main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Hou, TX Suggestions and Discussion of new places to hold monthly meetings.

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by ID6796, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Lets start thinking of different places to hold the meetings. A couple of reasons to consider this that the drive for some of the regulars is way further than for others. And another reason is we get to try out new places and try their munchies.

Any interest?

2. ID6796

ID6796 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 26, 2009
    Forgot to put in the original post. Maybe move quarterly to the next location. Something to consider.

3. TK8171

TK8171 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 21, 2009
    Has anyone thought about this? Is Stag's our official spot? I like Stag's, but a change up every once in awhile might be cool too. :)

4. _erikstormtrooper_

_erikstormtrooper_ Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2006
    The Stag's Head is not our official meeting spot. This question often comes up, but we have trouble coming up with any alternatives. So if anyone has a specific suggestion, please share.

We tried a different spot once - a pizza place. (I don't remember the name of the place, but maybe David or Ian do.) It didn't really make a difference in turnout, so I think we just decided to shift back to Stag's Head after that.

If nothing else, Stag's Head gets all kinds of strange types in there. So a table full of people with Star Wars shirts and helmets won't really stand out too much. One time these guys came through with bagpipes and played INSIDE for about 10 minutes. Talk about LOUD. But it was cool and different.

So I guess it has become comfortable for us to meet there. We know what to expect.

As far as location, I think anything inside the loop is a good idea. Since we live in different places and Houston is so big, a centrally-located meeting spot is best. Since I live up in Spring, I just expect I'll have a long drive.

5. StormMoose

StormMoose Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 12, 2005
    It was three of us at Double Daves pizza. At that time turnout was 3-5 of us at best. I do agree inside the loop works better but am up for a drive if needed. We have had some good turn outs at Stags Head but change can be good.

6. Zakk

Zakk Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2006
    Two Rows in the Rice Village Arcade is a good spot that can accommodate a group either inside or out and has a rounded menu if you folks typically do food/drinks. We've done numerous fantasy football events there and they worked out.

7. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    My wife and I love Two Rows, it's a great spot. Food is better than Stag's (though a bit more expensive).

Two Rows or Stag's, I'm happy with either one.

8. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
  9. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Erik kinda said it right, we know what to expect there and a pub full of weirdos or us kinda fits right. The convenience and relaxed atmosphere works for us. I drive from New Caney. Pretty much a 1hour drive for me. It is worth it though to hang with great friends and Star Wars fans.

10. Amidala Starkiller

Amidala Starkiller Jedi Master star 6

Dec 11, 1999
    We have always had luck at places like Jason's Deli. It was reasonably priced and you didn't feel pressured to order food.

11. TI1420

TI1420 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2002
    Bodegas Taco Shop is very tasty, casual enough to use for our meetings, and open until at 10pm on Saturdays. The only thing is that parking isn't the greatest.

12. TK8171

Feb 21, 2009
    Very good place Ian. Parking is the issue there.

13. _erikstormtrooper_

May 26, 2006
    I was hoping we'd discuss this issue at this past meeting, but we didn't really get a chance. It was crowded at Stag's Head because of a pub crawl, but it usually isn't like that.

One of the good things about Stag's Head is that we're able to pull plenty of tables together when Star Wars people show up. If we want to look at other places, I think we should find a place where we can do that with tables - and hopefully be inside.

14. Zakk

Zakk Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2006
    I think finding alternate venues will be a bit of trial and error. We simply won't know how well it works until we experience it. I'm cool with auditioning some places every month. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.