main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Suggestions for the FF/JC party

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Obi Anne , Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Last year we had a great party, and we want to have one next year as well. For those of you who were there, what was good, what didn't work?

For everyone, what would you like to see when we try to organize the best fan party?

2. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    The only thing I can remember from the party that was a little bothersome was the seating, didn't seem like there was quite enough, especially if you weren't there with out people. I was able to meet a lot of cool people by standing, but it would have been nice to sit as well. I liked the food, and loved the band. Having the Clone Wars crew and other special guests was a great part of your party. I would think if you did things along the same lines people would be happy.

3. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    Agreed about the guests. That was really awesome. On the negative side, the band audio was just too loud for that room. Also, I think that the live broadcast online to those who couldn't make it was a pain. I was DJ'ing part of the time and to read people's comments with them complaining about music being played at an event that they weren't even at was a bit annoying. The audio issues with the microphone were difficult as well. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. I had an amazing time.

4. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    [face_dancing]

I thought the live feed was fun. If specific people feel the need to make snotty comments, that's their problem, ain't it? ;) Don't let them ruin the fun for those who enjoy it.

Like I mentioned in the CV party post-mortem, I think the basic set-up for the party was correct, but it might make sense to rent several smaller, connected rooms instead of one large one. That way a band could be in one area, the raffles could be in another, and people who just want to chat could be in a third, and they wouldn't interfere with one another as much.

5. jthornto

jthornto Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2005

We had a great time and the RMFF would be happy to help out again.

My only suggestion is to get somebody who speaks English to be the MC. ;)

6. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    The party was perfect. Holy Hell.
    Lather, rinse,repeat.

7. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I could do a dramatic reading of the thread which everyone seems to know me for...

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Would love more places to sit, and a quieter area to be social -

Definitely keep the live feed, and I LOVED the memorial video mentioning our freinds now gone.

9. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    +1 :)

10. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Location was good. Room size seemed to be good. Food and drink, all good. Raffle was great.

My only complaint, which I posted before, was the band. I viewed this party as a social gathering. A chance to finally meet and talk to people you only know online. Once that band started playing, no one could talk. Also, the style of the band just didn't seem to "fit" with the type of party it was.
    There needs to be music, just not music that is that loud. I don't think a live band is necessary for this type of party.

So, FWIW, I vote for no live music.

11. Jedi_Five

Jedi_Five Jedi Master star 1

Jul 23, 2010
    I was at the party. It was great to meet people. Wonderful location, as it was just across the street from the hotel I was staying at (Comfort Inn). Delicious food and loved the celebration drink! The best of all is that I got Kyle Newman's signature on my Fanboys DVD! There was just about no wait to meet him either! Fantastic! That alone was worth the admission price!

Now to complaints... The band was not the kind of music I was expecting at a Star Wars event and it was so loud! I couldn't talk / hear anything else! I thought it was just me, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. I would suggest no live band... maybe 80s music? I love the 80s and I think that music goes well with Star Wars since it is from the 80s and such. But that is only my opinion. Maybe playing the SW soundtrack for some time would be a good idea too. Maybe alternate from a CD with 80s music, to Star Wars soundtrack, to pop music or something else.

12. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Can't believe I forgot to comment on the celebrities. That may have been the highlight of the week for me. To just be standing around at a cocktail party, chatting in a circle of people that includes Matt Senreich (Robot Chicken) and Tom Kane...priceless. These guys just hung out and talked with everyone. It was great. No one was pushing for autographs or photos, everyone just talked. As it should be at a party like that.

Hats off to whoever got all of those guys to show up.

13. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Oh! Should mention I LOVE my 'TFN/Official Pix' Pin - in fact, it still hangs on one of my Work Lanyards from the rear view mirror of my car. :D

Oh - a suggestion - Maybe a 'check in wall' with RL photo/TFN name so we can find people we want to meet without scanning name tags.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I have no complaints about the last one. It was above and beyond amazing and well put together. I liked the live feed and the music, I mean, sure it wasn't music I'd go out of my way to listen to in my own time, but it was still nice to have the option to listen to it if I felt like it or just move to the other side of the room if I wanted to talk. It wasn't over-packed, just the right amount of people. Not to mention, the chairs in the lobby outside that no one was using made for a perfect quiet area for people who didn't want to listen to the band.

And the drinks were great.

15. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    I would also vote for a DJ over a band. Keep the music at a reasonable level. I think fans are much more interested in socializing than a dance party. There is a massive 501st party that caters more toward that. I noticed that the party spilled out into the lobby as a result of the far too loud music/audio issues, and inadequate seating. Might I suggest more chairs, less/smaller tables? I feel like the entire edge/border of that room should have been lined in chairs for people to sit if they need to, with only a few tables really needed.

TFN is able to get some unique guests to attend the party to interact with fans. That Dave Filoni was walking around, along with half a dozen authors, was an amazing experience. I feel like this continue as best those running the party are able to make it happen. Also, the fact that this was a separate day from both the official CV party and the 501st party was clutch. Keep up the good planning that way.

The audio issues made the raffle and any sorts of announcements unintelligible. A detailed sound-check early on ought to prevent this in the future. The raffle itself didn't hold much appeal for me personally, though I presume there was a good cause associated with it.

I think it would also be nice for there to be some way for community fans to better identify each other. This might be something as simple as "My Name Is" tags with forum handles on them, or something more complex like either a guest book, or a laptop for check-ins on a thread in here perhaps?

It might also be nice if we could take over that lobby, and maybe some of the smaller fan organizations not big enough to be part of the actual convention could sort of set up a table or have a check-in area for their sub-communities.

I think the best thing you could do is keep the party un-structured in terms of events, but have little areas where things are going on, like the caricature artists from before.

I think a larger room than last time might also be necessary.

Anyway, I believe CV's party was a great success, and I look forward to CVI's!

16. -Commander_Thigh-

-Commander_Thigh- Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2004
    I thought we were all pretty identifiable by the nametags we wore.

17. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    We've already got a new idea for how to handle the raffle area/raffle winning. Well, not "new," since I stole it from the 501st Bash. But hey, if it works, then why not use it? ;)

18. D-Ludicrous

D-Ludicrous Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2006
    Like I said in another thread. Maybe we should not plan for the party on Saturday? We don't know what Lucasfilm/Reed/Disney are going to do but I don't think we want a repeat of last time. When the TFN party was rescheduled, because of the Last Tour to Endor, it conflicted with the Fan of the Forcecast party and the SWAN party, I was not able to get to the TFN or Forcecast party. This year I hope everything works out ok and I can get to all the parties I want to. I would like to see a lot of celebs there.

19. kina

kina Jedi Youngling

Jul 17, 2010
    I agree that maybe it should be held on a day other than Saturday. I also think the music should be a little lower so that you can socialize without leaving the room. It really was a good party and I also really appreciated and like my TFN pin which I still have.

20. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Yes, pleas, NO LOUD MUSIC. I hate shouting at parties and I'm old. I spent the last TFN/FF partY sitting on a sofa outside the party room talking to a friend.

How about forum tables at the party? Each table could be marked for various Fora. Or maybe each fora could do a centerpiece for their table. Something for people to gather around. And name badges with our names and screen names on them in a larger font.

21. JohnnyRose

JohnnyRose Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2011
    We've had name badges since C2 since I started the idea. I'm sure that we'll do the same thing, but its up to each individual person to create their own badge. We'll have a thread for that as it gets closer to the date.

22. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    There were name badges, and we also handed out stickers where you could write your name.

Also this time we are planning the party for Thursday from the start.

23. Darth-Dogfish-Head

Darth-Dogfish-Head Jedi Master star 4

Aug 5, 2004
    I really like the Thursday night idea! Then we have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to see all the people we met at the party again! Which night was it for CV? Sad I can't remember. Was it Thursday or Friday? I had a good time whichever day it was lol.

24. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    It was Thursday. Friday was 501st Bash and Saturday was Last Tour to Endor

25. NarCranor

NarCranor Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 1, 2005
    I'd like to echo that I think each forum on the JC boards sort of having its own table with some kind of forum rep would be pretty sweet. It'd help expedite new friendships, making it so that RPG people congregate, fan fiction people congregate, video gamers, novel readers, comic readers, toy collectors, costumers etc. Some neat little table centerpiece or something, maybe some sort of associated activity you can just walk over to that table and do? A PC set up with the TOR MMO running, or an RPG play session, or minis battles, or some printed out fan fiction to read. Whatever. I think it'd be fun to really make it about the community and highlight some of the things the community does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.