alther anything except for the first table of the boards. While we can separate that table into others, everything we change will still have to exist above the table that has the Login and option links.

2) We have a 1500 character limit, so for some forums, it might not be possible to firt all of the admins in there with all of the links. Either some sacrifices have to be made, or we come up with a different alternative, like a page that we can link to different sections of.

3) No matter what is done, the very last line of the table has to have the navigation links as IGNBoards automatically adds the thread title or "Post Reply" to the end of the table, and in tests, it does look wierd when appended to other things.

That being said, keep thinking and suggesting with these things now in mind. The headers are there for everyones benefit, so if you think of better ways to use them, we're happy to hear them.

18. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Thanks for all the suggestions, KP. As mentioned by Kadue, we are sometimes limited by the programming. But your ideas are fantastic and some templates are being developed in Mod Squad.

19. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    We've implemented some of the suggestions in the Literature forum.

20. Yomin_Carr

Yomin_Carr Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2002
    I'm not sure this relates to this topic, but the Roleplaying Forum has a "Contact a Forum Moderator" in its header added today.

21. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Yep, I updated the RP header with some of the new things we've been looking at, at DA's request. Currently we have about 4 different versions of what we can do depending on the forum and what we want, and we're finding out some more ways to circumvent the limitations we thought we had.

Currently only 3SA, Lit and RP have had alterations made, but we'll get through all of them eventually. Keep suggesting things that you think might be worth having there, and other possible ways to display it all. :)

22. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    I'm pretty sure I solved the length problem!

First, open notepad and paste soemthing to this effect:

document.write("PM a forum moderator: <a class=\"kad\" href=\"http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=242022\">Kadue</a> | <a class=\"tg\" href=\"http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=233338\">The Gatherer</a> | <a class=\"gtg\" href=\"http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=240887\">Gandolf the Grey</a> | <a class=\"sta\" href=\"http://boards.theforce.net/pm_send.asp?usr=242055\">Sturm Antilles</a>");

Then save it as a .js file and add this to the header:

<script type="text/javascript" src="YOURFILENAME.js"></script>

This will call the js file using javascript, execute it, outputting the contents to the screen.

All you need to remeber is always include a \ before any quotations marks in the document.write("TEXT AREA");

You can then use any amount of characters you want, and can host the js file on TFN in that www1.theforce.net/JC/ folder the images are stored in.

Go test it!

¤Night

23. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    We're way ahead of you. ;)

But thanks for the advice anyway! :)

24. Night4554

Oct 9, 2000
    But but but

I posted less than 3 hours after Kadue asked for ideas on how to display it!

:(

¤Night

25. green_cross_code

green_cross_code Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 11, 2000
    I think Kadue means the visual layout. We're just starting to play around with external JS files at the moment.

But if we weren't, you certainly would have prompted us to!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.